2021 CBA

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
· 2m
NFL players voted YES on the new collective bargaining agreement, per source.

The newly ratified CBA runs through 2030 and goes into effect immediately. Short term, that means one tag (franchise/transition) per team this year, plus higher minimum salaries, etc. Also, no “Final League Year” rules, which means teams have more flexibility to create cap space.
Pellisano also reported that the NFL management council has been told the cap for 2019 will be $198.2 mil. That's at the low end of the range that was previously reported.

spotract is using that number now (adjusted salary cap minus 2019 rollover). I believe they were using a $200 mil cap previously:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

The nfl.com story states, "The league estimates that as much as an additional $100 million will go to players immediately this season," presumably (?) as a result of changes to the salary scale. Frankly, I see a lot of vagueness in these stories about which year certain things will take affect. In any, case that's about a $3 mil per team bite into the cap.

These developments suggest a possible $5 mil reduction in available cap space than one might have thought yesterday. We'll just have to wait and see how this shakes out.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Around 500 players didn’t even vote on the new CBA!

If what I am reading is true, teams may be able to spend more in the upcoming Free Agency than originally thought.
I think you'll find that 80% participation in a relatively large body of eligible voters is a pretty high percentage regardless of who they are or what they are voting for, and given it is an anonymous vote makes it all the more likely to have 20% sit it out.

Not having to go on the record as "abstain" makes it easy not to take sides.

As for "spending more", maybe next year but not this year. See the post directly above this one.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Now that the CBA is a go, I think we are going to be seeing all sorts of teams resigning players before the start of Free Agency.

Some Packer Players sound off on the vote.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Side note on the new CBA and COVID-19. Will there be a 2020 NFL Season? I mean I think there will be, but 2 weeks ago I didn't think there was anyway that all NCAA Sports would be closed for the rest of the winter/Spring, the Masters would be shut down, etc.

Are NBA players still being paid or is there a clause that in the event of work stoppage like this, their checks stop too? If the NFL can only play half a season due to something similar, who is on the hook for the salaries?

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I agree and it will be interesting to see how many one year "prove it" deals will be signed in the next month.
I'm not going to get into all that other than to say I would presume the NFL CBA has a force majeure clause like the NBA's:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nbpa-warns...laries-amid-coronavirus-hiatus-184137329.html

However, it would stand to reason that you cannot apply force majeure to a signing bonus where the check has already been written and cashed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not going to get into all that other than to say I would presume the NFL CBA has a force majeure clause like the NBA's:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nbpa-warns...laries-amid-coronavirus-hiatus-184137329.html

However, it would stand to reason that you cannot apply force majeure to a signing bonus where the check has already been written and cashed.

Thanks, I hadn't take the time to look it up yet, but I think in the very near future, we all will be talking about the “Force Majeure” clause. Whether it is impacting the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc.

and yes.....that was what I was alluding to with "one year deals".....the money will be paid upfront, before a game is even played. With the potential of this COVID-19 situation to extend into the NFL season, I would be thinking more about the contracts I am writing this offseason, than I had in the past, if I was an NFL Owner/GM.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Thanks, I hadn't take the time to look it up yet, but I think in the very near future, we all will be talking about the “Force Majeure” clause. Whether it is impacting the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc.
OK, I went ahead and checked. Google and Adobe word search functions are our friends. There is only one instance of "force majeure" in the entire CBA, on page 193:

"Through the 2025 season, no more than ten regular season international games will be played each season unless a Club is displaced from its existing stadium due to damage, other force majeure events, construction or renovation."

I have no idea where those "other events" are defined and the provisions that go with them spelled out. I'm not sure how much there will be to talk about if it comes to that other that citing the reporting on the matter.

I'm sure these provisions are pretty common in corporate contracts but the only time I can recall hearing of them being applied is in the oil and gas industry where a contract for delivery is suspended due to some extreme event.

D

Deleted member 6794

17 games is interesting, more teams in the playoffs are interesting as well. I wonder if they made any ratifications based off of Rodgers feedback.

I don't think so as Rodgers was opposed to adding another regular season game.

Now that the CBA is a go, I think we are going to be seeing all sorts of teams resigning players before the start of Free Agency.

Some Packer Players sound off on the vote.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Interestingly it seems the players complaining about the new CBA are the ones who have already made a shitload of money.

and yes.....that was what I was alluding to with "one year deals".....the money will be paid upfront, before a game is even played.

Actually the base salary will be paid in weekly game checks. Players only receive the signing bonus upfront.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Actually the base salary will be paid in weekly game checks. Players only receive the signing bonus upfront.

Sorry, I worded that poorly. When I said "money paid up front", I was referring to bonuses (not game day) and guaranteed money on those one year contracts. If no games were played, that money would essentially be lost by the team. I much prefer game day bonuses, if you can't suit up, you don't earn your bonus.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sorry, I worded that poorly. When I said "money paid up front", I was referring to bonuses (not game day) and guaranteed money on those one year contracts. If no games were played, that money would essentially be lost by the team. I much prefer game day bonuses, if you can't suit up, you don't earn your bonus.

I guess players wouldn't receive their base salary if games aren't played either though.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I guess players wouldn't receive their base salary if games aren't played either though.
That would be my guess. Any signing bonuses paid out in cash money is gone. It's not entirely clear to me when those checks are written, one big fat check at signing or paid out in increments on a schedule over months or a year. I'd guess it varies by contract.

I'd imagine if a signing bonus check has not been written at the time a force majeure is imposed, it would be suspended.

Teams have lots and lots of other expenses, probably more than player payroll. Some may be suspended, some may not. I just depends who you don't mind p*ssing off ;). Murphy mentioned that depite having zero net income last fiscal year the Packers are in a strong financial position with a sizeable reserve, $400 mil was the number I believe. So, in the event of a suspension of play, even with no revenue coming in, the franchise can muddle along for quite awhile.

Members online

Latest posts