2020 Salary Cap Situation

D

Deleted member 6794

Pretty much agree with you. Bulaga is a tough one though because we really need to have someone good there and he may not be easy to find. But I would certainly like to go younger and fresher there. I'd also like to see Jenkins try out center and find a good run blocking L guard that can move the man in front of him on short yardage. But Lancaster?? What do you see here?

Jenkins played center for the majority of his college career therefore he should be a good fit at the position at the pro level as well. The Packers would have to add a decent left guard if they decide to move him inside though.

The way I'd address our TE situation ... Let Graham walk, re-sign the Mercedes, make either him or Tonyan number 1, the other number 2, and then Sternberger number 3, and as long as he proves not to be injury prone this year, we'll find out whether he's boom or bust.

Gutekunst definitely shouldn't feel confident about entering the season with Lewis, Tonyan and Sternberger at tight end.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HRE said...
That gets you to $24.2 mil available for free agency.
1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes but not completely necessary
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Yes
7. Yes probably
8. 50/50 wouldn't hurt but certainly not necessary
9. Yes probably
so if those guys are resigned that leaves enough for what...one impact guy? a couple of, or 3, hole fillers? this team is way more than one impact guy away from being...really good.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutekunst definitely shouldn't feel confident about entering the season with Lewis, Tonyan and Sternberger at tight end.

Ridiculous!! Lewis and Tonyan can get the job done just as well if not better than that slow old Graham. Sternberger I don't know, but with his high pick Gute obviously expected him to play on a high level. If he doesn't, well big wasted pick then.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much agree with you. Bulaga is a tough one though because we really need to have someone good there and he may not be easy to find. But I would certainly like to go younger and fresher there. I'd also like to see Jenkins try out center and find a good run blocking L guard that can move the man in front of him on short yardage.

Jenkins was a terrific LG last season for the team, moving him to center should be one of the last things the coaches try. Let him become a Pro Bowl LG for years to come, don't mess around by moving him to center.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- WR: I don't think Gute has to spend top money at WR to improve the team. Mid tier $5-7M/year should do it. Then grab a rookie in the first 3 rounds of the draft. That vet + rookie, along with Adams and the youngsters on the current roster are going to be enough. Maybe a Tajae Sharpe or Breshad Perriman type.

- TE: Of the 3, I would spend the most on this position while the getting is good and lock up a quality starter for 3-4 years. Once Kittle signs his new deal, the market is going to be blown up. All that changes if the coaches love Sternberger and think he is the future.

-ILB: I think here is another place you don't have to blow your ***, but you do have to at least try to find one free agent and hope for a top rookie to fall to #30 (Murray or Queen).

I think people are going to be shocked at how much Perriman makes, some team is going to see what he did in Tampa and pay him a bunch of money on a one-year deal. As for Sharpe, I bet he could be had in that price range but I'm not sure the Packers wouldn't do better to just pay more for a guy with more upside. I'd be happy with the team spending $10m on a guy like Anderson who can provide experience and speed to the receiving group (not ideal but counting on a WR to make an immediate impact at WR is tough). AJ Green is a guy I would want the Packers to break the bank for if the medical staff says he's okay.

As for TE, I really like the idea of seeing what Lazard can do at TE (he's only 10lbs less than Tonyan). Counting on Sternberger is nice, but history shows TEs take 3-4 years to actually become great players, if they are going to actually break out. Hunter Henry would be an amazing target here and would allow the Packers to skip paying for a starting-caliber WR in free agency.

As for ILB, I like Murray in the 2nd round (but not the first) and Queen is just too small to hold up against the run unless the packers can get some better dline play. The only "name" free agent at ILB that I think would provide an immediate upgrade would be Littleton but he's also kind of smaller and would need more protection up front than what the Packers were able to provide last year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Honestly, I have as much confidence with a Lewis, Tonyan and healthy Sternberger than I had this past season with Graham, Lewis and Tonyan (Jace Inj.) Lewis has never felt better (his words not mine) and I feel can take a slightly expanded role, Tonyan and Jace both show progress to handling an expanded role as well. IF we add a veteran but capable WR, I have no problem with drafting a TE and rolling with those four or maybe bring in another Veteran TE instead of drafting.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for ILB, I like Murray in the 2nd round (but not the first) and Queen is just too small to hold up against the run unless the packers can get some better dline play. The only "name" free agent at ILB that I think would provide an immediate upgrade would be Littleton but he's also kind of smaller and would need more protection up front than what the Packers were able to provide last year.

Neither are going to be available past Pick #40 so who do you like in the mid-rounds?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Jenkins was a terrific LG last season for the team, moving him to center should be one of the last things the coaches try. Let him become a Pro Bowl LG for years to come, don't mess around by moving him to center.

Have to agree. It appears that the average salaries for the 2 positions are pretty close at around $3.5M/year. So its not like you are trying to save cap money by shifting him over to a "more expensive" position.

While Linsley is a pretty good Center, if they can find a decent replacement for a lot less money than the $10.5 M they will shell out for him, take the $2M Dead cap hit, cut him and invest that saved $8.5M in a new center and elsewhere.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither are going to be available past Pick #40 so who do you like in the mid-rounds?

I'd be fine with the Packers taking Baun in round 2 or later. Other than that, not real sure, I don't follow ILB play closely enough to know 4th round or later type guys.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HRE said...

so if those guys are resigned that leaves enough for what...one impact guy? a couple of, or 3, hole fillers? this team is way more than one impact guy away from being...really good.
We are not going to get more than 1 quality player in FA anyway. We might as well create depth and cut Graham in order to sign one quality player at a position of need and once experienced veteran at another. Either way, our draft is mostly going to determine how our season goes.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We are not going to get more than 1 quality player in FA anyway. We might as well create depth and cut Graham in order to sign one quality player at a position of need and once experienced veteran at another. Either way, our draft is mostly going to determine how our season goes.

I think cutting Graham is pretty much a foregone conclusion, just a matter of when they do it. Wouldn't shock me that they do if before Free Agency starts, to give him a chance to sign with another team.

Gute will take the Graham savings, potentially the cutting of Linsley savings, plus whatever else in the bank they have earmarked for 2020 and be able to do a few creative things in Free Agency with it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the doom and gloom is setting in a touch for folks....we are coming off of a #2 NFC seeded run, ran table in division and made it to the conference championship.

Our current glaring holes are:

-Starting RT
-Starting ILB
-Clear #2 WR

Then holes that are a step down IMO (in no particular order):
-Clear #1 TE
-ILB #2
-Depth behind Kenny Clark
-Starting Kicker

After that obviously depth and such is crucial but let's not over analyze and make it seem like the shelves are utterly bare.

Of those, really only two of them are logically solved with re-signings (Bulaga and Crosby) if we would choose to do so.

I have outlined my thoughts on ILB, WR and TE on so many threads I'll keep it condensed, you need to come out of FA filling either a clear #1 TE or a clear #2 WR or starting #1 ILB...do not expect a for sure two of three and use the draft for the others and depth maybe at both with late round.

In a perfect scenario to me:

WR - Sign a #2 WR in Free Agency, use draft to supplement
TE - Sign Lewis and then either another veteran or draft another as supplement.
ILB - IF we make the capital sign the Rams guy....if not we IMO have to count on drafting our Martinez successor.
Depth behind Kenny either has to be a cheap veteran/free agent or draft
RT - Re-sign Bulaga and use draft
Kicker - I don't care enough about the position to mind any way we handle it.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for TE, I really like the idea of seeing what Lazard can do at TE (he's only 10lbs less than Tonyan). Counting on Sternberger is nice, but history shows TEs take 3-4 years to actually become great players, if they are going to actually break out. Hunter Henry would be an amazing target here and would allow the Packers to skip paying for a starting-caliber WR in free agency.

I don't know if Lazard could be a TE, so I'm not a fan.

That said, you can just play a flexed WR, say 1-2 yards outside the tackle, and run typical TE routes. It doesn't solve the blocking problem, but it IS a way to do TE things with a WR body in the passing game. It's also could be the sort of thing MLF meant when he said he wants to run "big slot concepts" or whatever phrasing he used.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As for TE, I really like the idea of seeing what Lazard can do at TE.

If we were loaded at WR and Lazard was our 4th or 5th best option, then maybe worth the experiment. However, we aren't loaded at WR and with Lazard probably defacto #2 at this point, better to leave him at WR and let him improve.

As some have said, there are a few ways to improve the Packers passing attack, via the TE, WR's or both. As much as I would like to see someone like Hunter Henry or Austin Hooper signed, that would almost be like giving up on 2019 3rd round pick Sternberger. Not to mention deplete a good portion of the cap money Gute has to spend in Free Agency. While having an instant solid TE and the possibility of a good 2nd if Jace pans out, I would prefer spreading that money out over 2-3 positions of need. I would also lean towards ILB and WR as my top FA priorities, if there happens to be some available.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we were loaded at WR and Lazard was our 4th or 5th best option, then maybe worth the experiment. However, we aren't loaded at WR and with Lazard probably defacto #2 at this point, better to leave him at WR and let him improve.

As some have said, there are a few ways to improve the Packers passing attack, via the TE, WR's or both. As much as I would like to see someone like Hunter Henry or Austin Hooper signed, that would almost be like giving up on 2019 3rd round pick Sternberger. Not to mention deplete a good portion of the cap money Gute has to spend in Free Agency. While having an instant solid TE and the possibility of a good 2nd if Jace pans out, I would prefer spreading that money out over 2-3 positions of need. I would also lean towards ILB and WR as my top FA priorities, if there happens to be some available.

100% agree as I see the TE position when weighed against our need at ILB and WR as 4th in need :D

I would not be opposed to investing in TE, but I 100% believe in re-signing Lewis and drafting a 4th TE personally is more than fine...especially if it allows some cash spent on a #2 WR

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I 100% believe in re-signing Lewis

I see that happening. He is a good fit into the offense, blocks well, wants to play and something that can't be understated, he is a great locker room guy. Sometimes players like Mercedes don't show up big in the stat sheets, but the positive things that they do on and off the field, are a big plus.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not sure that moving him to TE would really be much of a difference, would it? I mean, basically it would just mean he blocks closer to the line more often and then just plays slot as usual. He's a huge, not very fast, reliable WR who will go over the middle. If he can add 10-15 lbs, and be an adequate blocker (big ask), he could become a very dangerous TE in the NFL.

I disagree on signing Henry being the equivalent of giving up on Sternberger. Having two good TEs is an amazing bonus for pretty much any offense so the upside of having both being good players is there and, more importantly, the chances of Sternberger becoming a good TE in the NFL during his rookie contract are pretty slim. Most TEs don't show their true worth until 4-5 years down the line.

D

Deleted member 6794

this team is way more than one impact guy away from being...really good.

The Packers need to upgrade the talent level at some positions but they were already a really good team last season making it to the NFCCG.

Ridiculous!! Lewis and Tonyan can get the job done just as well if not better than that slow old Graham. Sternberger I don't know, but with his high pick Gute obviously expected him to play on a high level. If he doesn't, well big wasted pick then.

While Graham didn't perform up to his contract he had more catches and yards than Lewis, Tonyan and Sternberger combined.

The Packers need to improve at the position and just getting rid of Graham and relying on Tonyan and Sternberger to develop into decent players doesn't cut it for me.

Once again, Jenkins played center for most of his college career. It wouldn't mess with him being moved inside again.

Honestly, I have as much confidence with a Lewis, Tonyan and healthy Sternberger than I had this past season with Graham, Lewis and Tonyan (Jace Inj.) Lewis has never felt better (his words not mine) and I feel can take a slightly expanded role, Tonyan and Jace both show progress to handling an expanded role as well. IF we add a veteran but capable WR, I have no problem with drafting a TE and rolling with those four or maybe bring in another Veteran TE instead of drafting.

Overall the tight end group was pretty bad last season. The Packers should definitely try to upgrade the position and not be content with it performing on the same level.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capt...you are awesome at bringing up points of contention or disagreement...however never state (unless I missed it) a preferred path or plan you realistically wanna see the organization go in the off season? Curious of your full thoughts?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, Jenkins played center for most of his college career. It wouldn't mess with him being moved inside again.

He might have played center for most of his college career and even been very good at it. However, for the entirety of his NFL career he has been one of the best left guards in the NFL. Now, if the Packers can't find a decent center and he's the best option? Then sure, move him, but that should be a last choice, not a starting strategy.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He might have played center for most of his college career and even been very good at it. However, for the entirety of his NFL career he has been one of the best left guards in the NFL. Now, if the Packers can't find a decent center and he's the best option? Then sure, move him, but that should be a last choice, not a starting strategy.

That however isn't the case with Patrick signed and ready with experience in GB as the center. I agree 100%, why mess with one of the best left guards in the NFL.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers need to upgrade the talent level at some positions but they were already a really good team last season making it to the NFCCG.
nah. not really. team stats, performances, and the eye test, say otherwise. they were an above average team that got really lucky...which every successful team gets but the Packers were especially blessed.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nah. not really. team stats, performances, and the eye test, say otherwise. they were an above average team that got really lucky...which every successful team gets but the Packers were especially blessed.

Mere above average teams don't go undefeated in the NFC North.

Reaction score
Have to agree. It appears that the average salaries for the 2 positions are pretty close at around $3.5M/year. So its not like you are trying to save cap money by shifting him over to a "more expensive" position.

While Linsley is a pretty good Center, if they can find a decent replacement for a lot less money than the $10.5 M they will shell out for him, take the $2M Dead cap hit, cut him and invest that saved $8.5M in a new center and elsewhere.
Of the OL. It’s the position that is least volatile upfront and less difficult to replace as let’s say, OT.

Corey Linsley was drafted at #161 overall and started immediately. He played 16 games his rookie season. His 10.5M cap saving if released, has to draw some conversation from the GB brass. If I felt I had an adequate contingency plan.. that’s a contract I’m looking at replacing. That roughly near 10Mil goes a long ways in resigning our veteran FA pool and by going after his successor.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Of the OL. It’s the position that is least volatile upfront and less difficult to replace as let’s say, OT.

Corey Linsley was drafted at #161 overall and started immediately. He played 16 games his rookie season. His 10.5M cap saving if released, has to draw some conversation from the GB brass. If I felt I had an adequate contingency plan.. that’s a contract I’m looking at replacing. That roughly near 10Mil goes a long ways in resigning our veteran FA pool and by going after his successor.

Agreed, although the Packers will only clear $8.5M if they cut Lindlsey, since they would take a dead cap hit of $2M on his already paid outs.

I think its a given that the Packers will cut Lane Taylor and save $4.2 million. While it would be nice to add the $8.5M by cutting Lindsley, if you throw in the possibility of not resigning Bulaga, all of a sudden your OL depth is very thin. Patrick (Center) and Veldheer (RT) are possible instant replacements in that scenario. But then you better hit it big in Free Agency and the draft for backups, which I think you can.

Members online

Latest posts