2020 Offseason

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
For what it's worth, this might explain why Tonyan didn't do a whole lot in 2019. Even with this news, the Packers cannot afford to view him as anyone but a 3rd or 4th TE.

TE Robert Tonyan underwent core muscle surgery in Philadelphia, according to agent, Jack Bechta. Said the injury bothered Tonyan all year and explains why he couldn’t run the same. William Meyer, who has done the procedure for other #Packers, was the surgeon.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see any reason why Sternberger can't be as impactful as Hooper.

Hoop is obviously a good pass catcher, but he's a high volume safety valve. Practically get nothing after the catch. I know him and Sterny tested similar, but Sterny seems to play with a bit more juice. Hooper is a fine player, but for the money he's going to attract, I'd rather spend it on more useful players.

I'd be fine running back Sterny, Lewis, Tonyan, and then drafting or signing another player. Spending a good amount of money on Hooper just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, let me put it this way then. Solely taking a look at Hooper's production on third down doesn't offer a fair evaluation of his overall production.

The Packers tried to make fans believe they brought in real competition for Crosby by having Ficken in camp. Actually he was never given a chance to win the job though.
What happened to Ficken? I thought he landed a job, but not sure.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You said Crosby had declining skills, you said Crosby's life gets in his way. all i was saying was that Crosby had an almost perfect season, despite his home issues, give him the credit he deserves there

I did not say he HAD declining skills I said if it was that or just that I would agree, but adding the other stuff on it I'm not ok with what the OP was throwing out on Crosby

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Much like the Bears getting rid of Robbie Gould, the Jets decided not to resign their Pro Bowl Kicker Jason Myers and Ficken was the 4th Kicker they tried afterwards and he stuck, kicking a measly 70.4% last season.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't follow the Jets, so I don't know. I do know Crosby continued to make clutch kicks and for a fact, one of his 2 total misses was near the end of a game, when it didn't matter.

I think this is why Crosby has stuck so long with the Packers. People can pull up stats of missed kicks or length of kicks, but for the most part, Crosby has been pretty good in the clutch for the Packers.

Oh come on, Crosby made two winning chip shot field goals from 33 and 23 yards respectively last season. That doesn't make him clutch by any means.

And let me put it this way-- solely taking a look at Hooper's production on third doesn't isn't meant to be an evaluation of his overall production. It's an evaluation of his production on... wait for it... 3rd down.

But that should be considered, but 3rd down conversions are a big need in the pass catching corps.

I agree that Hooper's production on third down should definitely be considered but I think you put too much stock into it. In my opinion he's the free agent on offense best suited to improve the Packers receiving corps for next season and would be excited if Gutekunst is able to sign him.

matthews? my response was about your comment about daniels.

There was no way of me realizing that as you replied to a post in which I was talking about Matthews.

I don't see any reason why Sternberger can't be as impactful as Hooper.

While Sternberger might develop into a decent receiving tight end at some point the Packers shouldn't rely on a player with a total of three career receptions to carry the load at the position.

Ficken signed with the Jets and kicked for them in all 16 games last season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree that Hooper's production on third down should definitely be considered but I think you put too much stock into it. In my opinion he's the free agent on offense best suited to improve the Packers receiving corps for next season and would be excited if Gutekunst is able to sign him.

Oh? How much stock am I putting into it? I had a number of things to say about Hooper, 3rd down performance being one of them.

I actually agree with you. Apart from unrealistic options who will either get tagged, resigned, or cost too much (i.e. Cooper and Henry), Hooper is probably legitimately one of the best options.

However, I would say that reflects more on how poor this pool of FA options is than Hooper's quality as a FA target.

Hooper is a mediocre blocker and a safety valve of a receiver. He gets a lot of targets very close to the LOS, thus pumping up his catch % with high percentage passes, and he isn't effective gaining yards or first downs after the catch. So he's essentially just a guy at the position. I don't think the Packers would be doing themselves a favor by making him the league's highest paid TE.

Gute already made a mediocre TE the highest paid player at his position and we have basically been counting down the days since until we could cut him and get out from under his contract. Why do that again?

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh? How much stock am I putting into it? I had a number of things to say about Hooper, 3rd down performance being one of them.

I actually agree with you. Apart from unrealistic options who will either get tagged, resigned, or cost too much (i.e. Cooper and Henry), Hooper is probably legitimately one of the best options.

However, I would say that reflects more on how poor this pool of FA options is than Hooper's quality as a FA target.

Hooper is a mediocre blocker and a safety valve of a receiver. He gets a lot of targets very close to the LOS, thus pumping up his catch % with high percentage passes, and he isn't effective gaining yards or first downs after the catch. So he's essentially just a guy at the position. I don't think the Packers would be doing themselves a favor by making him the league's highest paid TE.

Gute already made a mediocre TE the highest paid player at his position and we have basically been counting down the days since until we could cut him and get out from under his contract. Why do that again?

The Packers definitely shouldn't make Hooper the highest paid tight end in the league but he could improve the receiving corps, especially if the Packers add a playmaker to line up opposite of Adams in the draft.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers definitely shouldn't make Hooper the highest paid tight end in the league but he could improve the receiving corps, especially if the Packers add a playmaker to line up opposite of Adams in the draft.

How much should they pay him?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Well I agree that he would improve the receiving options, but the early predictions have been that he's going to reset the TE market, which would mean 11M+. That doesn't mean it's a foregone conclusion that it will happen. But it doesn't beg the question-- how much is he worth?

D

Deleted member 6794

Well I agree that he would improve the receiving options, but the early predictions have been that he's going to reset the TE market, which would mean 11M+. That doesn't mean it's a foregone conclusion that it will happen. But it doesn't beg the question-- how much is he worth?

Kittle will be the one resetting the tight end market. If Hooper wants similar money the Packers should pass on him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Kittle will be the one resetting the tight end market. If Hooper wants similar money the Packers should pass on him.

Obviously whenever Kittle gets extended, he is going to get more money than Hooper. When people say that Hooper is potentially going to "reset" the market, they are saying that he is going to beat the current high salary at the position, which on annual average is actually Jimmy Graham at 10M.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Please stop acting as if Crosby has been a clutch kicker for most of his career.

LOL.....I think instead of going down this Rabbit hole for about the 7th season in a row, we should just agree to disagree and be thankful for the Packers position on the subject matter. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Obviously whenever Kittle gets extended, he is going to get more money than Hooper. When people say that Hooper is potentially going to "reset" the market, they are saying that he is going to beat the current high salary at the position, which on annual average is actually Jimmy Graham at 10M.

I said that a month or so ago. I think if the Packers really do want to sign a top FA TE this season, they are going to pay a lot less if they can do it before Kittle's contract is reworked. Fingers crossed that the 9'ers and Kittle aren't in any hurry to give him a new contract anytime soon. I think its actually to Kittle and his agents advantage to wait and see where Free Agent TE's sign, resetting the market, just for Kittle to leap over and reset again.

Hooper and Hunter Henry are sure to pass the $10M/year Graham was getting paid, but I have seen $14-15M/year being talked about for Kittle.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be for adding Hooper. That may spell the end of Tonyan's time with us, or Lewis' which would be unfortunate. But the ceiling for Hooper seems higher than Tonyan's, and certainly (offensively) is higher than Lewis. Then we see what we get with Jace over the next few years.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I disagree with a lot of people here on this (especially you), but I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on a TE. We have other places to spend that money wisely.