2019 Post-Draft Period

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burks played LB, or a role very similar to a LB, more frequently than he played safety in college.

And Jamaal Williams never took a snap on defense for us? What are you talking about?

Use your head JJ. Its pretty obvious what he did. Its not the first time someone confused players with the same last name.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Use your head JJ. Its pretty obvious what he did. Its not the first time someone confused players with the same last name.

Fair enough.

Tramon Williams has far more success at safety in comparison to Oren Burks. Moving Burks to safety is ludicrous.

Reaction score
Amen. Thank You for recognizing that.
Janis is smart, but he’ll soon learn one day that type of behavior isn’t fooling anyone and is more inferior to himself than anyone else.

Reaction score
Fair enough.
Tramon Williams has far more success at safety in comparison to Oren Burks. Moving Burks to safety is ludicrous.
Really? Burks is ludicrous at Safety? The last year Burks played any meaningful snaps at Safety he led his team in interceptions. He started the majority of his college career in the Safety role. 2013 he switched to Safety and started 23 games at Safety and another 10 starts added to that at ILB/S between 2014-2016. He led the team in INT the last season he played the dedicated Safety role and was ranked in the top 10 in the SEC at the FS position.

From the VU Commodores website..
Burks started every game in the secondary in his third year on campus... Handled the Commodores' free safety chores, running consecutive starts streak to 16 games by end of regular season... Posted single-season career highs in numerous categories, including 34 solo stops, 58 total tackles, 2.0 tackles for loss... Earned postseason third team All-SEC recognition from Phil Steele publications... Topped team and ranked among SEC's Top Ten with three interceptions... Posted at least three tackles in 10 of 12 appearances... Ended season on high note, setting game highs of eight solo tackles and nine total stops vs. Tennessee... Earned SEC's Defensive Player of the Week and Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl Player of the Week honors after registering two interceptions, one returned for a touchdown, in victory over Kentucky... Contributed at least four tackles in each of first six games... Third interception came at Ole Miss... Moved to linebacker-safety position during 2016 spring drills.

That’s one season of three he played with 33 listed starts in some capacity at Safety. All with very solid .. if not stellar results.

Please show us your obvious and continual infinite wisdom in calling Burks ludicrous at Safety... Please display for the rest of us ONE season that Tramon has played an entire season as a dedicated Safety with anywhere close to those accolades??

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burks never really struck me as a guy that was a safety, but on paper at least he's more of an athlete than someone like Ha Ha. I'm sure he's gained weight etc since his safety days, but i'm not going to pretend to know his better place. I feel it's a cover linebacker, but I'll leave it to the professionals.

as for Jones, he has skills, is definitely better around the LOS, MUST get better in the passing game. Still looks lost in that regard to me. It's a **** or get off the pot year for him. While a safety that can play at the LOS can be valuable, and he can certainly do it, if they can't play the stuff on the back end at all that value is diminished because teams will find a way to exploit that every time.

D

Deleted member 6794

as for Jones, he has skills, is definitely better around the LOS, MUST get better in the passing game. Still looks lost in that regard to me. It's a **** or get off the pot year for him. While a safety that can play at the LOS can be valuable, and he can certainly do it, if they can't play the stuff on the back end at all that value is diminished because teams will find a way to exploit that every time.

With the Packers having added Amos and Savage this offseason they probably won't need Jones lining up on the back end anymore, hopefully resulting in his performance improving.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Burks is ludicrous at Safety? The last year Burks played any meaningful snaps at Safety he led his team in interceptions. He started the majority of his college career in the Safety role. 2013 he switched to Safety and started 23 games at Safety and another 10 starts added to that at ILB/S between 2014-2016. He led the team in INT the last season he played the dedicated Safety role and was ranked in the top 10 in the SEC at the FS position.

From the VU Commodores website..
Burks started every game in the secondary in his third year on campus... Handled the Commodores' free safety chores, running consecutive starts streak to 16 games by end of regular season... Posted single-season career highs in numerous categories, including 34 solo stops, 58 total tackles, 2.0 tackles for loss... Earned postseason third team All-SEC recognition from Phil Steele publications... Topped team and ranked among SEC's Top Ten with three interceptions... Posted at least three tackles in 10 of 12 appearances... Ended season on high note, setting game highs of eight solo tackles and nine total stops vs. Tennessee... Earned SEC's Defensive Player of the Week and Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl Player of the Week honors after registering two interceptions, one returned for a touchdown, in victory over Kentucky... Contributed at least four tackles in each of first six games... Third interception came at Ole Miss... Moved to linebacker-safety position during 2016 spring drills.

That’s one season of three he played with 33 listed starts in some capacity at Safety. All with very solid .. if not stellar results.

Please show us your obvious and continual infinite wisdom in calling Burks ludicrous at Safety... Please display for the rest of us ONE season that Tramon has played an entire season as a dedicated Safety with anywhere close to those accolades??

Burks, who has done nothing but train to play LB in the NFL, is not going to play safety in the NFL.

Now...Burks was an ok college safety. But this ain't college. It's the NFL. Burks is 230+ pounds...he's not playing safety at that. Look at other players like him in the NFL. They're all at LB/Dime. Saying that he IS a successful NFL safety bc he played ok there in college is crazy.

D

Deleted member 6794

Burks, who has done nothing but train to play LB in the NFL, is not going to play safety in the NFL.

Now...Burks was an ok college safety. But this ain't college. It's the NFL. Burks is 230+ pounds...he's not playing safety at that. Look at other players like him in the NFL. They're all at LB/Dime. Saying that he IS a successful NFL safety bc he played ok there in college is crazy.

You have to realize that Burks is 6-3 and a pretty good athlete. He might be able to line up at strong safety in the NFL.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to realize that Burks is 6-3 and a pretty good athlete. He might be able to line up at strong safety in the NFL.

I'm aware of his size and athleticism.

You have to realize that Burks is essentially a bigger than usual dime LB, that can hopefully develop enough to play all 3 downs. He is playing a role similar to when SS's drop into a "LB" role, but he's doing it permanently.

Could he line up at SS? Maybe. Could he do it well? I doubt it.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough.

Sorry, that sounded harsher than I intended. Meant to put a :D after it.

I agree moving Burks would be foolish. As far as Williams playing safety, while not ideal, at least he has played the position before at this level. If someone can beat him out as a starting corner having him as a backup CB and emergency S wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen. Thank You for recognizing that.
Janis is smart, but he’ll soon learn one day that type of behavior isn’t fooling anyone and is more inferior to himself than anyone else.

There have been times when I have posted similar comments even though I knew it was in response to an honest mistake. I'd like to think most of us regulars know each other well enough to see it for what it is. Even if we get along in some cases where its a an issue we disagree on we may be tempted to correct an honest mistake and it seems like we are taking a shot. I'm sure we have all done it or at least been tempted. The problem is we can't always tell if its a joke or something else.

Here is where you go back and edit your post to correct it and then when people see his post they think "What the heck are YOU talking about Janis" ;)

Reaction score

1. You didn’t answer the question. You sidestepped.
2. I never said Burks is a successful NFL Safety. how could I make that determination if he’s never played a snap there? That makes zero sense to me.

I don’t care if you want to backpedal or sidestep a question I already know the answer to. But Next time you want to interject in a couple posters conversation by calling it “ludicrous” at least have something meaningful to say or contribute some substance like other posters do. Otherwise it’s a complete waste of time.
btw, players change weight all the time, so losing or gaining 10 lbs weight to move positions wouldn’t be preventative. Especially 10lbs on the athlete in question, He’s 6’3” JJ. You’re Smarter than that

D

Deleted member 6794

You have to realize that Burks is essentially a bigger than usual dime LB, that can hopefully develop enough to play all 3 downs. He is playing a role similar to when SS's drop into a "LB" role, but he's doing it permanently.

Could he line up at SS? Maybe. Could he do it well? I doubt it.

At this point there are reasonable concerns that Burks can perform at a decent level lining up at inside linebacker as well.

I'm not advocating moving him to strong safety but he might have the athleticism necessary to make it work.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Jets trade former 1st round pick ILB Darron Lee to the Chiefs for a 6th rounder. While Lee has been somewhat of a disappointing #20 pick, I can't help but think he might have improved the Packers at ILB and wonder if Gute was in the conversation to make the trade.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahh, the good 'ol days when Reggie Ragland and Darron Lee were all the rage and we picked some bum named named Kenny Clark.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
ahh, the good 'ol days when Reggie Ragland and Darron Lee were all the rage and we picked some bum named named Kenny Clark.

Yup and both have been traded to the Chiefs since they were drafted. Clark is definitely the better player of the 3, so well done Teddy! But can we talk about that draft trade to get Spriggs? :cautious: :whistling:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point there are reasonable concerns that Burks can perform at a decent level lining up at inside linebacker as well.

I'm not advocating moving him to strong safety but he might have the athleticism necessary to make it work.

If that is true about Burks, then the same must be true for your boy Josh Jackson, right? Cause dude got toasted the whole damn year.

Rookies typically struggle. Rookies who get hurt almost always struggle. Give em a couple years.

D

Deleted member 6794

If that is true about Burks, then the same must be true for your boy Josh Jackson, right? Cause dude got toasted the whole damn year.

Rookies typically struggle. Rookies who get hurt almost always struggle. Give em a couple years.

I'm not ready to give up on Burks by any means but am concerned he might not live up to his draft position. I would love to be wrong about it.

With you I have the feeling you're more interested in being right than the Packers benefitting from a player exceeding your exceptions though.

BTW Jackson performed at a way better level than Burks last season.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Not really familiar with this event, but should Packer fans be excited or disappointed that out of the 40 Rookies attending, none are Packers?

https://www.nflpa.com/rp

https://www.nflpa.com/rp/rookie-premiere-2019-player-list
This is an event intended to hook up players to possible endorsements, now or more likely down the line, an off-field job fair if you will. Sponsors will be assessing personality and filing away impressions.

Which players would be most attractive to sponsors, do you think? Fantasy stars, which means offensive skill position players. Who's on the list? Except for Bosa, they are all QBs, RBs, WRs and TEs. Who did the Packers draft in the first 2 rounds? Not those kinds of guys.

The closest you get to a question here is, "why isn't Sternberger on the list"? That's not much of a question.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts