2019 Post-Draft Period

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an event intended to hook up players to possible endorsements, now or more likely down the line, an off-field job fair if you will. Sponsors will be assessing personality and filing away impressions.

Which players would be most attractive to sponsors, do you think? Fantasy stars, which means offensive skill position players. Who's on the list? Except for Bosa, they are all QBs, RBs, WRs and TEs. Who did the Packers draft in the first 2 rounds? Not those kinds of guys.

The closest you get to a question here is, "why isn't Sternberger on the list"? That's not much of a question.

You are right. No cause for concern. Its like a speed dating event for endorsements.

Back when I was into card collecting I read that this was one event where card companies would pay the rookies to wear jerseys so they could cut them up into little pieces and put them in cards and call them "event worn' jerseys. The players changed jerseys many times throughout the course of the event.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know what you guys are talking about with respect to Burks - the guy is quite literally the worst football player on the planet.

Given his draft status, they have to give him a chance, but there's nothing to indicate he can play at all.

Seriously, I can't ever remember watching a guy more suited to selling insurance than Burks.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know what you guys are talking about with respect to Burks - the guy is quite literally the worst football player on the planet.

Given his draft status, they have to give him a chance, but there's nothing to indicate he can play at all.

Seriously, I can't ever remember watching a guy more suited to selling insurance than Burks.

Give me a break. If you're going for hyperbole, at least use appropriate words.

Reaction score
I don’t know how you can formulate that bold of a statement so prematurely into a career? You must’ve had super high expectations for him last year.
I’d give you more leeway for a top #15 type selection..but not a late 3rd rounder. Thats like me saying I think he’ll make the 1st team Probowl this year, it’s just way too early to make those drastic projections good or bad IMO.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know how you can formulate that bold of a statement so prematurely into a career? You must’ve had super high expectations for him last year.
I’d give you more leeway for a top #15 type selection..but not a late 3rd rounder. Thats like me saying I think he’ll make the 1st team Probowl this year, it’s just way too early to make those drastic projections good or bad IMO.

He was drafted solely on his athleticism. He had a great combine, and the Packers thought they could "coach him up".

Based on his college tape?? He should not have been drafted at all. He should have been an UDFA.

When they tried to put him on the field he was bad in every way he was bad in college. He was so bad, they couldn't even get him on the field for experience during garbage time.

Don't know what else to tell ya. He has no instincts for the game of football. He takes bad angles, he can't diagnose, he's just completely lost as a football player.

If he doesn't show enough improvement to at least get on the field some this year, I'd just cut him and move on.

D

Deleted member 6794

If he doesn't show enough improvement to at least get on the field some this year, I'd just cut him and move on.

It seems the Packers still have high hopes for Burks after waiting until the seventh round of the draft to add an inside linebacker to the roster.

If he isn't good enough to play a significant amount of snaps this season, considering the lack of talent at the position, it's probably time to move on from him though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every player they pick they expect they can "coach him up" . You draft for what you think they can be, not what they were. College and pro's are not the same and he played 1 year of linebacker right? Big surprise he didn't get it all down in 1 year. They did draft him for athleticism, he has a lot of that. maybe it never translates to the field. Wouldn't be the first time.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was drafted solely on his athleticism. He had a great combine, and the Packers thought they could "coach him up".

Based on his college tape?? He should not have been drafted at all. He should have been an UDFA.

When they tried to put him on the field he was bad in every way he was bad in college. He was so bad, they couldn't even get him on the field for experience during garbage time.

Don't know what else to tell ya. He has no instincts for the game of football. He takes bad angles, he can't diagnose, he's just completely lost as a football player.

https://twitter.com/SconnieSports/status/1030258189965647872?s=09

https://twitter.com/The_Green_Gold/status/1031913396411813888?s=09

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1029131076235616257?s=09

Select plays, obviously, but they don't show a guy who can't diagnose, just a guy who is raw.

Will he reach his potential? Maybe. Maybe not.

Is he a cuttable player? Obviously not.

Fwiw, #67 on the Steelers that he knocked backwards is probably going to start for them this year, and is 320 lbs. I'm not sure if we've seen Martinez knock an OL back like that.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Select plays, obviously, but they don't show a guy who can't diagnose, just a guy who is raw.

Fwiw, #67 on the Steelers that he knocked backwards is probably going to start for them this year, and is 320 lbs. I'm not sure if we've seen Martinez knock an OL back like that.

It's just some clown trying to call his shot so he can look smart.

Most developmental players in the NFL fail. If you predict them all to fail, you'll be right more often than not.

Reaction score
In the NFL football far more players spiral out of the league than those that even get a 2nd contract. We don’t have to be Nostradomus here to predict a player’s demise, you’d be far often more right than wrong on a % basis. But after one season? With a guy that played 1 year at LB in college? Seems very premature.
Similarly, I remember this sentiment about several other players early in their careers that would’ve been catastrophic in nature had we cut them this early. Not to mention the guys that start fast don’t often wear well either.
It’s truly a work in progress, I’m just glad our personnel department practices more prudence than some of us fans, or we’d have like 43 players left on our roster (Including the practice squad) :eek:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the NFL football far more players spiral out of the league than those that even get a 2nd contract. We don’t have to be Nostradomus here to predict a player’s demise, you’d be far often more right than wrong on a % basis. But after one season? With a guy that played 1 year at LB in college? Seems very premature.
Similarly, I remember this sentiment about several other players early in their careers that would’ve been catastrophic in nature had we cut them this early. Not to mention the guys that start fast don’t often wear well either.
It’s truly a work in progress, I’m just glad our personnel department practices more prudence than some of us fans, or we’d have like 43 players left on our roster (Including the practice squad) :eek:

Actually we'd probably have more like 106 players because of all the studs the stupid personnel department lets go.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like Ty Summers more than Burks... we'll see.

I hope he works out though b/c 1) we have a need at ILB, and 2) b/c a 3rd round pick is a pretty high pick to waste.

I've liked both of Gutes drafts so far. Burks is the one WTF outlier pick.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm watching film on Manny Wilkins, man the kid can throw! The delivery of majority of his footballs are spot on, especially short to medium passes. Looks like a naturally smooth thrower. For comparison, look at Will Grier throwing the football compared to Wilkins. Games I watched Washington, Michigan State and Oregon game.

He has the arm strength for deep passes but they're not accurate. Wilkins has to do a better job of reading defenses and can focus/rely too much on his first read making it easy for saftey to read his eyes. That's his downfall. He basically force feed Nkeal Harry. Has small frame thus dropping him to undrafted status. Even if he doesn't crack the 53 rosrer, having him on practice squad is going to help scout QBs like Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts