2019 Combine Thread

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoooo Andy Isabella is faaaast.

DK Metcalf is a freak of the highest order.

Kyler Murray, Haskins, and hopefully Lock go before 12. Metcalf will too now. That only helps us out.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without trying to sound too much like a Badger Homer, I look around the NFL and see a lot of former Badger O-Lineman who have excelled. I know people get excited about combine numbers, but I get more excited about what they can do on the field. I hope these 3 guys do get passed over and the Packers can steal at least one of them.

As far as under performing in 2018? May want to look up the results first. ;)

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol

1) Edwards sucks. If you want to draft a guy that's reminscent of Spriggs in play but way less athletic, be my guest.

2) Dieter should be an ok player yet.

3) I was never that impressed with Benzeschwal. He's meh.

Dieter is, imo, the best of the bunch. And there are a lot better OL in this draft than him.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Parris Campbell and Andy Isabella tied for fastest WR at 4.31. Very impressive.

Mecole Hardman and Terry McLaurin also had great times and that matches the tape.

I really like Hardman.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
1) Edwards sucks. If you want to draft a guy that's reminscent of Spriggs in play but way less athletic, be my guest.

2) Dieter should be an ok player yet.

3) I was never that impressed with Benzeschwal. He's meh.

Dieter is, imo, the best of the bunch. And there are a lot better OL in this draft than him.

LOL.....You sound like most who bashed the Cowboys for drafting Travis Frederick in the first round back in 2013 @ #31. Now he is arguably the best player that came out of that first round of that draft. Hopkins and Rhodes might be in that conversation.

I guess time will tell. :)

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without trying to sound too much like a Badger Homer, I look around the NFL and see a lot of former Badger O-Lineman who have excelled. I know people get excited about combine numbers, but I get more excited about what they can do on the field. I hope these 3 guys do get passed over and the Packers can steal at least one of them.

As far as under performing in 2018? May want to look up the results first. ;)

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol

Yeah. I get it PB. I am a UW alum and total badger fan like you, but IMO these guys simply aren't that good, especially compared to the expectations. They certainly are well-coached, technically sound, have good size, and opened some nice holes for Jonathan Taylor. But they were pretty bad in pass protection, and may not be athletic enough to be effective in the current pass-happy NFL.

I am fine with being wrong, BTW. Its certainly happened enough in the past. :)

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL.....You sound like most who bashed the Cowboys for drafting Travis Frederick in the first round back in 2013 @ #31. Now he is arguably the best player that came out of that first round of that draft. Hopkins and Rhodes might be in that conversation.

I guess time will tell. :)

Huh?

Frederick had way better tape than any of the UW guys this year.

People bashed that pick bc typically teams didn't take centers that early, it was a positional argument, not talent.

I'm not saying these things because of bias. It's just how good those players are, imo. Me saying Dieter is probably an average starter isn't bashing on a guy, good grief.

You badger homers get annoying.

PS: Edwards sucks hard.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah. I get it PB. I am a UW alum and total badger fan like you, but IMO these guys simply aren't that good, especially compared to the expectations. They certainly are well-coached, technically sound, have good size, and opened some nice holes for Jonathan Taylor. But they were pretty bad in pass protection, and may not be athletic enough to be effective in the current pass-happy NFL.

I am fine with being wrong, BTW. Its certainly happened enough in the past. :)

Most of the Offensive Lineman that come out of Wisconsin get that knock, "they don't excel at pass blocking". A lot of that stems from the system they are playing in, which is very run oriented, as well as the lack of having quality QB's behind them. Joe Rudolph is a decent OC, but have to wonder how much time he spends on pass protection.

While I agree that all 3 of them are going to need work on pass protection, I don't have much doubt that with proper coaching, they will do just fine. Also, Edwards was playing most of the season with a variety of injuries, so as long as he is healthy, I expect to see his game improve quite a bit.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure good theory, stick with that. Keep trusting your tape and ignore everything else. :tup:

Ah yes. I ignore everything else. If you look at everything I post, that's clearly obvious.

On tape Edwards is weak. He has sloppy footwork. Struggles in pass-blocking. His redeeming factor was supposed to be that he was an athletic TE convert. The testing has shown that to be false. He's not a great athlete. He is still weak. So that shows up on film and in testing...but I should say he's going to be good because he played at Wisconsin and they've had some good OL come out recently? That my friend, does not seem like a good plan.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ah yes. I ignore everything else. If you look at everything I post, that's clearly obvious.

On tape Edwards is weak. He has sloppy footwork. Struggles in pass-blocking. His redeeming factor was supposed to be that he was an athletic TE convert. The testing has shown that to be false. He's not a great athlete. He is still weak. So that shows up on film and in testing...but I should say he's going to be good because he played at Wisconsin and they've had some good OL come out recently? That my friend, does not seem like a good plan.

Don't patronize yourself, I don't look at much of what you post.

Yes, I totally forgot that you are a professional Scout and your opinion and only yours is the one I should agree with. My apologies.

Pull your head out of your *** for a moment and instead of calling people "Badger Homers" and pretending like your opinion is the only one that matters, read what actual Professional scouts are saying about players.

While you are entitled to your own opinion, I would appreciate it if you stop feeling the need to blast people, just because they disagree with your opinion.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Wisconsin is totally "OL U" but the majority of the great Badger OL in the league were highly regarded coming out of school.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't patronize yourself, I don't look at much of what you post.

Yes, I totally forgot that you are a professional Scout and your opinion and only yours is the one I should agree with. My apologies.

Pull your head out of your *** for a moment and instead of calling people "Badger Homers" and pretending like your opinion is the only one that matters, read what actual Professional scouts are saying about players.

While you are entitled to your own opinion, I would appreciate it if you stop feeling the need to blast people, just because they disagree with your opinion.

Chill dude.

I've said multiple times my knowledge of things is incredibly limited.

I said badger homers are annoying. And y'all are! I'm annoying too. We're all pretty annoying tbh (except Brandon of course). Don't take it so personal. It just gets old when anybody posts anything remotely critical of a Badger player, people come running up in arms. That's all.

I did take a moment to pull my head out of my ***, thanks for the recommendation. This is from Lance Zierline, who is probably best OL evaluator of any "major" draft pundit on David Edwards:

Quarterback-turned-tight-end-turned-right-tackle who has maintained his light feet but is missing functional strength and body control to hold his ground against NFL power. Edwards isn't the technician we've come to expect from the Wisconsin program and he'll need additional technique work to help make up for some of his physical deficiencies. He's still a pup as an offensive lineman and he should improve with more experience and weight room work, but it's tough to project him behind average backup to low-end starter at this point.

Wow! Sounds so much different than what I said.

I didn't blast you because you disagreed with me. I said you were a Homer, that homers are annoying, and that's it. All you've said in respect to these players are that they're from Wisconsin, and therefore good OL. If that's not being a Homer, then idk what is.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wisconsin is totally "OL U" but the majority of the great Badger OL in the league were highly regarded coming out of school.

Careful, that might make you sound like a Badger Homer. There have been some pretty successful Ex-Badger lineman that weren't that highly regarded and taken in the second round and beyond. Tauscher, Havenstein, Wagner, Groy, Marz, Panos, Urbik, Dellenbach, Rabach, Turk, Raymer.

Guessing I missed a few. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yes, your critique of Edwards and Lance Zierline are spot on identical, could barely tell the difference between the 2 of you.

Hey buddy, don't bash me because my opinion isn't the same as yours!!

I'll be kinder.

Edwards isn't a good player and will most likely never be anything more than a backup.

I said Dieter will most likely be an average starter, and Beasjsbfjejs will fall somewhere in between. I think that's a very fair analysis, and somewhat better than "But they all went to Wisconsin and Wisconsin has good OL!".

If you disagree with any of my analysis on their playing abilities, you are more than welcome to chime in. It would be welcomed, I know you've seen a lot more of them than I have.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Careful, that might make you sound like a Badger Homer. There have been some pretty successful Ex-Badger lineman that weren't that highly regarded and taken in the second round and beyond. Tauscher, Havenstein, Wagner, Groy, Marz, Panos, Urbik, Dellenbach, Rabach, Turk, Raymer.

Guessing I missed a few. :)

My point is that usually good UW prospects on the OL get lots of love coming out. So if this year's crop are not highly regarded, I don't think that we can say that it's just because Badger OL tend to get underrated. That's not true. Chances are, this particular group just isn't that great. I'm not claiming to be the expert on them. I haven't watched.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Hakeem Butler is a rare type of athlete with good film to match. I really like him.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some other guys who had good days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190302-185218.png
    Screenshot_20190302-185218.png
    163.7 KB · Views: 99

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some other guys who had good days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190302-185218.png
    Screenshot_20190302-185218.png
    163.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20190302-185312.png
    Screenshot_20190302-185312.png
    178.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_20190302-185328.png
    Screenshot_20190302-185328.png
    181.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20190302-185344.png
    Screenshot_20190302-185344.png
    164.1 KB · Views: 96

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you not familiar, 3 sigma athletes is a site that statistically determines where a player lies athletically compared to other players in the NFL.

https://3sigmaathlete.com/sparq-rankings-2019/tight-end/

For example there, it says that Noah Fant is a better athlete than 98.4% of NFL TE's, or players that have tested there. Hockenson is better than 88% of NFL TE's.

This WR class is historically athletic. Campbell, Boykin both were better than 99% of NFL WR's.

Pretty cool stuff. Check it out.

Reaction score
This WR class is historically athletic. Campbell, Boykin both were better than 99% of NFL WR's.
This goes hand in hand with several GMs who have recently been interviewed on NFL radio. Mayock being just one of those who mentioned how this yeas WR class runs historically deep and he said it is likely you can find a solid WR throughout all 7 rounds. Last year Chark and Scantling ran a sub 4.4 40 time, this year there are 7 Wideouts that are under 4.4 time and 18 ran a sub 4.5 40 time.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...-five-wrs-in-top-20-noah-fant-makes-his-case/

As much as we don’t need another 3 WRs again. It wouldn’t hurt my feelings to get our slot guy before the close of day 2 . Then grab another WR round 5-7 range. After all, we did part ways with Montgomery and sounds like Cobb may be out also. While the FA WR pool is lacking, the Draft WR cup runneth over.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If you disagree with any of my analysis on their playing abilities, you are more than welcome to chime in. It would be welcomed, I know you've seen a lot more of them than I have.
What analysis? "That one sucks, the other is ok and the other is meh"? That really isn't much in the way of an analysis is it? I can read that on the wall in a toilet stall.

Honestly, I wasn't looking for, asking for or really care what your analysis/opinion of the 3 Badger lineman are at this point. I was merely responding to a poster who said their combine numbers weren't very impressive. You decided to jump in, tell everyone how annoying Badger Homers are and that Edwards sucks. When someone leads off their opinion in that sort of way, I've already stopped listening.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Some takeaways from Saturday.

1. This WR class is better than I realized. The Packers should look to draft a complimentary player rather than sign one, especially given how much money the veteran slot receivers are reportedly looking for.

2. Noah Fant is rightfully receiving the headlines as an elite athlete at TE, but Hockenson isn't far off in that regard.

3. The TE class as a whole is a little shallower than projected, with two players who were viewed as developmental starters proving to be below the minimum threshold of athleticism (Isaac Nauta and Kaden Smith).

4. Irv Smith Jr. is an H Back at the next level.

5. Isabella and Hardman would introduce some dangerous YAC speed in the offense if it doesn't work out to nab Campbell or Samuel earlier on.

Catching up a bit from Friday.

6. Travis Homer has a pretty nice athletic profile to add to his well rounded ability as a rusher, receiver, pass protector, and ST coverage player.

7. While it's important not to overrate athletic testing at RB, where the numbers haven't proven to be as predictive, negative outliers can still be ruled out. Elijah Holyfield ain't it.

8. Kaleb McGary fits the athletic profile that has traditionally worked for the Packers and will merit a viewing from yours truly.

Members online

Latest posts