2018 Receptions totals

Eggers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect Graham to be very good for us. The surprise will be Jones on 2nd/3rd downs. Cobb will have a down year. Allison will make team but be average at best. Hoping a rookie (Moore) steps up 2nd half of the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rookie wide receivers rarely transition well to the NFL in their first year. The success of AJ Green, Julio Jones, and Keenan Allen has sort of thrown that off a bit. I see no reason why a great year from Adams, a good year from Cobb, and a decent year from Allison wouldn't be sufficient from the wide receivers considering that Graham is basically a slot receiver also.

The Packers don't need any of their rookie receivers to put up numbers comparable to those you mentioned but present Rodgers with a target on the perimeter opponents have to respect. Otherwise they will be able to shift coverage towards Adams as well as crowd the slot.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers don't need any of their rookie receivers to put up numbers comparable to those you mentioned but present Rodgers with a target on the perimeter opponents have to respect. Otherwise they will be able to shift coverage towards Adams as well as crowd the slot.

I was replying to a comment in which you said one of the rookies would need to put up decent numbers. I was pointing out that rookies rarely have that kind of impact in the NFL. After reading your reply I am now officially confused. Are you saying a rookie will put up decent numbers or that they don't need to?

D

Deleted member 6794

I was replying to a comment in which you said one of the rookies would need to put up decent numbers. I was pointing out that rookies rarely have that kind of impact in the NFL. After reading your reply I am now officially confused. Are you saying a rookie will put up decent numbers or that they don't need to?

In my opinion one of the rookies will have to put up decent numbers for the passing game to be successful. I'm not talking about getting over or close to 1,000 receiving yards though like Green, Jones and Allen did during their first season in the league.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's how I see it. Either RQ or VS, with all that speed, can be used to stretch the field and/or take 1 CB out of the play. A bomb launched occasionally will keep them honest and free cobb, Adams, and or Graham up a bit.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That's how I see it. Either RQ or VS, with all that speed, can be used to stretch the field and/or take 1 CB out of the play. A bomb launched occasionally will keep them honest and free cobb, Adams, and or Graham up a bit.

I can see that vision materializing long term, but I doubt they’ll see the field much as rookies unless it’s due to injury. As the 4th guy last year, Allison only saw 32% of the snaps and that was largely because there were four missed games (plus portions of a few more) among the three starters due to injury. And if Moore or Davis is the 4th guy, which I find more likely than MVS or EQ, then those guys will never see the field.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see that vision materializing long term, but I doubt they’ll see the field much as rookies unless it’s due to injury. As the 4th guy last year, Allison only saw 32% of the snaps and that was largely because there were four missed games (plus portions of a few more) among the three starters due to injury. And if Moore or Davis is the 4th guy, which I find more likely than MVS or EQ, then those guys will never see the field.
Maybe. I was going to retort that MVS and EQ are different players than Allison, but Davis is a speed guy. I'm not sure he garners the same respect as MVS or EQ, but your point is valid.

D

Deleted member 6794

Allison won't play as many snaps as Nelson did last season though. Therefore either one of the rookies or Kumerow will receive a significant amount of snaps this season.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Allison won't play as many snaps as Nelson did last season though. Therefore either one of the rookies or Kumerow will receive a significant amount of snaps this season.

That is a solid point.

However, it also occurs to me that we could see a lot more 12 personnel since Graham will essentially be functioning as a WR.

D

Deleted member 6794

ä
However, it also occurs to me that we could see a lot more 12 personnel since Graham will essentially be functioning as a WR.

I'm not sure about that as it would most likely mean Cobb either being held off the field or moved to the perimeter where he doesn't excel.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that as it would most likely mean Cobb either being held off the field or moved to the perimeter where he doesn't excel.

It would mean that in some cases, but I think you could use Graham on the perimeter enough that Cobb would still get his normal amount of snaps and stay in the slot.

D

Deleted member 6794

It would mean that in some cases, but I think you could use Graham on the perimeter enough that Cobb would still get his normal amount of snaps and stay in the slot.

I'm absolutely fine with using Graham as a slot receiver but don't think it would be smart lining him up outside.

Reaction score
by Aaron’s own actions I believe he is challenging one of the rookies to step up. The way I see it is we are in the wake of losing a formidable WR in Jordy and a heck of a teammate overall. This isn’t taken lightly by Aaron he demands that respect and he deserves it.
I acknowledge Aaron that so far only Kumerow has shown glimpses of the heart of what was lost with in Jordy. So far we have a D3 WR outplaying a 4th round pick and that’s disheartening. No offense to Kumerow he plays with some spunk.
Although we saw glimmers last Thursday of MVS and EQ battling it out for a legitimate competition to Jeronimo.
IMO J’mon had better find second gear soon or he’s going to reduce the presumed pecking order real fast. Draft placing means nothing come regular season if you can’t even excel against the #2s and #4s.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I haven't watched enough Seahawks games closely to correctly answer that question.

From what I gleaned from this, the Saints had him out wide about 200 snaps in 2014 and the Seahawks gave him about 100 snaps there in 2017.

At this point, it would need to be primarily a red zone look. And he certainly plays in the slot a lot more than out wide.

But I can still envision he and Lewis seeing the field together about 40% of the time. Lewis’ blocking would make it a really effective formation for RPO’s.

Last edited:

Alvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm new (and I'm not a Packers fan), but I wanted to ask about Marquez Valdes-Scantling. How is he looking in practice? I write about the Titans, and obviously, he had a great game against them. I just wanted to know how he was looking, because when I tried to search, it was all about Rodgers blasting rookie receivers. I made a long scouting report article on him prior to the draft, which compared him to Robby Anderson, but I would like to just know how Valdes-Scantling is doing in terms of playing time this year, especially concerning dynasty fantasy. Appreciate the help. Thank you.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm new (and I'm not a Packers fan), but I wanted to ask about Marquez Valdes-Scantling. How is he looking in practice? I write about the Titans, and obviously, he had a great game against them. I just wanted to know how he was looking, because when I tried to search, it was all about Rodgers blasting rookie receivers. I made a long scouting report article on him prior to the draft, which compared him to Robby Anderson, but I would like to just know how Valdes-Scantling is doing in terms of playing time this year, especially concerning dynasty fantasy. Appreciate the help. Thank you.

He has been really uneven, as you would expect from a raw, talented rookie.

He has made the tough plays look easy and some easy plays look hard (concentration drops). But his combination of speed, acceleration, and length is better than anything the other receivers on the roster can offer.

Alvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has been really uneven, as you would expect from a raw, talented rookie.

He has made the tough plays look easy and some easy plays look hard (concentration drops). But his combination of speed, acceleration, and length is better than anything the other receivers on the roster can offer.

Thank You.

Do you think there is a chance he will make an impact this year? I understand he won't supplant Cobb/Adams anytime soon, and Graham figures heavily on a team that ran RPO at a high rate last year. Is there a chance he can be the slot speed/size guy? My comparison was Anderson, and he pretty much broke out by being the slot guy that took the top off the defense, but he also had absolutely no competition around him, therefore got plenty of opportunities.

Last year, apparently the Packers ran third most RPO, and by function that should freeze defenders, and someone like Valdes-Scantling seems like the perfect fit. I've been thinking of stashing him in a competitive dynasty league because he's pretty unknown (although the 100 yard game and being rated on Pre-Season team of the week for PFF didn't help) but could payoff big time if given a chance.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Thank You.

Do you think there is a chance he will make an impact this year? I understand he won't supplant Cobb/Adams anytime soon, and Graham figures heavily on a team that ran RPO at a high rate last year. Is there a chance he can be the slot speed/size guy? My comparison was Anderson, and he pretty much broke out by being the slot guy that took the top off the defense, but he also had absolutely no competition around him, therefore got plenty of opportunities.

Last year, apparently the Packers ran third most RPO, and by function that should freeze defenders, and someone like Valdes-Scantling seems like the perfect fit. I've been thinking of stashing him in a competitive dynasty league because he's pretty unknown (although the 100 yard game and being rated on Pre-Season team of the week for PFF didn't help) but could payoff big time if given a chance.

I highly doubt that he makes a real impact this year unless there is a rash of injuries. But Cobb is an impending FA and Allison doesn’t really merit long term investment. So the WR snaps are going to be wide open next year.

Alvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt that he makes a real impact this year unless there is a rash of injuries. But Cobb is an impending FA and Allison doesn’t really merit long term investment. So the WR snaps are going to be wide open next year.

I see, I see. That makes sense. Yeah I love St. Brown and Valdes-Scantling, although I really expected St. Brown to go much higher. I was at the combine and thought for sure he wouldn't drop past the 2nd round.

I guess I'll stash him this year, because a receiver with Rodgers is basically gold, and fits so perfectly if he can clean up some parts of his game.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I see, I see. That makes sense. Yeah I love St. Brown and Valdes-Scantling, although I really expected St. Brown to go much higher. I was at the combine and thought for sure he wouldn't drop past the 2nd round.

I guess I'll stash him this year, because a receiver with Rodgers is basically gold, and fits so perfectly if he can clean up some parts of his game.

EQ fell because teams were concerned about his coachability and the fact that his dad is a little bit of a Lavar Ball lite.

Alvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EQ fell because teams were concerned about his coachability and the fact that his dad is a little bit of a Lavar Ball lite.

Interesting, I did not know that. I heard the Ball comparison before, but I thought it was more because he had two other talented brothers, and they were all level-headed.

What is the word with his coachability? I almost wrote one report on him, but I figured he was too high for the Titans to consider receiver, and looked for late round guys. At least in my initial research, that offense didn't fit him at all, seemed to focus on running and relying on a bad QB.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Interesting, I did not know that. I heard the Ball comparison before, but I thought it was more because he had two other talented brothers, and they were all level-headed.

What is the word with his coachability? I almost wrote one report on him, but I figured he was too high for the Titans to consider receiver, and looked for late round guys. At least in my initial research, that offense didn't fit him at all, seemed to focus on running and relying on a bad QB.

Nothing major has happened. I read something about his disagreeing with the passing game coordinator in the media on his progress, but that’s pretty tame... though annoying.