2018 Draft Review

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know what it means and I don't believe anybody practices it except a team under complete rebuild mode.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Didn't we agree that it's BPA by tier, not individual? Or was that another forum?

That would be BPABTNI. Best Player By Tier Not Individual.

The reality is, and this has been verified true by vote by 5 posters at PackerBackerForums and is: BPAWTTPNRBVWWI"PP"ISAE. Which of course is Best Player Available Within a Talent Tier At a Position of Need Representing the Best Value Who is "Packer People" and Is Not an Eskimo. I have verified this, the Packers have never drafted an Eskimo.

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't we agree that it's BPA by tier, not individual? Or was that another forum?

Where is this magical place where people agree?

It's not a matter of agreeing or not. In the draft teams rate players in tiers. NOT a list of 1-350

Its not a debatable point.

I think it's safe to say Jackson was in the highest available tier. Whether anyone else was in that tier is debatable

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not a matter of agreeing or not. In the draft teams rate players in tiers. NOT a list of 1-350

Its not a debatable point.

I think it's safe to say Jackson was in the highest available tier. Whether anyone else was in that tier is debatable

Yeah, I was just making a joke.

Pretty much nobody drafts BPA.

It’s all about tiers, and needs. They don’t rank them 1-150 like some do. They have tiers, and needs.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We have 2 very good TEs. A stud WR, 2 good WRs and 2 rookies with potential. We have a solid OL that could use some depth. We have 2 impressive rookie RBs and a 3rd, Montgommery, who did well and is still learning RB position. We now have a talented backup QB.

All our rookie WRs may not pan out. Our RBs continue to get injured. But I think our offense wont have many holes except OL depth, which is more mid round picks.

We can't judge our offense by how many high picks we spend there.

We should be able to improve our team by drafting whoever Is BPA at our picks. WR, TE, OLB, DE, RB
We may not even have OL depth problems as we would likely keep 8 and possibly 9 on the 53 man roster. With Bell, Pankey, Amechia, Spriggs, Patrick and Murphy on the roster, it may not be an issue at all. Bulaga’s health is the biggest cause for concern. Imo, Spriggs should be ready to be a decent NFL starting RT by September.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We may not even have OL depth problems as we would likely keep 8 and possibly 9 on the 53 man roster. With Bell, Pankey, Amechia, Spriggs, Patrick and Murphy on the roster, it may not be an issue at all. Bulaga’s health is the biggest cause for concern. Imo, Spriggs should be ready to be a decent NFL starting RT by September.
You maybe right. Our starting 5 should be good. We played well last season despite injuries and moving the backups around. Those who are saying Spriggs isnt ready didnt watch him play much last year. He did good, and he is still growing into it. Expect him to be above average this year and will keep improving.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Spriggs being a decent starting RT by September coming off of injury is a pretty big leap when he wasn't a decent backup RT before he got hurt.

I still have hope for him but let's not act like he's a guy we would be penciling into the lineup if he never got hurt

H

HardRightEdge

It's not "tiers", it's levels and pillars:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

By the way, once the concept of "tier" is introduced, BPA makes no sense.

Additional "by the way": if the draft board (or one version of it) is not organized by player position, ordered by grade or tier, something is critically wrong.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Pankey? Amechia? Spriggs? Yeah, we're all set, LOL!!
Spriggs played well at the end of the season imo. Amechia should be well advanced of Cole Madison and possibly could earn a roster spot. I’m looking forward to see how far the 2nd and 3rd year guys have advanced.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs played well at the end of the season imo. Amechia should be well advanced of Cole Madison and possibly could earn a roster spot. I’m looking forward to see how far the 2nd and 3rd year guys have advanced.

Which, as of now is a hope and a prayer. None of them- especially the first two- have proven themselves to be competent NFL players, much less deserving of confidence in the role of protecting Rodgers.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs being a decent starting RT by September coming off of injury is a pretty big leap when he wasn't a decent backup RT before he got hurt.

I still have hope for him but let's not act like he's a guy we would be penciling into the lineup if he never got hurt

Spriggs has proven he can't play... he was such a high pick though, they'll keep giving him chances, but I think it's pretty obvious he's a bust.

Gute needs to admit past mistakes... dumping Randall was an excellent start, but there are a handful of recent picks that need to be improved upon...

Ryan, Fackrell, Biegel, and Spriggs all need to be cut.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs has proven he can't play... he was such a high pick though, they'll keep giving him chances, but I think it's pretty obvious he's a bust.

Gute needs to admit past mistakes... dumping Randall was an excellent start, but there are a handful of recent picks that need to be improved upon...

Too early to tell on Biegel yet. Ryan is a serviceable back-up, and Spriggs actually showed signs of improvement at the end of last season. I wouldn't give up on any of them just yet, especially Biegel.

As for Fackrell, he's shown next-to-nothing to this point, so unless he makes a huge leap in pre-season (seems unlikely), I'd be fine in letting him go. The problem is that there's not a lot of depth at his position, so someone is going to have to step up.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too early to tell on Biegel yet. Ryan is a serviceable back-up, and Spriggs actually showed signs of improvement at the end of last season. I wouldn't give up on any of them just yet, especially Biegel.

As for Fackrell, he's shown next-to-nothing to this point, so unless he makes a huge leap in pre-season (seems unlikely), I'd be fine in letting him go. The problem is that there's not a lot of depth at his position, so someone is going to have to step up.
even so, it's still better to just cut them all. Especially guys that really haven't had a chance to succeed because of injury. Rookies who have surgery and miss most of the year, never too early to give up on them LOL. If you're not picking super stars in round 4 with regular consistency, time to cut them and move on.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
even so, it's still better to just cut them all. Especially guys that really haven't had a chance to succeed because of injury. Rookies who have surgery and miss most of the year, never too early to give up on them LOL. If you're not picking super stars in round 4 with regular consistency, time to cut them and move on.

That's how I like my sarcasm - Thick, rich and meaty...…..:laugh:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Damn right! Clean house! Get rid of everybody.
Then maybe they'll take action on that damn grounds crew; they've been getting away with murder for years.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Biegel, who was a rookie and hurt for most of last year, should be cut?

Lolololololol

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biegel, who was a rookie and hurt for most of last year, should be cut?

Lolololololol

He was an average to below average college player... terrible pick to begin with.

Lawson was clearly the choice there... not coincidentally, Lawson went on to dominate the Packers in their matchup last year.

While Beigel contributed nothing.

Makes you wonder what the Packer scouts are looking at.

D

Deleted member 6794

He was an average to below average college player... terrible pick to begin with.

Lawson was clearly the choice there... not coincidentally, Lawson went on to dominate the Packers in their matchup last year.

It's true that selecting Lawson would have been a significantly better choice in the fourth round of last year's draft. That doesn't mean the Packers releasing Biegel after one injury filled season would be a smart move though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And if Lawson missed all of the off-season, training camp and most of the season on some form of injured and not playing list with a broken hand or foot and then surgery, he wouldn't have contributed anything last year either.
But that's probably unimportant

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if Lawson missed all of the off-season, training camp and most of the season on some form of injured and not playing list with a broken hand or foot and then surgery, he wouldn't have contributed anything last year either.
But that's probably unimportant

One of the reasons not to select Beigel was his injury history... some teams took him off their board b/c of the foot.

So using his injury as an excuse doesn't fly at all... if anything it was all the more reason not to draft him

Nevermind the fact that Beigel wasn't a good college player.

Just looking at their college tape it was obvious to anyone with eyes that Lawson had tons more upside.

Lawson played like a stud... I for one was not a happy Packer fan when they passed on Lawson with that pick.

Picking players like Beigel over Lawson is one of the reasons our defense sucks year after year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the reasons not to select Beigel was his injury history... some teams took him off their board b/c of the foot.

So using his injury as an excuse doesn't fly at all... if anything it was all the more reason not to draft him

Nevermind the fact that Beigel wasn't a good college player.

Just looking at their college tape it was obvious to anyone with eyes that Lawson had tons more upside.

Lawson played like a stud... I for one was not a happy Packer fan when they passed on Lawson with that pick.

Picking players like Beigel over Lawson is one of the reasons our defense sucks year after year.
:tup:

Members online

Latest posts