2018 Draft Review

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if Lawson missed all of the off-season, training camp and most of the season on some form of injured and not playing list with a broken hand or foot and then surgery, he wouldn't have contributed anything last year either.
But that's probably unimportant

You seem to understand pretty much nothing about the game of football ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You seem to understand pretty much nothing about the game of football ;)
:tup: Tell me something I don't know

But let's pretend that Lawson doesn't have an injury history himself or that we wouldn't yet have taken another 4-3 DE and switched positions. You better not be one of those guys that said the packers miscast Perry for moving him to OLB, but you probably are. I personally don't have any issue with it and would have been fine with the Lawson pick too. But it's pretty pointless to compare a player who you got to see play against Kyle Murphy at Left tackle and a guy who was not even practicing with the team. Jamal Reynolds would have dominated Murphy too,

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the reasons not to select Beigel was his injury history... some teams took him off their board b/c of the foot.

So using his injury as an excuse doesn't fly at all... if anything it was all the more reason not to draft him

Nevermind the fact that Beigel wasn't a good college player.

Just looking at their college tape it was obvious to anyone with eyes that Lawson had tons more upside.

Lawson played like a stud... I for one was not a happy Packer fan when they passed on Lawson with that pick.

Picking players like Beigel over Lawson is one of the reasons our defense sucks year after year.

So your logic is this:

Lawson had a better year than Biegel last year, so we need to cut Biegel.

Is that right?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One of the reasons not to select Beigel was his injury history... some teams took him off their board b/c of the foot.

So using his injury as an excuse doesn't fly at all... if anything it was all the more reason not to draft him

Nevermind the fact that Beigel wasn't a good college player.

Just looking at their college tape it was obvious to anyone with eyes that Lawson had tons more upside.

Lawson played like a stud... I for one was not a happy Packer fan when they passed on Lawson with that pick.

Picking players like Beigel over Lawson is one of the reasons our defense sucks year after year.

Lol. Ok, so the FO should have passed on Biegel due to injury history but should have taken Lawson, who missed something like 18 starts in college?

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as I know, Lawson was healthy at the time of the draft... Beigel wasn't, but that isn't why I wanted Lawson over Beigel.

I wanted Lawson b/c he has a chance to be a good player - Beigel doesn't.

It's that simple.

D

Deleted member 6794

As far as I know, Lawson was healthy at the time of the draft... Beigel wasn't, but that isn't why I wanted Lawson over Beigel.

It's that simple.

Once again, I agree that Lawson would have been a better choice at that point but it's ridiculous to suggest Biegel can't develop into a decent player based on a single injury riddled season.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, I agree that Lawson would have been a better choice at that point but it's ridiculous to suggest Biegel can't develop into a decent player based on a single injury riddled season.

I'm not basing my lack of faith in him on that, I'm basing it on his college tape.

He's very pedestrian... I'm looking for upside, and I just don't see any with him.

I think his ceiling is very low.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not basing my lack of faith in him on that, I'm basing it on his college tape.

He's very pedestrian... I'm looking for upside, and I just don't see any with him.

I'm not convinced Biegel will develop into a decent contributor at the pro level either but he definitely put up some good tape in college as otherwise he wouldn't have been considered an early day three prospect entering the draft.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's that simple.
Well, allow my ******* to fill you in on what you don't know. Biegel missed 2 games, TWO, attributed to the foot injury in early October. Came back and played in 8 more games after the injury and was pretty effective in them including the cotton bowl, then also played in the Senior bowl and was a participant in the post season combine. My guess would be he was considered "healthy" at the time of the draft. You think Biegel missing 2 games is an injury history, yet the guy missing almost 2 out of 3 to injury doesn't? LOL

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

OK so if i think Burks was a a reach and a bad pick should I be calling for him to be cut tommorow? Or should I give him a chance to develop?

The only difference is a single injury filled season.

(Then again you also suggested they strait up cut Ryan. Not we should find an upgrade over Ryan in the starting lineup. Cut. So Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

It's that simple.

In other words, “I’m changing my story now because I didn’t really know what I was talking about.”

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are delusional, lol...

If anyone criticizes anything the Packers front office does you're like a pack of rabid dogs.

There's a reason our defense is amongst the worst in the league year after year ya know ;)

I criticized the Fackrell pick for the same reasons I didn't like the Beigel pick... and now it looks like he's destined for bartending duties this fall.

I expect the same thing will be the case with Beigel next year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If anyone criticizes anything the Packers front office does you're like a pack of rabid dogs.

There's a reason our defense is amongst the worst in the league year after year ya know ;)

I criticized the Fackrell pick for the same reasons I didn't like the Beigel pick... and now it looks like he's destined for bartending duties this fall.

There were a bunch of people GB could have picked at that position and they all would have had upside and some drawbacks that made them available in the 4th round. Could probably find a reason to be skeptical or have optimism for any of them. Nobody is rabidly defending the front office so much as growing tired of the ill formed and short sighted reasons given by some as to why it was such a horrible pick.

a reason not to like Biegel is smaller in size, and probably isn't going to grow much into a more robust NFL frame. but what he lacks in size, he has a good motor and good instincts and that was noticed by a lot of people not just Badger homers. That doesn't translate into a 4th round stud that will be inking a 15 million dollar a year contract in a couple years, but he quite possibly could be a nice rotational guy and situational rusher. he doesn't have the body to hold up as an every down OLB and probably isn't going to get one either. But then Lawson has already missed half the games he was eligible to play in heading into the NFL and had his own concerns. Not to mention a position switch, and like I said earlier, you better not be one of those guys that take issue with moving Perry to OLB and , yet think we should cut Biegel because it was a no brainer to take Lawson. But you probably are.

the only thing delusional in this thread is saying we should cut a player that literally has had next to zero opportunity to perform because of a foot fracture sustained in May and subsequent surgery.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's that simple.

Biegel, IMHO, still has a chance to be a good player. Whether he will or not remains to be seen.

Aaron Rodgers did not have a productive first season in the NFL, couldn't even crack the field. Good thing Green Bay didn't cut him, no?

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They won't cut him b/c of the investment they have in him - same as with Fackrell last year.

But there's a decent chance they cut bait with Fackrell this year; we'll see next year for Beigel.

I view both of them as no-hopers.

Burks on the hand, despite having some terrible, and I mean God-awful tape, at least he's an athlete - and that gives him a chance; but he was over-drafted too.

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems you have completely unrealistic expectations for a player selected in the fourth round of the draft.

You might have a point criticizing the front office if Biegel would have been selected earlier but there's no reason for it after spending a day three pick on a possible rotational edge rusher.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

No one cares that you don’t like Biegel or that you wanted Lawson. I hate to pop your arrogant bubble, but that describes a lot of Packer fans— it’s not like you’re the only one.

You’re being criticized for claiming you know how things will turn out with Biegel ahead of time and for talking like an expert when you didn’t even do your homework.

But go ahead; play the martyr.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is all pointless! Every draft should be evaluated on how many of the best players we chose three years after the draft happened. NO CONTEXT!!! Just, "did you get all the Pro-Bowlers?" If the answer is no, you failed. Get a new GM. Only possible excuse might be if that draft had zero Pro-Bowlers three years in.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one cares that you don’t like Biegel or that you wanted Lawson. I hate to pop your arrogant bubble, but that describes a lot of Packer fans— it’s not like you’re the only one.

You’re being criticized for claiming you know how things will turn out with Biegel ahead of time and for talking like an expert when you didn’t even do your homework.

But go ahead; play the martyr.

You're brilliant and righteous... silk purses and sows ears and such ;)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You draft based on potential. Hopefully with development you find a few guys that become major stars and take the team to great heights. Others become important role players hopefully. The time it takes to develop is unforeseen. Lots of variables in that mix. People tend to get caught up in draft status even years later. It doesn’t matter one iota if your 6th round pick becomes a superstar like Brady or your 1st rounder like Rodgers becomes a superstar. More big time star players surrounded by good complementary role players and reliable depth is what makes teams great. Yes, a 5th rounder like Biamila can become a sack artist off the edge. Just like good CB’s like Shields and Tramon Williams can come in as UDFA’s. You either trust scouts and GM or you don’t. You either trust the coaches to develop or you don’t. I expect to see a much better product now that Capers is gone. That’s my viewpoint until proven otherwise.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You draft based on potential. Hopefully with development you find a few guys that become major stars and take the team to great heights. Others become important role players hopefully. The time it takes to develop is unforeseen. Lots of variables in that mix. People tend to get caught up in draft status even years later. It doesn’t matter one iota if your 6th round pick becomes a superstar like Brady or your 1st rounder like Rodgers becomes a superstar. More big time star players surrounded by good complementary role players and reliable depth is what makes teams great. Yes, a 5th rounder like Biamila can become a sack artist off the edge. Just like good CB’s like Shields and Tramon Williams can come in as UDFA’s. You either trust scouts and GM or you don’t. You either trust the coaches to develop or you don’t. I expect to see a much better product now that Capers is gone. That’s my viewpoint until proven otherwise.

The only thing that draft status is important for is determining their salary. On the Monday after the draft they are all rookies in my book. I may have higher expectations for the ones picked earlier but a year or two down the road I couldn't care less where they were drafted. If the first round CB is out of the NFL but the 6th round CB is a all pro I feel no different than if the first rounder was the all pro and the 6th rounder is out of the league.

D

Deleted member 6794

I expect to see a much better product now that Capers is gone.

While that might be the expectation heading into the 2018 season I don't get too excited about Pettine's scheme before being proven otherwise.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect to see a much better product now that Capers is gone.

More accurate to say, "I expect to see a much better product now that the defense has better players". Unless we're arguing that the practice squad secondary the Packers have fielded the past two seasons would somehow be good under Pettine. Which would be an amazing argument and, if true, would lead me to believe that Pettine would be the best coach in the NFL since he would, theoretically, turn Ladarius Gunter into a guy that can cover Julio Jones.

D

Deleted member 6794

More accurate to say, "I expect to see a much better product now that the defense has better players".

It's probable that both Alexander and Jackson in combination with Tramon present an upgrade over the cornerbacks that have started for the Packers over the past few season I was expecting that to be true with Randall and Rollins three years ago as well.

Once again it might be smart to take a waiting approach with the secondary before declaring it to be fixed. In addition the pass rush from the edge seems to be a question mark entering the season.

Members online

Latest posts