2018 draft pick.

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need to go best player available. But if I had it my way, as lame as it sounds, I think we need to go defense in the first round AGAIN. I believe we are in a 're-branding' phase of this team. The defense obviously needs more work than the offense. I am sure that Capers is largely responsible for our defensive sufferings but it could be a talent issue somewhat as well. Build the defense. It's clear that Rodgers is good enough to run this offense largely by himself for now. In a couple years if we have a decent defense, surround him with weapons. Than we have a championship calibre team for sure.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mid round pick. I'd like to see us do what we did in 2005. Steal the best QB in the draft. Get the QB of the future so that we can be prepared for Aaron's retirement or the trade where he'll get sent to the Jets for a 3rd probably in 2020. For my money there are actually two this year. 1.) Mason Rudolph out of Oklahoma State, who I think fits our team very well. 2.) Josh Allen of Wyoming who reminds me of a young John Elway (I was a HUGE Elway fan growing up, and why wouldn't I be, do you remember what we had at QB in the 80's?)

In later rounds this possibly gives us a shot at Fumigali out of UW, who I think drops to us in Round 2 due to him being a TE missing 1 finger. (GMs hate any kind of real or perceived weakness)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mid round pick. I'd like to see us do what we did in 2005. Steal the best QB in the draft. Get the QB of the future so that we can be prepared for Aaron's retirement or the trade where he'll get sent to the Jets for a 3rd probably in 2020. For my money there are actually two this year. 1.) Mason Rudolph out of Oklahoma State, who I think fits our team very well. 2.) Josh Allen of Wyoming who reminds me of a young John Elway (I was a HUGE Elway fan growing up, and why wouldn't I be, do you remember what we had at QB in the 80's?)

In later rounds this possibly gives us a shot at Fumigali out of UW, who I think drops to us in Round 2 due to him being a TE missing 1 finger. (GMs hate any kind of real or perceived weakness)

Why would we draft a successor in the first round who won't even be under his rookie contract anymore when Rodgers retires?

It has been a long time since we have had a pick in the top half of the 1st round and we have some glaring needs on this team. It would be a shame to burn the #14 overall pick on a guy to hold a clipboard for 5 years and who may not even be here after that.

I can see this being logical in 2-3 years. But it's too early right now. We need to be focusing on putting a loaded roster around Aaron at this point in time, not planning for his successor.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Why even throw a draft pick at a QB? As Adambr2 points out, why draft a guy that won't ever get the starting job, unless something very unseen happens to AR? Although Hundley was viewed as a 5th round bargain, he wasn't even ready after being in the system 3 years. The Packers are in need of a backup QB that can play immediately if needed, for me that comes in the form of a veteran.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problems trying to develop a back up. Hundley is close, yet so far away. Not the smartest or best decision maker, a little slower with decisions, but that's to be expected. Has some bad INT's, without the great plays to even them out. If people had been watching other teams the last few weeks of the season, they'd ahve seen a lot of really bad QB play. From guys teams have invested a lot more in. Anybody catch Cam's last game? Dak's? anyway, for whatever reason it always seemed to be against Hundley. he's not perfect, he's a back up, so he's going make mistakes like any back up. We didn't ahve a defense that could come close to covering it up and when he was accurate, as someone else pointed out, it was 50/50 if the receiver was going to catch that perfectly thrown ball. Against the vikings we would have at least 16 more plays on offense if guys like Kendricks, Jordy or Allison would have caught a really well thrown ball. Instead the day turned out pretty poorly for numbers. Seemed to be the norm. I didn't see the Lions game, but that was hardly a preseason game in terms of personell on the field.

anyway, I look at the list of upcoming FA QB's and there isn't really any I'd think are going to come here to be the back up that would give me any sort of confidence they'd be able to lead this offense either. I'd love to have a guy that has been there, done that, and can still do it. I just don't really see him being available. Unless we want to invest 5 million or more into a back up QB and that's assuming those guys are ok with being a back up. Some team is going to give them real starter money and give them a chance to start most likely.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AR has some time left, believe it or not. A broken collarbone is not the end of the career.
I would love to get a WR in the early rounds, for example St.Brown: Nice skillset and his frame is Julio-style. Has the biggest upside in this draft imo.
But I think passrush should be a bigger concern and there, Clemson has some good talent coming to the draft. We have a good position for the first round. I hope we can use it wisely, but with the changes at GM and in the coaching staff, it is tough to guess, what we will be picking

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just looking at Hundley's body of work this year scares me to repeat and rinse with him or any other draft pick being our #2 QB. Now if the Packers can break down the film and see his failures weren't all his fault and the ones that were are correctable, get Hundley to work his tail off during the offseason, he may just be our best option at #2 in 2018. Hell, if he doesn't see the field in 2018, he may end up being a cheap 2nd contract career backup, because I don't see any team right now saying "oh yeah, he is our guy at #1".

That being said, if Hundley isn't THE guy at #2, I would much rather spend a little extra money for a backup FA QB with experience, then putting the final 10 or so games in the hands of a rookie or a guy with little experience, if AR goes down again.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm guessing there is going to be at least one FA QB coming out of Minnesota. Whichever one (or 2) it may be, will probably be viewed as a starter somewhere and paid way more than backup money.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just looking at Hundley's body of work this year scares me to repeat and rinse with him or any other draft pick being our #2 QB. Now if the Packers can break down the film and see his failures weren't all his fault and the ones that were are correctable, get Hundley to work his tail off during the offseason, he may just be our best option at #2 in 2018. Hell, if he doesn't see the field in 2018, he may end up being a cheap 2nd contract career backup, because I don't see any team right now saying "oh yeah, he is our guy at #1".

That being said, if Hundley isn't THE guy at #2, I would much rather spend a little extra money for a backup FA QB with experience, then putting the final 10 or so games in the hands of a rookie or a guy with little experience, if AR goes down again.
The prospect of having Hundley be the number 2 again definitely doesn't make me feel good about the position :) Though when I take the emotions out and forget the wins and losses, his play was probably fairly average to good for a back up. The major issue is besides some running backs and gritty performances from the offensive line nobody else seemed to step up for him. Whether its one of those intangible things he lacks or maybe that's how our pass catchers would respond to any back up leaves me the most worry.

Oh well, there are going to be a lot of changes this offseason, i'm not going to really be invested in Hundley or someone else. Either way they decide to do it, it's still a tough position to fill when you have an entrenched starter. You don't normally spend high draft capital in a back up and it's harder to attract those vets that still might have it and are willing to take back up money and the position. Whoever is calling the shots has a daunting task in the hopes the guy never sees the field anyway. I still think filling the rest of the team should be the priority. That will help Rodgers and it would help anyone else should they need to fill in for a bit.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All I know is I don't want to see the Packers spend a high pick on a QB, it isn't time. Doing so will also insure the need to carry 3 QB's, since I doubt a rookie QB is going to be ready to backup Rodgers right out of the gate. If the Packers think Hundley can get better over the next 7-8 months, he may be the cheapest and best option. I hate to even throw this name out there, but a guy like Cutler *hears the boo's* might be had for under $5M/year and provide a lot more insurance if Hundley isn't going to get any better.

Bottom line, Packers have to determine what the #2 QB spot is worth to them, not only in $$'s but in ability. How would this year have turned out had the Packers had a Case Keenum at backup for $2M/year? I also understand the fact that the Packers thought that Hundley would play much better than he did.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I know is I don't want to see the Packers spend a high pick on a QB, it isn't time. Doing so will also insure the need to carry 3 QB's, since I doubt a rookie QB is going to be ready to backup Rodgers right out of the gate. If the Packers think Hundley can get better over the next 7-8 months, he may be the cheapest and best option. I hate to even throw this name out there, but a guy like Cutler *hears the boo's* might be had for under $5M/year and provide a lot more insurance if Hundley isn't going to get any better.

Bottom line, Packers have to determine what the #2 QB spot is worth to them, not only in $$'s but in ability. How would this year have turned out had the Packers had a Case Keenum at backup for $2M/year? I also understand the fact that the Packers thought that Hundley would play much better than he did.
Athletically and skill wise, I don't see Keenum being that different than Hundley. he is fortunate in that he has a very strong defense to fall back on and they found a really good running game with Mckinnon. If you really watched him even in that last GB game. A little pressure on him to perform and he's not that good. Put him on a team where he has to be good every week and I don't think he looks much different than he has the previous years of his career that made him a cheap back up in the first place. I actually thought outside of the redzone INT, Hundley threw the ball better than Keenum head to head. Keenum had some pretty ugly passes too. It's just GB couldn't catch the ball that game, then was playing from behind and he was trying to go downfield too much. probably the weakest part of his game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Athletically and skill wise, I don't see Keenum being that different than Hundley. he is fortunate in that he has a very strong defense to fall back on and they found a really good running game with Mckinnon. If you really watched him even in that last GB game. A little pressure on him to perform and he's not that good. Put him on a team where he has to be good every week and I don't think he looks much different than he has the previous years of his career that made him a cheap back up in the first place. I actually thought outside of the redzone INT, Hundley threw the ball better than Keenum head to head. Keenum had some pretty ugly passes too. It's just GB couldn't catch the ball that game, then was playing from behind and he was trying to go downfield too much. probably the weakest part of his game.

All good points, so we need to find a clone to Rodgers for our backup or we are screwed? ;)

Hate to beat a dead horse, but it is pretty pathetic that the Packers pretty much fell apart with the loss of one guy (and a crappy defense). If some of the news out of GB is true and the Board told Murphy that it is time to reassign TT, I think Rodgers was the one who saved TT for many years and ultimately cost him his job when he got hurt.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All good points, so we need to find a clone to Rodgers for our backup or we are screwed? ;)

Hate to beat a dead horse, but it is pretty pathetic that the Packers pretty much fell apart with the loss of one guy (and a crappy defense). If some of the news out of GB is true and the Board told Murphy that it is time to reassign TT, I think Rodgers was the one who saved TT for many years and ultimately cost him his job when he got hurt.
I think a Rodgers clone is what people expect at times. There has been a lot of games where the QB play has been really poor and those guys are actual starters in this league. Hundley isn't great, he also wasn't helped out by his teammates very much either in terms of making plays. Jordy has made countless spectacular catches for Rodgers, couldn't make routine ones for Hundley at important times.

I'm not even getting into the Ted/Rodgers made him argument.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not even getting into the Ted/Rodgers made him argument.

Don't worry, that will be debated back and forth for a long time. This final year as GM and all that unfolded during it, will add lots of fuel to that debate for the TT naysayers.

NBA1971

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like we are at #13ish... Which is a nice change of pace. Now, I won't have to stay up until midnight on a worknight to see Ted trade away our pick for a handful of day 2s and 3s!

He must be salivating at what he can package together with a high pick in the teens!

Yay more of the same.

Either Saquon Barkley or Calvin Ridley would be nice.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if it's been posted, but it seems we'll pick 13 or 14 depending on the result of a coin flip with Washington. We'd alternate with them the rest of the draft.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I've painfully watched CJ Mosley, Ryan Shazier, Darron Lee and Hasson Red**** come off the board the last few years. We should have a shot at R. Smith. If he is there at 14 its a no brainer.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Either Saquon Barkley or Calvin Ridley would be nice.

Ridley's size concerns me a bit. I like Parris Campbell better who it 6'1 2oo-205 range plus Campbell is faster and can be got in the second round most likely because of vanilla offense at OSU. Campbell has all the makings of a no.1 receiver and would give us a "field stretcher" from the slot which we currently don't have.

Remember MM likes to line is slot receiver on LOS. ;)

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most mock drafts have 3 or 4 qb's drafted before our pick, we should be able to find a difference maker with our pick. I don't think there is a TE worthy of that high a pick. WR, DL, LB, CB, T, what is our biggest need and who is there at that pick? What positions are strong and which are weak in this draft? We have a bunch of picks, so I would like to see us move up in the second round.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ridley's size concerns me a bit. I like Parris Campbell better who it 6'1 2oo-205 range plus Campbell is faster and can be got in the second round most likely because of vanilla offense at OSU. Campbell has all the makings of a no.1 receiver and would give us a "field stretcher" from the slot which we currently don't have.

Remember MM likes to line is slot receiver on LOS. ;)

Ridley can actually run routes tho...he's a no brainer over Campbell.

Campbell has the attributes of an elite athlete, but doesn't know how to play the position. He does not have all the makings of a #1 WR, unless you consider Darrius Hayward-Bey a #1 WR.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Ridley can actually run routes tho...he's a no brainer over Campbell.

Campbell has the attributes of an elite athlete, but doesn't know how to play the position. He does not have all the makings of a #1 WR, unless you consider Darrius Hayward-Bey a #1 WR.

I'm not so sure about this. I don't want a 190 pound receiver that gets pushed all around the field without elite speed. See "Trevor Davis"

I want elite talent and develop it and coach it up. Isn't that the mantra? This isn't a Jeff Janis out of Saginaw state situation. Cobb was a QB in college. Jordy was raw too. So was Greg Jennings. All were far more raw then Parris IMO. There is track speed and then there is field speed. Parris has both. He has that ability to get to top gear in a matter of steps. I can't stop getting excited about what he could do in our offense with some coaching and developing. His size speed combo is off the charts.

We agree to disagree here.