2017 Undrafted Free Agent Signings

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think Carroll Phillips has some potential to be a disruptive pass rusher. More of an OLB than DE at this point but he's strong with a nice motor. I would like to see us grab him.

Carroll Phillips, Joe Mathis, Devonte' Fields, and Jarron Jones are the top UDFA I want to see brought in.
Phillips signed with Jacksonville :tdown:

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  1. OL Geoff Gray, Manitoba
  2. QB Taysom Hill, BYU
  3. CB Donatello Brown, Valdosta State
  4. EDGE Johnathan Calvin, Mississippi State
  5. WR Aaron Peck, Fresno State
  6. WR Montay Crockett, Georgia State
  7. ILB Cody Heiman, Washburn
  8. OL Adam Pankey, West Virginia
  9. CB David Rivers III, Youngstown State
  10. DT Izaah Lunsford, Bowling Green
  11. P Justin Vogel, Miami (my favorite signing so far!!! Vogel was one of the top punters in the nation!)
Tryout/Rookie Minicamp Invites
  • WR Raysean Pringle, Southern Utah

combining the list as I see them pop up on the tracker

Thus far, I like Heiman and Rivers III. Heiman is a freakish athletic at ILB (used to do high jump 6'8"). Rivers is pretty fluid in the hips, 4.4 speed and pretty tall. needs to put it all together. I am hoping for a freakish EDGE rusher in free agency.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm honestly confused as to why they think we're set for edge rushers.

It is of some concern. Matthews and Perry aren't the best at staying healthy and Frackrell is unproven. We're gonna need a big year from Elliot most likely. They must think Biegel can help out too.

With these long db's there bringing in maybe were gonna go through some kind of scheme change.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is of some concern. Matthews and Perry aren't the best at staying healthy and Frackrell is unproven. We're gonna need a big year from Elliot most likely. They must think Biegel can help out too.

With these long db's there bringing in maybe were gonna go through some kind of scheme change.

did your font suddenly get bigger halfway through your post, or is that just my eyes ******** with me?

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Found this list, with write ups on Packers UDFA signings.

https://www.totalpackers.com/2017/0...m_campaign=Feed:+totalpackers+(Total+Packers)

I like the signing of P Justin Vogel to give Schum a run for his money. Since we didn't draft a true ILB, Cody Heiman intrigues me. I looked him up and saw him listed at 6'1" 229, which contradicts the 6'3" 245. I did see that he ran a 4.58 40 at his proday, and also played fullback at Washburn. Maybe one of the OL can make the practice squad. All in all, kind of an underwhelming 1st look at the UDFA's this yr, vs last yrs crop, IMO.

Sky King

Reaction score
Schum didn't earn a Crosby-like pass for last season's punting performance. He wasn't bad actually. The upcoming competition may lead to bigger and better things for the team regardless of who's doing the punting. May the winner be consistent.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I always like looking closely at the UDFA's we sign, especially since most of them are guys I never knew anything about.

A few that I really liked:

• Adam Pankey G/T (West Virginia) : 6'5" 324 lbs. Can play either G or T. Typical Packer OL prospect. Big wide body, quick for his size, needs work on technique.
  • Aaron Peck WR (Fresno State): 6' 3" 225 lbs. D1 School. Good body mass. Good stats despite being on a bad team 46 catches 630 yards 13.7 ave. Put up 112 yards against Nebraska and 194 against UNLV.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

• Raysean Pringle WR (Southern Utah) Have to watch the film. He does it all. Yes, small school. He is only getting a tryout. Not signed yet.

• David Rivers III CB (Youngstown State) Small school, but he is determined and his film is impressive.

• Justin Vogel P (Miami) One of the top punters in college this year. Good leg (not a boomer) but great hang time and accuracy. Schum has some competition no doubt.
Yup, I know all UDFA's, but on the Green Bay Packers.....you know a few of them are going to make it!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Here's a list of players the Packers have invited in for tryouts:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If Vogel can improve upon Schum, he should be far and away the biggest impact UDFA.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Vogel can improve upon Schum, he should be far and away the biggest impact UDFA.

I agree, it was a nice UDFA signing. I was hoping for either him or Austin Rehkow to be drafted in 7th, but I will take the "free pick" of Vogel. Johnston from OSU wouldn't have been bad either. Schum was better than Masthay, but I hope Vogel will have a bit more distance and more hang time with pinpoint accuracy.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree, it was a nice UDFA signing. I was hoping for either him or Austin Rehkow to be drafted in 7th, but I will take the "free pick" of Vogel. Johnston from OSU wouldn't have been bad either. Schum was better than Masthay, but I hope Vogel will have a bit more distance and more hang time with pinpoint accuracy.

I'm sure this will come as a shock to you, but I abstain from watching punters on principle.

From what I've read, Vogel has the best combination in the class of hang time and placement. But he isn't a booming field-flipper.

I'm just spit-balling here, but I wonder if he was particularly coveted by the Packers just because their offense doesn't typically end up in a big hole? I don't even know if that is a publicly tracked stat (i.e. where teams tend to end drives).

But I can reason that a team with a good offense would value placement over power if they had to choose, as they are more often (likely) trying to pin teams inside their own 10 as opposed to punting out of their own endzone.

One stat per SportingCharts that might give a little insight is Three and Out Drives.

In 2016, the Packers went 3 and out 33 times, which was 6th best. Their %, 18.75, was 9th.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm sure this will come as a shock to you, but I abstain from watching punters on principle.

From what I've read, Vogel has the best combination in the class of hang time and placement. But he isn't a booming field-flipper.

I'm just spit-balling here, but I wonder if he was particularly coveted by the Packers just because their offense doesn't typically end up in a big hole? I don't even know if that is a publicly tracked stat (i.e. where teams tend to end drives).

But I can reason that a team with a good offense would value placement over power if they had to choose, as they are more often (likely) trying to pin teams inside their own 10 as opposed to punting out of their own endzone.

One stat per SportingCharts that might give a little insight is Three and Out Drives.

In 2016, the Packers went 3 and out 33 times, which was 6th best. Their %, 18.75, was 9th.

This was the problem the Packers had with Masthay. Those few times they went 3 and out and needed a long kick, he wouldn't connect. When they needed a directional kick or a high pop-up, he usually didn't deliver and even boomed a few out of the endzone (loss of 20 yards). Schum doesn't have the huge leg either, but I think he was adequate for the Packers for the reasons you mentioned. Now if Vogel can do what Schum can do and occasionally be called on to punt a 45 yarder (with hang time), I am fine with that. While a guy who can average 5 extra yards a punt is nice, if he can't get hang time or direction, I don't want him punting for Green Bay.

BTW, I keep close tabs on punting. I still think its one of the most overlooked aspects of the game. A good punter has the ability to either flip the field and/or pin another team back. We have seen that happen against us in a number of games over the years. Masthay sucked at doing it. Schum was an improvement, I hope Vogel is a master.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I highly doubt that as the Packers rely on undrafted rookies as evidenced by nine taking snaps either on offense or defense last season.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I highly doubt that as the Packers rely on undrafted rookies as evidenced by nine taking snaps either on offense or defense last season.

Your phrasing here makes it a little hard to know what you mean, but a punter would clearly be an unusual case in terms of having a rookie UDFA starter. It's more plausible there than on offense or defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Your phrasing here makes it a little hard to know what you mean, but a punter would clearly be an unusual case in terms of having a rookie UDFA starter. It's more plausible there than on offense or defense.

True, but I consider undrafted rookies to receive snaps on offense or defense more impactful than a punter. Taking a look at the last fee years it's likely some UDFAs will get playing time in 2017 as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's a list of players the Packers have invited in for tryouts:

DB Cameron Brown from UW-Oshkosh is an athletic freak having run the 40 in 4.37 adding a 43-inch vertical.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
True, but I consider undrafted rookies to receive snaps on offense or defense more impactful than a punter. Taking a look at the last fee years it's likely some UDFAs will get playing time in 2017 as well.

It's my opinion that any UDFA on offense or defense would have to get a ton of snaps indeed before they matched the impact of a starting punter. But we shall see. This could be a season in which there is less opportunity than normal for a UDFA contribution given the volume of draft picks.

D

Deleted member 6794

This could be a season in which there is less opportunity than normal for a UDFA contribution given the volume of draft picks.

It's possible but in my opinion there will be opportunities for undrafted rookies as the Packers lost more players in free agency than they signed from other teams.

Members online

Latest posts