2017 Draft/FA Needs

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
HaHa Dix and Cockrell? If we draft Jake Butt from Michigan, well.....

Comedians would have a field day with that! Just saying. :coffee:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Rotoworld 3/03 - "It's somewhat surprising Cockrell didn't land a second-round tender after emerging as Pittsburgh's top corner the past two years, at times chasing No. 1 receivers. Still, Cockrell seems unlikely to generate significant interest on the restricted free agent market. The price for another team to acquire Cockrell would be a fourth-round pick and a big contract, and the Steelers can match any offer sheet Cockrell might receive."

He'll be 26 in August and has been matched-up against #1's for the last 2 years. How much of an upgrade is he from Gunter? Sign the man to an offer sheet!

He isn't a true no.1 as thats what Artie Burns is to them but he is better then what we have now so I wouldn't get mad over it.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Vikings loss was all Aaron though. For certain.

McCarthy deciding to go for it rather than kicking the game tying field goal late in the game didn't help either.

This defense laid some giant ******* stinkers out there last year. They also had a few good games sprinkled in there and dealt with a gutting and constant rotation in the middle and back end of that defense.

The defense had a few good games against below average offenses but performed absolutely terrible against top 15 scoring units.

Steelers only put an original round tender on CB Ross Cockrell, which would be fourth round. He's 25, 6' and was PFF's 29th rated corner. Packers could conceivably sign him to a contract that the Steeler's would be loathe to match and then the Packers are only giving up a fourth for a good, young corner. Just a thought.

Absolutely like the idea. Cockrell would be a cheap option who could provide a huge upgrade to the cornerback position. The only thing that worries me is that the Steelers would have seven days to match the offer leaving the Packers with only few choices at the position a week after the start of free agency if they decide to retain him.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing that worries me is that the Steelers would have seven days to match the offer leaving the Packers with only few choices at the position a week after the start of free agency if they decide to retain him.
They can still make a run at Gilmore if they desire, would having 2 stud CB's be such a bad thing? ;) I think the bidding will get to be too high for Gilmore, but TT could at least practice free agenting (a new verb I just made up).

D

Deleted member 6794

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Davon House released. He was a solid starting corner in our defense. He's still only 27. That could be a good signing.

D

Deleted member 6794

Davon House released. He was a solid starting corner in our defense. He's still only 27. That could be a good signing.

House had a decent first season with the Jaguars but struggled last year. I'm not convinced he's the cornerback the Packers should target to be the team's #1 next season.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
House had a decent first season with the Jaguars but struggled last year. I'm not convinced he's the cornerback the Packers should target to be the team's #1 next season.

Nor I, but I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect them to find a #1 on the market. Are they going to shell out for Gilmore or Bouye? Doubtful. Johnson is tagged. So what then?

I think a realistic hope is that they sign someone competent who can help them, a la Kirkpatrick or House. They're the same age. Kirk has played better more recent, but House has played well in GB's defense.

In any case, while neither guy should be the final word on the #1 corner position (likely looking draft for that), I think there's a great chance that either would improve dramatically upon Gunter in that role.

D

Deleted member 6794

In any case, while neither guy should be the final word on the #1 corner position (likely looking draft for that), I think there's a great chance that either would improve dramatically upon Gunter in that role.

It is finally time for Thompson to improve an obvious position (#1 cornerback) of need with a veteran free agent. Therefore I'm advocating for him to either bring in Gilmore or Bouye.

FL-PACKERfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thoughts on trading for Cooks? I would give up a 1st rounder for him. Still has 2 cheap years left on his rookie deal. We could then release Cobb and use the $ to sign a #1 CB.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It is finally time for Thompson to improve an obvious position (#1 cornerback) of need with a veteran free agent. Therefore I'm advocating for him to either bring in Gilmore or Bouye.

Yeah it would be super nice, but the more I look at this market with all the space out there the less realistic I think it is. Assuming that Gilmore would even choose GB, all else being equal, the guy is almost certainly going to be pushing 15M/season. There's no way TT does that, and honestly I can't blame him.

The last report I read on Bouye, the Texans were given a good chance to resign him before the market opens. Perhaps they would cut Joseph to get him done. He's older, but would be a good option to take over that top corner spot for a season or two while younger guys develop.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thoughts on trading for Cooks? I would give up a 1st rounder for him. Still has 2 cheap years left on his rookie deal. We could then release Cobb and use the $ to sign a #1 CB.

There's no reason to give up a first round pick to trade for Cooks. FYI he has only one year left on his rookie deal and releasing Cobb as well as acquiring the Saints receiver would only free up $3.5 million in cap space.

H

HardRightEdge

There was/is a separate "draft" forum, the one where Amish Mafia ran the draft picking contest (and where mods shuttled off some threads) in past years.

Anybody know how to get to it if it still exists?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
H

HardRightEdge

Not sure if this was what you are looking for.....was the "Amish 17th Annual Draft Contest"

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/17th-annual-draft-contest.66050/
Yeah, it's the "Draft Talk" forum which PkrJones also linked to above.

Funny thing. When I drill down through the forums menu that forum does not appear. But I bookmarked what Jones gave me and that will do.

Another funny thing. I'm finding it hard to get into this year's FA / draft period. Maybe if I dabble a little I'll muster some enthusiasm.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Another funny thing. I'm finding it hard to get into this year's FA / draft period. Maybe if I dabble a little I'll muster some enthusiasm.

I think many of us feel the same way, after years of getting our hopes up. Feels like watching all your friends Christmas shop via your couch and Skype.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's the "Draft Talk" forum which PkrJones also linked to above.

Funny thing. When I drill down through the forums menu that forum does not appear. But I bookmarked what Jones gave me and that will do.

Did you scroll down to the bottom of the page that you used to get here? Subforums used to be on top of the page but now I notice they are below the thread list. I've not gone looking that way for some time.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I see the Packers needing to get somewhat busy in this years draft with OL picks. With the possibility of Lang and Tretter being gone this year, along with Lindsley and Taylor's contracts being up at the end of 2017, that could leave the Packers with Bulaga, Bahk and Spriggs as the only O-lineman with much experience under contract. Hopefully, Murphy, Patrick and Flores are being brought along quickly. The Packers might be smart to extend Taylor sooner than later, before his asking price goes sky high.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
the 6 weeks was just an arbitrary number I pulled out, point being, Rodgers was not perfect all year. nobody is. There were plenty of times in the first half of the season where the offense or the defense put each other in bad positions. Plenty of times where a receiver couldn't help out their QB and the QB didn't help out the receivers. Plenty of opportunities for the defense to get a stop where they didn't, but also opportunities the defense gave the offense and they did nothing with it.

This defense laid some giant ******* stinkers out there last year. They also had a few good games sprinkled in there and dealt with a gutting and constant rotation in the middle and back end of that defense.

I grow tired of this notion that the Packers are nothing but Rodgers. it cheapens every single thing there is to love about the team sport of football. Saying we should win a super bowl every year just because we have him also cheapens every last thing there is to winning a championship. Mostly said by people that probably never played at a championship level on any team at any level let alone the NFL .
There's no way for me to know that I shouldn't take your "6 weeks" comment for exactly the way that it read.

I agree that, very seldom, was the entire team clicking on all cylinders. That much is 100% true. But I also recall myself saying early in the year last year that the fact that Rodgers and the offense didn't get a lot of reps together in the preseason would have a huge impact, and that the team would probably start off slow offensively. And then when it happened, many were saying Rodgers was done, Rodgers needed to be benched/traded, etc. I was among a small group of people that said stay calm, that those comments would prove to be foolish.

Somehow we still went 4-2 in the first 6 games, despite Rodgers not playing at the level he is accustomed to. The defense played respectable in stretches during those 6 games. That's what great teams need to do to bail their QB out when he's going throw a tough stretch, either due to just flatout poor play, or due to rust.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the Packers should win the Super Bowl every single year, but it is rather disappointing to have only had 1 Super Bowl appearance in the Rodgers era. And the biggest reason why there's only been one is due to the defense.

Not to beat a dead horse, but when you have Aaron Rodgers, a guy that has better overall playoff numbers than Tom Brady, across the board, there's no other way to look at the situation than to simply admit that Rodgers doesn't have enough. That's just the reality of the situation.

Sorry. Don't want to make this thread all about Rodgers, just wanted to get my response in.

H

HardRightEdge

I see the Packers needing to get somewhat busy in this years draft with OL picks. With the possibility of Lang and Tretter being gone this year, along with Lindsley and Taylor's contracts being up at the end of 2017, that could leave the Packers with Bulaga, Bahk and Spriggs as the only O-lineman with much experience under contract. Hopefully, Murphy, Patrick and Flores are being brought along quickly. The Packers might be smart to extend Taylor sooner than later, before his asking price goes sky high.
If 2018 FA were to be a factor, the Packers should be drafting a safety with Burnett and Clinton-Dix free agents after this season. Of course Randall could be moved to FS where he belongs. ;)

There's a good chance Spriggs will be a starting guard in Lang's stead. When he filled in at that spot he looked terrible in run blocking but pretty decent in pass blocking for a guy who's not played the position. Zone run blocking is a chemistry thing and needs to be worked out. He needs to add some bulk. They didn't trade up for this guy to have him sit on the bench until Bulaga's contract runs out in 2019 and they were d*mn sure they'd extend Bakhtiari when that draft pick was made given what they paid Bakhtiari.

If Bulaga were not coming off one of his best seasons, I'd think Bulaga would move to OG with Spriggs taking over at RT.

At a minimum, they will need to add at least one guy to the roster and somebody who would not be a disaster on the PS if called up in a pinch. They need to cover the backups at all positions, obviously. Murphy looks like a guy who might get work at C in camp. It's a weak draft on the O-Line...maybe one of Thompson's draft-an-OT-and-convert-to-OG will pop up in the mid-to-low rounds.

Members online

Latest posts