2017 Draft/FA Needs

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hope I am not stepping on an Mods toes, but hoped that we could at least have another thread on this subject, since the previous one was shut down. Given that it garnered 25 pages of conversation since the first of the year, I figure its a worthy subject to continue.

Last edited:

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Combine is a few days away. Can't wait to see how prospects do, especially the handfull I really like. Most of all I want to see how my Favorite CBs run the 40yd dash, this list includes Kazee,Awuzie, Kevin King, Sutton and Myrick. No secret we need a solid corner and hopefully we get 1 or 2 of the 5 I mentioned. All in all Can't wait to see these youngsters this year.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the previous thread of the same name I read that this draft was deep in CBs and OLBs. I will agree its deep at CB also RB and TE. But I don't feel this is a deep draft for 3-4 OLBs. Especially ones available to us when we pick #29. I'm all for Solomon Thomas experiment, who reminds me of JuliusPeppers. After that the OLBs I like aren't going to last till #61 but don't think should be 1st Rounders. Carl Lawson, Jordan Willis, TJ Watt. The other Badger Biegel will be a surprise at next level, I like him better than last years Joe Schobert. Biegel I have falling to the 3rd round somewhere in NFC North. I consider the 2 best OLBs this year Myles Garrett and Derek Barnett. Best case scenario Jordan Willis falls to us in 2nd I guess.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
ILB and DL are both positions where the Packers aren't desperate, but could use depth. Both positions look to be pretty weak in the draft. Plus they're quite young at both spots, so veteran experience would make sense to mix in. I would look for them to add a depth/rotational player at both spots.

At DL, Jared Odrick is interesting. He was ridiculously overpaid in Jacksonville, but as part of a rotation I think he could be a really nice option.

Sio Moore would be a good backup MIKE, with a little bit of ILB/OLB versatility.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
The last thread was shut down due to bickering and fighting. Hopefully this thread doesn't devolve into that again.

Carry on with your discussion.

D

Deleted member 6794

At DL, Jared Odrick is interesting. He was ridiculously overpaid in Jacksonville, but as part of a rotation I think he could be a really nice option.

Sio Moore would be a good backup MIKE, with a little bit of ILB/OLB versatility.

I would be fine with the Packers adding Moore and while Odrick is a decent run defender he has mostly disappointed as a pass rusher in his career.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would be fine with the Packers adding Moore and while Odrick is a decent run defender he has mostly disappointed as a pass rusher in his career.

He was a viable interior rusher in the not too distant past. I would like to see what he would do with ~400 snaps.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think because he didn't put 'www' in there. Interesting site.

Yeah, I get all sorts of virus bells going off when I try to load the site. Maybe my virus protection or the mere name of the site?

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.theringer.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I get all sorts of virus bells going off when I try to load the site. Maybe my virus protection or the mere name of the site?

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.theringer.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

I get that a lot , but my anti virus seems to handle it okay.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB and DL are both positions where the Packers aren't desperate, but could use depth. Both positions look to be pretty weak in the draft. Plus they're quite young at both spots, so veteran experience would make sense to mix in. I would look for them to add a depth/rotational player at both spots.

Im with you depth at ILB and DT would be nice. Odrick would be a nice addition depending on price. But we should stay clear of Sio Moore IMO he is inconsistent and average at best.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Carlos Henderson and Marlon Mack are a couple of guys i saw mocked to the packers and both are intriguing prospects as early and mid round selections. I have watched both play a lot and would be pretty happy if TT drafted either of them. They both can play.

Marlon Mack "South Florida" is a home run hitter that can break tackles and be physical as well. Great 4th round value. I'm torn between him and Jamaal Williams.

Henderson "La Tech" could end up being the steal of the draft if you consider 2-3rd round a steal. He is expected to run in the 4.3's and racks up YAC plays. He could add a dynamic over the top threat that can also make plays over the middle and turn them into even bigger plays.

Also, the more I look into Fabian Moreau the more I like.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If the Bills really do cut Kyle Williams, I would LOVE bringing him in. That guy would be an awesome mentor for the younger guys, and he can still play.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im with you depth at ILB and DT would be nice. Odrick would be a nice addition depending on price. But we should stay clear of Sio Moore IMO he is inconsistent and average at best.

It would be nice to inquire about Zach Brown from Buffalo. Tackling machine, true LB, could play anywhere inside or out. He's a definite upgrade over Sio Moore. Packers need tacklers!!!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It would be nice to inquire about Zach Brown from Buffalo. Tackling machine, true LB, could play anywhere inside or out. He's a definite upgrade over Sio Moore. Packers need tacklers!!!

Huge upgrade over Moore, though different positions (WILL vs MIKE). But huge upgrade in price tag too. GB will have to decide where they want to spend.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Huge upgrade over Moore, though different positions (WILL vs MIKE). But huge upgrade in price tag too. GB will have to decide where they want to spend.

There must be playmakers at every level of the defense. Cm3 should be at DE. Limit his responsibilities. Calm his mind. Get the QB. Get the QB. Get the QB. Many players will take a one year deal to get a ring and cash in the following year. Win a Super Bowl, let some guys go, get compensatory picks (Thompson's ******), re-open the championship window and reload for the back half of AR#12's HOF campaign.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There must be playmakers at every level of the defense. Cm3 should be at DE. Limit his responsibilities. Calm his mind. Get the QB. Get the QB. Get the QB. Many players will take a one year deal to get a ring and cash in the following year. Win a Super Bowl, let some guys go, get compensatory picks (Thompson's ******), re-open the championship window and reload for the back half of AR#12's HOF campaign.

That's fine. I'm just saying that Brown is going to cost and an expenditure there is one less elsewhere. Whether they would do it likely depends on how they view Martinez moving forward.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's fine. I'm just saying that Brown is going to cost and an expenditure there is one less elsewhere. Whether they would do it likely depends on how they view Martinez moving forward.

Martinez is entering his second year, still on his rookie deal. Running a 3-4, he can stay in the middle and play alongside a vet. Or the kid can ride the pine. Either way he comes cheap.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Martinez is entering his second year, still on his rookie deal. Running a 3-4, he can stay in the middle and play alongside a vet. Or the kid can ride the pine. Either way he comes cheap.

Right, but if they feel good about him moving forward with Ryan, then they likely choose to use their resources elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 6794

I advocated for the Packers to sign Brown last offseason when he would have been cheap (one year, $1.25 million deal with the Bills in 2016). Unfortunately he will receive a significant raise in salary and with the Packers having other more pressing needs there's no need to pursue him this time around.

There must be playmakers at every level of the defense. Cm3 should be at DE.

There's absolutely no way Matthews is capable of playing defensive end in a 3-4 defense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I advocated for the Packers to sign Brown last offseason when he would have been cheap (one year, $1.25 million deal with the Bills in 2016). Unfortunately he will receive a significant raise in salary and with the Packers having other more pressing needs there's no need to pursue him this time around.

There's absolutely no way Matthews is capable of playing defensive end in a 3-4 defense.

I'm sure he just meant the edge.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the previous thread of the same name I read that this draft was deep in CBs and OLBs. I will agree its deep at CB also RB and TE. But I don't feel this is a deep draft for 3-4 OLBs. Especially ones available to us when we pick #29. I'm all for Solomon Thomas experiment, who reminds me of JuliusPeppers. After that the OLBs I like aren't going to last till #61 but don't think should be 1st Rounders. Carl Lawson, Jordan Willis, TJ Watt. The other Badger Biegel will be a surprise at next level, I like him better than last years Joe Schobert. Biegel I have falling to the 3rd round somewhere in NFC North. I consider the 2 best OLBs this year Myles Garrett and Derek Barnett. Best case scenario Jordan Willis falls to us in 2nd I guess.

Biegel might not even get out of the 1st, he's also not the best linebacker at UW.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts