2015 Packers notes

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HardRightEdge

Tretter has to significantly improve his pass protection though to get any playing time at tackle.
Yeah, I think Tretter's done as an OT...backup C/G looks to be his niche. He's looked pretty bad the little he's played at any position.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Now, having never heard of, or seen Kowalski play, I'm going out on a limb and guess that Tretter is the more athletic of the two. ;)
That is a fair assumption. Kowalski looks awfully slow footed to be pass blocking NFL DEs and OLBs.

One thing we can say for him...he blocks to and through the whistle and appears to have a mean streak. Maybe a DT conversion?

You can see Kowalski pancaking little FCS guys right here:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

The Patriots have signed Matt Flynn.
I see now that NE cut their #3 QB Garrett Gilbert.

I maintain it was a mistake for the Packers to not re-sign Flynn. I hope to never find out if that's true.

H

HardRightEdge

1 day left in this minicamp, and so far I see no reports of any season ending injuries among any of the 90 guys.

Knock on wood....

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see now that NE cut their #3 QB Garrett Gilbert.

I maintain it was a mistake for the Packers to not re-sign Flynn. I hope to never find out if that's true.

Kind of a no brainer for them (signing Flynn and cutting Gilbert) They may think they have their QB of the future in Garrapolo and most likely starter for the first 4 games (or 3 or 2 or 1 or whatever it may be) of 2015. What they need is a guy better than Gilbert just in case JG can't make it go for 4 weeks or gets hurt. No way they sign Flynn if Brady isn't suspended.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Geez, get this thread back on topic. I'm running out of ideas about how to name a thread about mostly unimportant stuff about the Packers if Poppa San closes this one as well. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

Mandatory minicamp starts tomorrow. It runs 3 days. Then nothing until training camp begins July 29.

If the news flow is slow now, just wait until after this minicamp.

Things to look forward to this week:

1. Randall is one of 4 first round picks that remain unsigned as of 4 days ago. All first round picks were signed as of June 17 last year. The guys immediately above and below Randall on the draft board have signed, defining a tight range of possibilities. What's the hold up?

2. McCarthy and Rodgers will answer a half dozen, maybe 10, questions in their press conferences / interviews. One will be about Janis as the reporters have to give the people what they want, as the tail wags the dog. McCarthy will say that he expects Janis to take the second year jump, but he has some things to work on. Last time, it was "he's catching the ball better." Ouch.

3. Injury updates...Nelson, Hayward, et. al. And will the trend continue with nobody going down for the count?

4. Perhaps a league decision on Guion?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Mandatory minicamp starts tomorrow. It runs 3 days. Then nothing until training camp begins July 29.

If the news flow is slow now, just wait until after this minicamp.

Things to look forward to this week:

1. Randall is one of 4 first round picks that remain unsigned as of 4 days ago. All first round picks were signed as of June 17 last year. The guys immediately above and below Randall on the draft board have signed, defining a tight range of possibilities. What's the hold up?

2. McCarthy and Rodgers will be answer a half dozen, maybe 10, questions in their press conferences / interviews. One will be about Janis as the reporters have to give the people what they want, as the tail wags the dog. McCarthy will say that he expects Janis to take the second year jump, but he has some things to work on. Last time, it was "he's catching the ball better." Ouch.

3. Injury updates...Nelson, Hayward, et. al. And will the trend continue with nobody going down for the count?

4. Perhaps a league decision on Guion?

First of all I expect McCarthy to take the Packers on a team-building event on Wednesday as the practice isn't open to the public and he has done it over the last few years.

The NFL will probably let the team know before training camp about a possible suspension for Guion. I really have no idea why Randall hasn't signed so far.

H

HardRightEdge

First of all I expect McCarthy to take the Packers on a team-building event on Wednesday as the practice isn't open to the public and he has done it over the last few years.

The NFL will probably let the team know before training camp about a possible suspension for Guion. I really have no idea why Randall hasn't signed so far.
That's all fine and good. But what will Janis be having for breakfast? :sleep:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Geez, get this thread back on topic. I'm running out of ideas about how to name a thread about mostly unimportant stuff about the Packers if Poppa San closes this one as well. ;)
deleting the posts works pretty good too. If I'd had my laptop instead of my phone last time I'd have deleted then instead of closing.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have released rookie guard Marcus Reed. With the move the team has an open roster spot going into this week's minicamp.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

It took some time but the Packers have signed first round pick Damarious Randall today.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Here's a breakdown of Damarious Randall's contract: The four-year deal is worth $7,915,728 with $6,401,310 fully guaranteed (80.9%) and includes a $4,016,892 signing bonus.

His base salaries during the first three years are guaranteed at $435,000 (in 2015), $794,806 (2016) and $1,154,612 (2017). Randall's 2018 base salary of $1,090,318 is not guaranteed. He has a roster bonus of $374,037 due on the fifth day of training camp that season though.

Randall's salary-cap figure for this season is $1,439,223. The Packers used all but $1 of their total rookie pool ($5,123,244) for this season and $26,974,760 of the $28,177,842 they were allowed to spend on the total value of all their draft-pick contracts.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here are Tyler Dunne’s 10 takeaways from OTAs and minicamp:

1. Davante Adams may be on the verge of breaking out.
2. At OLB, Adrian Hubbard caught the McCarthy's eye.
3. Rajion Neal has the inside track on the No. 3 running back job.
4. Micah Hyde will have a role in the defense again.
5. Yes, Clay Matthews will be seeing snaps at inside linebacker.
6. Don't expect Aaron Rodgers to confine himself to the pocket.
7. Eddie Lacy is looking large. Again.
8. The young cornerbacks have a long way to go.
9. Defensive linemen are counting on newfound flexibility
10. Last year's finish will be motivation.

BTW, after four years covering the Packers Dunne is heading to Buffalo to cover the Bills. He fills in the list of 10 here:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...-at-early-workouts-b99522192z1-308319241.html

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have signed TE Harold Spears. The 6-foot-4, 248-pounder out of New Hampshire caught 56 passes for 838 yards with four touchdowns and earned first team all-Colonial Athletic Association honors. At his pro day, Spears ran 4.75 seconds in the 40-yard dash with 20 reps at 225 pounds on the bench press and a 36 1/2-inch vertical leap.

In addition the team released cornerback Travis Manning.

RB John Crockett sprained his ankle during Tuesday´s practice but expects to be ready for training camp.

H

HardRightEdge

The biggest (on the roster), slowest (at the combine) CB, LaDarius Gunter is apparently off to a good start.
http://www.espnmadison.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=20561&is_corp=1
The issue of track speed vs. field speed aside, Gunter commented, "“[The Combine] was just a bad day for me. Maybe I tensed up. I don’t know what the cause of it [was]. When I was training, I was faster than that."

He ran 4.65 at his Pro Day. It was not just one bad day.

Haden's time was observed in this piece...4.62 in fact at the Combine. That was one bad day...he ran 4.43 at his Pro Day.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Michael Rodney has an article/blog up at Packers Notes titled, “5 Packers Ready to Step Up”. He says Adams, Richard Rodgers and HHDC are the most popular and too easy so he doesn’t list them. The others aren’t that surprising either except “Carl Palmer” at #5. Here's the link:
http://packersnotes.com/2015/06/5-packers-ready-to-step-up/

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Michael Rodney has an article/blog up at Packers Notes titled, “5 Packers Ready to Step Up”. He says Adams, Richard Rodgers and HHDC are the most popular and too easy so he doesn’t list them. The others aren’t that surprising either except “Carl Palmer” at #5. Here's the link:
http://packersnotes.com/2015/06/5-packers-ready-to-step-up/

I hope Sam Barrington is ready to take the next step as well. Otherwise we would have to rely heavily on Carl Palmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts