2011 NFL Draft: Round 5, Pick 10, Overall 141 - DJ Williams, TE, Arkansas

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
DJ Williams, TE, Arkansas

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJZEyPCxAzM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJZEyPCxAzM[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxASKtmkQtQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxASKtmkQtQ[/ame]
Strengths:
• Naturally athletic and very smooth
• Great speed, quickness and agility
• Soft, reliable hands and good concentration
• Nice ball skills and terrific body control
• Runs excellent routes and able to separate
• Can get verticle and stretch the seam
• Runs hard and creates after the catch
• Aggressive and gives great effort as a blocker
• Tough and virtually fearless on the field
• Hard worker and leader with top intangibles
• Durable and will play through pain / injuries
• Productive with a lot of quality experience
• Offers some positional versatility

Weaknesses:
• Below average height and bulk with short arms
• Is not very strong or powerful
• Size limits effectiveness as a blocker
• Won't be a fit for every team or system
• Might be a bit of a 'tweener

Notes:
Was a three-year starter for the Razorbacks --- Could project to Tight End, H-Back or even Fullback at the next level --- Won the John Mackey Award as the nation's top tight end in 2010 --- Named 1st Team All-SEC in 2008 and 2010 --- Comes from a rough upbringing, where his drug addicted father abused his mother and is presently serving concurrent prison sentences of 25 and 27 years for separate convictions of attempted murder for shooting an individual and aggravated assault on a public servant while trying to be apprehended by police --- Active in the community and tells his story to help combat spousal abuse --- Named the 2010 Disney Spirit Award recipient, which is given to the most inspirational figure in college football --- Certainly isn't a prototypical prospect at the position but is a dangerous pass catching threat who offers more as a blocker than you would think --- Needs to be in the right situation and role to excel.

Career Statistics
Year GP REC YDS YPC TD
2007 13 5 94 18.8 0
2008 12 61 723 11.9 3
2009 13 32 411 12.8 3
2010 13 54 627 11.6 4
Totals 51 152 1,855 12.2

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/TE/DJ-Williams.php

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m sure Thompson won’t draft Casey just because he’s Clay’s brother and that’s how it should be IMO. Also CB, OLB, DE and even NT are bigger needs IMO. What I hope for the comp pick is this: Because the Packers are so deep and because they have a lot of players returning from IR, I hope Thompson and his staff see a player early in round four worth going up to grab and he will be more willing to do that because he’ll still have the comp pick at the end of the fourth round. I’m not sure how far up he can go with the Packers fourth rounder and perhaps a couple of other picks, but the Packers have another “extra” pick - the first pick of the seventh round and they can deal that one (as opposed to comp picks). My first choice would be a CB worth going up to get, but no matter the position if there’s a player Thompson and company just can’t resist going up to get I’ll be happy.

With the depth of the Packers’ roster I don’t think they need 9 draftees so Thompson could package three picks, for example, to move up and still end up with the “normal” 7 picks.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Don't know why I can't embed videos, but the first one is highlights, the second one is the E:60 story about DJ Williams.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I like our draft this year, but this one is kind of a head scratcher, Finley, Lee, Quarless, dont really need another pass catching TE but I guess we'll see.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
I like our draft this year, but this one is kind of a head scratcher, Finley, Lee, Quarless, dont really need another pass catching TE but I guess we'll see.

Lee has been cut, he's done with the Packers. I would guess that we roll with four tight ends: Finley, Quarless, Crabtree and Williams.

I could actually see Quarless being cut but I think it's more likely we go with all four.

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Williams brings game, story to GB

The Packers got another pass-catching weapon and D.J. Williams got the promise of a life neither he nor his family has ever known. Yeah, it?s a real good fit and an even better story. Williams, 6-2...

Source: Packers.com

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Crabtree being cut. I think if Quarless doesn't show progression during his second preseason, there is the possibility that he's cut. Basically, I agree with Future and we'll probably keep four ESPECIALLY if we cut one of our fullbacks.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Crabtree being cut. I think if Quarless doesn't show progression during his second preseason, there is the possibility that he's cut. Basically, I agree with Future and we'll probably keep four ESPECIALLY if we cut one of our fullbacks.

or doesnt resign kuhn

PackerChamps

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think that Thompson is getting the feeling that Finley, if he can stay healthy for a full season, is becoming a major prima donna and when contract time hits, he is going to want the MOAC.

I think Ted is prepping for the future and getting a player that can both catch and block and is a team player.

This was a quality pick and they got him in a good round.

The one that I am scratching me head over is the other DJ as in Smith. There wasn't a WR in that round that graded higher like Torrence Tolliver ranked 191 overall versus smith at 335. A 5'10 slow LB who runs a 4.7 40 doesn't do much for me.

With Jones possibly gone and Driver with a couple of years left and a bad ankle and no way of currently signing free agents, having him on the roster would have been more value IMHO.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I think Quarless will show more this season. You have to think the Packers are getting ready for life after Finley. His upside and potential will cause teams to overpay for the potential even though he's not been available. I love this pick.

MelrosE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is another selection that I loved. TE was one of the few positions that Green Bay was thin at.
Thin we were not. Finley, Quarless and Crabtree are all valuable players. If we were thin, we would've kept Donald Lee.

Reguardless, I love the DJ Williams pick. He's a great blocker along with a decent receiver. Kind of reminds me of a slower Kellen Winslow.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
If nothing else, it's great fodder for the history of the Pack. Good story, good player, hopefully good results on the field. I can't imagine another great catching TE can hurt the Pack.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Can we cut Crabtree already? This guy was a steal, but TE was deep enough already and with the addition of Taylor it became dumb deep for no reason. What are we, the patriots?

Members online

Latest posts