1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

2011 NFL Draft: Round 2, Pick 32, Overall 64 - Randall Cobb, WR, Kentucky

Discussion in '2011 Draft Archive' started by Wood Chipper, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +471
    I just think it was a decent way of illustrating that he's quicker than he is fast.

No need for all the insulting smileys.

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    Dont compare Madden to real life..It is insulting to real football :happy0005:

3. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Kind of like people who have fantasy football teams think they can own/ coach a real football team.... ;)

4. Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Rodgers2Finley4TDs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +16
    worst post ITT lol

5. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +103
    I also love this pick and the season can't get here fast enough. He adds a new wrinkle to the offense packages with end arounds, maybe even a few wildcat formations, etc.

He doesn't need to run elaborate routes, just get him out in space and let him make a play. When you add his return skills it's just a bonus.

:happy0005:

6. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,409
    he has a good attitude, has a multitude of skills, he is a guy that can make any play a big play. sounds like what we need

7. GBPack2010

GBPack2010 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +67
    Perfect Pick. I like first two picks a lot

8. 21dmvp21

21dmvp21 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    i loooooove this pick, i was sitting there at the beggining of round 2 hoping that either titus young, torey smith, or cobb would fall to us. mostly cobb. i have heard nothing but good things about him, he is so versitile, he could (and will) be out punt/kick returner, number 4 reviever behind jennings, driver, and nelson, he could play running back if needed, hell he could even be our emergency 3rd qb. i hope the pack put in a few wildcat plays for this guy, make this offense almost impossible to stop.

im so excited for football season now, the draft is usually when i can smell the season lol REPEAT

9. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,409
  10. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,409
  11. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    • Like Like x 1
  12. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    Does this mean Cobb will be putting the team "on his back"? How does he run"wid a broken leggg"?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ausnadian

Ausnadian Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +40
    Kurt Warner thinks Cobb is the best value pick of the second round.. that's cool!

• Like Like x 1
  14. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Cobb is way faster than Dexter McCluster. I hope you were kidding there.

15. Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    Uhhhh no comment there. From these videos, he does not look faster than mccluster sorry. I don't rate 40 times I look for on field speed with pads and he just doesn't the break away speed most his size do. I'm not saying he's slow or he sucks just though it was a bit of a reach. Relax ppl no need to jump down my throat. Makes me giggle. Jess don't listen to them I know exactly what your talking about. Was a pro gamer for mlg for a couple years lol

16. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,409
    dude he put da team on his back dawg

• Like Like x 1
  17. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    I LOVE THIS PICK. Cobb is a highlight waiting to happen. He'll play WR, RB and return kicks. In the Packers offense, Cobb should rack up the YAC.

18. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    He will have to watch out for Darewen Shawrper when we play da Saints. After all Shawper in the most hawdest hitten safety in da league.

19. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Doesn't have breakaway speed?
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i09R28AWgFU]YouTube - Randall Cobb 2010 Highlights[/ame]
    0:50 mark
    2:29 mark
    4:50 mark
    5:35 mark

All plays where he shows breakaway speed and ends up with a long TD.

If after that you still don't think he has breakaway speed, I got nothing else to say to you.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Packerfury

Packerfury Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18
    He's plenty fast. He ran what, a 4.45 at the combine? That's fast enough. And he gets to his top speed so quickly.

21. benchedpunter

benchedpunter Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  22. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,409
    agreed he looks good

23. Matty Flynn

Matty Flynn Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +42
    This guy is going to be a good replacement for the #2 or #3 WR when DD is gone.

24. Skarecrow

Skarecrow Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    Is it just me or is the only real difference between our 1st or 2nd receiver and our 4th receiver is the little video clip at the beginning of a prime time game where they say their name and what school they are from? We usualy have 3 or 4 receivers out there, and even when we only have two everyone gets rotated through anyways.

Also, with Cobb not having "elite" speed... the same is said about Jennings.

25. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Yeah, our receveivers, with the exception of Jennings, and even him, are interchangeable.

Their characteristics are different, but they all do the exact same things. You can line any one of them anywhere and ask them to run any route.

As for Cobb, I haven't seen any game from him, all I know are from the highlights.

But he doesn't show the ability to be a deep treat, and I think that's what people are reffering to. Jennings is a burner, Jones is a capable deep treat and so are Driver and Nelson, but Cobb doesn't appear to be an outside receiver.

That's different from being fast, though. Wes Welker doesn't play on the outside, but he's borderline uncoverable.

A closer comparison is Percy Harvin. You almost never see him lined up outside, or running deep patterns (though he is better at that than Cobb), but he's so shifty in and out of his breaks, and with the ball in his hands, that he's a great weapon.

That's what we'll get with Cobb, a guy that will work the close/intermediate routes, and, with the ball in his hands, will turn into a burner.

Plus, it's too soon to say he's not going to be able to work on the deep routes. He'll learn from some of the best in the game.