Where's the pass rush?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some funny stuff in this vid. A lot of what these guys say are pretty true though:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD_wuzrdzfk]YouTube - Hey Green Bay Packers - Where's the Pass Rush?[/ame]

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting.
Never heard of them before, or seen it of course.

Better than nothing I guess.
Some funny stuff.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's kinda funny.

But raise your hand who thought that Bobby McCray and remi Ayodele would've made an impact in the SB winners...

I have a problem with the OLB depth, but I think the DL depth, keeping Raji healthy and Cullen Jenkins fresh will make a huge impact in our pass rush.

Another year in a complicated scheme will also improve our D a lot...

BTW, the "bold guy"'s point about the pocket is EXACTLY what I was complaining about last year. That's what I was worried about, and what I think we adressed in the draft.

Fundamentals

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I like Australian Punters, I do, those guys tackle"

Priceless

They're right though, the rush must be consistent in order to make our defense one of the leagues elite. Our backs will be able to hold their own against a flustered qb due to a heavy rush.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's kinda funny.

But raise your hand who thought that Bobby McCray and remi Ayodele would've made an impact in the SB winners...

I have a problem with the OLB depth, but I think the DL depth, keeping Raji healthy and Cullen Jenkins fresh will make a huge impact in our pass rush.

Another year in a complicated scheme will also improve our D a lot...

BTW, the "bold guy"'s point about the pocket is EXACTLY what I was complaining about last year. That's what I was worried about, and what I think we adressed in the draft.
Yeah I agree RS in fact I think you were the first one to bring it up last season in this forum. I think this is what Cullen Jenkins was talking about when he complained about feeling "locked" in this defense. As the guys in the vid pointed out Jenkins was stuck in the old mindset about rushing the passer. Howevrr Capers told him to stop doing that because it was clogging up the linebackers. I guess old habits die hard.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collapse the pocket baby!

Anyone else get the feeling this will be Johnny Jolly's last year in a Packer uniform?

Ted takes guys with character, good people. Jolly's drug thing, I feel, has sealed his ticket out of Green Bay when his original contract is up.
Or when he gets incarcerated, whichever comes first!

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collapse the pocket baby!

Anyone else get the feeling this will be Johnny Jolly's last year in a Packer uniform?

Ted takes guys with character, good people. Jolly's drug thing, I feel, has sealed his ticket out of Green Bay when his original contract is up.
Or when he gets incarcerated, whichever comes first!

I doubt much happens in the Jolly case. The Starcaps case has been going on forever and Cushing was busted for PEDs and no legal action was taken against him. At the very least he's looking at a 4 game suspension.

Btw did anyone notice that TT impression? That was classic LOL.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt much happens in the Jolly case. The Starcaps case has been going on forever.
But there's a big difference between Minnesota courts and Texas courts.
One is liberal as anyone between CA and NY, while the other will fry a person without hesitation! Well unless they're a Dallas Cowboy.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can Chillar provide some pass rush?
I want to see him crush Farve, Kolb, Cutler, Romo, Eli, Sanchez.... break their heads.
Can Chillar really do THIS:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w9KF-hs5GA&feature=related"]YouTube - Chillar leaps over Wolfe and sacks Cutler.[/ame]

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Chillar can. I was pretty impressed with him at the beginning and middle of the season but I think he broke his hand or something and had to be out some games.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping Raji and Neal can collapse the pocket and give QBs no where to run and no where to hide this season. This will improve our pass rush.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you have to also assume we are going to play a little faster, because communication and adjustments will be more fluid 2nd year in this defense...there SHOULD be no where to go but up in our Defense, and I don't mean stats, I mean in dominance.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you have to also assume we are going to play a little faster, because communication and adjustments will be more fluid 2nd year in this defense...there SHOULD be no where to go but up in our Defense, and I don't mean stats, I mean in dominance.

Hopefully this happens because I've read some articles about Dom Capers' defense and it doesn't look pretty. Stats show that while his defense is an immediate success in the first year, it starts to regress every year after that. But you're absolutely right in that if our guys can get their assignments down then we should have a pure ferocity of a defense.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully this happens because I've read some articles about Dom Capers' defense and it doesn't look pretty. Stats show that while his defense is an immediate success in the first year, it starts to regress every year after that. But you're absolutely right in that if our guys can get their assignments down then we should have a pure ferocity of a defense.
yeah I've read that.

But then again, if you think about it, everytime he left for a HC job. Maybe his mind wasn't in the game 100%...

At least I hope that's the case, and that it'll change this year...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The trends of Capers as Defensive coordinator are pretty reliable/accurate.
As a head coach, that's a different story.

He made this defense go from crap to great against the run, which was his #1 focus going into the season. That's huge.

Now he knows he must do the same with the pass defense. No it doesn't need to also be #1, but it does need to stop making Farve, Roethlisberger, Warner, those types look like God as they did last year.

I hope this is not a case where the GM doesn't give the DC any new tools to make it better, instead expecting the D-coach to be better and the players to improve. I think they will be better even though no Merriman or Hughes was added. If they are better, our team will be better. If they're not, it will be deja vu.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay Packers Needn't Worry About Getting a New Pass Rusher | Bleacher Report

Pretty interesting article. The basic gist of it is that while some people blame our pass-defense on the pass rush while others on the secondary, you have to notice that it was a mixture of both. The writer points out that over the course of the season the pass rush issues and the secondary issues completely turned a 180. Meaning that in the the first couple of games our secondary was fully healthy but the pass rush was poor. However our pass rush become better but then injuries kicked in for the secondary.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay Packers Needn't Worry About Getting a New Pass Rusher | Bleacher Report

Pretty interesting article. The basic gist of it is that while some people blame our pass-defense on the pass rush while others on the secondary, you have to notice that it was a mixture of both. The writer points out that over the course of the season the pass rush issues and the secondary issues completely turned a 180. Meaning that in the the first couple of games our secondary was fully healthy but the pass rush was poor. However our pass rush become better but then injuries kicked in for the secondary.
Ah, the old SWITCHEROO!!!

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i remember watching that, i was watching with a buddy of mine who is a hardcore bears fan, that was an intense first game, loved the finish

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P23PJQ1qz6M"]YouTube- Aaron Rodgers Shoryuken[/ame]

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Interesting, but our pass rush in the playoff game was horrible.
I remember talking to Bob McGinn the week after that game and he said they (AZ) just singled Brad Jones with Levi and he was a non-factor, while they focused help against Clay Matthews, shutting him down with 2 guys easily as one would expect.

Capers needs to find a way to turn one of the interior DL into John Ruthless Randle. Imagine that from the middle, with Clay and Zombo from the outsides!

ZOMBO!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting, but our pass rush in the playoff game was horrible.
I remember talking to Bob McGinn the week after that game and he said they (AZ) just singled Brad Jones with Levi and he was a non-factor, while they focused help against Clay Matthews, shutting him down with 2 guys easily as one would expect.

Capers needs to find a way to turn one of the interior DL into John Ruthless Randle. Imagine that from the middle, with Clay and Zombo from the outsides!

ZOMBO!
Enters fresh B.J. Raji and Cullen Jenkins (Remember, Jolly didn't offer any pass rush, and for one half of the season Raji was hurt, and the other Pickett was (the old SWITCHEROO), so Jenkins played almost 85% of the snaps).

With now so many options at DL, there's no way a tired guy will play. So we'll have a dirsuptive one every time.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Enters fresh B.J. Raji and Cullen Jenkins (Remember, Jolly didn't offer any pass rush, and for one half of the season Raji was hurt, and the other Pickett was (the old SWITCHEROO), so Jenkins played almost 85% of the snaps).

With now so many options at DL, there's no way a tired guy will play. So we'll have a dirsuptive one every time.

Not only was it the stamina but learning the 3-4 as a reason for the inneffective pass rush. Like it said in the video, "Jenkins was in the old 4-3 mindset where you had to go after the QB. But Capers stopped him and said 'no' you have to leave that up to the linebackers." I doubt Jenkins really had experience blocking for the "next" guy to come in and get the sack. He is purely a pass rusher all by himself and didn't feel comfortable changing his technique. That is why he told the media he felt "locked" in this defense. It also somewhat explains the low sack numbers by the D-line in the latter half of the season, Jenkins was doing more blocking than actual pass rush. If I were Capers I'd let Jenkins do what he does best on certain downs. Just my two cents.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only was it the stamina but learning the 3-4 as a reason for the inneffective pass rush. Like it said in the video, "Jenkins was in the old 4-3 mindset where you had to go after the QB. But Capers stopped him and said 'no' you have to leave that up to the linebackers." I doubt Jenkins really had experience blocking for the "next" guy to come in and get the sack.

He is purely a pass rusher all by himself and didn't feel comfortable changing his technique. That is why he told the media he felt "locked" in this defense. It also somewhat explains the low sack numbers by the D-line in the latter half of the season, Jenkins was doing more blocking than actual pass rush.

If I were Capers I'd let Jenkins do what he does best on certain downs. Just my two cents.

I like the way you think, outside the box there.

How about this outside the box:
On passing downs sometimes, mix in a 4-2-5 defense, with 4 down linemen all pinning their ears back going after the QB's head.

Jenkins-Neal-Raji-Wilson
Those are 4 good pass rushing DL right there and some of them will need to be doubled.
That would be good news for Clay Matthews and either Brad Jones or whoever else.

Of course, Capers could and would occasionally drop one of the DL into a short zone area to try and James Harrison-confuse Warner.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

On passing downs sometimes, mix in a 4-2-5 defense, with 4 down linemen all pinning their ears back going after the QB's head.

Jenkins-Neal-Raji-Wilson
Those are 4 good pass rushing DL right there and some of them will need to be doubled.
That would be good news for Clay Matthews and either Brad Jones or whoever else.

Of course, Capers could and would occasionally drop one of the DL into a short zone area to try and James Harrison-confuse Warner.

Thanks for agreeing with me. Your idea is pretty clever, it's similar to what the Giants did in the '07 season where they loaded up the line with pass rushers: Umenyiora-Alford-Strahan-Tuck. It worked to perfection with their defense and I'm hoping we can incorporate something like that 3-4 defense style. Of course it's all up to Capers to dial something up like that but I have no doubt he may try something like that.

When we switched to the 3-4 I was all for it but I didn't want to throw Vanilla Bob's defense completely out the door either. We all know Capers likes to play a lot of zone but we are still mostly a man cover team. I was hoping we could implement stuff that we did CORRECTLY in the 4-3 and translate that into the 3-4.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jenkins-Neal-Raji-Wilson

I personally think the combo of CM3 - Jenkins - Raji - Jones is the better fit. Capers loves his 4-2-5 with elephant DEs, and both CM3 and Jones are very good at it.

Would put Barnett and Chillar at the ILB job. Both can blitz effectively, and are good covering...

that would be my nickel set.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally think the combo of CM3 - Jenkins - Raji - Jones is the better fit. Capers loves his 4-2-5 with elephant DEs, and both CM3 and Jones are very good at it.

Would put Barnett and Chillar at the ILB job. Both can blitz effectively, and are good covering...

that would be my nickel set.

I think that would be the 2-4-5 set that Capers used like 50% of all his plays but yeah that would be my ideal Nickel set as well. I read though that Capers wanted to try out more base defense this time around. In that case I'd like a pure pass rush base with the DLine containing Jenkins-Raji-Wilson/Harrell and Neal-Pickett-Jolly on running plays.