Trade Possibilities?

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score

GBpsyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather have Joe Thomas over Jackson. Even though he is a beast, we still have the same O-line, "baby swiss". Perfect name

OP
OP
Mack_20

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather have Joe Thomas over Jackson. Even though he is a beast, we still have the same O-line, "baby swiss". Perfect name

I agreee Joe Thomas would be nice, but I think there is a 0 chance of the Browns giving him up. Maybe go after Tra Thomas though. . But even with our "baby swiss" line which I agree is the perfect name for our O-Line, Jackson would create an actual running game to the one we don't have now, even with a line, Grant would still have absolutely no vision, I like him, but you can only do so much, and what he can produce, isnt much.

OHIOFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love the Pack to get Joe Thomas. The word in Cleveland is that almost everyone has a price but Thomas, but you never know the truth. I am all for getting quality O-line help, the offense has a great Qb, very good WR, a up and comming TE, but hardly and running game. Because of no running game it is hard to fool teams on play action, I think that Jackson would be a great addition. If the Browns would let Thomas go for a 4th round pick and Kampman, that would be great-a straight up trade would be even better.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Thomas would be just awesome. Jackson would be fantastic too, he would get the yards we can't get and allow Rodgers to kill defenses with PA.

But really, does anyone really expect any trade to happen? TT is our GM, and that article was written by Florio, for crying out loud...

OP
OP
Mack_20

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No I don't expect any trade to happen. . . TT is too stupid and stubborn to make it happen. Florio made good points with all his trade possibilities, and when you have a team like Green Bay right now, you have to act while you have the cast around you. When you are a couple moves away from your franchise being a serious super bowl contender, you make the moves. TT should be doing everything in his power to get something done. Another losing season should bring the end for TT, maybe this will kick start his thinking process on ways to get something done here before the trade deadline

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A solid running back is a great shot in the arm for a struggling offensive line, and I think Stephen Jackson is a game changer. I would love to have that guy on our team. The guy's a beast, he runs hard and would be the perfect counter punch to AP. The guy is explosive and can find the holes pretty well.

Thus far I'm not convinced Grant is the best intermediate or longer term option. I like the guy fine, but I'm not convinced he's starting caliber any more. Maybe he never was. Yeah, he came through two years ago when we needed him, but he hasn't been much of a force since.

Getting Joe Thomas would be a pipe dream. Sure, we'd love to have him, but I think Cleveland would be on crack to trade him.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record, I'm not a TT apologist, but let's not forget TT tried to get Tony Gonzales from KC last season. In fact, they had an agreement lined up, and moments before the trade wwas to be finalized, KC upped the asking price. Not wanting to do business with someone who just tried to screw you, I think TT was smart to pass.

I say this to show that TT isn't quite the dim witted bulb many make him out to be. The guy won't be taken hostage, and I respect that. Sure, we'd love him to do more in FA, but the fact is we're not a horrible team. I mean, this team could be a real playoff contender with the personnel we currently have, and that's without the benefit of too many free agents.

Besides, free agency doesn't automatically mean championships. Look at Washington and Dallas for examples.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think the packers should make one huge move before the deadline is up. Would be great to get Thomas or Jackson. TT really needs to make a move here. I'm not holding my breath for it though since he is known for not making that many moves.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record, I'm not a TT apologist, but let's not forget TT tried to get Tony Gonzales from KC last season. In fact, they had an agreement lined up, and moments before the trade wwas to be finalized, KC upped the asking price. Not wanting to do business with someone who just tried to screw you, I think TT was smart to pass.

I say this to show that TT isn't quite the dim witted bulb many make him out to be. The guy won't be taken hostage, and I respect that. Sure, we'd love him to do more in FA, but the fact is we're not a horrible team. I mean, this team could be a real playoff contender with the personnel we currently have, and that's without the benefit of too many free agents.

Besides, free agency doesn't automatically mean championships. Look at Washington and Dallas for examples.
TT explores all options, and really does his homework. However, he tends to let the financial part of the business overtake the football part of business. Unless he absolutely has the advantage in the deal, it doesn't get done. Olshansky, Canty, Randy Moss... those deals weren't nothing much, but it wouldn't be smart business in financial terms. He's just not agressive enough. I'm not talking about paying Haynesworth. I'm talking about getting Faneca.

OP
OP
Mack_20

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but there is no reason the Pack shouldnt be right up to the cap max every year. Its not like we have an owner not willing to dish out the money. . . . A great example of free agency and trading, although I hate to say it, the queens. Chester Taylor, Jared Allen, Antoine Winfield, Barnyard Berrian(not the greatest, but the best they have) and yes Brett Favre have all been acquired via free agency or trade. . . thats quite the list of players. . . .

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Vikings have made some great acquisitions through FA or trades. I just think if TT doesn't do something big by the deadline he shouldn't be around anymore after this season. We need a GM who can pull off a few things so that we can reach our potential. I do agree with RS that it seems TT just doesn't have the right mindset to be a great GM. I hope he proves me wrong and gets a deal done before next Tuesday.

OP
OP
Mack_20

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Vikings have made some great acquisitions through FA or trades. I just think if TT doesn't do something big by the deadline he shouldn't be around anymore after this season. We need a GM who can pull off a few things so that we can reach our potential. I do agree with RS that it seems TT just doesn't have the right mindset to be a great GM. I hope he proves me wrong and gets a deal done before next Tuesday.

very well put, i couldnt agree more. . . He makes no moves, he should be gone, wouldnt it be a dream to have wolf back haha that would be amazing

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed ^^^ ... ohh well maybe he will just sit back and watch us stink it up ... he must know he is on thin ice ...

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it really that much to ask of TT for one big trade? Kampmann and a few picks for Joe Thomas or something along those lines. If TT was actually aware of how close he is from being fired, don't you think he would've gotten a deal done already? I just hate being let down time and time again that TT didn't get a deal done. Not asking him to be Dan Snyder and go crazy with power and start signing several huge stars. Is it really true that the only reason he didn't pull the trigger to get Randy Moss was because he didn't want to let go of a 4th round pick? If it is, I'm ashamed. Randy Moss wouldn't really matter right now in this offense due to our awful o-line play, but he might have been a key in past games.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be willing to give a 1st and 2nd for the Browns left tackle. He is young and is already broken in. A foresure thing. I agree this is just a dream. If the dream is dead then a Jackson trade makes sense, giving the Rams Grant and a draft pick.

If any of these trades are possible TT should pull triger.

Purplepeopleeater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't heard any rumours of any team making any big trades, and probably we won't see any. Not sure why baseball has more trade deadline deals than football has, but that is the case.

paco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There isn't a chance in hell we trade for any top notch O-lineman. Teams just don't trade them away. Not for another good player, not for a player and a 1st rounder, not for anything.

Kampy for a backup OT is the best you can hope for. Right now the price for the Packers is going to be very high because teams know we need it. Our best chance for value of Kampy is to get straight up draft picks, or franchise him and trade him in the offseason. That goes the same for Barnett or anyone else you want to bring up.

The Packers will have to find the LT of the future in the next draft. He's not on the roster now. Clifton will do fine this year and maybe next now. Colledge should stay at LG. Lang is a better fit at OG or RT.

I'm all for upgrading the team through trades and free agency, but I think the odds are against the Packers now. Our players values are low at the moment and the market is high.

gute

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade Kampman to Houston for their one and then trade the one to San Diego for Merriman. Houston needs pass rush and we need a true 3-4 outside linebacker. Plus it gets Kampman out of the conference. Look, both guys are gonna be free agents next season so why not make the move now. Is it likely? Probably not. Would Houston give up a 1 for Kampman - I don't know. Kampman has never had a major injury and seems to take great care of myself.

paco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade Kampman to Houston for their one and then trade the one to San Diego for Merriman. Houston needs pass rush and we need a true 3-4 outside linebacker. Plus it gets Kampman out of the conference. Look, both guys are gonna be free agents next season so why not make the move now. Is it likely? Probably not. Would Houston give up a 1 for Kampman - I don't know. Kampman has never had a major injury and seems to take great care of myself.

I really don't think Kampy is worth a 1st rounder to anyone right now. Conditional pick that can escalate to a 1, maybe. Kampy isn't the same guy he was a few years ago.
Last year all 9.5 sacks came in 6 games. In 2007 they came in 9, but he had 3 games with 2 or more.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kampy. His motor runs non-stop. But it seems to be all or nothing. There are games he just disappears as far as pass rushing goes, and not always against good competition. He turns 30 next month. Not saying he doesn't have a lot left. But with his current performance and age don't give us a lot of leverage.

As for Merriman... Not sure I want him. He's not a team player and has attitude issues. Add in the fact that he has had some injury problems, isn't playing well now, and would also be learning the 3-4 system as well. I think he has more left in the tank than Kampy, but he'll also cost a lot more money. Not sure it equals out. Rather go high in the draft for that spot again than Merriman.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
From are resident rumor expert at the HQ Arrigo:
Well, on Tuesday October 20th, it will be the NFL trade deadline. Unlike the NBA and Major League Baseball it is less likely to have a blockbuster deal on deadline day. But this year it seems that there are a lot more whispers about possible deals that could go down. One team whose name keeps coming up is the Green Bay Packers.

Ted Thompson will never be confused with "Trader (insert name here)", but it is not because of lack of effort. Last year he nearly obtained former Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez, but then Chiefs G.M. Carl Peterson tried to strong arm a second round pick for Gonzalez, instead of the agreed upon third rounder with under 10 minutes to go. Thompson backed out of the deal.

This year much has been said about the Packers poor offensive line, lack of running game and strong safety issues, so I placed a few calls to see what was being talked about or in G.M. speak, "doing their due diligence" .

Here is what I heard thus far:

Steven Jackson to the Packers for Ryan Grant, a 2nd in 2010 and a conditional pick in 2011 (either a 3rd or 2nd depending on Jackson's production):

I had 3 different sources telling me that this deal is a "no brainer" for both teams. Jackson would provide the type of running back Mike McCarthy wants, a power runner that can be an every down back and go the distance anytime he touches the ball.

Some in the Packers organization do not feel Grant will ever get his "magic" back from 2007 and they think this will be his last year in Green Bay.

The Rams are a team in full rebuild mode. Jackson would be approaching his 30's by the time the Rams would be a contender again and is wasting in St. Louis. With a second rounder in 2010 and the conditional pick in 2011 they would be able to add valuable draft picks to rebuild. Grant would give them a running back who they could use on first and second down and may benefit from a change of scenery.

Cincinnati Left Tackle Anthony Collins for Aaron Kampman.

I don't see this happening but from what I understand it was talked about and reported on SI.com as one of their 10 trades that should happen.

Collins would provide depth at the left tackle position, but Kampman is a Pro Bowl player, unlike Collins. Yes Kampman has not had the type of impact in Dom Capers 3-4 defense and he is a free agent at the end of the year, but he is to talented for this deal.

Carolina Defensive end Julius Peppers for Kampman:

Peppers wants out of Carolina, he wants a new deal and he wants to go to a team that runs a 3-4 to play outside linebacker. It was rumored in the off season that the Packers and Panthers were talking about a Peppers for Kampman deal, but nothing ever materialized.

This deal would make sense in a lot of ways for both teams, but like Kampman, Peppers is a free agent after the season and unlike Kampman, he wants "Haynesworth" type money.

Shawne Merriman for a for a 2nd round pick in 2010 and a conditional pick in 2011 or a player. The Packers would want a window to get a new deal done with Merriman if they agree on compensation:

Merriman is a free agent after the season and does not like Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith and from what I hear, the feeling is mutual. The Chargers drafted Larry English in the first round just incase Merriman decides to "bolt" after the season.

With Merriman not showing the same burst so far this season (partly because of a strained groin) and with Merriman calling out Smith recently, trade talks have "heated up" regarding Merriman. He would provide the type of pass rusher the Packers need in their 3-4 defense.

The Packers have talked to the Rams about Chris Long. This deal makes sense, but I am not sure how serious either side is. In this deal the Packers would trade Aaron Kampman and a 2nd round pick for Long and the Rams 3rd round pick in 2010. Long has not "fit in" in the 4-3 like the Rams have hoped and is not the starter while the same could be said for Kampman in the Packers 3-4.

Keep this in mind, Chris Long was an outside linebacker at the University of Virginia and played his entire college career as a 3-4 linebacker.

The Packers have talked to Oakland about a variety of players. Michael Bush, Michael Huff and Darren McFadden namely.

The Raiders want a 1st, Brandon Jackson and another player for McFadden, which is to rich for the Packers (and I don't think Oakland, I mean Al Davis wants to deal him).

As for Huff I was told a 3rd or 4th could land him and the same price could possibly land Bush.

Finally, the Packers talked to Browns about Joe Thomas. The price for Thomas is to high and he won't be moved from what I was told.

Get ready for more and more rumors until the trade deadline passes on Tuesday. But please remember this, there are a lot of deals that are talked about and never done, like Marcus Allen to the Packers for Brian Noble in 1992. These are rumors, NOT facts, so please don't kill the messenger.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great post by that guy! The Michael Bush and Huff deals should be made A.S.A.P. Bush IMO is better than McFadden RIGHT NOW, and would be an instant upgrade over anything we have.
-
That Antonhy Collins thing is just a bad joke.
-
Chris Long would be an awesome deal, the kid was a beast.
-
Merriman would be a dream come true. Beast.
-
Peppers I advocated in favor of it, but now I say stay away from him.
-
The rest has been discussed.
-
And as has been discussed, nothing's going to happen. If there would've been a deal, it would've happen BEFORE the bye week, so the player could acclimate.

Members online