Tracking the 2023 Green Bay Roster

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d like to know how Oren Burks can spend 4 years in GB and never get off Teams. Then he goes to the 49ers and is starting on the #1 Defense in the NFL, alongside Fred Warner and Dre Greenlaw.
Go figure.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d like to know how Oren Burks can spend 4 years in GB and never get off Teams. Then he goes to the 49ers and is starting on the #1 Defense in the NFL, alongside Fred Warner and Dre Greenlaw.

You say that like he is a starter, which he isn't. He has only started three games in his time with the Niners and this is the first year of his entire career he is pacing to have more than 20% of the defensive snaps with him in. He only plays when they utilize a Sam - well that's what they call him on their depth chart.

First week he played 8 total defensive snaps.
Second week he played 2
Third week 21
Fourth week 19
Fifth week according to Pro Football Reference was 25

He is playing less than McDuffie is, by a fairly big clip truthfully. McDuffie has 104 snaps with one less game at this point than Burks' 75 atm.

Burks may be getting more play this year than he has in past with us and Niners but he is still merely a role player who is one of their main ST guys. And to be fair his last year here he played 19% of the teams defensive snaps...something he still may end up doing this year for the niners presently at only 24%.

Reaction score
You say that like he is a starter, which he isn't. He has only started three games in his time with the Niners and this is the first year of his entire career he is pacing to have more than 20% of the defensive snaps with him in. He only plays when they utilize a Sam - well that's what they call him on their depth chart.

First week he played 8 total defensive snaps.
Second week he played 2
Third week 21
Fourth week 19
Fifth week according to Pro Football Reference was 25

He is playing less than McDuffie is, by a fairly big clip truthfully. McDuffie has 104 snaps with one less game at this point than Burks' 75 atm.

Burks may be getting more play this year than he has in past with us and Niners but he is still merely a role player who is one of their main ST guys. And to be fair his last year here he played 19% of the teams defensive snaps...something he still may end up doing this year for the niners presently at only 24%.
Maybe some semantics there. Starter Non starter and thanks for the stats.
Here’s the reality. Oren Burks who everyone in here attacked repeatedly for 4 years straight just played 51% of the D snaps last night + 41% of Teams snaps ta boot.
After I wrote that he finished last night with:
5 Tackles (2 solo)
1 INT
1 PD
This is the #1 rated Defense in the NFL and he’s very involved and he’s playing really good. Possibly just had one of the better games of his career. This isn’t the Chicago Bears mop up duty. Truthfully, you don’t even take a snap on that Defense unless you’re a heck of an athlete imo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here’s the reality. Oren Burks who everyone in here attacked repeatedly for 4 years straight just played 51% of the D snaps last night + 41% of Teams snaps ta boot.
5 Tackles (2 solo)
1 INT
1 PD
This is the #1 rated Defense in the NFL and he’s very involved and he’s playing really good. Possibly just had one of the better games of his career. This isn’t the Chicago Bears mop up duty. Truthfully, you don’t even take a snap on that Defense unless you’re a heck of an athlete imo.

There are countless players that don't grow into their role with the team that picks them and then finds some rotational success elsewhere. Shoot Rasul Douglas is a PRIME example the other way.

Reaction score
There are countless players that don't grow into their role with the team that picks them and then finds some rotational success elsewhere. Shoot Rasul Douglas is a PRIME example the other way.
Rasul is a good example. They were actually both selected at the same area of their respective drafts (Rd 3)
I’m actually happy for Burks as he took a lot of heat in here as another 3rd Rounder bust. It goes to show you how scheme fit and player usage is really important. He’s got some great players surrounding him in San Fran and those guys look super legit right now. I’m curious to see how KC responds to 49ers coming up here.

You’re right though.. We win some we definitely lose some.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rasul is a good example. They were actually both selected at the same area of their respective drafts (Rd 3)
I’m actually happy for Burks as he took a lot of heat in here as another 3rd Rounder bust. It goes to show you how scheme fit and player usage is really important. He’s got some great players surrounding him in San Fran and those guys look super legit right now. I’m curious to see how KC responds to 49ers coming up here.

Many would argue he still is a "bust" as many expected he would be a starter, playing 70%+ of defensive snaps and he is FAR from that, even that last game where he set personal records is below that.

Reaction score
Many would argue he still is a "bust" as many expected he would be a starter, playing 70%+ of defensive snaps and he is FAR from that, even that last game where he set personal records is below that.
My expectation for a later 3rd Rounder aren’t super high. I certainly wouldn’t call a player who started their career with several injuries, then worked their way up the depth chart as a valuable Teams contributor waiting for his chance and is now contributing to a Defense allowing 13.6 pts per game a bust. Then if we look at SF49ers Special Teams they look pretty darn good to me.

Now Someone might reasonably argue Burks didn’t initially live up to his draft standing. But a “Bust” is another level of bad. Plenty of 3rd Rounders have played themselves out of the league since Oren Burks was drafted.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I'm curious to know what Burks would say about his position coaches here vs. San Francisco.

Reaction score
I'm curious to know what Burks would say about his position coaches here vs. San Francisco.
Good question. SF would probably make Savage look good. It’s almost a culture

On another note. Starting to see more talk about Trade Deadline as it approaches. Another Game Loss for several teams should have options open up for a trade partner. Denver being one of them

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1.) Greenlaw's doin' the work
2.) When drafted I remember saying right college right position wrong guy...we should've gotten Cunningham

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5 Tackles (2 solo)
1 INT
1 PD
1.So are you saying he didn't start in GB because people on this forum attacked him?
2. Or are you saying that GB can't evaluate talent?
3. Or are you saying GB can't coach talent?
4. Or are you saying the Gute 3rd round jinx is that powerful?
1, TIC
2. Asking for a friend.
3. Serious
4, Half TIC.

Reaction score
1.So are you saying he didn't start in GB because people on this forum attacked him?
2. Or are you saying that GB can't evaluate talent?
3. Or are you saying GB can't coach talent?
4. Or are you saying the Gute 3rd round jinx is that powerful?
1, TIC
2. Asking for a friend.
3. Serious
4, Half TIC.
Sounds like Your friend needs a big, unexpected huge hug. Give them that hug from me.
Then tell your friend that God loves them and thus so does Oldschool

Last edited:

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lawrence GUY comes to mind..was just a guy here..but has had a decent career in New England.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lawrence GUY comes to mind..was just a guy here..but has had a decent career in New England.
Extraordinary career considering he managed to hang around long enough to find his role in the NFL.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll disagree then because what I see in him is a guy who took up a roster spot and did nothing with it.

Your conflating what happened and who is due to where we drafted him. You get a special team starter and serviceable back up LB (which he has proven he is) on mid to late Day 3 there isn’t a GM in the league that wouldn’t say yes.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Extraordinary career considering he managed to hang around long enough to find his role in the NFL.
I believe Lawrence Guy was dyslexic or similar learning disability, so MUCH more/other teaching techniques were required by ALL of the teams he played for. Very happy he found success & stuck around the league, hats off to ALL involved.

Members online

Latest posts