Thoughts on the Packers taking Davis?

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you guys think about us taking Vernon Davis with the #5 pick. The guy is a flat-out beast and will make an immediate impact wherever he goes. Plus it could mean Brett would come back. What say you?

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would be a good pick but only one problem. Where do you put him. Do you convert him into a WR or is he still a TE. could be a a fine addition but dont know where you would put him

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bubba Franks and Donald Lee

what about them. Davis will probably be very good, but...we dont need TEs

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
He would be a good pick but only one problem. Where do you put him. Do you convert him into a WR or is he still a TE. could be a a fine addition but dont know where you would put him

No conversion for Davis. He doesn't run routes as well as a WR needs to even though he has the speed. Corners would cover him like flies on sh*t. LB's on the other hand, hmmmm...definite mismatch IMHO.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problem taking Davis. He can be used in so many ways. He has good size and amazing speed. Great Vert. He's a one of a kind prospect where as we'll see more AJ Hawks come out..

Davis could be are impact threat. Franks won't stretch the field and is only a threat inside the 20.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there was the slightest need for TE i would be all about Vernon, but unfortunately we have other needs to cover especially at the number 5 pick. He is going to be a very good player though.

OP
OP
P

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know TE may not be a major need. But looking at this years LB class, there are some guys in round 2 that will be very good as well (D'Qwell Jackson and Abdul Hodge) I think Hawk will be a great player but it isn't like he is the only good LB in the draft. IMHO, Davis is head and shoulders above the other top TE's (Pope, Lewis, and Byrd) unlike Hawk who isn't that much better than the other LB's (Greenway, Sims, Ryans, and Howard)

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offensive scheme that MM will be using this year will be very similar to the offense used in 1996 in the way that the TEs will be used. Favre had some of his best seasons with both Keith Jackson and Mark Chmura at TE. Vernon Davis is a freak that has an extremely rare combination of great size and speed. He will be a dominant TE. If we could have Davis, Franks, and Lee backing them up, we would have a good passing offense. The offense would suffer much less from the absence of Walker with Vernon Davis at one of the TE spots and possibly lining up against a corner every now and then like Antonio Gates does.

I agree that it appears that we need a LB much more than we need a TE, but Vernon Davis is a rare prospect that has all of the tools to become an elite NFL TE and could help the offense tremendously. The draft is deep with good LBs, so there will be some great prospects available in the top of the 2nd round.

A.J. Hawk is awesome, but we could have an elite TE and still get a great LB later in the draft.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In his workout at the combine, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.38 seconds, which is believed to be the fastest ever by a tight end at the combine and tied for fifth among wide receivers this year. His 42-inch vertical jump was best among tight ends and tied for best among receivers with Miami’s 5-8 and 185-pound Sinorice Moss. His 10-8 broad jump was best among tight ends and tied for best among receivers. And his 33 bench-press repetitions at 225 pounds was best among tight ends and tied for third among offensive linemen.

I wouldn't mind taking the guy at all if we could get a deal to trade Franks or Lee for a second day pick.

To get the most out of Davis, an offense would line him up not only at tight end but also split him out to receiver, and either way he puts defenses in a bind: should they deploy a base defense or nickel defense?

If they play nickel, their run defense weakens with only two linebackers and an extra defensive back. And if they play base, Davis is so much more athletic than any linebacker that he’s like having an extra receiver on the field.

And regardless, if Davis is covered by a defensive back, he not only has a huge size advantage, but he’s faster than most defensive backs. And he’s not only much faster than linebackers, but he’s at least as big if not bigger than most as well.

“Defenses pull their hair out trying to find a way to not have a bad matchup with somebody like that,â€

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not expecting a Vernon Davis pick, but I won't be dissapointed if we do pick him.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no reason we need Davis I like the kid and I think he can be good, but we should take Aj Hawk sure there may be some other good LB's in the 2nd rnd but Aj Hawk would probably have a bigger impact then them and then in the 2nd round there should be some first rounders falling into our laps

ldlehrer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think the Packers best pick for the 5th pick in the draft is Mario Williams DE. Many NFL draft experts now think Mario Williams will be drafted before the 5th pick in the draft.
My second choice would be Vernon Davis. This is great athlete who could have an instant impact in the NFL for the Packers. He runs faster than most DBs. He is bigger, stronger, and faster than almost all LBs. He could be converted to RB in short yardage situations to pick up key short yardage 1st downs. An incrediable athlete like this gives the Packers many more options. He is a far better athlete than either Bubba Franks or Donald Lee. He played very well in a top level college conference in college. He is not just an athlete with great results at the NFL combine. He is a player. He appears to have a great work ethic and wishes to perform well in the NFL.
AJ Hawk is my 3rd choice. He seems to be positioned to be an All Pro LB. He would instantly upgrade the defense. AJ Hawk seems to be a very safe pick. I do not think he would have the instant impact of a Mario Williams or a Vernon Davis.
Do not be surprised if our GM trades the Packers 5th overall pick to a team like Denver or even San Fran for a bunch of extra 1st round, 2nd round, and third round picks. Denver has a 1st round pick with 2 2nds and 2 3rds. They are close to another Super Bowl team. A Vernon Davis would instantly improve a team that is already very good. Teddy could hold the 5th pick hostage to San Fran or Oakland to add to his draft pick total if he determines that San Fran or Oakland really desire someone the Packers might pick at 5 that they really want.
An instant impact player would be nice, but the Packers have many holes to fill on their whole team. I do support the Packers getting an instant impact player. Sterling Sharpe was a fun WR to follow during the Packers lean years just before the mid 1990s playoff run.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packersfan43084 said:
What do you guys think about us taking Vernon Davis with the #5 pick. The guy is a flat-out beast and will make an immediate impact wherever he goes. Plus it could mean Brett would come back. What say you?

A first round pick has the potential to influence its team (especially a #5 pick) for the next decade...even if Favre plays in 06, he won't be around much longer after that

If you base your first round pick, your highest selection in about 15 years, on accomodating a guy who might play one more season, you're approaching this all wrong

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you gotta tak him,

AJ hawk looks solid, but doesnt stand out that far from greenway or sims.

Vernon of course stands out above most recievers in the draft, i think you need to take someone like that... TE is obviously becoming a bigger part of the NFL, as evidenced by gates and gonzalez. huge upside to this guy and when you can have a player of that caliber and still get a great line backer in the second round you gotta do it. Not to mention im liking our LB corps right now. Sims/barnett/taylor doesnt sound that much worse than Hawk/barnett/taylor.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packersfan43084 said:

if lienart and hawk are gone, then i'd take davis

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I completely disagree. We have to get a LB with in the first 2 rounds. Though Hawk and Greenway may be close, Sims is a little behind. Sims may be a good fit in the right system but his size is going to hamper him

As a linebacker he just does not have the instincts, body structure, and strength to consistently fight through blockers, he has a hard time shedding them, and he is a liability as well against the run because of the above reasons.

Though similar in style Hawk is shiftier and changes direction slightly better than Greenway, IMO. Hawk also seems to play a more disciplined style than Greenway. Either one would not be bad but Hawk stands out over Greenway slightly, and Greenway won't be around at in the 2nd.

I like Davis but this is not a team that can draft to improve positions, it has to draft to fill positions. Lee and Franks are more than capable between the 2 of them. They don't get the credit they deserve because the system rarely used them outside of the red-zone. Davis is an incredible athlete with amazing talent but playing the TE also involves blocking which he needs to improve.

In no way do I even consider Vernon, If Williams and Hawk are somehow both gone I would consider trading down to get Greenway or one of the Corners.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You will know in 3-4 years. The NFL is a whole different beast than College football. Some adjust, some don't

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone says Davis is big and fast.

No one ever discusses his hands and if he can catch a ball.

No one brags of his blocking ability.

Nothing like having a first rounder sit on the bench while other needs go unmet!!

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You cannot base a top 5 pick on needs, you really have to go with the "best available" and largest potential long term impact.

Having said that, I would be all for a Davis selection. I see him and Williams and Bush having the highest ceilings and biggest immediate impact in the top five. Bush will be gone, and it is likely that Williams will be as well...Davis should be there and he should be the pick.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spardo62 said:
You cannot base a top 5 pick on needs, you really have to go with the "best available" and largest potential long term impact.

Having said that, I would be all for a Davis selection. I see him and Williams and Bush having the highest ceilings and biggest immediate impact in the top five. Bush will be gone, and it is likely that Williams will be as well...Davis should be there and he should be the pick.

Bravo!

Spardo, you should have also added highest value. I would draft Vince Young if it meant I got to fleece the Raiders out of their 2nd rounder with a trade. That would put all the pressure on San Francisco to choose between Hawk, Davis, and Huff. Out of those three guys, I'm good to go with any of them.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

So the real question is, draft for need or the best player available??

Franks and Lee are solid TEs and I'm glad we've got 2 good TEs. But these guys with Davis will make any QB look good. Davis has the ability to attract so much attention that the WRs and other TEs will be left with single coverage.

Walker was the guy to take pressure off the other WRs and now there's no guarentee he'll be back. Add Davis to the mix and we have that replacement treat for Walker.

I'd be happy with us selecting Hawk because he'll make a great impact on the defense. But I'd also be happy with a LB corps of Popinga/Barnett/Taylor. With the #5 pick, TT has a chance to select the player that will make the most impact for this team. IMO, go for the best player available.

GO PACK GO!!!

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
tromadz said:

So the real question is, draft for need or the best player available??

This came up on another thread...this draft will work out so that need and b.p.a. would interact...and i think picking aj hawk could satisfy both of those things. All the holes that this team didn't fill in free agency...we need some picks in the draft to step in.

Latest posts