1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

this is the official Driver thread

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by FrankRizzo, Apr 26, 2012.

1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,608 / 59 / -33
    Packer Fan Since:
    Curious as to what you knowledgable PackerBackers think is gonna happen with our beloved Donald.
    It seems Teddy & the organization might be ready to turn the old pages this off-season of these guys.

I know Clifton & Collins were health-related sadly, and that Donald is fine.
    But the team seemed like they were very intent on getting Tori Gurley, and perhaps Diondre Borel into the plans at WR as they kept the 2 from being signed off our practice squad last year by giving them more money to stay.

I know many people believe Gurley has a very bright future.

Ted always seems to favor the youth, be it Cullen Jenkins, Nick Barnett, whatever.
    Seeing the door closed on Clifton and Collins makes me very sad. Collins makes me cryy-sad.
    Donald will be even more tough to handle as he has 6 more years for us than Nick got.
    But I am trying to brace myself in case my worries come true here.....

Why didn't we just repeat and let Donald retire a la Elway, sailing off into the sunset with B2B titles!
  2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    I really believe Driver will re sign at some point before training camp...

He will then be given the chance to compete with the new WR on the roster...He still has skills, but will he be able to beat out some of the newer guys??

Packers will give him every chance to win a roster spot, it will be up to him to grab one.. I dont think they want to just release him...

FYI

WE HAD 4 THREADS ON DRIVER, SO I MERGED ALL....AND WHEN ALL WERE MERGES THE SYSTEM AUTOMATICALLY TAKES THE VERY 1ST POST AND USES THAT AS THE ORIGINAL POST
  3. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754 / 9 / -0
    Right now my hunch is Driver will be back.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113 / 5 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    I think if they were going to cut him they would have done so already. He is not a health issue...he is going to perhaps hurt the development of guys like Cobb, Gurley, etc...by taking up a roster spot. I don't mean that in a bad way as it relates to Driver, but the simple fact is that these guys aren't going to hang out on the practice squad again for another year, and Cobb needs to get in there and get more reps in the slot. These are the realities of managing an NFL roster.

If they think Driver can hang with the young guys still...they will keep him around. If they're doing it for sentimental reasons though, it's a mistake.
  5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,522 / 86 / -26
    I think I have said it a few times on here but I don't expect to see him this year in a packers uniform in the regular season.

They wouldn't cut him now as he hasn't been to GB yet since he has an excused absence.
  6. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +1,882 / 48 / -33
    Of course none of us know what the front office is thinking about the great dancer but IMO one thing is clear: Even if Driver does come back it makes no sense for him to do so at his current salary. Setting emotion aside, IMO it makes more sense to make room for the youngsters.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211 / 7 / -2
    I hope he sticks around. With that being said I think it is far from a lock for him to make the team this year. I think its impossible to replace his leadership, his knowledge of this offense, and his great character. But he has definitely hit the ceiling of his career and has been on the downward slope for a year or two. I guess it boils down to how much Gurley and Borel show during the off season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. News Bot

News Bot News Bot

Ratings:
    +41 / 3 / -2
    Source: ProFootballTalk.com
  9. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...y-if-donald-driver-has-a-future-in-green-bay/

10. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +175 / 2 / -0
    I think he is back this year but it will be his last year
  11. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +1,882 / 48 / -33
    I don't know of a single Packers fan who doesn't love Donald Driver. He has been a phenomenal Packer getting as much out of his potential as any player I have ever seen. From an emotional point of view I'd like to see him retire as a Packer whenever he wants to. But from a business point of view I think it's time for the Packers to move on even if DD takes a substantial pay cut. As almost all of us know, the Packers are deep at WR. I agree with those who believe Cobb will take over the #3 slot receiver spot and I think he has a realistic chance of having a breakout year. Since Finley is used as a quasi WR along with Jennings and Nelson that's as good a four-deep receiver corps as exists in the league IMO. If you count Finley as a WR, does any team have a better #5 WR than James Jones? Not only that but the Packers like Tori Gurley and Diondre Borel so much, last season they paid each of them extra to stay on the PS so they'd be available this season. They've added three UDFAs WRs, one of note is Dale Moss, who has the size and athleticism to perhaps take a spot on the PS this season and work his way up the roster ladder. The Packers are ridiculously deep at WR and Ted Thompson excels at drafting them as well.

Aside from emotion one reason I've heard/seen for keeping DD is his leadership in the locker room. While that is a legitimate point, I don't think the Packers lack player leadership in the locker room and the more diminished DD's impact on the field the less relevant his leadership IMO. (Although I'm obviously an outsider, I believe Charles Woodson's leadership is much more important than DD's.) The other point is DD outperformed every other WR in the playoff loss. That too is legit but NFL football is a numbers game and DD is 37 years old. He's 9 years older than the next oldest WR. There are 4 receivers ahead of him on the depth chart, including Finley. I think Ted Thompson believes it's preferable to waive goodbye to players one year early rather than one year late. I'm certain he believes the NFL is a young man's game. Even if DD can squeeze another season out of his aging body, there's another important number in this equation: There's only 1 ball. The youngsters need reps in practice and time waits for no one. I know it sounds cold and heartless but Thompson says it's a "big boys" game and I think it's time for the great Donald Driver to make room for the future. I'm not predicting it'll happen, just sadly advocating for it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +819 / 8 / -4
    Packer Fan Since:
    I know it has to happen eventually,... and as much as I try to avoid the truth, I think you spoke it as plainly as it is!
    No watering it down, it is what it is.
    I'll just be grateful that we had him this entire time!
    I<3DD :inlove:
    I do know one thing for sure..if he signs with any other team, i'll watch him as a member of what ever team, but I will not jump ship and become a jersey-wearing-Packer-hating-fan of what ever team that may be!
  13. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    I believer Driver would be 100% comfortable in being the last guy on the depth chart
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422 / 16 / -4
    With the amount of receivers we just signed as UDFA's. I think it might happening sooner than you think
  15. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652 / 39 / -2
    I disagree. Driver has never struck me as the kind of guy who wants to just sit on the pine and collect a check. His work ethic goes against that very idea. I'm sure as much as he'd like to retire a Packer, he'd rather be producing on a team like Miami.
  16. armand34

armand34 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +265 / 2 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    I'm dreading, but expecting the news of DD being released...its gonna really piss me off, but father time is undefeated...that's life

sent from my rooted evo4g
  17. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    Not saying he will just sit on the pine..Saying he will have a spot to compete and I think as long as he has that he will be fine.

Didnt clarify that
  18. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652 / 39 / -2
    Okay. Yeah, he'll be given a chance to compete for a spot, but it looks like Borel and Gurley are going to be given every opportunity to unseat him.
  19. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +175 / 2 / -0
    DD caught 37 passes last year which was his lowest total since 2001 and he seemed fine with it. I think he is one of the few athletes that has a self-realization about themselves and realizes his time has passed. I think if we release him he would probably hang it up but I honestly hope he sticks around for just 1 more year for the locker room presence. You can't draft the chemistry and leadership he brings.
  20. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +175 / 2 / -0
    I know this thread is about DD but talking about him always makes me think of our other WR's and we are literally so blessed to have Jennings and Jordy on this team. Jennings STILL refers to DD as the #1 receiver and is incredibly humble and Jordy never gets irritated about not being thrown the ball more. We really are so fortunate to not only have them but our entire team which is a team full of guys who just want to win and do it the right way.

I could go without Hawk though

[​IMG]
  21. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,522 / 86 / -26
    I have been surprised to see well respected reporters mention him as a possibility for their team.
  22. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +925 / 16 / -9
    Donald Driver is under contract. I can't believe that the media feels a need to bring this up now. He'll be in camp and if he can't cut it or is beat out, he'll be waived. Of course Thompson and McCarthy aren't going to speculate...they're assuming he'll be there...he's under contract.
  23. Poppa San

Poppa San Pray daily and take the plunge for Eli Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +857 / 29 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    I think DD has danced his last dance as a Packer. I do hope the team gives him the option of retiring when the time comes.
  24. mcoomer146

mcoomer146 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    DD is an icon in GB. Hopefully they will keep him so he can retire a Packer.
  25. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +377 / 29 / -5
    Packer Fan Since:
    Didn't know it until draft day but DD was a 7th round draft pick. Years ago when DD was talking to a reporter he mentioned that when he was drafted he knew he was going to be trying to take a veterans spot. He then mentioned he knew that one day some young gun would be trying to take his spot on the roster. We all hate to see that day arrive as DD seems to be one the most genuine guys on the team. I'd really HATE to see DD play for another team. If he does make the team I believe it will be his last. We win the SB I'd hope DD would retire & go out on top