The first big news for our offseason will be in March.

JTheGreat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know when Free agency begins, but aside from free agency the biggest news for our upcoming season will be in March. It will be whether or not Nick Collins can suit up ever again. Hes such a great player and it will be very sad if he cant. He definitely was one of our best players on defense last year, and he controls the secondary. Hes coming from a standpoint where he loves football, but he knows if he maybe takes a wrong shot there again he could be paralyzed. Would be pretty neat if he could join our coaching staff if not able to play. He was one of my favorite players to watch.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, on all points. He's an outstanding player. I am optimistic, confident even, that he will play again. These neck fusion procedures have gotten so sophisticated, and doctors have gotten so good. It's not unrealistic to expect that he will heal up good as new. No guarantee, of course. But, like I said, I like his chances.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't make predictions on this one because neck situations can be so complicated. I hope that he's able to play for us, but would rather see him take the safe route if there were a legitimate chance of reinjury or further injury.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same. Both had fusions. Peyton has been dealing with complications stemming from the surgery from day one. Collins has been, by all accounts I've heard, problem free.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone on Cheesehead TV mentioned that this is the same surgery that Steve Slaton and Kelvin Hayden had, and both of them were able to resume their playing careers.

Manning's issue isn't from his neck fusion, but from nerve re-generation. PFT had an excellent article on the subject saying that while Manning has supposedly been "Cleared to play," he's not really clear to play. Essentially the statement was more playing games with Jim Irsay than anything else.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why were the Bears able to say that Johnny Knox would make a full recovery and be back for training camp at 1oo percent? He had a vertebrae fusion procedure as well, not the same location, but still a fusion.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had a neck fusion of c 3-4,5-6 and although I am 20 years older that Collins, I can tell you that I was NEVER the same...and that was 7 years ago. But then again, I am not ramming my head into 250 lb tight ends either doing 25 mph...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/sports/collins-says-he-plans-to-play-again

Packers safety Nick Collins, who suffered a neck injury during the second game of the 2011 season, says he feels he is healing well, and plans to be back on the field for the Packers next season.

Talking to Bill Michaels on the syndicated "The Bill Michaels Show," Collins said though he won’t get actual medical clearance until March, he expects to be able to play.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great news! Hopefully with Collins back and young players like Tramon, Morgan Burnett, Davon House,
Sam Shields, etc. having another year of experience it will make a huge difference in our secondary.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This (said tentatively) sounds like good news! I hope for only the best for Collins but if this means life without football; then so be it. His future health is more important than playing another down of football for the Packers.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I missed Nick this season! So glad to hear that he is feeling well, and HOPEFULLY he gets officially cleared to play!

Latest posts