Rumors The Pack could trade the 5th pick to Broncos

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have been rumors that if mario williams isnt around for the 5th pick for the packers that they could possibly trade the 5th pick to the broncos for there 15th pick and there 22th pick in the first round and there is a website that shows the values of draft picks http://www.profootballtalk.com/drafttradechart.htm
and the packers 1st pick is worth 1700 and the broncos 15th pick is worth 1050 and there 22nd pick is worth 780 so total the pakers pick is worth 1700 and both of the broncos is worth 1830 and that would be better to get 2 first round picks instead of 1 even if they have to give up the 5th pick and possible a 4th or 5th rounder

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but the pack could get 2 first round picks instead of one and probably fill 2 of there needs instead of one just because there a highly rated player doesnt mean they cant be a bust i like mario williams and aj hawk but i also think that 2 first round picks would be nice

mrhustle11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i like the idea but the one thing that scares me is the bears did this in 2003 when i believe they traded the 4th overall pick to the jets for the 14th and 22nd. they drafted michael haynes and rex grossman. haynes sucks and grossman has been hurt every year. the only thing is i believe this years draft is pretty deep and i think that TT can get some steals.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the best players dont always come from the first round for example Tom Brady was drafted in the 6 round of the 2000 nfl draft and he is a star and Mark Tauscher drafted in the 7th round and Dont forget Donald "Duke in the" Driver also drafted in the 7th round Aaron Kampman in the 5th round my point is yes you get stars from the high first round picks but you can also find just as many stars in the later rounds and theres still always the chance of getting a bust

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
I would make that deal in a second. Sure, you're missing out on either Williams or Hawk, but your getting 2 top notch caliber players in return.

If that were the case, we could still grab a LB like Greenway, Sims, or Carpenter and also have another pick for a WR like Jackson or Holmes.

That makes Walker expendable for extra picks.

Just having 3 picks in the top 36 gives us plenty of options. Too good to pass up in my opinion.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Mario Williams and Aj Hawk but i personally think it would be the best thing to trade the 5th pick in the first round down for the 15th and 22nd it just seems like it would make more sense to just 2 players instead of one it isnt like there is no one good left with the 15th and 22nd pick for example even though he is being a baby we got Javon Walker in the first round with the 20th overall pick and Nick Barnett the next year with the 29th overall pick and they have both helped us out a lot you dont even have to be drafted in the first round to become a star gado came from basically no where and already is a star Donald Driver 7th round pick same with Mark Tauscher and Tom Brady a 6th round pick who has only led the patroits to 3 super bowl wins

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NO don't do this. This is the first year in many years the Pack have had a top 10, let alone top 5. Top 5 players are usual creme of the crop. Your chance of having a great player in the top 5 is far greater than even mid to late 1st round. Unless Hawk, Mario, and there is nobody we need that is good (yeah right) than do it.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should keep that high pick. Jerry Angelo traded down in 2003 from the # 4 pick for two #1 picks and drafted Micheal Haynes and Rex Grossman for the Bears.
Haynes is ok but can not break into the starting line up and Grossman is still nothing more than a big question mark at this point.
They passed up a chance at a better QB in Byron Leftwich and a better DL in Terrell Suggs.
I would have rather seen the one potentally great player taken than two lesser ones.
Sometimes quality is better than quantity.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:
I like Mario Williams and Aj Hawk but i personally think it would be the best thing to trade the 5th pick in the first round down for the 15th and 22nd it just seems like it would make more sense to just 2 players instead of one it isnt like there is no one good left with the 15th and 22nd pick for example even though he is being a baby we got Javon Walker in the first round with the 20th overall pick and Nick Barnett the next year with the 29th overall pick and they have both helped us out a lot you dont even have to be drafted in the first round to become a star gado came from basically no where and already is a star Donald Driver 7th round pick same with Mark Tauscher and Tom Brady a 6th round pick who has only led the patroits to 3 super bowl wins

No disrespect here Packerlegend and I will probably get bashed for this; however, could you please use some punctuation when you're posting? It makes it MUCH easier to read. Thanks.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's true, the first round is full of good players, and this year is a pretty deep draft. But a top 5 pick (hopefully!) won't be awarded to the Pack for a VERY long time, and i think that Hawk and Williams are very special players and we'd be lucky to have either. and i believe that among the other top draft prospects, these two have a relatively low bust-factor.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has been said by many that his is a very deep draft, and that excellent players will be available all throughout. One GM said something to the effect that he would like a bunch of picks 30 - 90 instead of first round.

I have no problem staying at 5, but if we move down, you have to also know there will be some excellent players to be had..it is just a matter of selecting the right ones.

vbpackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading the #5 overall pick would be a BONEHEAD move!
I believe AJ Hawk is the player we need. We need a team leader on the defensive side of our game. I realize he would be a rookie LB, he would be the type of player that establishes himself early on as thge type of player that leads by example. I am VERY sold on AJ Hawk. Profootballtalk.com wrote this about Hawk;
" This kid was born to be a Packer"
Go Packers

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:-? While trading down has some advantages, I do think GB has an opportunity at 5 that if they are successful this season to any degree; they will not see again for many years. You can add up points and it looks good, but that doesn't mean crap. What are the needs GB has that could be filled with maybe players? There are no outstanding WR's of size and we sure as hell don't need Young, so why bother. Stick with the quality pick.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twisted: Another aspect of the listed trade is that trading with Denver is a bad idea. Shanahan has always been capable of outsmarting whomever he deals with. Don't strengthen Denver's hand.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackwillBEback said:
NO don't do this. This is the first year in many years the Pack have had a top 10, let alone top 5. Top 5 players are usual creme of the crop. Your chance of having a great player in the top 5 is far greater than even mid to late 1st round. Unless Hawk, Mario, and there is nobody we need that is good (yeah right) than do it.

In the event of Mario Williams there, we draft him

If not...all hell could potentially break loose--I like the idea of the Broncos having the 15th pick now instead of 22 and 29, this makes it a reasonable deal now...

5th pick (if Williams is off the board)...AJ Hawk (who says we're not taking a look at Micheal Huff either?)

IF we do the trade I go for...
15)DE Tamba Hali
22)OLB Bobby Carpenter

those are the best picks given our position, but I think Williams/Hawk/Huff is the best value...Hali is another Kampman, weighing in at around 270, is a hard worker, will be solid in the pro's, but doesn't have the upside that the #5 pick offers...Bobby Carpenter is solid, but not quite AJ Hawk...

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:
the best players dont always come from the first round for example Tom Brady was drafted in the 6 round of the 2000 nfl draft and he is a star and Mark Tauscher drafted in the 7th round and Dont forget Donald "Duke in the" Driver also drafted in the 7th round Aaron Kampman in the 5th round my point is yes you get stars from the high first round picks but you can also find just as many stars in the later rounds and theres still always the chance of getting a bust

The draft is one big gamble and good gambling is all about playing the percentages. It is far more likely that a top player will come out of the top 10 of a draft compared to rounds 4-7.

With the #5 pick we have a chance to get a real difference maker for years to come. That has a lot more value than a JAG (just another guy).

Most focus their attention on Williams and Hawk, but we might be best off picking Huff who's almost guarenteed to be available. His 40-time was 4.34s, impressive for anyone and extremely impressive for a safety. Of course his value in GB would depend on whether we get Woodson, but it should be very difficult to pass on such a player.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Denver would move up for Vernon Davis. They need a TE and Davis is probably the best TE prospect ever.

This would allow Green Bay to land to potential quality players but at pick #5 you can land a instant impact player.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
This would allow Green Bay to land to potential quality players but at pick #5 you can land a instant impact player.

We've been beefing up with quality players already...Ryan Pickett solidifies the middle of our d-line with Colin Cole (and a year of experience under his belt), Kampman is a blue-collar guy who just finds the way to get things done. Barnett is paired with Ben Taylor (and Robert Thomas for the time being)--I think Ben Taylor is more of a contributor than Diggs was, especially against the run. Marquand Manuel added to play safety--Marc Roman finally grants our wishes by wanting out. Nick Collins had a stellar rookie year and enters a second season.

My point is, our defense is solid, full of quality players...but either Mario Williams or AJ Hawk will be an immediate impact player. Game-changers, if you will...This is a team last year that gave up game-killing drives many times, lost a lot of close games...if we get one of these two (or three, Huff) difference makers on our team...Our defense is going to open some eyes

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mark Roman had a good year last season (read: BETTER than Nick Collins), so I don't know exactly what all this is about wanting him out of GB.

The d-line is good enough to not spend the 5th pick on another DE or I'd go with Hawk, which just so happens to be the second most needed upgrade to the team (interior line).

And which punt is your sig talking about?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason I like Hawk is not only can he come in and make an impact right away he has natural leadership ability that we need on "D".

That dimension is what puts him equal to Williams IMO. Williams impact on the field could very well be more dynamic but Hawk's ability to bring the "D" together as a unit would be invaluable.

Trading down seems to be TT's way of doing buisness and I think it would have been more of a possibility if he had gotten a little better deal on the comp picks. I think we ended up with a 5th and a 7th.

Getting the 15th, 22nd, and our 2nd round 37th would not be bad though. That's three players right there that should contribute greatly (and early).

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we could make a trade where we packed away:

Walker, 1st round pick, 5th round pick

and got:

Both Broncos 1st round picks and one or two of their 4th round picks.

We could draft Bobby Carpenter and Derek Hagan, Maurice Stovall or Chad Jackson.

Members online

Latest posts