Roster predictions

D

Deleted member 6794

Nope. But unfortunately it looks like the offensive line will be.

The Packers have one of the best starting offensive lines in the league, especially in pass protection. Unfortunately it seems the unit lacks quality depth.

I put Davis because Madison's situation is up in the air.

Traditionally we've always carried 3 ILBs, so with Ryan out Martini takes the spot.

If Rollins can keep being effective at returning kicks, and be a decent 5th or 6th DB, I like him to stay on the team. Nobody really has distinguished themselves as better.

I'd like to kick the tires one more time on Odom, and Hughes I like as an athlete. Light I like just for depth purposes.

It seems like Pankey and Day have moved up the depth chart during camp, therefore I would be surprised if Davis and Light make the roster instead of them.

It's all but guaranteed the Packers will keep at least three inside linebackers but in my opinion Ahmad Thomas has performed at a better level than Martini.

I prefer the team to keep Davis as a punt returner instead of Rollins with both not being able to contribute other than that.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like Pankey and Day have moved up the depth chart during camp, therefore I would be surprised if Davis and Light make the roster instead of them.

You know what I just realized I had them confused. I meant Day instead of Davis.

It seemed like Light got more time in the game against Pittsburgh than Pankey, or maybe I just didn't notice him. But depending on what MM was looking for/trying to do, that could mean various things.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow just saw Tre Boston only signed for 1.5 million. I would of thought gute would of taken a chance on him for that. He's definitely better than kentrell Brice. From what I've been hearing both Brice and dix have been terrible in the pre season and it seems neither is capable of playing the single high playmaker role that pettines defenses have featured in the past. I say who cares that the owners have black listed Eric Reid, the Packers don't have an owner so just sign him and significantly improve the defense immediately while also positioning themselves better for Clinton Dix's pending free agency

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
One always has to ask why he is available.

He was set to count $6.2 million against the salary cap this season. The Bengals will save $5.6 million against the cap with the move because Iloka was released after June 1. They like Rookie Jessie Bates, who was a 2nd round pick. Cheaper option.

At a $1-2M contract, I think Iloka would shore up the Safety position, especially since he plays both Safety positions. Also, at 28, if he works out, more insurance over Ha Ha and Jones.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He sounds nice and good price :) I'm not high on Haha at all. Last game he put forth as much effort as he did in the last game against the Lions last year. It's not a good look, even if it is preseason. Practice like you play kid.

Jones had the look of a playmaker, and it can take some time to put it all together, so not ready to give up on him yet. Though he sounds like he's having a tougher time with things

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They may keep Hundley until Jones comes back

Why? Hundley would be considered 3rd string in that case, not worth dumping someone else just to keep Hundley for a few weeks or even as a 3rd string guy, unless they are holding him the whole year. If someone goes on IR after the first 2 games, you have your roster spot for Jones.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why? Hundley would be considered 3rd string in that case, not worth dumping someone else just to keep Hundley for a few weeks or even as a 3rd string guy, unless they are holding him the whole year. If someone goes on IR after the first 2 games, you have your roster spot for Jones.

And if no one gets hurt, you can try to sneak a P.S. eligible player down off of the active roster. Sometimes you have better luck with that a couple weeks in than at final cuts. Teams have settled in to their rosters and aren't as eagerly looking to make changes.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And if no one gets hurt, you can try to sneak a P.S. eligible player down off of the active roster. Sometimes you have better luck with that a couple weeks in than at final cuts. Teams have settled in to their rosters and aren't as eagerly looking to make changes.

I actually always have wondered about whether its easier to get a guy safely onto the PS during the huge league cut down or a few weeks later. Logic would seem to be to do it during the time when all teams are making tough decisions on guys and really aren't probably wanting to scout the other teams cuts, making hard enough decisions by subtracting not adding. Whereas if you wait 2 weeks and release say Kumerow in the hopes to land him on your PS, it might be the only transaction on the wires that day and teams will not only see it, but with new injuries or regrets on guys they kept, be more apt to grab him. Obviously, a PS guy can be snapped up at anytime, but I think once he is at least on your teams PS, you can persuade him to stay by offering him more money.

Once again, I really hope some day they expand the rosters to 60 or at least allow more protection at getting them to and keeping guys on your PS. This is no longer the sport where guys are playing right after they "got their bell rung" and more and more precautionary methods of trying not to play injured guys are happening, the roster size needs to reflect this.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
QB: Rodgers, Kizer (2)
RB: Williams, Montgomery, Jones (3) —> One of the two new guys or Mayes will be the #3 while Jones is suspended
TE: Graham, Lewis, Kendricks (3)
WR: Adams, Cobb, Kumerow, Allison, MVL, St. Brown (6)
OL: Bahkitari, Taylor, Linsley, McCray, Bulaga, Spriggs, Murphy, Bell, Davis (9)
FB: Ripkowski (1)
(24)

DE: Wilkerson, Lowry, Looney (3)
NT: Clark (1)
DT: Daniels, Adams (2)
OLB:CM3, Perry, Frackrell, Biegel, Gilbert, Odom, Donnerson (7)
MLB: Martinez, Burks, Martini (3)
CB: Williams, King, Alexander, Jackson, House, Rollins (6)
S: Haha, Brice, Josh Jones, Marwin Evans (4)
(26)

K: Mason Crosby
P: JK Scott
LS: Hunter Bradley
(3)

Practice Squad:
Tim Boyle, Robert Tyonyan, Alex Light, Komi Almichia, Adonis Jennings, Devante Mays, Joey Mbu, Lenzy Pipkins, Donatello Brown

Notable Cuts: Trevor Davis, Demetri Goodson, Brett Hundley

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, I really hope some day they expand the rosters to 60 or at least allow more protection at getting them to and keeping guys on your PS. This is no longer the sport where guys are playing right after they "got their bell rung" and more and more precautionary methods of trying not to play injured guys are happening, the roster size needs to reflect this.

I agree wholeheartedly, 53 I always thought was an odd number. Why not 55? A quick google search says up to 57 has been proposed for several years.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I actually always have wondered about whether its easier to get a guy safely onto the PS during the huge league cut down or a few weeks later. Logic would seem to be to do it during the time when all teams are making tough decisions on guys and really aren't probably wanting to scout the other teams cuts, making hard enough decisions by subtracting not adding. Whereas if you wait 2 weeks and release say Kumerow in the hopes to land him on your PS, it might be the only transaction on the wires that day and teams will not only see it, but with new injuries or regrets on guys they kept, be more apt to grab him. Obviously, a PS guy can be snapped up at anytime, but I think once he is at least on your teams PS, you can persuade him to stay by offering him more money.

I have no data. I've just always heard that you have a better chance after the season has started. Maybe that's just a cliche that floats around?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have no data. I've just always heard that you have a better chance after the season has started. Maybe that's just a cliche that floats around?
Nor do I have any data, but I have always been curious as to if there is a school of thought behind it. Obviously if you release Josh Sitton on final cuts, a team is going to notice it, as they would after week 2. But a no name late round or free agent released, I would think makes it to the PS easier when there are 300 names similar to theirs being released that same day. 2 weeks later, he may be the only transaction that day and someone in Cleveland says "who is the EQ Brown and should we snatch him up?"

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Nor do I have any data, but I have always been curious as to if there is a school of thought behind it. Obviously if you release Josh Sitton on final cuts, a team is going to notice it, as they would after week 2. But a no name late round or free agent released, I would think makes it to the PS easier when there are 300 names similar to theirs being released that same day. 2 weeks later, he may be the only transaction that day and someone in Cleveland says "who is the EQ Brown and should we snatch him up?"

I guess the counter logic is that once a team is a couple weeks into the season and feels good about their guys knowing playbooks and having comfortable roles on ST, they aren’t looking to make changes as easily. And while there is a huge glut of guys hitting waivers at once, teams have done their research and they know what cut candidates they’re interested in beforehand.

It may end up being moot, however. They may choose to carry an extra back while Jones is out just because of Williams’ ankle.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess the counter logic is that once a team is a couple weeks into the season and feels good about their guys knowing playbooks and having comfortable roles on ST, they aren’t looking to make changes as easily. And while there is a huge glut of guys hitting waivers at once, teams have done their research and they know what cut candidates they’re interested in beforehand.

It may end up being moot, however. They may choose to carry an extra back while Jones is out just because of Williams’ ankle.

Yup, injuries can change a lot of things. Could be the case after week 2 when a team has had players go down and are looking for replacements, Packers activate Jones, cut a guy they hope to get to the PS and **** he is scooped up by a team in need. Safety in numbers. I personally would rather see guys slid over to the PS during the big cut down, but my logic could be flawed.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yup, injuries can change a lot of things. Could be the case after week 2 when a team has had players go down and are looking for replacements, Packers activate Jones, cut a guy they hope to get to the PS and **** he is scooped up by a team in need. Safety in numbers. I personally would rather see guys slid over to the PS during the big cut down, but my logic could be flawed.

Your guess is as good as mine. In all likelihood, there isn't a big difference. If a guy can really play, he's probably getting claimed.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I feel pretty good about the following:

QB: Rodgers, Kizer (2)
RB: Jones, Williams, Montgomery, Ripkowski (4)
TE: Graham, Lewis (2)
WR: Adams, Cobb, Allison, Kumerow, St. Brown, Valdes-Scantling, Moore (7)
OT: Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Murphy, Spriggs (4)
OG: Taylor, McCray, Patrick (3)
OC: Linsley (1)
DL: Daniels, Clark, Wilkerson, Lowry, Adams (5)
ED: Perry, Matthews, Gilbert, Fackrell (4)
ILB: Martinez, Burks (2)
CB: King, Williams, Alexander, Jackson, House (5)
S: Clinton-Dix, Brice, Whitehead, Jones (4)
ST: Crosby, Scott, Bradley (3)

So that's 46 and, given Jones' suspension, the magic number is 54. That leaves 8 spots. The following are all guys I would like for them to be able to keep:
  1. B. Hundley, QB
  2. L. Kendricks, TE
  3. R. Tonyan, TE
  4. T. Davis, WR
  5. A. Pankey, OL
  6. D. Day, OC
  7. T. Lancaster, NT
  8. V. Biegel, ED
  9. K. Donnerson, ED
  10. A. Thomas, ILB
  11. G. Martini, ILB
  12. L. Pipkins, CB
  13. M. Evans, S
So basically 5 guys that I want them to keep will have to go.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think one will for sure be a 5th edge rusher. Maybe over a 6th DL?

one player on your list, Trevor Davis.....if he is kept, no way do they keep 8 WR's and with Graham, I am not so sure that they will keep 7. So at least one of the 3 rookies is cut in that situation. I noticed Rollins isn't anywhere in sight. He may be kept to replace Davis on return duties.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
one player on your list, Trevor Davis.....if he is kept, no way do they keep 8 WR's and with Graham, I am not so sure that they will keep 7. So at least one of the 3 rookies is cut in that situation. I noticed Rollins isn't anywhere in sight. He may be kept to replace Davis on return duties.

Rollins just sucks so hard though. And he isn’t near as good in the PR game as Davis.

I realize that Davis is probably crowded out, but I thought he was on the verge of becoming a consistent ST weapon last year and that would be a nice luxury.

Maybe Jackson can stick as a PR guy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe Jackson can stick as a PR guy.

Personally, I would love to see Jackson as our PR. I know people are nervous about putting anyone back there due to exposure for injuries, but how many times have our CB's been hurt playing CB VS our return guys getting hurt returning? Jackson is a 1000% lock to make the team, how much playing time he gets on defense will vary......use his skills as the punt returner and save the roster spots by cutting both Rollins and Davis.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Personally, I would love to see Jackson as our PR. I know people are nervous about putting anyone back there due to exposure for injuries, but how many times have our CB's been hurt playing CB VS our return guys getting hurt returning? Jackson is a 1000% lock to make the team, how much playing time he gets on defense will vary......use his skills as the punt returner and save the roster spots by cutting both Rollins and Davis.

If King is healthy for week one, I would guess Jackson starts the season as a backup. I'm fine with him returning if he can do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts