Roster predictions

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
"Not to stir the political debate pot"...... Proceeds to post a video of a Democrat trying to earn political points by trying to stir the political debate pot by ignoring or dismissing why people dislike the protesting

For the record I'm fine with bringing Reid in but it isnt happening with the lawsuit and Kaep is a just a plain ******

Actually, if you listened closely to the first part of his answer to the question, he did nothing of the sort.....ignoring or dismissing those who dislike the protesting, he actually fully acknowledge both sides of the debate and called them both equally as patriotic as the other. "Reasonable people can disagree on this and it doesn't make either side any less of an American".

But since YOU think Reid would benefit the Packers, even though you totally disagree with what he is doing.....you are fine to bring him in? Makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yeah reporters are and that's why they're reporters and not scouts. Coincidentally right after I read your post I was listening to the radio and guess what they were talking about haha. A comment by gute that your draft status will not be taken into account when it's time to make cuts. The reporters were speculating this comment was specifically targeted at jmon. To me it's very similar to the let's cut davantae Adams crowd a few years ago. His talent was plain as day for everyone to see. Yet because he was struggling with drops and a bad ankle Reporters and fans were talking up his release while I highly highly doubt anyone inside the organization ever gave that even so much as a thought

This is true— reporters are not scouts. Scintillating. But a little rich seeing as how we are on an NFL fan forum.

The team cut a 5th round rookie a year ago and put him on the practice squad. The notion that they might try that with a 4th rounder isn’t outlandish.

I see his talent. I liked him at Missouri. I think he can be good. But it bears mentioning when his drop issue is so bad and persistent that it’s drawing speculation that he could be cut. That’s notable.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, if you listened closely to the first part of his answer to the question, he did nothing of the sort.....ignoring or dismissing those who dislike the protesting, he actually fully acknowledge both sides of the debate and called them both equally as patriotic as the other. "Reasonable people can disagree on this and it doesn't make either side any less of an American".

But since YOU think Reid would benefit the Packers, even though you totally disagree with what he is doing.....you are fine to bring him in? Makes a lot of sense.

Actually I'm ok with bringing in Reid cause he has pretty much kept his mouth shut and hasn't made it a point to stir up controversy left and right. Kaep on the other hand has his GF calling owners white supremacists and wearing Castro shirts when a team brings him in. Theres a pretty clear distinction between the two

I'm actually ok with the players protesting btw. I'm also ok with a team choosing not to sign a guy because they dont want to deal with it. Either way its personal choice

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That's their job. Speculating. When they are not quoting. Show me a quote from McCarthy saying Moore is on the bubble and I'll Listen.

I brought up a piece of August speculation that I find notable. I don’t particularly care if you listen.

H

HardRightEdge

I brought up a piece of August speculation that I find notable. I don’t particularly care if you listen.
I don't particularly care that you don't particularly care if I listen. I'll speculate that if they keep Davis, St. Brown is the odd man out, and I don't particularly care if you agree.

D

Deleted member 6794

Moore will be on the 53 man roster, and not just because of some kind of default for a 4th. rounder. When a receiver wins in the route this often, you keep him and work on the rest.

Moore has had issues with drops in college as well though. While it's true that he excels at getting open that doesn't mean anything if he can't catch the ball. Hopefull the Packers find a way for him to improve in that area over the next two games making it a moot point when talking about his chances of ending up on the final roster.

If both Moore and Madison end up being wasted picks right out of the gate, rocky start to Gutes first draft class.

It's way too early to make any evaluation of this year's rookie class. Hard to blame Gutekunst for a player not reporting for personal reasons.

Show me a quote from McCarthy saying Moore is on the bubble and I'll listen.

Following that logic the Packers will end up not cutting anyone.

H

HardRightEdge

Moore has had issues with drops in college as well though. While it's true that he excels at getting open that doesn't mean anything if he can't catch the ball. Hopefull the Packers find a way for him to improve in that area over the next two games making it a moot point when talking about his chances of ending up on the final roster
I've read the reports: 10 drops as a junior, 7 as a senior. Evidently, college target counts are hard to find. I can't find them. In Moore's case I'd reckon they were 100+. While a roughly 7% senior year drop rate is not a good number the Packers would not have been oblivious to it and drafted him anyway.

Moore would need to have historically bad drops, not just ordinarily bad, in the last 2 preseason games for him to be considered for the cut list.

Over the past two seasons, according to one source, Allison has had 5 drops on 61 targets. Last season it was 4 drops on 39 targets for a 10.3% drop rate with a 46.2 QB rating when targetted:

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/geronimo-allison/#!#current-year

That's a pretty low bar.

James Jones had a couple of bad drop seasons as he was becoming an established player: 6 drops on 63 targets in 2009; 6 drops on 87 targets in 2010, with several wide open deep balls included in those numbers. Finley was dubbed "paddlehands" in these pages among other unfriendly monikers. Adams had 6 drops on 94 targets in 2015 according to sportingcharts.com, comparable to what we might guess was Moore's roughly 7% senior drop rate, and beat reporters and fans alike were putting him on the bust/cut list, an opinion I rejected at the time.

You'd think nobody saw the college tape where Moore makes tough catches. Or that he's getting more throws than the other guys on the basis of winning routes. Or that on 15 thrown balls defenders have found it necessary to interfere on 3, maybe 4, occasions, called or not called. His route running is much better than I expected at this early stage. He has the Rodgers endorsement. The QB has opined that one big play and he'll be off and running. He might as well have said to Moore and fans alike, "relax".

Moore is not going anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Imo, Moore is far more likely to make the roster than guys like St. Brown, Pipkins, Donnerson, Whitehead and Kendricks.

At this time I’m not sure how things are looking in terms of OL. We’ve seen between 7-9 kept. I’d guess 8 because I’m not seeing that swiss army knife guy like Don Barclay was at one time.

I expect to see only 4 RB’s to start the season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've read the reports: 10 drops as a junior, 7 as a senior. Evidently, college target counts are hard to find. I can't find them. In Moore's case I'd reckon they were 100+. While a roughly 7% senior year drop rate is not a good number the Packers would not have been oblivious to it and drafted him anyway.

Moore would need to have historically bad drops, not just ordinarily bad, in the last 2 preseason games for him to be considered for the cut list.

James Jones had a couple of bad drop seasons as he was becoming an established player: 6 drops on 63 targets in 2009; 6 drops on 87 targets in 2010, and several wide open deep balls included in those numbers. Finley was dubbed "paddlehands" in these pages among other unfriendly monikers. Adams had 6 drops on 94 targets in 2015 according to sportingcharts.com, comparable to what we might guess was Moore's roughly 7% senior drop rate, and beat reporters and fans alike were putting him on the bust/cut list, an opinion I rejected at the time.

You'd think nobody saw the college tape where he makes tough catches. Or that he's getting more targets than the other guys on the basis of winning routes. Or that on 15 thrown balls defenders have found it necessary to interfere on 3, maybe 4, occasions, called or not called. He has the Rodgers endorsement. The QB has opined that one big play and he'll be off and running.

He's not going anywhere.

Agreed. This is the opposite of a guy that needs to hone a lot of skills to make up for his other physical or mental shortcomings. We see those guys have great preseasons against inferior opponents and they are the declared the second coming of Donald Driver. Drops don't scare me as much as guys with bad work ethics, physically limited guys or just players who can't learn the fundamentals. Besides maybe being sidelined with an unspecified injury and not being able to practice or play, a case of the drops doesn't really scare me much.

H

HardRightEdge

Imo, Moore is far more likely to make the roster than guys like St. Brown, Pipkins, Donnerson, Whitehead and Kendricks.
I agree with that.

At this time I’m not sure how things are looking in terms of OL. We’ve seen between 7-9 kept. I’d guess 8 because I’m not seeing that swiss army knife guy like Don Barclay was at one time.

With McCarthy's recent defense of Murphy and Spriggs, the go-slow with Bulaga, and guys having been dinged up, I'm thinking they may start with 9, which admittedly seems excessive. If they end up dumping Spriggs and keeping Bell who could fill in at OG, then 8 seems more plausible.

I think they'll go with 3 RBs, the two obvious names and one of these other guys. They might even go with just 2 until Jones comes back.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with that.

With McCarthy's recent defense of Murphy and Spriggs, the go-slow with Bulaga, and guys having been dinged up, I'm thinking they may start with 9, which admittedly seems excessive. If they end up dumping Spriggs and keeping Bell who could fill in at OG, then 8 seems more plausible.

I think they'll go with 3 RBs, the two obvious names and one of these other guys. They might even go with just 2 until Jones comes back.
Forgot about Jones suspension which actually should open up another roster spot for a couple of weeks. I think they might keep an extra OL until he gets back.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not sure if you included Ripkowski in the running back group but if not I would be surprised if the Packers end up having four true running backs on the roster at any time this season.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is true— reporters are not scouts. Scintillating. But a little rich seeing as how we are on an NFL fan forum.

The team cut a 5th round rookie a year ago and put him on the practice squad. The notion that they might try that with a 4th rounder isn’t outlandish.

I see his talent. I liked him at Missouri. I think he can be good. But it bears mentioning when his drop issue is so bad and persistent that it’s drawing speculation that he could be cut. That’s notable.

They cut a 4th round wr once upon a time too. I'm just saying there's no way they cut Moore and if you wanna bet on it that's fine? Im positive the Packers front office is smarter than that. Players with his blend of size and talent at the position don't just grow on trees

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't particularly care that you don't particularly care if I listen. I'll speculate that if they keep Davis, St. Brown is the odd man out, and I don't particularly care if you agree.

They won't cut St brown either. The guy whose getting cut if Davis stays which I don't think he will is kumerow. But my prediction it's 7 on the 53 and they are Adams, Cobb, Allison, kumerow, St brown, mvs, and moore. Davis just isn't a player at receiver and his poor decisions as a returner outweigh the few big plays he's made. Also his apparent inability to return kickoffs something he did in college puzzles me

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If both Moore and Madison end up being wasted picks right out of the gate, rocky start to Gutes first draft class. I'm not saying either or both will end up being nothing, but so far the returns are not so good. Maybe Alexander, Jackson, Burks, Scott, MVS, EQ, Bradley and Donnerson will make up for things. :)

Can't fault Gute for a player not reporting. It must be something serious to turn down hundreds of thousands of dollars to not report. I think it's safe to say that WRs are the most drafted player in NFL history because of how many you need on the roster, so if he's only 2 for 3, or even 1 for 3, I think it's a success. Hell that's why he drafted 3, hoping he'd hit just once. Same thing TT did.

Time to bring in Eric Reid and sign him.

Not to stir the "political debate pot", but this video has gone viral and IMO...one of the best "speeches" given on the subject. If it gains enough traction, possibly peoples opinions on Kap, Reid and others may soften a bit.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2018/aug/22/beto-orourke-nfl-protests-texas-video

Saw that a couple days ago. He should run for President.

I don't expect Moore to come off the field tonight unless he's tired. If I were MM, Moore and Kumerow would be starting on the outside with MVS and EQS rotating in the slot positions. If Moore can't match what Kumerow can do he should definitely be on the PS, if not cut altogether.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I guess that's the end of this thread or you still wanna make a bet?

4 for 62 including a 27 yarder also was open for a long completion on which kizer failed to deliver a catchable ball. When he starts playing with Rodgers watch out now

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Trevor Davis is probably going to make this team and he hasn't played a preseason down that I am aware of. Pretty disappointed thus far in what appears to be the lack of other options.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trevor Davis is probably going to make this team and he hasn't played a preseason down that I am aware of. Pretty disappointed thus far in what appears to be the lack of other options.

Jaire Alexander demonstrated last night that he is a far better decision maker as a returner than Davis will ever be. My only reservation about using him is exposing him to increased risk of injury when he seems to be too good of a corner. As far as kickoff Davis is no good there career 22.7 average long of only 34 he provides nothing in that area. I'm not sure you can cut a much better position player to just have him as your punt returner

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Jaire Alexander demonstrated last night that he is a far better decision maker as a returner than Davis will ever be. My only reservation about using him is exposing him to increased risk of injury when he seems to be too good of a corner. As far as kickoff Davis is no good there career 22.7 average long of only 34 he provides nothing in that area. I'm not sure you can cut a much better position player to just have him as your punt returner
I didn't see much past the 1st quarter, but yes JA could be the solution to the problem. I know a lot of people are expressing "don't want to see him injured returning punts", but with what appears to be some depth at CB, I would take that risk to gain a roster spot for someone more deserving than Davis. I am seriously trying to think of the last punt returner for the Packers who got hurt returning punts? Meanwhile, we have had a whole slew of CB's over the last several seasons getting hurt playing CB. If JA can come close to producing the numbers Davis did returning punts, I am fine with any additional exposure to injury.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alexander made better decisions, but I don't remember him every actually fielding a punt. That's important to me. Secure that ball, especially with bodies around. It would ease my own mind to see that. Just to add, I don't think Davis is the most clean catcher either. more than a couple double clutches from him last year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Alexander made better decisions, but I don't remember him every actually fielding a punt. That's important to me. Secure that ball, especially with bodies around. It would ease my own mind to see that. Just to add, I don't think Davis is the most clean catcher either. more than a couple double clutches from him last year.
I am hoping that Zook has been working ******* this during practices, testing several guys back there to see how they handle punts. Does that change during a live game situation, of course it does. A punt returner has the ability to make or break a game, with either a great return or by coughing up the ball. Seeing JA back there, now that he is healthy, leads me to believe he is being given a chance to prove himself during live snaps and I would guess that we see him back there again on Thursday night against the Chiefs. The Packers pretty much know what they have in Davis, strictly a PR and a gunner, will that be enough to keep him on the roster? I hope JA can make him expendable.

Members online