Roster predictions

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The closer we get to the season, the less confident I am that they would succeed in getting Robert Tonyan to the P.S.. And if they're not confident about stashing him, they should just keep him and cut Kendricks. It's nice to have Kendricks' experience as a TE3, but he's not going to play very often and there's no future there. Tonyan is young, talented, and controllable.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The closer we get to the season, the less confident I am that they would succeed in getting Robert Tonyan to the P.S.. And if they're not confident about stashing him, they should just keep him and cut Kendricks. It's nice to have Kendricks' experience as a TE3, but he's not going to play very often and there's no future there. Tonyan is young, talented, and controllable.
I thought that as soon as he got the PI in the endzone and then came back with that great contested catch for the TD. Instantly thought if he keeps this up, they're keeping 4 or Kendricks might not be here.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I thought that as soon as he got the PI in the endzone and then came back with that great contested catch for the TD. Instantly thought if he keeps this up, they're keeping 4 or Kendricks might not be here.

He's reportedly taken a lot of tips from Lewis in the blocking game. He's surprised me in that regard. Not that he's some road-grader, but I expect him to be dreadful.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's reportedly taken a lot of tips from Lewis in the blocking game. He's surprised me in that regard. Not that he's some road-grader, but I expect him to be dreadful.
I heard a little radio clip from him last night and they basically asked him how he's approaching it having 3 big vets ahead of him and I loved his matter of fact answer. Basically he said, I have to learn everything and perform. the only way I get a job is to create opportunities thru hard work and capitalize on them. Do everything he can to make it impossible to get rid of him. I like the kid more and more. Just the way he said it, I believe he's doing everything he can to make the team NOW.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Gutekunst said this today:

Gutekunst on whether #Packers could keep three QBs: "I come from the school that a quarterback is pretty important. If you've got guys who can play, you want to keep them and develop them."

And McCarthy added:

McCarthy asked if he wants to keep Hundley and Kizer on the 53, says it's important to keep best 53 players regardless of position: "When you keep a guy who doesn't deserve to make the 53, that's a hard locker room to walk into."

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well, if they are going to keep three QB's and seven WR's, this is my best guess at the moment. I heard Michael Cohen mention that Marwin Evans has dropped out of the core special team group. So as much as I don't like Rollins, maybe his PR skills land him that last DB slot as they try to hedge against cutting Davis. I really would love to have Davis returning punts, but I don't see them keeping 8 WR's and it's hard to imagine any of these seven guys getting cut for Davis. I would guess that Pipkins spot, in this scenario, would be the one to drop when Jones comes back if no one gets hurt.

QB:
Rodgers, Hundley, Kizer (3)

RB: Williams, Montgomery, Jones* (2*)

FB: Ripkowski (1)

TE: Graham, Lewis, Tonyan (3)

WR: Adams, Cobb, Allison, Kumerow, St. Brown, Valdes-Scantling, Moore (7)

OT: Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Murphy, Spriggs (4)

OG: Taylor, McCray, Pankey (3)

OC: Linsley, Patrick (2)

DL: Daniels, Clark, Wilkerson, Lowry, Adams (5)

ED: Perry, Matthews, Gilbert, Fackrell, Donnerson (5)

ILB: Martinez, Burks, Thomas, Martini (4)

CB: King, Williams, Alexander, Jackson, House, Pipkins (6)

S: Clinton-Dix, Brice, Whitehead, Jones, Rollins (5)

ST: Crosby, Scott, Bradley (3)

H

HardRightEdge

There's some merit to that on its face. As an added bonus, replacing Kendricks with Tonyan would yield a $1.145 mil savings, better than a sharp stick in the eye.

D

Deleted member 6794

It seemed like Light got more time in the game against Pittsburgh than Pankey, or maybe I just didn't notice him.

Actually Pankey played 31 snaps vs. the Steelers while Light received on 8.

Wow just saw Tre Boston only signed for 1.5 million. I would of thought gute would of taken a chance on him for that. He's definitely better than kentrell Brice. From what I've been hearing both Brice and dix have been terrible in the pre season and it seems neither is capable of playing the single high playmaker role that pettines defenses have featured in the past.

Clinton-Dix is capable of successfully playing free safety in Pettine's system. There's reason to be worried about his committment because of his lackluster performance during the preseason so far though.

I would like this move, of course depending on what he is willing to sign for.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/20/packers-should-consider-free-agent-safety-george-iloka/

Iloka wouldn't present a significant upgrade over anyone currently expected to make the roster.

EDIT: It seems like Iloka will sign with the Vikings today.

I actually always have wondered about whether its easier to get a guy safely onto the PS during the huge league cut down or a few weeks later. Logic would seem to be to do it during the time when all teams are making tough decisions on guys and really aren't probably wanting to scout the other teams cuts, making hard enough decisions by subtracting not adding.

Teams definitely put a huge amount of time into evaluating preseason games. Therefore I have a hard time believing that they would miss players they have been impressed with being released at the league mandated roster cutdown.

Personally, I would love to see Jackson as our PR. I know people are nervous about putting anyone back there due to exposure for injuries, but how many times have our CB's been hurt playing CB VS our return guys getting hurt returning? Jackson is a 1000% lock to make the team, how much playing time he gets on defense will vary......use his skills as the punt returner and save the roster spots by cutting both Rollins and Davis.

If Jackson shows the ability to return punts at a decent level it would definitely be smart for the Packers to not use a roster spot on a player solely kept for that job.

With the Packers all but guaranteed to keep at least six receivers I don't expect them to have four tight ends on the roster. Tonyan might make the team over Kendricks though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ryan Wood is speculating that Moore could be on the roster bubble. I believe he had another bad practice.

I am rooting for him to get these drops out of his head, but if he doesn’t I continue to think they should try to put him on the practice squad.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Ryan Wood is speculating that Moore could be on the roster bubble. I believe he had another bad practice.

I am rooting for him to get these drops out of his head, but if he doesn’t I continue to think they should try to put him on the practice squad.

or he continues to need work and easily makes it to the PS, where he figures it out.

Sad that he seemed to be the lock out of the 3 rookies and now it appears he could become a complete waste of a pick. Hoping he gets his head into things and his hands catch up.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
or he continues to need work and easily makes it to the PS, where he figures it out.

Sad that he seemed to be the lock out of the 3 rookies and now it appears he could become a complete waste of a pick. Hoping he gets his head into things and his hands catch up.

Well that's the thing... if he isn't going to snap out of it, it's probably in the Packers' best interest that he just continues to struggle so no one wants him.

Bright side, if they moved him down they could probably keep Davis and thereby have their best option in the PR game.

Now what's going to happen is I'll get my wish, we'll find a way to keep Davis, and he will just royally suck as a returner.

H

HardRightEdge

Moore will be on the 53 man roster, and not just because of some kind of default for a 4th. rounder. When a receiver wins in the route this often, you keep him and work on the rest.

If the Packers are not willing to do that, one of the other 31 will. The Packers would know that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the thing with J'mon, he does everything else right it seems. He's big and fast and can separate and elevate etc. I'm guessing they give him time to figure it out and if they tried to let him figure it out on the PS, i'm guessing someone else recognizes the speed, size, jumping ability and will let him figure it out on their roster. That said, if others are doing those things and catching it too, it's going to be hard to give him a roster spot.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There's absolutely no way that they cut Moore. Theyve gotta have high hopes for him he's shown next to Adams and Cobb he's the next best at gaining easy separation. I'm confident he'll start making the plays he has been in position to make so far. Dudes got a rare rare blend of size strength suddenness and speed. Because it's quite clear that 4.62 40 at combine was a fluke and the 6.56 3 cone was not.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Moore will be on the 53 man roster, and not just because of some kind of default for a 4th. rounder. When a receiver wins in the route this often, you keep him and work on the rest.

If the Packers are not willing to do that, one of the other 31 will. The Packers would know that.

That's the thing with J'mon, he does everything else right it seems. He's big and fast and can separate and elevate etc. I'm guessing they give him time to figure it out and if they tried to let him figure it out on the PS, i'm guessing someone else recognizes the speed, size, jumping ability and will let him figure it out on their roster. That said, if others are doing those things and catching it too, it's going to be hard to give him a roster spot.

I agree with you both, if its determined that whatever he is or isn't doing is "fixable". While we haven't heard much good news out of practices on him, maybe the coaches are seeing that this is just a guy in a slump. If that is the case, I agree, you don't risk trying to get him on to the PS to fix that slump, you keep him as your 6th/7th WR and a game day inactive, until he starts proving himself. All that said, if this was just a bad pick and the guy can do everything but catch a ball consistently, an issue he seemed to have at times in college, than the Packers may say "let's cut our losses now and not risk losing EQ or another WR"

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There's absolutely no way that they cut Moore. Theyve gotta have high hopes for him he's shown next to Adams and Cobb he's the next best at gaining easy separation. I'm confident he'll start making the plays he has been in position to make so far. Dudes got a rare rare blend of size strength suddenness and speed. Because it's quite clear that 4.62 40 at combine was a fluke and the 6.56 3 cone was not.

I'm just saying that his issue with drops has not let up yet and it has beat reporters speculation about his spot on the roster. No one is disputing his talent.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If both Moore and Madison end up being wasted picks right out of the gate, rocky start to Gutes first draft class. I'm not saying either or both will end up being nothing, but so far the returns are not so good. Maybe Alexander, Jackson, Burks, Scott, MVS, EQ, Bradley and Donnerson will make up for things. :)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If both Moore and Madison end up being wasted picks right out of the gate, rocky start to Gutes first draft class. I'm not saying either or both will end up being nothing, but so far the returns are not so good. Maybe Alexander, Jackson, Burks, Scott, MVS, EQ, Bradley and Donnerson will make up for things. :)

If the top three picks, one of the WR's, and the ST'ers work out, it will be a banner draft.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just saying that his issue with drops has not let up yet and it has beat reporters speculation about his spot on the roster. No one is disputing his talent.
Maybe he’s got a case of the yips. Call in the hypnotist.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd bring him in anyway. But as it's been said, I don't see it happening with the lawsuit pending.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah reporters are and that's why they're reporters and not scouts. Coincidentally right after I read your post I was listening to the radio and guess what they were talking about haha. A comment by gute that your draft status will not be taken into account when it's time to make cuts. The reporters were speculating this comment was specifically targeted at jmon. To me it's very similar to the let's cut davantae Adams crowd a few years ago. His talent was plain as day for everyone to see. Yet because he was struggling with drops and a bad ankle Reporters and fans were talking up his release while I highly highly doubt anyone inside the organization ever gave that even so much as a thought

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with you both, if its determined that whatever he is or isn't doing is "fixable". While we haven't heard much good news out of practices on him, maybe the coaches are seeing that this is just a guy in a slump. If that is the case, I agree, you don't risk trying to get him on to the PS to fix that slump, you keep him as your 6th/7th WR and a game day inactive, until he starts proving himself. All that said, if this was just a bad pick and the guy can do everything but catch a ball consistently, an issue he seemed to have at times in college, than the Packers may say "let's cut our losses now and not risk losing EQ or another WR"
what does he really got that Kumerow doesn't? Besides a few more years before the dreaded age 30. To keep Moore means someone else has to go. Not all 3 of the drafted rookies plus the penciled in 3 starters plus Kumerow and maybe Davis as PR can make the team. The best that can happen for the WR corps not named Adams or Cobb is for one or two to get on to IR. Worked for Swain for a few seasons. Stash a player that needs a year to come into camp next year and try it again.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time to bring in Eric Reid and sign him.

Not to stir the "political debate pot", but this video has gone viral and IMO...one of the best "speeches" given on the subject. If it gains enough traction, possibly peoples opinions on Kap, Reid and others may soften a bit.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2018/aug/22/beto-orourke-nfl-protests-texas-video

"Not to stir the political debate pot"...... Proceeds to post a video of a Democrat trying to earn political points by trying to stir the political debate pot by ignoring or dismissing why people dislike the protesting

For the record I'm fine with bringing Reid in but it isnt happening with the lawsuit and Kaep is a just a plain ******

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.