preventing NFL work stoppage

Reverend Conehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be incredibly asinine of the NFL if they allow a play stoppage, especially one that lasts all year. There's no way it won't hit them in their pocketbooks really hard. However, they may very well be hard-headed enough for this to happen.

What do you think is the best way for fans to voice their opinions? I dare say that there is likely unanimous agreement with all fans of all teams that a strike season would SUCK! I'm wondering if online petitions or just writing to the NFL are the best way to speak out. We can complain all we want here on our team's forum, but that's likely to do little good.

Let's hope they don't even think of using replacement players like they did in 1987. That was a joke.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I don't see any way for us to do anything at all other than to back the players entirely. I, quite frankly, don't want to do that because I don't think the players are entirely in the right. There should be a compromise, and eventually there will be because both sides are too greedy to give up an entire year's worth of income.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The really only thing that would make a statement is when they did return to play, everybody boycott going to the first game when they come back. It would be impossible but that would be the only way, to hit right where it hurts, in the wallet.

PackersATW

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am so gratefull the Packers won the title this year. I have been getting frustrated though with the escalating amounts of money a family has to shell out for a day at Lambeau in recent years . And then the ticket debacle in Arlington,TX. Simply too much greed!!!! I support neither side and if they lose part of the regular season I will despite my years of support for the Pack be forced to sadly part ways once and for all with the NFL. I was only 14 years old in 1987 so I didn't really know any better then but now I will surely act accordingly to the overt greed by the millionaires and billionaires of the NFL!

OP
OP
Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was living in Germany in 1987 and therefore missed all NFL games, even the Super Bowl. That year I celebrated a Broncos Super Bowl victory 10 years prematurely. My brother was living in Denver at the time and so they were who I was rooting for. My German girlfriend reported to me, "The team from Denver won." She got her facts wrong.

I didn't see any of the scab games, but everyone I know who did says they were a joke. Nowadays, they'll probably just have the Madden computer game play the games and expect people to tune in.

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both the sides are sticking to their guns! I have heard a lot of bad things about NFLPA supremo DeMaurice Smith. There are rumors that he is in it only for political reason and NFLPA is just a stop for him as he proceeds to bigger things. Also, the owners are complaining that they are not making enough money but not showing any proof for it.

I think a deal will get done not by March 4th. Probably will be a 17/18 game season if they ever have a season!

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the NFLPA got suckered into making Smith the President because the dude had just help Obama win, a lot of the guys in the league voted for Obama and probably voted for Smith strictly because of that connection. I think he's kinda a *****.

They'll probably get one done by training camp time. I just hope they kick Richardson and Kressly off the negotiating teams. How stupid is it to act like a complete fool and be prickish to guys like Peyton Manning and Drew Brese

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The really only thing that would make a statement is when they did return to play, everybody boycott going to the first game when they come back. It would be impossible but that would be the only way, to hit right where it hurts, in the wallet.
And be sure to boycott brand new merchandise as well.

Believe it, you may be able to find really good stuff on the racks of your local thrift store. That's where I got my Packers T-shirt and it looks really good.
And when you buy in a thrift store, everybody wins.
You by saving money and your dollar is going towards your community and local charities. And your not supporting sweat shops and you are helping to save the environment by reusing resources.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a deal will get done not by March 4th. Probably will be a 17/18 game season if they ever have a season!

I really don't want an 18 game schedule in my mind it is perfect the way it is. But it looks like there really is no other way for these greedy bastards to all get even close to the ridiculous demands they want. I don't know why an 18 game schedule just doesn't sound appealing.

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't want an 18 game schedule in my mind it is perfect the way it is. But it looks like there really is no other way for these greedy bastards to all get even close to the ridiculous demands they want. I don't know why an 18 game schedule just doesn't sound appealing.

I'm inclined to agree. I don't think many fans feel like there just aren't enough games. The 16 game season is already enough football, but they don't want to do this for the fans' sake. They're doing it only to make more money. It's the same reason they allow stadiums to be given ridiculous corporate names like FedEx Field and Invesco Field. That annoys the @#$% because the game isn't about those big companies. Supposedly those namings is to keep prices down, but have you ever heard of a team's ticket prices going down after they corp-****** their stadium name? Doesn't happen. What does happen is the owners and the league make more money and the fans keep paying the same or more. I'm hoping that one of these days one of the parks gets a ridiculous name like Massengill Disposable ****** Field or ****** Stadium so that the league re-thinks their policy.

Anyway, 18 games would create too many injuries. There are enough injuries as it is.

Packerstud

Cheesehead
Reaction score
everybody boycott going to the first game when they come back.

Billionaires fighting with Millionaires over money. :no2:

Us fans are the only ones who get the brown end of the stick here. Everyone else will get paid in the end.

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Billionaires fighting with Millionaires over money. :no2:

Us fans are the only ones who get the brown end of the stick here. Everyone else will get paid in the end.

Us fans are the ones who make them billionaires and millionaires and we are getting screwed up on this!

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 18 game season is a joke. I hate the preseason too, but the only time I have been to Lambeau was for a preseason game and I felt like I had just walked into Heaven, except Heaven doesn't smell like beer and brats. What I am saying is, football is the game we love and the reason we are on this website. We don't need two more games, we just need our newly crowned CHAMPIONS!

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I hate asking this but are the Packers different here than the other 31 teams? Or are the people representing the Packers siding with the other owners about wanting more money?

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mark Murphey is one of the leaders for the Owners in the Negotiations. Green Bay's obviously in a unique situation. Since the Organization is Non-Profit it's easier to support the Team's side in all this than the Owners in general

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers are in the middle on this. We dont have huge populations, etc like dallas, ny, but we still make a profit, but i am sure they want to make more of a profit. But they are doing much better than most teams financially. WINNING A SUPER BOWL HELPS TOO!

OP
OP
Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it were up to me, I would have both owners and players association agree to binding arbitration via 12 jurors made up of die-hard and intelligent fans of different teams. That'll never happen, but it would be cool. What I'd like to see done is the creation of a medical insurance system for retired players. Too many former players from the era when they weren't payed so great have health issues related to their old sports injuries. These men have made the sport the great one it is today and have earned the finest treatment available. I would also junk the 18 game idea -- 16 is just fine -- and I would abolish overtime in the preseason. It makes no sense to risk injury in games that don't count. You've got 4 quarters to evaluate the talent. If at the end of that time the score is tied, it's a tied game. Big deal -- preseason games don't count anyway. I would also support a rookie salary cap.

But what do I know? I'm just a 40-year fan who doesn't have millions or billions riding on this.

Purplepeopleeater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see any way for us to do anything at all other than to back the players entirely. I, quite frankly, don't want to do that because I don't think the players are entirely in the right. There should be a compromise, and eventually there will be because both sides are too greedy to give up an entire year's worth of income.

Why does everyone always assume we should back the players? They are pretty greedy too. The owners deserve more than a 1% profit, which is about what they are getting now. If I'm an owner I'd say 30% profit is what I'd be looking for. If the players don't like it they can sit and watch soccer or basketball, or whatever people will be watching when there is a lockout. Replacement players can be found who will gladly play for what the owners are willing to pay.

I just threw out the 30% number. I'm sure the players would gripe at owners pocketing $210 M (that's 30% based on an owner paying $700 M for the franchise).

The bottom line it's up to the owners to determine how much they need to make to make their investment worth it. At 10% (again, based on the $700 M figure) it would take 10 years just to recoup one's initial investment. That's nonsense. I have no problem with the owners making a 30% profit.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does everyone always assume we should back the players? They are pretty greedy too. The owners deserve more than a 1% profit, which is about what they are getting now. If I'm an owner I'd say 30% profit is what I'd be looking for. If the players don't like it they can sit and watch soccer or basketball, or whatever people will be watching when there is a lockout. Replacement players can be found who will gladly play for what the owners are willing to pay.

I just threw out the 30% number. I'm sure the players would gripe at owners pocketing $210 M (that's 30% based on an owner paying $700 M for the franchise).

The bottom line it's up to the owners to determine how much they need to make to make their investment worth it. At 10% (again, based on the $700 M figure) it would take 10 years just to recoup one's initial investment. That's nonsense. I have no problem with the owners making a 30% profit.

I wish someone would back the fans! No matter what happens we are the ones getting screwed!

If there is football you can bet prices will all be going up!
If there is no football..... well crap!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I received this email today, and anyone interested should reply.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Fellow Sports Fan,
Yesterday, Sports Fans Coalition wrote a letter to the NFL and NFL Players Assosciation asking that we formally be allowed to sit in on the ongoing labor negotiations to ensure that progress is being made. If things are allowed to continue as they are, there will be a work stoppage, which will be devastating to our local businesses, workers, and fans.
The letter was picked up last night by the New York Times and the Associated Press and more outlets have followed suit today.
It's now up to the players and owners to decide whether they want to shut fans out of the process. We have spent billions in direct and indirect subsidies to help grow the NFL and our cities and communities will be the ones that fail if there is no season.
We need to keep up the pressure and we need as many fans behind us as we can. Please ask five of your friends to sign the petition at Save Next Season and ask them to do the same. (It really does make a huge difference.)
Please do the same on Twitter if you use that. Here's a sample tweet: "Fans belong in NFL negotiations. Sign http://savenextseason.com and RT if you agree."
With enough fans, we really can make a difference. We love this game and know how important it is to our communities. Let's show the players and owners who's really in charge.
Best,
Brian Frederick
Executive Director
You can follow SFC on Twitter here and me here.
And be sure to become a fan of SFC on Facebook here.
1300 19th Street, NW, Washington D.C. 20036

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
I miss Upshaw and Tagliabu. With all the money at stake, those two would not have effed this situation up like the current ****heads have. :snack:

OP
OP
Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just ran across this post on the Cowboys forum that I frequent. It was posted by a Texans fan. I think it's an intriguing idea. I might just go for it.

Blockout the NFL save our 2011 season

Hey guys.

I know I may not be the most popular guy in the forum, hell I'm a Texans fan. And if a MOD wants to move this post, feel free but I'd like as many people as possible to join in the effort. It isn't a "Cowboys" issue but its certainly an issue for every Cowboys fan. The lockout. I started a group and I'll just post the idea as it exists on our page. This is only about 50 minutes into this idea and its kind of short notice but I think it could actually send a message to then NFL. I don't care if its the NFLPA at fault or the NFL owners, I just want my **** football

OK. Here's the idea. The NFL and the Players Association are unable to get their act together. This is threatening the 2011 season and the fans need to send a message. WE WANT OUR 2011 SEASON!

Letters do no good, they are easy to throw out. Emails get put in the trash bin to easily so here is what I am proposing:

In the past you sent a message to someone by sending them a horse head. Well Animal rights activists would be all over me if I were to suggest that so I've got the perfect substitute. First, go to Walmart or Target and buy a football NOT officially licensed by the NFL . It can be one of the cheap $3 footballs or any football you have laying around the house. Then on the 25th we are all going to send a message to the NFL that will never be forgotten. If you are a fan of an AFC team send your football to the league office. If you are a team of an NFC team send a football to the Players association. If everyone mails them on the same day the NFL and the NFLPA will receive hundreds of thousands or possibly MILLIONS of footballs within a couple of days. You can't simply shred them or send them to a dumpster. They might even have to go get together to figure out how to dispose of them. Maybe while they're doing that they can get together and talk about this CBA and save the season.

Lets send them a message they can't discard so easily.

Thanks,
Texanmike

AFC fans the NFL League address is:

National Football league
280 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10017

NFC fans the NFLPA address is:

NFLPA
1133 20th Street
Washington DC 20036

Again if you move it I won't be offended... if not join the movement. Its in its infancy and who knows, they might just get 1 or 2 footballs.. maybe a million. Thanks and sorry if you feel I wasted your time.

The facebook page if you want to join:
Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More