Playoffs

smacker

Smacker = Smack talking Packer Fan
Reaction score
To get to 10 wins, which is usually the going rate for a decent shot at playoffs, we’d need to go 7-1 over these last 8. There’s many teams in the hunt this season in the nfc. Panthers, falcons, Vikings, Seahawks and eagles are some teams in the nfc that don’t even lead their own division but are looking stronger than us currently.
And after a watching Rodgers post game interview, I don't expect him to say R-E-L-A-X either.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give your opinion on the Packers odds of making the playoffs and bringing the Lombardi trophy home this season.

The division isn't very good, so there's a chance. None of the teams the Packers will face for the rest of the regular season are as good as the two they just lost to.

That said, there is precious little about this team that inspires confidence. Even in a weak NFC North, I put their odds at 1 in 3.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
It typically requires 10 wins but if you think about it, if the situation is right, the tie could work as a win.

So if the last playoff spot has a 9-7 record, and the Packers have a 9-6-1 record, we make it in.

For the division, we're going to have a chance purely because we still have a game a piece left against the Bears and Vikings. Those are must win games. If the offense can somehow start to show some sort of a pulse, we're going to have a chance until we're mathematically eliminated.

I've seen Rodgers come through when his back is against the wall too many times to say there's no chance.

6-2 gives us a chance. 7-1 would seal it, IMO.

Looking at the remaining schedule:

Miami
@ Seattle
@ Minnesota
Arizona
Atlanta
@ Chicago
@ New York
Detroit

Not exactly daunting outside of the two road games after Miami.

That said, we're going to need make a miraculous turnaround on offense and continue to what we've done defensively to have any shot at a Super Bowl.

I'm not going to say it's impossible only because we have #12.
yeah, but we have Clevelands next HC.

Reaction score
As inconsistent as we’ve looked.. i can still see us win 2 of the next 3. That would put us
at 5-5-1. I say that because we’ve not played a complete game and yet we had very realistic opportunities to put away the Rams and Patriots on the road. We beat ourselves to a degree and we have to take it to the next level and finish tough games. I don’t see any team on our remaining schedule that is “unbeatable” However the Falcons and Vikings present our biggest challenge. Being on the road back to back against arguably two of the best 5 teams in this league was as big a challenge as we’ve had in several years.

IF we can go 5-5-1 then IMO to make postseason we’d have to win 4 of the final 5 games and finish 9-6-1

Right now we have a 30% chance.
If we go 3-0 in the next 3 weeks? 70% chance
If we go 2-1 “ “ and beat the Vikings 60%
If we go 2-1 “ “ and lose to the Vikes? 40%
If we go 1-2 “ “ but beat the Vikings 20%
If we go 1-2 “ “ but lose to the Vikings 5%

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As pessimistic as I've been, the last 5 games actually look very possible as "run the table" games. Home versus Atlanta and Arizona, at Chicago, at the Jets and home versus Detroit.

More realistically I'd say that looks like a possible 4-1 stretch with a loss in there to either the Falcons or Bears -- Falcons would be better.

Accomplishing that puts them at 7-5-1, so you still need at least 2 wins. Miami would ideally be one this weekend. Then there's Seattle and Minnesota. Realistically, with everything on the line with Minnesota, I don't see any way in without going into Minneapolis and winning that game.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't consider the Packers a legit Super Bowl contender this season. If they make it to the playoffs, something that could happen in a division without an elite team, there's a chance as long as Rodgers is healthy though.

Reaction score
Rodgers played the best quarterback I’ve ever seen played late 2016 and into that playoff run. He was 4-1 last year before the injury and looked like Rodgers, and this year he’s only been healthy for a quarter and a half of football.

I’m trying to figure out what drop off you’re seeing.

No doubt he is still a beast. Eye test just tells me that his "explosive" quickness outside of the pocket is almost gone. Maybe next year after an off season to heal that knee he will be good. But with how his body is, I wouldn't be surprised if we have this conversation next year about the OTHER knee. I still think we don't do enough short quick passes (which would help him stay in the pocket and make mobility less of a factor).

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
No doubt he is still a beast. Eye test just tells me that his "explosive" quickness outside of the pocket is almost gone. Maybe next year after an off season to heal that knee he will be good. But with how his body is, I wouldn't be surprised if we have this conversation next year about the OTHER knee. I still think we don't do enough short quick passes (which would help him stay in the pocket and make mobility less of a factor).
If you're saying his explosiveness this year has been compromised then I agree. But that's because of the injury, not due to diminishing skills.

I do agree about more short throws.

Reaction score
If you're saying his explosiveness this year has been compromised then I agree. But that's because of the injury, not due to diminishing skills.

I do agree about more short throws.

Sounds like we see eye to eye for the most part. Then let me ask you this. Do you truly believe that when his knee is 100% healed. Lets pretend he doesn't play til next season. Tons of heal time. Do you believe that he would be just as mobile/fast as he was 2 or 3 seasons ago? How about 75% as fast as he was a few years back?

Reaction score
here are the playoff standing right now
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Los Angeles Rams
New Orleans Saints
Chicago Bears
Washington Redskins
Carolina Panthers
Minnesota Vikings
Atlanta Falcons
Seattle Seahawks
Philadelphia Eagles
Green Bay Packers

no way on making playoffs

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with some of the above posters that in order to reach the playoffs, we NEED to win the division. The 2 wild cards are probably gonna go to the NFC West and South (maybe South again sends 2 teams - remember a few years ago when it was the worst division in football?). Right now, I just dont see that happening. I'd say there is a 15% chance we get to the playoffs.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Sounds like we see eye to eye for the most part. Then let me ask you this. Do you truly believe that when his knee is 100% healed. Lets pretend he doesn't play til next season. Tons of heal time. Do you believe that he would be just as mobile/fast as he was 2 or 3 seasons ago? How about 75% as fast as he was a few years back?
I think that whatever drop off he might experience isn't going to be that significant.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
here are the playoff standing right now
Los Angeles Rams
New Orleans Saints
Chicago Bears
Washington Redskins
Carolina Panthers
Minnesota Vikings
Atlanta Falcons
Seattle Seahawks
Philadelphia Eagles
Green Bay Packers

no way on making playoffs
Yeah, there is a way. It's called winning.

H

HardRightEdge

Going 7-1 the rest of the way has a high probablility of getting to the playoffs. 6-2 is very borderline, leaning toward unlikely. 5-3? Fagedabotit.

This team has played poorly on the road, going 0-4. There are still 3 tough road matchups. There's the Falcons at home, a team that's getting stuff together.

The Packer's identiy at the half-way mark is one of making critical mistakes, either in bunches, at inopportune times, or inauspicious places on the field such as the 1 yard line. Whether one wants to call it talent, focus, discipline, experience, coaching or whatever, being among the league leaders in penalties reinforces the picture.

There is always a non-zero probability so long as the Packers are not mathematically eliminated. However, serial mistakes and inconsistencies are a habit. Is it possible that will be reversed? Sure. Is it likely? No.

But lets not get over our skis. I think we can agree that the Dolphins at home is a must win. But it needs to be a win the right way, not just Miami doing more dumb stuff or going into their shell more frequently. It may be a cliche, but this is "one game at a time" territory.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears play Vikings twice, Rams & Packers as their tough(er) games along with Lions twice & Giants.

Vikings play Bears twice, NE, Seattle & Packers as their tough(er) games along with Lions & Dolphins.

Agree with most others that at least 7-1 to finish is a must (losing to Seattle or Atlanta). Possible, but I think only 15% chance as they usually inexplicably lose a "should've won" game later in season.

OP
OP
Mike McCarthy

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have to assume IF we are eliminated AR sits the remaining games because he doesn’t play preseason in meaningless games to avoid injury and last season once eliminated from the playoff picture he was pulled from active duty as well.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have to assume IF we are eliminated AR sits the remaining games because he doesn’t play preseason in meaningless games to avoid injury and last season once eliminated from the playoff picture he was pulled from active duty as well.
It depends on how late in the season it is, and what his current state of health is. I certainly understand the reasoning for pulling him, but I think he could probably use the practice. He doesn't play in the preseason games (hardly) as it is. Then again, he takes a lot of hits.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather go 3-12-1 and miss the playoffs so McDouble gets fired rather than 10-5-1, 1 playoff win, and management is fooled McDouble is anything better than a god awful coach. We will not sniff a Super Bowl until he is gone. It's for the best to root against this team so he's gone.

Members online

Latest posts