My review of the game

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
As the shock wave begins to wear off and push past boundaries of disappointment watching the Packers climb to a franchise best 15-1 record and get blown out in the Divisional Round of the Playoffs, one must ask was this bound to happen?

Watching the game, I thought a number of things were mismanaged and something was clearly wrong from the start. Realistically, I knew the Packers had a chance of losing, I just didn't want to believe it and tried to deny it as much as I could. It may be a quarterback league, but I'm a firm believer in strong defenses and the running game; 2 things the Packers did not have going into the playoffs.

So why did they really lose? I'll leave that for everyone to make their own opinion, but I'll break this down to you how I feel about.

Rule #1. Don't blame the bye week.
I've already seen this being thrown around and it's quite laughable how one can consider they were just "rusty" from having 2 weeks or preparation. This is just an excuse of being in denial. Rodgers had an extra week off and that's why no one could catch Sunday afternoon? I guess someone should ask Steve Young and the 1994 49ers team why they were not rusty on offense after having 3 total weeks off (They benched their starters the last week) to prepare for their Super Bowl run. There is TONS of teams in years that benched their starters in the last week with the Number 1 or 2 seed and went into the playoffs and managed to make it to the Super Bowl, so don't give me that rusty talk ********, cause I ain't buying it.

What is the excuse for the Defense this time?
All year long it's been some kindhearted excuse to give this defense a break and not really bash them for how god awful they have played the entire year. You know all that "They're better than they get credit for, they really ain't all that bad" I offer now as the time to throw that in my face. The Packers defense set some of the worst records ever as a defense this year, and you can throw all those "but they did this and they did that" and it don't change nothing. To be honest, and I said this many times before the playoffs, this defense actually scared me going into the post season cause I don't trust them. The words "Blown coverage" became a common thing, and "where is the pressure". All year long the excuse was "it will be OK, they get turnovers, let's not care about how bad they are cause they'll force the turnovers" so what happens when they DON'T force turnovers and still fail to stop someone? Watching the Giants drive down the field all day long and mass up 400 and something total yards felt like watching the entire year on defense go by. Before the season started, only Randall Cunnigham in 1998 had passed for over 400 yards against the Packers. That record was broken in the first game by Drew Brees, then doubled by Cam Newton, even Phillip Rivers having his career worst season managed to throw for 400 yards against that defense, and last but not least; Matthew Stafford put his name in the books for a 5,000 yard season when this defense let him throw for over 500 against them.

While I thought all year the secondary did they best they could all year, they too, as well as Dom Capers (who I also gave a benefit of the doubt to) deserve equal blame. I had a feeling Capers would get his stuff together after losing a game, but I was wrong. And once again, watching the Giants drive up and down the field, you see linebackers just standing there in coverage, no pressure at all, blown coverage, and a secondary that looked lost out there. Same story all year long. The ONE TIME they were getting pressure to Eli Manning, he throws a pick...Don't know why you change something if it's working.

Ask yourself honestly, did you really trust this defense going into the playoffs or were you trying to deny the fact how vulnerable they really are? I'll go with option B on that, I am guity too, no denying it.

McCarthy was out coached.
I have to ask myself a few days after the game "What the hell was he thinking?". I hardly ever point the finger at McCarthy, cause most the time he knows what he's doing, but in this game he was embarrassed by Coughlin as far as coaching goes. And it starts with the onside kick.
While the Giants scored nothing from that onside kick, it just shows he don't trust his defense, and that he was panicking. It was a risky call no doubt, but when the game is tied, there is no reason to do an onside kick...unless you don't trust your defense cause you know they are lost out there.

Then comes the hail mary pass. This could have been avoided. The Giants are hurrying to the line to spike the ball and get the special teams out there and McCarthy gave them a time out. The clock could have just ran out without him calling time out, but since he did they figured oh what the hell, let's put it up there. They could have went into the locker room trailing by 6 at the most if the Giants kicked that field goal, but since he gave them a time out, they decided a hail mary was worth it and got the best out of it.

With plenty of time left in the 3rd quarter after a WTF dropped pass from Jermichael Finley and just a few yards past midfield, McCarthy went for it on 4th down when the game was only a 7 point difference. This was the dagger...All year long the Packers have struggled going for it on 4th down, seeing McCarthy call this when the game was still close just shows he was getting desperate and very panicked. And as usual, not getting the first down only helped the Giants drive down a less amount of field and kick another FG to bring the score up.

Overall I feel like he coached this game as if they were the under dog which is inexcusable when you are 15-1, and at home and have your screaming loyal fans to aid you (which btw, no offense to the people that went to that game, but I am VERY disappointed to say I heard home fans booing on the television)

Over Confidence
Another thing that contributed heavily to this loss is the over confidence of the Packers wide receivers. Some may get offended of me saying this, but I really don't care. This is my opinion and if you don't agree with it, don't let it bother you.
"I see nothing but greatness..." Going into this game there was a lot of bragging and I think it back fired on this team. Instead of focusing on catching the ball, Jermichael Finley made it a point to brag about how great he is and how Aaron still throws to him no matter how many drops, and then Jennings was a bit focused on throwing dirt to the endless war of "who's better, Favre or Rodgers" which is getting old. I think as a whole, they got extremely over confident. Even the bragging ******** about how damn good this defense is when they are ranked dead last in the league. All this was a sign of things to come true. So much for bragging about how no one can cover you when you drop so many passes while your quarterback is risking his body to throw it to you.

Dropped Passes and Fumbles
This continues from the over confident arrogance that has been displayed by Finley. I knew this was going to happen. I've said it many times that my biggest fear is when we need a 3rd down conversion in the playoffs and Finley drops the ball. My nightmare came true Sunday when it was 3rd and 5 and the game was 13-20, needing a desperate first down to keep the drive along, Rodgers fires a perfect spiral to Finley and it goes straight through his hands. He was wide open, NO ONE WAS EVEN CLOSE TO HIM and it's crunch time and the ball just goes straight through his hands. That wasn't Finley's only drop either for the day, he dropped 1 on the opening drive, dropped a screen, dropped one knowing he was about to get hit. I don't know cause I don't play, but when someone is close to Finley that hits hard I get that feeling he drops the ball because he's scared he's going to get hit too hard. Some people still like Finley, but I'm sorry for you, he's not a game time, clutch TE. Jimmy Graham, Vernon Davis, and Rob Gronkowski would have caught those passes no matter if they were getting hit or not. It all starts with your attitude. Finley is an arrogant un-appreciative "I need the ball, I don't get the ball thrown to me enough" type player. I actually thought his attitude could be fixed (Look at Vernon Davis, very much improved after being the bad seed 3 years ago) but I want a TE like Jimmy Graham, whom never brags about himself and is just appreciative he's catching balls from one of the best QB's in the game.. Finley has got to go. I want him gone, for every big play he has, he drops 2 passes.

I'm not trying to just single Finley out, cause he's not the only one that dropped balls, but he dropped the most. Jennings had some drops too, and most of those were great coverage by the Giants, I have to be fair and give credit where it's due. Jordy Nelson who has some of the best hands on this team also missed 1 or 2 from what I seen, which is verrrrry rare of him, cause he's transformed into a guy that is hard to cover.

The fumbles also were costly, and I'll be the first to say that one that got called back from Jennings, that WAS a fumble, the officials got that one wrong. Rodgers had not fumbled all year long, and that was his first of the year, John Kuhn never ever fumbles and that was his first, Grant's fumble wasn't too surprising, but overall it was just sloppy and contributes together with the dropped passes. Don't give Kuhn or Rodgers hell for fumbling in that game when they had not fumbled once all year long.

Rodgers gave it everything he had
Despite the numbers on the stat board, Rodgers gave this game everything in him. I will not blame him one bit for all the dropped passes and as many times he got knocked to the ground. They had a hard time protecting him with a healthy offensive line, but Rodgers was trying harder than anyone else on the entire offense, with or without help. When no one is open down the field, most quarterbacks force the ball to the guy they trust the most (as seen by Brett Favre) but with Rodgers, he put his body in danger and would run to pick up the first downs, and that is your difference between Rodgers, Brees, and Brady. A-Rod has that mobility in him with his legs that Brees and Brady don't which separates him easily from the two. You also could read his lips when Finley dropped that 3rd down catch, and when you seen how emotionally worked up he got and angry with Finley, you can just see Rodgers was trying and giving it his best. I'm sure he blames himself for some of it, but it's not his fault he throws some of the most beautiful passes and no one wants to catch them.

Disappointed, but I am thankful
it may be hard over here to be the first team to go 15-1 and get blown out in the first round of the playoffs, and overall the 3rd team in the NFL to go 15-1 and not even reach the Super Bowl, I am very disappointed, but thankful, and appreciative they made it that far with all the problems on defense.
So I say, no matter how bad you're disappointed there won't be a Super Bowl repeat, BE THANKFUL AND APPRECIATE WHAT WE GOT FROM THIS YEAR.

Things to appreciate -

Was there ever another team with the worst defense win 15 games?
First 15-1 record in franchise history
Rodgers broke many records this year
The offense broke records for scoring
Jordy Nelson has become a big threat on this team and should be for years to come
8-0 record at home
Last but not least, any time seeing Donald Driver get a Touchdown, be thankful. This could be his last year.

This loss may hurt really bad, but thank god, be very very thankful we didn't go 16-0 and lose in the playoffs. That would have been unbearable and forever hold a burden on this team. 20 years from now, this season can be forgotten, but if we had went 16-0 and lost in the first round, then decades passing, we'd be remembered as the other team that went undefeated and lost in the postseason, not something I think is worth memory.

If you're going to lose in the post season, it would have felt much worse if we lost the Super Bowl and would have to spend the entire year being humiliated when seeing the other team as defending champions. Be thankful for that too that we don't have to live in embarrassment and torture of humiliation like the team did back in 1997 when they made it to the Super Bowl only to be upset by Denver, that loss still feels really humiliating to this day.

I haven't posted on here all week and it has to do with personal issues, taking care of someone's child while they are having surgery is a far more important role than thinking of disappointment over a football game. I'm still disappointed, but thankful we already have a Super Bowl. Rodgers has a ring folks...don't talk and act like we haven't won anything, we have a ring, and as John Madden would say "I always say the team that won it last year is still the defending champions until after the Super Bowl"

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
How is it denial to think that being rusty had something do with being out of sync on offense? More like you are in denial because you were the one who didn't think it would be a factor. Just because it didn't effect other teams in similar situations doesn't mean anything. Not every team is the 2009 Saints or the 1994 49ers. And there have been teams who don't perform well after extensive time off.

No arguments about the defense. They sucked.

Where do you get the idea that Rodgers was being knocked around all the time? The line didn't give up a sack or even a hit for almost 3 quarters.

Rodgers didn't give it everything he had. He missed Jennings who was wide open near the goal line and a lot of other open receivers.

Where do you get your stats that Packers have not been efficient on 4th down? Not only have they not gone for it on 4th down that much this season but when they have it's usually been successful. Last time I remember a 4th down situation was against the Vikings @ home and it was successful on....*gasp*.... a pass to Finley that he managed to catch

We've never been an overconfident team and no team should be overconfident going into a game against a team that you barely beat a few weeks prior.

If anything we had lost confidence and momentum and that's why we played poorly. You can deny up and down the bye week had no bearing on the loss, but our offense was non-existent and out of sync the entire game and we were uncharacteristically committing turnovers. Time off can do that.

Fans boo and they were well within their right to boo after that showing.

I don't share your feelings or anyone else's on Finley leaving. The odds of finding another tight end like him who can actually catch are slim because now everyone is going to be after one. We are lucky to even have someone like him even if he can't catch, he's a defenses worst nightmare as are all the big tight ends coming into the league. Drops can be fixed and that's his only issue. And offseason should do him good

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I could not sleep the night before the game. I told you all I was nervous but I tried to deny it. It's like I prayed the D would pull a 2006 Colts. Problem is I denied how good the 2006 Colts passing D was and how Bob Sanders return changed it all at the right time coming back.

This D got even worse which was sad to see. There was no hero to come back and save it. It was what it was. The Giants also got healthy at the right time. All season they had guys in and out of the line up. Those guys are just a dangerous postseason team too. When you can pass rush and pass the ball at an elite level it's tough to beat.

I can't put it on Rodgers. He did the best he could. It's like watching Brees doing the best he could in SF. It's like watching any great QB do the best he can and seeing his team fall to a more complete team.

Really thought this was going to be a Packers repeat. I also thought the D would improve too and it never did. I guess it's just too darn tough to repeat.

Offense sells tickets and defense wins championships. Might stick even after a QB heavy season.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good read, bro. Good post.

I don't think there's anything I can add. But yes, in a league that seems to be dominated by the passing game, it's the defense that still wins Championships. With any luck,the Pack will draft a few good defensive players and maybe find another Reggie out there in FA.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
It wouldn't have mattered if this team was the 6th seed or the 1st seed, they weren't ranked 32nd on defense for nothing. Even if those guys made all those catches, that don't mask the problem entirely that the defense gave up over 404 yards and 37 points.

Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships.

The Packers learned 3 lessons I hope:

Rodgers can't do it all

Jermichael Finley is an over confident ego that needs to be let go after dropping his last pass

32nd ranked defense DOES matter...all year long the attitude was "we don't care, we get turnovers, give us a break"

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
It wouldn't have mattered if this team was the 6th seed or the 1st seed, they weren't ranked 32nd on defense for nothing. Even if those guys made all those catches, that don't mask the problem entirely that the defense gave up over 404 yards and 37 points.

Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships.

The Packers learned 3 lessons I hope:

Rodgers can't do it all

Jermichael Finley is an over confident ego that needs to be let go after dropping his last pass

32nd ranked defense DOES matter...all year long the attitude was "we don't care, we get turnovers, give us a break"

Look on the bright side. It was 31st all year until you switched spots with the Pats. Pats got the coveted 31st spot. lmao.

I started to get worried when I started to realize near the end of the season that the Colts D made more stops then the Packers.

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough on most points, but fair go on Finley, that drop you wrote a paragraph about was RODGERS fault, he threw a fast ball wide right, and he knew it, no one would have got there, you can't seriously blame Finley for that.

Edited to add: Jennings drop in the Endzone was much worse IMO

You are spot on about McCarthy having a very bad day at the office, when he went for it on 4th down, I didn't say anything, just hung my head and thought, this is the make or break play, if we miss this it's all over.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Look on the bright side. It was 31st all year until you switched spots with the Pats. Pats got the coveted 31st spot. lmao.

I started to get worried when I started to realize near the end of the season that the Colts D made more stops then the Packers.

That's why I hope and pray the Pats lose Sunday....No team with that rank of defense deserves a shot in the Super Bowl if they suck that bad. But the sad thing is, the Pats got it together in their first playoff game, the Packers played the same, blown coverage, everyone standing around looking lost and they didn't seem to care at all.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Our shortcomings on defense mean more now in hindsight because of our inability to do anything on offense. We've been living and dying off the turnover but moreover we've been living and dying by our ability to hang 40 on any team. We got a turnover in this game and failed to do anything with it.

Once again, Finley is not going anywhere, nor should he. It was just two seasons ago he was looking to be transforming into one of the more dangerous offensive weapons in this league. His hands were fine. Not only were they fine they were amazing, like giant mitts. He gets injured comes back and looks bad. Not surprising. Give him an offseason and I'll bet he'll be that guy we all hoped he'd be.

Finley may have had some drops this season and in that last game but so have a lot of our receivers. Starks, Kuhn, Nelson and Jennings all had drops in that last game. Maybe we should get rid of them too.

Defense doesn't win championships either. It will give you chance.

You can have a sub-par defense, but if you have an explosive offense and you don't turn the ball over in today's league, you have a shot.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
That's why I hope and pray the Pats lose Sunday....No team with that rank of defense deserves a shot in the Super Bowl if they suck that bad. But the sad thing is, the Pats got it together in their first playoff game, the Packers played the same, blown coverage, everyone standing around looking lost and they didn't seem to care at all.

I think the Packers could have taken Tebow. Right? lmao. The Pats have not exactly been playing great teams lately. I know Flacco has had decent games vs. NE so who knows. I am not really feeling much for this weekends games now. I am kinda going in offseason mode.

I don't know. I favor the team who wins the NFC probably. They are both just more balanced.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I think the Packers could have taken Tebow. Right? lmao. The Pats have not exactly been playing great teams lately. I know Flacco has had decent games vs. NE so who knows. I am not really feeling much for this weekends games now. I am kinda going in offseason mode.

I don't know. I favor the team who wins the NFC probably. They are both just more balanced.

The Patriots play pretty good on defense for a team that is now relying on their punt returner to play linebacker. They have no star players, they have injuries all over the place and they've still got a better defense than us where we have like 4 pro bowlers on our squad.

Say what you want about their competition but the Steelers had the #1 defense and a sure HOF DC and they couldn't stop Tebow. Credit BB, he knows how to get the most out of what he has

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm hoping the Ravens play the Pats the way they played the Niners when they sacked Alex 9 times!
I've got nothing against Brady. His coach on the other hand...

I'd like to see the 2 biggest defenses in the league going at each other for the SB. I'm tired of all this "big offense" nonsense.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The Patriots play pretty good on defense for a team that is now relying on their punt returner to play linebacker. They have no star players, they have injuries all over the place and they've still got a better defense than us where we have like 4 pro bowlers on our squad.

Say what you want about their competition but the Steelers had the #1 defense and a sure HOF DC and they couldn't stop Tebow. Credit BB, he knows how to get the most out of what he has

The Steelers team that ended the season was a shell of the team who the Ravens beat twice. They had practically their second d line in there to end the game and Woodley never regained form from the hammy. Ben was a ghost of Ben and they lost their RB and several o lineman. Not to put down the Broncos since I am almost convinced there was divine intervention with all that 316 stuff. Steelers also had the SB loser curse. They ended the year limping much like last years Colts.

The Pats D is better then the ranking at times but I know how bad they are. Even if they get to the SB it's been a lucky year for them. They feasted on a lot of backup QBs and even Orlvosky to Garcon exposed them.

I fully believe if Flacco has his head on straight he can expose this Pats D as long as they give Ray Rice enough carries. The Texans have the most underrated D in the league and they sacked Flacco a lot.

I guess at this point I am getting a bit tired of the offense too. I love offense of course but I am so tired of hearing about hungry Brady to his TEs and Eli Manning and how elite he is.

If it's a Pats/Giants SB I might throw up.

Gimme a HarBowl now.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm hoping the Ravens play the Pats the way they played the Niners when they sacked Alex 9 times!
I've got nothing against Brady. His coach on the other hand...

I'd like to see the 2 biggest defenses in the league going at each other for the SB. I'm tired of all this "big offense" nonsense.

Brady's worst numbers usually come vs. the Ravens. It will depend a lot on Flacco to manage the game and put up some points. Can he do it? We'll see.......he does not have to play lights out either IMO. He just has to be smart and burn up some clock.

Also the refs have to be fair.

I believe Flacco CAN put up 30 points. I guess I have to see it to believe it though. The kid has the talent. It just....well it's tough to predict. He has beaten a lot of good Ds this year though.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Brady's worst numbers usually come vs. the Ravens. It will depend a lot on Flacco to manage the game and put up some points. Can he do it? We'll see.......he does not have to play lights out either IMO. He just has to be smart and burn up some clock.

Also the refs have to be fair.

I believe Flacco CAN put up 30 points. I guess I have to see it to believe it though. The kid has the talent. It just....well it's tough to predict. He has beaten a lot of good Ds this year though.

Really? The last time I looked Brady is something like 8-1 vs the Ravens. I have more confidence in Brady hanging 30 on the Ravens than vice versa. Even with how poor they tend to play on defense.

Ravens have the most inconsistent offense in the NFL, rivaled only by the Falcons. It was only because Yates is a rookie and that Jacoby Jones fumble that they came away with a victory last week.

Brady and the Patriots are playing good football when it matters and I won't be shocked to see them beat the Ravens. In fact I think they win by a wide margin.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Really? The last time I looked Brady is something like 8-1 vs the Ravens. I have more confidence in Brady hanging 30 on the Ravens than vice versa. Even with how poor they tend to play on defense.

Ravens have the most inconsistent offense in the NFL, rivaled only by the Falcons. It was only because Yates is a rookie and that Jacoby Jones fumble that they came away with a victory last week.

Brady and the Patriots are playing good football when it matters and I won't be shocked to see them beat the Ravens. In fact I think they win by a wide margin.

The records vs. the Ravens are of course what most look at. They don't look at the numbers. The fact is that the Ravens games vs. the Pats are often close games.

I don't think the only reason the Ravens won is because Yates is a rookie. The main reason I believe they were in that game is because the Texans have a damn good defense. It's the most underrated D in the whole league.

Of course the Ravens don't win a lot of pretty games anyway. They are an ugly team. They also will love to hear how they don't have a chance all week.

Brady might very well win but enough is enough now to me. It's time we all woke up and stop ****** pleasuring QBs 24/7.

I was a defensive girl growing up thanks to my dad and Harbaugh's 95 Colts and even I got sucked into the offensive craze. I adore Rodgers but I realize he won't get another ring now unless his D wakes up and gets better. I sat through years of hearing "Peyton is the best. Peyton will win rings. Peyton will win these games. Peyton owns."

L

Lunchboxer

Im going to have to disagee with you with the Onside kick thing.

MM kinda had to do an Onside Kick. I dont consider him being panicked but he needed to get an extra possession some how. Due to the D not stoping anything.

If we recovered that onside kick you would of said it was a brillent move.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
When the onside kick happened I thought of the Saints.:rolleyes:

Jariah

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn man I could not have summed it up so well. You hit everything that was on my mind from Finley, to Rodgers being the only Offensive player(besides Donald Driver) doing anything, to the defense. I really like how you summed up McCarthy, I was confused when he called that timeout before the half, Then I dismissed it and forgot about it until you brought it up, and the 4th down attempt was so risky. All I hope for is that McCarthy or Capers does something about the D. and Man I hope Driver comes back next season, obviously he is still a good Reciever despite his age.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Yeah I already have said this loss is better then losing the SB. At least the pain is done early.

This team looked a lot like the 2005 Colts when all was said and done. Thats why I have feared the Giants are the 2005 Steelers and I hope they aren't.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
ROTFLMAO!!! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Funniest thing I've read all week. You're on a roll, woman! :tup:

I prayed the Packers D would turn it around. It just amazes me. Like they lose Jenkins and Collins OKAY. So you lose two guys and you turn into a group of tullips? I don't get it.

My all time favorite playoff game is Colts at Ravens in early 2007. I knew the Colts grew up finally since they played UGLY football vs. the Ravens and WON. They ran like bad *** mo fos and played hardcore D. ESPN predicted the demise of the softies all week but they were the most physical team vs. the best D in the league.

Now of course the Pats should win Sunday. If you breathe on Brady there will be a flag for roughing the pansy. I can't count out the Ravens though. They are so due from the AFC. And they can be bad ***. I hope they turn it into an ugly ugly game.

And never forget who is on the Ravens. Bernard Pollard. He is a Pats offensive killer. Literally.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm re-watching the Niner-Saints game right now.
My review is simple and no where near as eloquent as Bogart's.

JOY! - JOY! - Disapointment - JOY! - Desperation - JOY! - Dejection - JOY!!!
That's called a damn good football game. :D

Members online

Latest posts