Packers vs Raiders Game Thread: Sin City Slugfest Edition

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He is coming back down...looked back ladt 2 weeks
Get enough play on film for DC's to watch and find your weak spots and its no surprise that young/new QB's can struggle after a successful start.

I think we are seeing this with Love as well. Which is why MLF and the Packer coaches really need to change things up for him and the offense. Teams expect the wideout passes and are for the most part shutting those down.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 int b4 half time tonight
Do you actually have a point? Is it that Purdy is a lousy QB? Just that Purdy had a bad game? That I don't know what I'm talking about? Or maybe just posting in order to post? It's not that difficult to post about a player having a bad game. Maybe that he is not elite? I'm certainly not rooting for the 49rs.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you actually have a point? Is it that Purdy is a lousy QB? Just that Purdy had a bad game? That I don't know what I'm talking about? Or maybe just posting in order to post? It's not that difficult to post about a player having a bad game. Maybe that he is not elite? I'm certainly not rooting for the 49rs.
Prove a point that since you mentioned him he hasnt been that good

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the reality is that Purdy is still learning the game, and teams have studied his reactions to field situations. They've learned how to neutralize some of it. When that happens, a player's game can take a turn, and not for the better. Now, it's up to the coaching staff to help him get his swagger back, and put what happened behind him. Some can, some can't.

The biggest problem is that sometimes what we think we see as great talent is more a product of how others treat the situation, and respond. In Purdy's case, he's had a darned good surrounding cast to succeed. It's still there, it's in them, and now we're going to find out if what happened was an anomaly, or if the real player within has actually been exposed.

Because these things can, and do happen, I learned a long time ago to temper my judgement on how good or bad a player is, until after they've really learned the system, and been put in a real position where they can pass or fail.

Purdy is about to learn first hand, what he really has to offer. Next week will tell a lot about what he actually has to offer.

But, that's just my opinion.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the reality is that Purdy is still learning the game, and teams have studied his reactions to field situations. They've learned how to neutralize some of it. When that happens, a player's game can take a turn, and not for the better. Now, it's up to the coaching staff to help him get his swagger back, and put what happened behind him. Some can, some can't.

The biggest problem is that sometimes what we think we see as great talent is more a product of how others treat the situation, and respond. In Purdy's case, he's had a darned good surrounding cast to succeed. It's still there, it's in them, and now we're going to find out if what happened was an anomaly, or if the real player within has actually been exposed.

Because these things can, and do happen, I learned a long time ago to temper my judgement on how good or bad a player is, until after they've really learned the system, and been put in a real position where they can pass or fail.

Purdy is about to learn first hand, what he really has to offer. Next week will tell a lot about what he actually has to offer.

Well said, and it is why many of the better minds truly are optimistic when it comes to talking about Love - he's not doing this with a Deebo/Aiyuk/McCaffrey/Kittle/Juszczyk and cherry on top a Trent Williams type LT most of the time AND a bonafide defense on the other side.

Purdy is to me a slightly better version of Alex Smith was - which FTR I'm an Alex Smith fan and truly believe Niners can and just might win a SB with Purdy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Well said, and it is why many of the better minds truly are optimistic when it comes to talking about Love - he's not doing this with a Deebo/Aiyuk/McCaffrey/Kittle/Juszczyk and cherry on top a Trent Williams type LT most of the time AND a bonafide defense on the other side.

Purdy is to me a slightly better version of Alex Smith was - which FTR I'm an Alex Smith fan and truly believe Niners can and just might win a SB with Purdy.
Well said boys and I was thinking the same as I watched that game last night.

Now a lot of credit also has to go to the Ravens defense, they are a handful. As a matter of fact, as I watched that game, I couldn't help but compare the job that their DC, Mike MacDonald is doing in only his 2nd year as a DC to Joe Barry. First, MacDonald seemed to have studied Purdy really well and attacked his weaknesses. Second, his players executed their jobs. Basically, the DC put them in position to make plays. When the Ravens got up by a big margin, they DID NOT go into "just hang on to win mode", which Barry would have done. They kept coming after Purdy and the 9'ers offense. They kept playing hard and they didn't just win, they dominated from start to finish.

While I am convinced that the Packers defensive players aren't playing at their highest level, individually or collectively on a consistent basis, I put that on the coaching staff.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said boys and I was thinking the same as I watched that game last night.

Now a lot of credit also has to go to the Ravens defense, they are a handful. As a matter of fact, as I watched that game, I couldn't help but compare the job that their DC, Mike MacDonald is doing in only his 2nd year as a DC to Joe Barry. First, MacDonald seemed to have studied Purdy really well and attacked his weaknesses. Second, his players executed their jobs. Basically, the DC put them in position to make plays. When the Ravens got up by a big margin, they DID NOT go into "just hang on to win mode", which Barry would have done. They kept coming after Purdy and the 9'ers offense. They kept playing hard and they didn't just win, they dominated from start to finish.

While I am convinced that the Packers defensive players aren't playing at their highest level on a consistent basis, I put that on the coaching staff.
When you look at both Purdy and Mahomes, and their struggles yesterday, you can see where the defensive coaches created wrinkles in their defenses that both the Rams 49ers and Chiefs couldn't overcome. That's why each week's game plan has to be based on the opposition, and how to neutralize what they do best. It's not a "one size fits all" philosophy. It's also on the offensive coaches to find the weaknesses in the defense they'll be playing against, and exploit them. At the same time, you need to constantly be aware of the nuances of what that defense is capable of doing, to neutralize your offense, and have a plan in place that will counteract it, when it starts to happen.

Sadly, for the Rams and Chiefs, they had no answer in place. to counter those defenses. They'll figure it out this week, but it's too late to change what happened, because it's past history, and losses.

As an NFL coach, it's not easy to get as much as you want implemented into your systems on both sides of the ball in as short of a time span as you have between games. Everything you do has to be implemented in less time than a person would imagine. That's why there are peaks and valleys in plays, and it's so difficult to finish a season unbeaten. After all, it's been about 50 years.

Anyhow. My opinion.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Imagine if Love played better than he already is....heads would literally explode in our fanbase lol
Love has performed beyond my expectations this season. I expected a lot more "freshman mistakes". He seems to have a firm grasp of the playbook, his players and what to do at the LOS before the snap. Now this isn't saying I am endorsing him for the HOF, but I do think he is better than anticipated and should have silenced all his critics, for now. However, like Purdy, he will have his days when everything goes wrong and those critics will be back. It's just the nature of the beast.

I think what is most impressive about Love's season, he is doing this with all rookies and 2nd year guys at WR and TE (except Deguara).

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love has performed beyond my expectations this season. I expected a lot more "freshman mistakes". He seems to have a firm grasp of the playbook, his players and what to do at the LOS before the snap. Now this isn't saying I am endorsing him for the HOF, but I do think he is better than anticipated and should have silenced all his critics, for now. However, like Purdy, he will have his days when everything goes wrong and those critics will be back. It's just the nature of the beast.

I think what is most impressive about Love's season, he is doing this with all rookies and 2nd year guys at WR and TE (except Deguara).
And really, Deguara has been AWOL and no better than any rookie since he has been here. It was disappointing that MLF could not have manufactured a couple more wins against some bad opponents.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
since I mentioned him he is in the running for MVP. I guess you should check that date again. It was not 4 weeks ago.
He was mvp before your post. I think you jinxed him. Don't be so touchy. That is all it was. I think you jinxed him.

Before your jinx.. 9 td and o int..lowest rating 62.. Highest 97 clearly mvp

Oct 13 was your post.. 10 games

20 tds and 11 int...3 games with multiple int games and one was with 4 ints.. 4 games with no int
Low Espn rating of 8.0 and highest of 93.....4 games of espn rating of 80

He had a few great games in that time frame. And was still in top for MVP. Did I ever say different? Nope. But he had very average games and bad games

Let's make a comparison?

Love same time span
19 tds 5 ints with only one multiple int game.. 6 games with no int
Low espn rating.of 20 and high of 91.1

4 games of espn rating of 80 or above.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was mvp before your post. I think you jinxed him. Don't be so touchy. That is all it was. I think you jinxed him.

Before your jinx.. 9 td and o int..lowest rating 62.. Highest 97 clearly mvp

Oct 13 was your post.. 10 games

20 tds and 11 int...3 games with multiple int games and one was with 4 ints.. 4 games with no int
Low Espn rating of 8.0 and highest of 93.....4 games of espn rating of 80

He had a few great games in that time frame. And was still in top for MVP. Did I ever say different? Nope. But he had very average games and bad games

Let's make a comparison?

Love same time span
19 tds 5 ints with only one multiple int game.. 6 games with no int
Low espn rating.of 20 and high of 91.1

4 games of espn rating of 80 or above.
Well at least you mentioned my post was Oct 13.