Packers vs Raiders Game Thread: Sin City Slugfest Edition

Reaction score
I have to wonder about this team. They seem so unprepared each week since week 2. Lucky come back against the saints otherwise bad football since the 4th quarter of the falcons game. The defense is terrible. Barry seems like he is being kept around to insure the packers get a higher draft pick. Soft defense for sure. Offense seems to have no clue what they are doing out there. Love is so inaccurate it is frustrating. Now I am starting to wonder if he needs glasses on top of being inaccurate. I thought the team would be competitive this year not look this lousy. Makes me wonder about LeFluer now. Is he the right guy for the job? He did stick with Barry which was stupid and now the offense is clueless. They use timeouts at dumb times. He has been the head coach long enough to know better but it is like he is a rookie along with the young team. Not happy at all!!
I agree the Offense looks lost at times.

I thought the D played pretty good at @Las Vegas. Good enough to give a struggling Offense a decent chance to Win a Road game

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised that so many people are down on the Packers. I have to ask them, "What did you realistically expect?" The Packers were an 8-9 team last season, having to string together 4 wins in the last 5 games to even do that. That was a team with a FHOF QB.

So REALLY, did you expect this team to be better than 2-3? Did you expect Jordan Love to look like the 8th coming of a Packer HOF QB instantly? Expect that a rookie TE, 2nd year and rookie WR's would have great chemistry with Love, as well as play like vets?

Then you lose your LT, LG and top 10 RB to injury, as well as your ILB and #1 CB and lose a few games.

Lower your expectations for this season and you might actually enjoy it.
This team is bi-polar that's my problem. We're realistically 1 boneheaded Quay Walker penalty away from possibly beating the best team in the division. We've proven we can come from behind and win games...and we've also proven we don't belong on the same field as the Raiders.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This team is bi-polar that's my problem. We're realistically 1 boneheaded Quay Walker penalty away from possibly beating the best team in the division. We've proven we can come from behind and win games...and we've also proven we don't belong on the same field as the Raiders.
The Lions beat the Packers by 14, how did Walker's penalty cost more than 4 points?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions beat the Packers by 14, how did Walker's penalty cost more than 4 points?
Theoretically possible. A 2 score game vs. a 3 score game. We were down 17 to the Saints in the 4th quarter. But this was the Lions. Not likely we win but maybe make it closer.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Old School points out something that I had noticed and considered to be a big problem-footwork. As great as he was, I remember Rodgers talking about working on his footwork even in recent years.
Rodgers' arm talent let him get away with lousy footwork. A kid like Love has to have better mechanics to improve his accuracy.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I've kind of been getting at for a minute now. Mentioned it elsewhere with Stroud, or Purdy, or so on...

I watched Purdy absolutely light up a Dallas defense that had been one of the best in the league. Now of course he has a much more experienced/established supporting cast around him and I acknowledge that. But that's not exactly the point either. When you look at the kind of throws Purdy is making...I'm not trying to downgrade him but often it feels like they are simply much easier throws.

So on the other hand with Love it looks like he is often forcing throws into tight coverage or making risky passes...and in a lot of cases it feels like that's simply what he HAS to do. Now I'm not saying that's the case on every throw as he has not been particularly accurate to begin with, but for the most part it feels like he is very rarely given "easy" throws to make. I watched that SF-Dallas game and on just about every passing situation it felt like SF had multiple guys with miles of space to work with and Purdy could pretty much take his pick and target whoever he wanted cuz they were probably open with room to run. You watch our passing game try and develop and with the exception of random blown coverages where one of our guys gets behind the secondary for a huge play...most the time it's feeling like our receivers are getting absolutely NO separation whatsoever and there's often just nobody open. And our OL has of course been banged up so it's asking a lot of them to pass protect for 10 seconds until someone finally breaks open. So then it's either wait for someone to get open and hope the pressure doesn't arrive or make a throw to a mostly-covered WR and hope that they can make a play on it. And that works okay sometimes if you've got Davante Adams or whoever catching the ball, but that's not the case for us.

Now again that's not to say that there's NEVER anyone open or that Love always makes the right decision because that's just not the case. He misses open guys or forces throws where he shouldn't. That happens. But a lot of the time it feels like there's just nothing available either and that's tough. I don't know if it's that our young WRs are just not as good as we thought, if our playcalling/scheme is just not allowing them to get open consistently enough, or maybe something in the middle.
I don't know for sure.
My gut says though if you swapped coaching staffs between SF and GB that Shanahan and Co would have MUCH more success with GB's roster than LaFleur and co would have with SF. Just a hunch, though.
Your post screams coaching. Good coaches put their players in the best possible position to succeed. You have to question whether MFL and Barry are adept enough to do this.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far with Purdy. His passing has been right on the money on almost every pass from what I have seen.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Purdy has MUCH better coaching and surrounding cast. Lafleur gets in his own way at times and way over thinks things. You are THE HEAD COACH! Let your offensive coordinator call the offense!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Purdy has MUCH better coaching and surrounding cast. Lafleur gets in his own way at times and way over thinks things. You are THE HEAD COACH! Let your offensive coordinator call the offense!
Absolutely. That entire team is SO well coached. Their fundamentals and execution is Vince Lombardi personified.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised that so many people are down on the Packers. I have to ask them, "What did you realistically expect?" The Packers were an 8-9 team last season, having to string together 4 wins in the last 5 games to even do that. That was a team with a FHOF QB.

So REALLY, did you expect this team to be better than 2-3? Did you expect Jordan Love to look like the 8th coming of a Packer HOF QB instantly? Expect that a rookie TE, 2nd year and rookie WR's would have great chemistry with Love, as well as play like vets?

Then you lose your LT, LG and top 10 RB to injury, as well as your ILB and #1 CB and lose a few games.

Lower your expectations for this season and you might actually enjoy it.
100% Agree, lower your expectations for (most of) the players on the field. The coaching staff, that's something else as they do have much more experience. The injury bug has bitten us, and that sucks, but it's not on the players to overcome that. They can play up, but they can't come up with a gameplan, that falls on staff. Nonetheless he's absolutely right, this was a 8-9 team last year, why would anyone realistically think a first year QB would equal more than what we're witnessing?

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If only they would have used a couple of those 5,000 1st rd picks on ot and c, instead of defense, Love might actually have time to make some more plays

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Theoretically possible. A 2 score game vs. a 3 score game. We were down 17 to the Saints in the 4th quarter. But this was the Lions. Not likely we win but maybe make it closer.
What was the final score of the game? Did we lose by more than the 4 points that Walker's penalty cost the team? People saying that we would have scored MORE points, had the penalty not happened, should also consider we score less or Detroit scores more.

As most coaches will say, a team usually doesn't lose or win on 1 play alone. I would add, especially in a game you lost by 14 points.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was the final score of the game? Did we lose by more than the 4 points that Walker's penalty cost the team? People saying that we would have scored MORE points, had the penalty not happened, should also consider we score less or Detroit scores more.

As most coaches will say, a team usually doesn't lose or win on 1 play alone. I would add, especially in a game you lost by 14 points.
No guarantee. But there is something called momentum which is how we won the Saints game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No guarantee. But there is something called momentum which is how we won the Saints game.
Then I guess you also blame those players who didn't keep playing hard and somehow make up those 14 points. Again, not defending Walker committing a bad penalty, that ended up costing the Packers 4 points, but that penalty alone is not what lost the game for the Packers.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then I guess you also blame those players who didn't keep playing hard and somehow make up those 14 points. Again, not defending Walker committing a bad penalty, that ended up costing the Packers 4 points, but that penalty alone is not what lost the game for the Packers.
We know that. But we still had a chance although a slim one. After the last TD ANY chance when out the window. Look at the 9ers and Eagles losses yesterday. The Browns and Jets had a slim chance at the end but it did happen.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We know that. But we still had a chance although a slim one. After the last TD ANY chance when out the window. Look at the 9ers and Eagles losses yesterday. The Browns and Jets had a slim chance at the end but it did happen.
So momentum is why we lost by 14?

Again, anyone wanting to say that the Packers lost that game because of Walker's penalty, wasn't watching the same game that I was. We got our butts whooped, from start to finish, it was ugly.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% Agree, lower your expectations for (most of) the players on the field. The coaching staff, that's something else as they do have much more experience. The injury bug has bitten us, and that sucks, but it's not on the players to overcome that. They can play up, but they can't come up with a gameplan, that falls on staff. Nonetheless he's absolutely right, this was a 8-9 team last year, why would anyone realistically think a first year QB would equal more than what we're witnessing?
I expected them to be worse....so the losing close games on an inability to move the ball by a 4th year quarterback, or bonehead penalties by a 2nd year STARTING linebacker are what's raising my BP. If we were losing every game by 40 I'd be less pissed, because THAT's what I prepared for.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expected them to be worse....so the losing close games on an inability to move the ball by a 4th year quarterback, or bonehead penalties by a 2nd year STARTING linebacker are what's raising my BP. If we were losing every game by 40 I'd be less pissed, because THAT's what I prepared for.
You are right. 4 of the 5 losses were easily winnable. I thought yesterday would be a blowout but we were handed a gift opportunity to actually win the game.

Members online

Latest posts