Packers vs Giants Game Thread: Monday Night Raw Football Edition

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they did anything wrong with clock management during the final TD drive. The Giants had two time outs. They still would have had plenty of time to do what they did. They did not even need their timeouts. We had to score a TD and it took a great catch to do that. And of course we needed to stop them going down the field. Seemed like a kind of prevent defense when all they needed was a field goal.
That’s kinda my thinking. I mean sure - in a perfect world you burn a little more time off the clock - but at the same time if you’re behind and you have a chance to get a go-ahead score you take it when it’s there and trust your defense to see it out.

If you’re going into a potential go-ahead situation worried about leaving a minute and a half on the clock because you don’t trust your defense to not get steamrolled by Tommy Devito and the Giants, that’s more indicative of an issue with your defense than it is an issue with your offense or your playcalling or your clock management.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers never seemed to have much luck on Nationally televised games- until this year. :cool: I hope the trend continues tonight!!
In all the packer forums I've visited everyone complains about the same things. The offense, the defense, the play calling, the officiating etc etc etc.

Despite all these things that people complain about, which do have some validity they are also very subjective In how one would go about fixing them. However In my opinion there is one thing holding this team back that is easily fixed.

This new placekicker they got out of auburn is not good enough to be in the NFL. He misses Ex pts and FGs to often . His inconsistency has cost the packers at least 3 games. They could easily be easily be a 9-4 team if we had a solid guy. I don't know why the packers even picked him up. In college he only had a 70% success rate, much to low by NFL standards. In close games like last night vs the giants you need a guy you can count on. A guy who can bring it home in critical situations. Whenever Carlson comes up to bat I shudder at what we are going to get this time.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You couldn’t have said it better. Yes, the defensive letdown once again at the end of a game is inexcusable, but overall, it seems like people’s expectations are way over the top based on a few games against weak opponents.

Love has never faced 16 of the opponents we face this season. We have zero receivers with 2+ years experience and, in fact, a very young team in general, so penalties and mistakes are naturally gonna happen. To expect a rookie QB to put up league high stats every week is completely unrealistic. It’s clear what he’s capable of, but the consistency just isn’t there… yet.
Generally agree but the veterans on this roster have accounted for way too many penalties this year. Quite frankly, none of our veterans have played really well consistently this year. Gary has probably been the best and he's had a few quiet games as well.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely, especially the way the defense had been playing.
And so what should we have done? Run it up the middle twice and give ourselves only 2 chances to complete a pass? We had to have a TD and they would have had just as much time anyway. But I ask. What would you have done so as to leave no time?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
And so what should we have done? Run it up the middle twice and give ourselves only 2 chances to complete a pass? We had to have a TD and they would have had just as much time anyway. But I ask. What would you have done so as to leave no time?
Imo, yes. Should have had at least one more running play.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would not have left any less time. And in all likelihood would have given us one less chance for the TD. Though I would not have had a problem with doing that.

michi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just pathetic. My God this is one of the worst defenses in the league and they can't do crap
I thought the coach called another stinker. Pee-ewe!
The plays were to slow developing, so they kept getting caught in the backfield bumping into each other. He kept calling plays that weren't working.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In all the packer forums I've visited everyone complains about the same things. The offense, the defense, the play calling, the officiating etc etc etc.

Despite all these things that people complain about, which do have some validity they are also very subjective In how one would go about fixing them. However In my opinion there is one thing holding this team back that is easily fixed.

This new placekicker they got out of auburn is not good enough to be in the NFL. He misses Ex pts and FGs to often . His inconsistency has cost the packers at least 3 games. They could easily be easily be a 9-4 team if we had a solid guy. I don't know why the packers even picked him up. In college he only had a 70% success rate, much to low by NFL standards. In close games like last night vs the giants you need a guy you can count on. A guy who can bring it home in critical situations. Whenever Carlson comes up to bat I shudder at what we are going to get this time.
He kicked three FGs last night and is well over 80% for the year.

michi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the coach called another stinker. Pee-ewe!
The plays were to slow developing, so they kept getting caught in the backfield bumping into each other. He kept calling plays that weren't working.
I think Love likes 1st down and should be throwing it for a few reasons. He is building his confidence. First down creates the least amount of pressure, so therefore the most important down for him and if successful it opens up the playbook. Opening the game with a Dillion run was pointless. Run the ball 2x and the ask the rookies to put the team on his shoulders. I think he felt from the start that coach put him out on an island. The Qb needs to trust the play caller. The coach has the most experience on this young team, so they cant be second guessing the play calls.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And so what should we have done? Run it up the middle twice and give ourselves only 2 chances to complete a pass?

The most glaring thing was that there was no reason to run a play prior to the 2 minute warning. 1st and 10 on the 27, no reason to need to go fast on that side of the 2 minute warning

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF should have run the jet sweep to Reed. Accomplishes 2 things. 1. Eats up some clock. 2. Makes the Giants think there's no way this guy is going to call that play again on the 2 pt. try.

Old Tight End

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have run it at least once and tried to score doing it. Quadzilla can pick up some tough yards.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
80% is tied for 24th overall in the league.

~29th in 40-49 yard FGM(57%)
~25th in 50+ yard FGM (50%)
23rd in XP% (88.9)
39th in touchback percentage (50.8%, I can only hope this is by design)
Tied for 28th in average kickoff length (63.5 yards)

To his credit he is tied for first in 20-29 and 30-39 yard FGM (100%) but there are 31 kickers out there who are 100% for 20-29 yards and 26 who are 100% for 30-39.

Replaceable

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He kicked three FGs last night and is well over 80% for the year.
Currently he stands at 20/25. Exactly 80 % but since the bye week he's had 3 straight games with a missed extra point and he has missed a FG in 4 of his last 6 games. Those misses led to 3 losses that could have been wins. The top kickers in the league will be up in the 85-95% on FG and 95% + plus on extra points.
80% is tied for 24th overall in the league.

~29th in 40-49 yard FGM(57%)
~25th in 50+ yard FGM (50%)
23rd in XP% (88.9)
39th in touchback percentage (50.8%, I can only hope this is by design)
Tied for 28th in average kickoff length (63.5 yards)

To his credit he is tied for first in 20-29 and 30-39 yard FGM (100%) but there are 31 kickers out there who are 100% for 20-29 yards and 26 who are 100% for 30

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently he stands at 20/25. Exactly 80 % but since the bye week he's had 3 straight games with a missed extra point and he has missed a FG in 4 of his last 6 games. Those misses led to 3 losses that could have been wins. The top kickers in the league will be up in the 85-95% on FG and 95% + plus on extra points.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good stats which show where things stand, but The overall point I wanted to make was this.
You can read a lot of posts on this forum or any other packers forum that are full of negativity. The coach is no good, Barry should be fired ,the defense stinks, blah blah blah, but the reality is if Carlson was doing his job the packers would be 9-4, deep into the payoff picture, tied with the lions and only one game behind, SF ,philly,and dallas. That's how close they would be to the top of the mountain, meaning that all the other phases of the packers game is good enough as things are right now. They've already proven that can go toe to toe with some of best teams in the league with what they already have...they Can get to the SB.....IF IF IF someone was doing the job he was hired for.

Reaction score
I don't think they did anything wrong with clock management during the final TD drive. The Giants had two time outs. They still would have had plenty of time to do what they did. They did not even need their timeouts. We had to score a TD and it took a great catch to do that. And of course we needed to stop them going down the field. Seemed like a kind of prevent defense when all they needed was a field goal.
Leaving too much time cost us a 7-6. record. You gotta be smarter with the clock. We left the Giants with :93 seconds and 2 timeouts in 4-down territory needing at least 40 yards for a Win. We could’ve easily scored and used more time. It’s inexcusable unless you run up the middle and they let you go and you get the TD, then it is what it is. No one said don’t try to score. But we had 3 tries to get 4 yards and we don’t run at all? We made ZERO attempt to mind the clock and that tells me we are bordering on inept in risk assessment.

Again think about this it’s 2nd and 4 from the NY16 and the 2-minute just expired and you have 2 Timeouts. We want to score but in patient fashion. This isn’t a 2-minute drill scenario you need 16 yards for the Win and you’ve got up to 12 potential plays to eat the clock
3 plays to get 4 yards and a 1st down.
4 plays to get 10 yards and a 1st down
4 plays to get 2 yards and a TD
1 play to go for XP OR 2-point

You can’t find a way to burn more than :25 seconds????
Why even give them a possession? Ohhhhh! It’s Christmas I get it

Guess what? It didn’t work to ignore the clock and bonus our opponent with not only another possession, but 2 Free timeouts. NY must’ve been amazed by our ineptitude, I sure was

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you always have an insatiable need to be an absolute prlck to everyone for no good reason at all?
If you bother to read the entire thread, I 'm only responding to inane insults and comments with a bit of sarcasm. I'm also quite confident this site has plenty of Viking trolls after a Packer loss. That is why I call it out. If you bother to read most of my posts, you will see that your above comment is hyperbole. My comments point out the good as well as not shying away from the bad such as the poor effort by the Packers last night.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good stats which show where things stand, but The overall point I wanted to make was this.
You can read a lot of posts on this forum or any other packers forum that are full of negativity. The coach is no good, Barry should be fired ,the defense stinks, blah blah blah, but the reality is if Carlson was doing his job the packers would be 9-4, deep into the payoff picture, tied with the lions and only one game behind, SF ,philly,and dallas. That's how close they would be to the top of the mountain, meaning that all the other phases of the packers game is good enough as things are right now. They've already proven that can go toe to toe with some of best teams in the league with what they already have...they Can get to the SB.....IF IF IF someone was doing the job he was hired for.
Have any kickers missed FGs or XPs against the Packers? Asking for a friend. For instance the N.O. kicker missed a FG vs. GB. So in your hypotheticals that should be a loss for GB. I also believe the Giants kicker missed a FG in the game, if he makes his and Carlson makes his GB still loses. Unless in your world only our kicker has to be perfect. By my quick analysis if all kickers make all of their kicks which you seem to be advocating then the Pack are 6-6 pending OT with Pitt.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leaving too much time cost us a 7-6. record. You gotta be smarter with the clock. We left the Giants with :93 seconds and 2 timeouts in 4-down territory needing at least 40 yards for a Win. We could’ve easily scored and used more time. It’s inexcusable unless you run up the middle and they let you go and you get the TD, then it is what it is. No one said don’t try to score. But we had 3 tries to get 4 yards and we don’t run at all? We made ZERO attempt to mind the clock and that tells me we are bordering on inept in risk assessment.

Again think about this it’s 2nd and 4 from the NY16 and the 2-minute just expired and you have 2 Timeouts. We want to score but in patient fashion. This isn’t a 2-minute drill scenario you need 16 yards for the Win and you’ve got up to 12 potential plays to eat the clock
3 plays to get 4 yards and a 1st down.
4 plays to get 10 yards and a 1st down
4 plays to get 2 yards and a TD
1 play to go for XP OR 2-point

You can’t find a way to burn more than :25 seconds????
Why even give them a possession? Ohhhhh! It’s Christmas I get it

Guess what? It didn’t work to ignore the clock and bonus our opponent with not only another possession, but 2 Free timeouts. NY must’ve been amazed by our ineptitude, I sure was
I have seen this team turn the ball over on possible game winning drives a couple of times leading me to not share your confidence that they can score at will. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. Though I am relatively certain that the clock does not run on point after touchdowns of any kind. So I got that going for me.