Packers vs Bengals: Preseason Game 1 Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He's consistent when he gets to kick several in a row. That's called practicing to be good. That doesn't happen in games. You go in cold, and are expected to hit it the first time you swing your leg. The sideline practice into a net doesn't emulate accuracy, just loosens the leg.

If he's having any problems in practice, it will be worse in games. That's my biggest concern.

That said, I've gotten used to this batch of Packer leadership being tone deaf on how the kicking game should be handled.

The silver lining with Anders, this is probably a very good year to break-in a rookie kicker, possibly a guy that becomes very talented and a Packer long term.

I don't expect this team to be playoff contenders, so if a rookie kicker misses a few kicks, so be it, as long as he improves. Which brings me to my final point, why are fans tolerant and patient with a rookie QB, WR, TE, etc. but when it comes to a Kicker, they expect them to be a polished veteran?

Give Anders some time, hopefully he comes around.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The silver lining with Anders, this is probably a very good year to break-in a rookie kicker, possibly a guy that becomes very talented and a Packer long term.

I don't expect this team to be playoff contenders, so if a rookie kicker misses a few kicks, so be it, as long as he improves. Which brings me to my final point, why are fans tolerant and patient with a rookie QB, WR, TE, etc. but when it comes to a Kicker, they expect them to be a polished veteran?

Give Anders some time, hopefully he comes around.
Little kicks?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my case, the lack of patience with either kicker is that they don't have the "they have to get used to the speed of the game and the talent of the guys on the other side of the line" that position players have. Given a decent snap (and hold for the K), it's little different from what they've done since they started.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess it's a matter of defining "clicking" and expectations of what would result from it. You added the word "consistently" to your first statement and that changes things quite a bit. No doubt if an offense is "consistently clicking", it could help carry a team, especially if the defense is doing the same. But as you stated and I agree, I don't expect much consistency from the offense this season. First time starter, young WR and TE room and potentially some question marks on the OL, could make for a roller coaster ride.

Timing of this offense clicking, whether consistent or not, is also important to consider. I don't expect a lot of clicking to happen for at least half the season. Meaning after 8 or 9 games, the Packers could find themselves with only 2-4 wins. What they do in the 2nd half of this season, could go a long way towards improving in 2024.
He's consistent when he gets to kick several in a row. That's called practicing to be good. That doesn't happen in games. You go in cold, and are expected to hit it the first time you swing your leg. The sideline practice into a net doesn't emulate accuracy, just loosens the leg.

If he's having any problems in practice, it will be worse in games. That's my biggest concern.

That said, I've gotten used to this batch of Packer leadership being tone deaf on how the kicking game should be handled.
Lol, certainly you're saying this in jest. I can't imagine Packer leadership ever worrying about being tone deaf on anything involving player personnel development or transactions or anything involving the direction of the team. Anything emanating from outside 1265 Lombardi Ave. is just meaningless noise.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In my case, the lack of patience with either kicker is that they don't have the "they have to get used to the speed of the game and the talent of the guys on the other side of the line" that position players have. Given a decent snap (and hold for the K), it's little different from what they've done since they started.

Yet, rookie Kickers and Punters are known to struggle. Brighter lights? Big Paycheck? Tougher competition? Career on the line? All of the above? If making the move from college to the NFL was as easy as you imply, every top NCAA kicker would thrive in the NFL every year, yet that isn't the case. If you don't know his story, check out Roberto Aguayo.

You mentioned "given a decent snap (and hold for the k)". I think some fans take those 2 things for granted as well and if a kick is missed, immediately want to blame the K. Go back in time a few years ago, when Crosby was having issues due to a new holder and LS.

Again, Kicking in the NFL isn't just a robotic job, it takes 3 players to be in sync, with a lot of pressure on the 3rd one to touch the ball to get the job done. I don't doubt Anders has the physical ability to be a great Kicker, now it is time to see if he has the mental acumen to be one as well.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, certainly you're saying this in jest. I can't imagine Packer leadership ever worrying about being tone deaf on anything involving player personnel development or transactions or anything involving the direction of the team. Anything emanating from outside 1265 Lombardi Ave. is just meaningless noise.
Yes. I know they aren't tone deaf on the matter. I don't think they would be dumb enough to move ahead with the kicking game being a serious problem before the season starts. One way or another, they'll do whatever they can to resolve the problem. If that means dumping the 5th round pick, I'd think they'd even do that if necessary.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. I know they aren't tone deaf on the matter. I don't think they would be dumb enough to move ahead with the kicking game being a serious problem before the season starts. One way or another, they'll do whatever they can to resolve the problem. If that means dumping the 5th round pick, I'd think they'd even do that if necessary.
The kicking team requires alot of teamwork between the snapper, holder and kicker. It's a work in progress. They are all new to each other. Repetitive motion and continuous practice is needed. People need to be patient. Especially those in the chicken little crowd.

Reaction score
I’m glad someone got it! I thought my career in Comedy had come to an end :p

Last I heard they told me I was still funny..
Smelling

Speaking of Seinfeld. There are some YouTube videos of Jerry and various other comedians having coffee that are entertaining. I like the one with Kramer and Jerry looking for “Sugar Ray” Leonard’s house and they are lost.
Kramer is really Kramer in real life! :laugh:

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Kramer is really Kramer in real life!
I lost all respect for Michael Richards (Kramer) after his incident at the Laugh Factory in 2006. Kramer was a great character and yes, Richards did a great job with it, but he was way out of line that night and never really recovered.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should know where the pieces fall in a couple weeks. There is nothing more disheartening than to lose games at this level exclusively due to not just average but poor place kicking. Lombardi lost a potential championship crown in 1964 because he stayed with the worst kicker in the league. #5.
this link Wow. I sure didn't remember that. Took some time to go through the records/stats, then found an article that lays it all out, game-by-game, as I did. Wasted effort on my part, but a real wake-up call regarding sports memories.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this link Wow. I sure didn't remember that. Took some time to go through the records/stats, then found an article that lays it all out, game-by-game, as I did. Wasted effort on my part, but a real wake-up call regarding sports memories.
Head on kicking. Before the soccer style kickers came along. I remember when Garo Ypremian came along and the kicker's methods were about to change. At first, people wanted to ban it, because they thought it was blasphemous to football, as we knew it. Garo made a cameo appearance on the Odd Couple TV show early on, as a kicker whose only English was; "Keeck?" Funny as all get out.

Anyhow, that's what happened. I was one of those straight on kickers. Even had the shoe to boot it with.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember seeing George Mira (Colts) kick during warm up at the Coliseum. 51 yarders. I was amazed.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember seeing George Mira (Colts) kick during warm up at the Coliseum. 51 yarders. I was amazed.
I remember the Conch. He was a friend of my Cousin's, when he played for the 49ers. They tipped "a few" together.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Living through that 1964 season was painful. Many argued that the Packers should have put the ball in the end zone so they would not need to kick FGs. That is nonsense. Opening day Hornung kicks 3 FGs including a 52 yard free kick before half. We win. Next week we lose 21-20 to the Colts. Hornung misses a 10 yard PAT! in a rematch later in the season he misses 5 FGs to the Colts and we lose by 3. He misses another PAT as we lose 24-23 to the Vikings. He misses 2 in a loss to LA. We lose another close one to lowly Frisco because he misses 4 FGs. We barely tie the Rams on another poor kicking day. The Colts finish 12-2. We finish 8-5-1. We should have finished 11-1-2 if Hornung makes 2 more PATs and 6 more FGs. The Colts should have finished 10-4-1. He misses 27 FG attempts all total. Even for 1964 that was horrific. We should have faced Cleveland in the title game.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It appears that the kicking game was just fine last night. I'm not concerned about anything involving this team right now except perhaps quality of backup defensive linemen and a less than stellar safety group. Savage and the rest are very much in prove it mode imo.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It appears that the kicking game was just fine last night. I'm not concerned about anything involving this team right now except perhaps quality of backup defensive linemen and a less than stellar safety group. Savage and the rest are very much in prove it mode imo.
I was happy about what I saw with Carlson last night. It gave me a much better feeling about him. He may have turned the corner. Fingers crossed.

Agree on defensive line. Depth may be more of an issue that we thought. Then again, were the ILBs in position to do their part of the work? Something about the front 7 concerns me about us being gouged for chunk yardage on running plays too often.

DBs looked fairly good. The golden image of Carrington Valentine got tarnished quite a but last night. He was being beaten in all kinds of routes, and kept trying to play hero ball instead of defending to stop passes from being complete. I think they'll straighten that out with him this week in camp, and he shows what he did earlier in camp, when we see him on the field next week.

We have a problem at center. Why do I get the impression they might have to end up using Elgton Jenkins there, and move someone in at LG?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I was happy about what I saw with Carlson last night. It gave me a much better feeling about him. He may have turned the corner. Fingers crossed.

Agree on defensive line. Depth may be more of an issue that we thought. Then again, were the ILBs in position to do their part of the work? Something about the front 7 concerns me about us being gouged for chunk yardage on running plays too often.

DBs looked fairly good. The golden image of Carrington Valentine got tarnished quite a but last night. He was being beaten in all kinds of routes, and kept trying to play hero ball instead of defending to stop passes from being complete. I think they'll straighten that out with him this week in camp, and he shows what he did earlier in camp, when we see him on the field next week.

We have a problem at center. Why do I get the impression they might have to end up using Elgton Jenkins there, and move someone in at LG?
Hanson got injured again last night which I believe reduces his chances of making it through the final roster cutdown. I don't see them moving Jenkins to center. I think that would be plan C at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts