Packers vs Bengals: Preseason Game 1 Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter the kicker you are going to have times when he is less than 100%. Might be a bad snap, hold, block or kick, but nothing, including an XP is automatic.
I understand where you are coming from, but the guy missed TWO PATs. There are plenty of guys willing to take his place, so he better not miss very many more PATs.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from, but the guy missed TWO PATs. There are plenty of guys willing to take his place, so he better not miss very many more PATs.
This is critical. FGs and PATs will be indispensable on this team. It is not like we will put up 4 TDs a week. Losing a game because of place kicking is a killer.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love has been in system going on 4 years and also has a bigger arm and has better timing with his WR room.

It's his mental framework that I'm questioning, not physical capability. He really hasn't shown that aggression or the willingness to take a risk and make a 50/50 throw as yet. Is he willing to risk it all? I don't get that vibe off him.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's his mental framework that I'm questioning, not physical capability. He really hasn't shown that aggression or the willingness to take a risk and make a 50/50 throw as yet. Is he willing to risk it all? I don't get that vibe off him.

Mental framework? We just got done with 15 years of probably the most risk averse QB ever so you must have really been questioning Rodger's mental framework for some time.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The actual temps down here do not get onto the 100s but the dew points are ridiculous so the heat index gets up there. But come the middle of October the humidity drops and it is wonderful here until late April.
No humidity like Midwest... Today they said hot n muggy.. 108 high and 20 percent Humidty...lol!

Reaction score
Just rewatched the game in condensed because after it’s like a movie. You pick up things rewatching it.

Not being overly critical just minor concerns because after all it is 1 PS game. However we’ll get a better picture over those other 2 if there’s a common denominator either good or bad.

Rasheed Walker, Royce Newman and Sean Rhyan all had plays that either enabled our opponent to gain ground or risked safety of our own guys.

Reed, Toure, Wicks, Heath and Wilson all played like 1st team level talent in varying degrees. RB, Wilson imo had the best day and that’s even with a 20+ run erased by penalty.

Wyatt and Cox were relatively disruptive in spurts. Even on 1 Wyatt pressure he ran the QB -15 behind LOS at one point with a missed tackle. The pressure (while missing the sack) resulted in a completion well short of a 1st down and forced a longer FG. Cox had at least 2 pressures that forced throws out of rhythm as he absolutely smothered the QB. Several more he was falling at their feet giving all he had. Several others he come clear across field to support a play that was over. But it displayed his enthusiasm/motor.

Clifford showed why he helped Penn St win lots of ball games. He’s an above average passer and runner. With a little more refinement he could be very good. Also athletically he looks the part. He’s got that competitive feel about the way he plays. They also played really fast tempo for a 2nd team unit.

Overall our backups just plain beat the pants off their backups though.

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mental framework? We just got done with 15 years of probably the most risk averse QB ever so you must have really been questioning Rodger's mental framework for some time.
I'd have never thought of Rodgers as risk averse! His accuracy just makes things looks less riskier.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure I don't want him throwing 50/50 balls

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watchin VanNess, I don't think I saw him power rush one time. And I think that will be something he'll be able to do.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is coached that way. Remember he clipboarded with Rodgers under center. Not Brett Favre.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With a more veteran cast around him Rodgers went 6-10 in his first season starting for us in 2008.
Rodgers had some bad luck in that season though. We should have a better defense this year, unless Joe Barry holds true to form. Plus we have a lot of young talent, and sometimes that can mean more than veteran experience. Youth, enthusiasm, and athleticism.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers had some bad luck in that season though. We should have a better defense this year, unless Joe Barry holds true to form. Plus we have a lot of young talent, and sometimes that can mean more than veteran experience. Youth, enthusiasm, and athleticism.
And 2 of those wins came against the 0-16 Lions. Team was not good at all in crunch time. Found ways to lose.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the optimism, but until Barry can prove that his defense is effective in keeping other teams off the board, I'm going to be very skeptical about the chances of this team doing well. I think that the offense is not even close to being in the top 1/4 of the league, and may not even be part of the top 1/2.

This year is going to be a turning point of sorts. If the defense is inadequate, and the offense sputters too much, we could be in the lower 4 to 7 teams in the league. If both click? We could win a little over half our games. This just isn't a team that's built to win championships, or compete for them, at this point.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here I thought Captain would be the only one screaming to bring Crosby back.....oh wait... :roflmao:

Give Anders some time. Not unusual for rookie Kickers to miss some kicks and/or get the yips. The kid has a strong leg, Bisaccia will get him straightened out.
If you say so Poker. At some point, every player needs to be replaced. Could Crosby have a better 2023 season than Carlson? Sure, but what about long term? It does take time, so I'll take the hit and be patient.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watchin VanNess, I don't think I saw him power rush one time. And I think that will be something he'll be able to do.
Yeah I mean the guy sure looks built for the DE/OLB position. If he follows the same career path as Gary, I'll be very happy.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the optimism, but until Barry can prove that his defense is effective in keeping other teams off the board, I'm going to be very skeptical about the chances of this team doing well. I think that the offense is not even close to being in the top 1/4 of the league, and may not even be part of the top 1/2.

This year is going to be a turning point of sorts. If the defense is inadequate, and the offense sputters too much, we could be in the lower 4 to 7 teams in the league. If both click? We could win a little over half our games. This just isn't a team that's built to win championships, or compete for them, at this point.
Yeah that's a pretty fair assessment V. They do have a lot of young guys, and I like that - but it only works if those young guys adapt quickly, get exponentially better from year to year, and avoid injuries. That's a tall order. And then Gluten needs to be adding (or replacing) the players required to get the team back in playoff contention. I expect this team to be in the playoffs next year.

I don't mean to be a downer after one PS game, just a realist. If everything clicks for them, the team could win 10 games, give or take. With or w/o a playoff appearance, that would be a good year.

What won't be acceptable anymore in GB is mediocrity, or worse. We had plenty of that between Lombardi and Holmgren, and a lot of that had to do with a very weak FO. I don't expect that to happen again (I mean the years under Bart Starr, Gregg, Rhodes, Bengston and on). This is the test Gluten and MLF have to pass, or not......

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure I don't want him throwing 50/50 balls

Same here. "You know what would make me feel better about Jordan Love's development? More risky throws. Chuck that thing up there and see what happens." is not a path I'm going down.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Cox had at least 2 pressures that forced throws out of rhythm as he absolutely smothered the QB.
Pretty sure Cox tipped a ball that was then intercepted. I don't think he got into the game until the 2nd half, so some of what he did gets discounted for being against 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers. That said, I think he showed he has a high motor, as well as power. I would like to see him inserted earlier in the next game and see how he fares against better blockers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have no doubt that there are plenty of guys that are willing to kick for the Packers, but just how good are they? Why aren't they kicking for another team if they are good?

Again, I think people have unrealistic expectations on Kickers, they aren't just plug and play. Look around the NFL and every Sunday you have guys missing XP's and chip shot FG's. Training Camp, practices and preseason is the time to work all the kinks out of the process of LS to holder to kicker, as well as line blocking. Lots of precision timing involved and I would guess lots of changes on moving parts for Anders (holder and snapper).

I don't think Gute used a 5th round pick on a guy that they don't feel strongly about. Sure, bring in another kicker, if you think the competition will help push Anders to faster improvement. Could also do the opposite, get into his head and make things worse. Anyone remember Anders brother Daniel? He was selected by the Vikings in the 5th round of the 2018 draft. 2 games into his rookie season, he missed 3 critical kicks against.....the Packers and was waived the next day. Raiders picked him up and he's become a damn good kicker, especially after the Raiders moved to Vegas (CBSsports has him ranked #2). I'm not guaranteeing that Anders will turn out just like his brother, but it's way too early to throw-in the towel on his career.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I mean the guy sure looks built for the DE/OLB position. If he follows the same career path as Gary, I'll be very happy.
The way he stood at the line and his body type, I'm thinking Bosa brothers. One can hope. If the coaches are telling him not to bull rush and if it is a strength; he could be tough to contain.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was a bit disappointed in LVN, but confident it was just rookie mistakes and the coaches will be all over him this week. He ran himself out of the play too often and needs to stick to his lane.

I couldn't help but notice that former Badger and now Steeler rookie OLB Nick Herbig had a big first game. Herbig was a guy I really hoped that the Packers would snag, the Steelers got him in the 4th round. Will he be another impressive LB out of Wisconsin or a bust like Vince Biegel?

Reaction score
I have no doubt that there are plenty of guys that are willing to kick for the Packers, but just how good are they? Why aren't they kicking for another team if they are good?

Again, I think people have unrealistic expectations on Kickers, they aren't just plug and play. Look around the NFL and every Sunday you have guys missing XP's and chip shot FG's. Training Camp, practices and preseason is the time to work all the kinks out of the process of LS to holder to kicker, as well as line blocking. Lots of precision timing involved and I would guess lots of changes on moving parts for Anders (holder and snapper).

I don't think Gute used a 5th round pick on a guy that they don't feel strongly about. Sure, bring in another kicker, if you think the competition will help push Anders to faster improvement. Could also do the opposite, get into his head and make things worse. Anyone remember Anders brother Daniel? He was selected by the Vikings in the 5th round of the 2018 draft. 2 games into his rookie season, he missed 3 critical kicks against.....the Packers and was waived the next day. Raiders picked him up and he's become a damn good kicker, especially after the Raiders moved to Vegas (CBSsports has him ranked #2). I'm not guaranteeing that Anders will turn out just like his brother, but it's way too early to throw-in the towel on his career.

Oh I agree. I’m not sure who’s advocating for “throwing in the towel on a career” maybe I missed that or maybe you’re referring to his brothers scenario early in. I’m the exact opposite, I’d like to see us work with our new Kicker for a year and then activate him. That actually speaks to the exact opposite of giving up on him and just because Willingness to lose a season of Rookie contract and the expense of holding 2 Kickers.

I fully realize the Packers swallowing their Pride and paying another Kicker isn’t going to happen. They should’ve done this before Camp even amidst all the forum scrutiny and mutiny and insults and pitch forks fights. I’m dying to get Captains input I’m sure he’d agree with me! I know how he just lived for Mason :laugh:

Last edited:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its either anders or 80 yr old ex airline employees from england..you pick. van ness needs to work on more run contain and less clay matthews too wide banana rush. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.