Five guys that scream Packer types....

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's before we get fleshed out profiles inclusive of RAS...but got asked who are guys that if the bucket I was given said Packer types these dudes float to the forefront...apologies for it containing three OL but they quickly came to mind.

OL Graham Barton Duke....high level tackle in college with measurables that some argue point to guard....a lot like a high level OT prospect we drafted in the past named Zach Tom. What makes Graham more GB type is he is likely going to be there Day 2...we are not a OL Day1 type team. Diversity, experience, measurables...only box left is a solid RAS which many predict he will easily do.

OL Troy Fautanu Washington....Troy a TON like Barton above but won't be someone to claim all 5 spots are possible but four for sure. If his arms check out as his camp claims he for sure could stay at Tackle, but his height at just 6'4' also makes a massive easy swing inside for this college tackle. A guy with a mauler mentality and versatility that is likely still available Day2 is everything we seem to like in a prospect.

OT Javon Foster Missouri...the quietly awesome, consistent and highly graded tackle that no one seems to want to acknowledge in his draft cycle is Zach Tom...I mean Javon Foster. Forgotten in the SEC conference of offensive linemen, but Mizzou isn't known for OL production but they got one in Foster. Not one, not two but THREE straight seasons of PFF grade 80 or higher since he took over LT duties at Mizzou.

TE/FB Ben Sinnott Kansas State....I've brought him, Dantes has...and if others are smart they will as well. Voted the best FB in college football, Sinnott is EVERYTHING you would write down for an H Back in MLF's system and is already IMO a step ahead of where Deguara was coming in as he was used in a more similar fashion already in college. Concensus high Day3 guy...but with how perfectly he fits - don't be shocked if Gute/MLF is the team that makes sure he comes our way calling his name arguably early end of Day2.

EDGE Darius Robinson Missouri...this bloke is going to have a RAS for his physical makeup that is just special. He is a guy fully capable of standing at nearly 280lbs or putting his hand down as a DE. If we were solely looking for OLB standup type guys I'd possibly consider him less of a GB type but with the Hefley system incoming he fits it to a T in my opinion. Oooober athletic edges with massive ceilings are something Gute has proven he loves which is why Darius makes the short list.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All seem likely - not sure we need an edge. LVN, Gary and Smith should all be great.

Foster looks like a great Packer target in the 3rd and wont make it past the Packers on the 4th.

For IDL on Day 3. Gabe Hall. Book it!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All seem likely - not sure we need an edge. LVN, Gary and Smith should all be great.

Foster looks like a great Packer target in the 3rd and wont make it past the Packers on the 4th.

For IDL on Day 3. Gabe Hall. Book it!

I've shared how Gute has consistently drafted an edge when zero or next to no need is needed in his short few drafts:

When he drafted Gary we didn't just have Kyler Fackrell who came off a double digit sack year back, we also brought in Preston and Z. Gary didn't even get more snaps than LVN did this past year...barely a blip of action.

LVN drafted when we had two guys well ahead him and one (Enagbare) very similar to the Fackrell case. Robinson would be our fourth as Kingsley injury is likely slowing him down early.

FTR NOT defending the logic, just very much a Gute type prospect.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've shared how Gute has consistently drafted an edge when zero or next to no need is needed in his short few drafts:

When he drafted Gary we didn't just have Kyler Fackrell who came off a double digit sack year back, we also brought in Preston and Z. Gary didn't even get more snaps than LVN did this past year...barely a blip of action.

LVN drafted when we had two guys well ahead him and one (Enagbare) very similar to the Fackrell case. Robinson would be our fourth as Kingsley injury is likely slowing him down early.

I do agree. We have (and should) put a premium on Edge players.

I’ve found myself choosing an Edge rusher often in my more recent mocks. While I still doubt we do it at #25 unless it’s just stupid not to and I still see us making 1 “surprise” selection in the top #91 that’s further down the needs list. That could be at Edge, WR, TE or even DT.. where we’ve drafted at the top or used multiple selections in these areas just recently. My guess is that player Brian spoke of using a 3rd where they are on his Top50 board or in sniffing range of it.

PS. Sinnott is one of the best blockers coming out in this draft and he’d be a perfect compliment to Musgrave and Kraft. When you read about him there’s a common denominator. It’s he’s “above average” on everything from lining up wide to lining up in the backfield to pseudoing as an inline TE.
I’m not sure we’d grab him before #115#125 area though, we’d be passing on one heck a football player elsewhere at #88,#91 imo. Packaging a 7th to move up some in Rd4 is about as high as I’d go imo.

PS. Good player review above, I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Yeah, you mentioned this to me elsewhere and I really don't have any defense. I don't think fans can/should rule out DE or WR.

It would be hilarious if the Packers finally took a receiver in the first round this year, when they really don't need one.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, you mentioned this to me elsewhere and I really don't have any defense. I don't think fans can/should rule out DE or WR.

It would be hilarious if the Packers finally took a receiver in the first round this year, when they really don't need one.

Oh my word...not gonna lie I'd be chuckling myself hard if that happens. The irony would be so good I couldn't help but probably not be too mad at it honestly LOL

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think Smith is the type of guy to let go a year early rather than a year late. And I don't say that easily cause I love the guy's motor. He is a great Packer. But if he does start to decline, that leaves Gary and LVN. LVN is still a project. This might be one position where Gluten goes back to FA as well as the draft. I see the priorities as S, RB, OL, Edge. Those could all be addressed in the first three rounds. Really depends on who they like and who's on the board.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's before we get fleshed out profiles inclusive of RAS...but got asked who are guys that if the bucket I was given said Packer types these dudes float to the forefront...apologies for it containing three OL but they quickly came to mind.

OL Graham Barton Duke....high level tackle in college with measurables that some argue point to guard....a lot like a high level OT prospect we drafted in the past named Zach Tom. What makes Graham more GB type is he is likely going to be there Day 2...we are not a OL Day1 type team. Diversity, experience, measurables...only box left is a solid RAS which many predict he will easily do.

OL Troy Fautanu Washington....Troy a TON like Barton above but won't be someone to claim all 5 spots are possible but four for sure. If his arms check out as his camp claims he for sure could stay at Tackle, but his height at just 6'4' also makes a massive easy swing inside for this college tackle. A guy with a mauler mentality and versatility that is likely still available Day2 is everything we seem to like in a prospect.

OT Javon Foster Missouri...the quietly awesome, consistent and highly graded tackle that no one seems to want to acknowledge in his draft cycle is Zach Tom...I mean Javon Foster. Forgotten in the SEC conference of offensive linemen, but Mizzou isn't known for OL production but they got one in Foster. Not one, not two but THREE straight seasons of PFF grade 80 or higher since he took over LT duties at Mizzou.

TE/FB Ben Sinnott Kansas State....I've brought him, Dantes has...and if others are smart they will as well. Voted the best FB in college football, Sinnott is EVERYTHING you would write down for an H Back in MLF's system and is already IMO a step ahead of where Deguara was coming in as he was used in a more similar fashion already in college. Concensus high Day3 guy...but with how perfectly he fits - don't be shocked if Gute/MLF is the team that makes sure he comes our way calling his name arguably early end of Day2.

EDGE Darius Robinson Missouri...this bloke is going to have a RAS for his physical makeup that is just special. He is a guy fully capable of standing at nearly 280lbs or putting his hand down as a DE. If we were solely looking for OLB standup type guys I'd possibly consider him less of a GB type but with the Hefley system incoming he fits it to a T in my opinion. Oooober athletic edges with massive ceilings are something Gute has proven he loves which is why Darius makes the short list.
On another subject, sort of, Zach Tom really came on in the second half of the season, as did Walker. That kind of amazed me. Now I like Tom a lot more than Walker, but the fact that they showed progress and played well leaves Gluten some wiggle room. Outside of S, it's not like he HAS to take an OL with the second pick.

I don't remember the last draft where the GM had this kind of luxury. Plenty of needs sure (with S being the clear #1) but the luxury of taking the bpa after the first pick. And with Bakh gone (sadly) some cap room to do something in FA.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On another subject, sort of, Zach Tom really came on in the second half of the season, as did Walker. That kind of amazed me. Now I like Tom a lot more than Walker, but the fact that they showed progress and played well leaves Gluten some wiggle room. Outside of S, it's not like he HAS to take an OL with the second pick.

I don't remember the last draft where the GM had this kind of luxury. Plenty of needs sure (with S being the clear #1) but the luxury of taking the bpa after the first pick. And with Bakh gone (sadly) some cap room to do something in FA.

I get the sense Gute and MLF were both quite annoyed they were using a hockey style line change at RG in their heart of hearts. Whether it be a college OT prospect that slides inside or they draft a true blue RG...I honestly feel they hope that this draft they leave knowing that cluster of a line change model is DONE.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get the sense Gute and MLF were both quite annoyed they were using a hockey style line change at RG in their heart of hearts. Whether it be a college OT prospect that slides inside or they draft a true blue RG...I honestly feel they hope that this draft they leave knowing that cluster of a line change model is DONE.
Agreed. There was a lot of on the job learning last year. It was messy, and too messy to be sustainable. They should be happy certainly with Tom and maybe even Walker. Even if they draft a LT, Walker will give him a run for his money, and either way, the team wins.

I really would like to see a change at C and I wonder if they'd put C ahead of LT in the draft.

But yeah, going into next season, there will be no more magical chairs on the OL. It's great to have guys like Jenkins who can truly play 4 or 5 positions, but it's better to have guys who are just really solid at one position.

I'm sure Jordan Love will appreciate it, and that should further elevate his play, especially in the pocket.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Oh my word...not gonna lie I'd be chuckling myself hard if that happens. The irony would be so good I couldn't help but probably not be too mad at it honestly LOL

If they use FA to mitigate the really pressing needs, I won’t be mad at anything they do.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they use FA to mitigate the really pressing needs, I won’t be mad at anything they do.

Oh you are 100% correct...get a capable safety, RB2, Campbell replacement and I'd embrace a WR for sure despite it being a massive luxury pick.

Shoot...imagine if they would add one more pure slot shifty type WR to this room....like a Corley type who is kinda like Reed but truly would provide us with about every type of receiver a room could have.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This also makes it certain that it will happen round 1 - WR.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh you are 100% correct...get a capable safety, RB2, Campbell replacement and I'd embrace a WR for sure despite it being a massive luxury pick.

Shoot...imagine if they would add one more pure slot shifty type WR to this room....like a Corley type who is kinda like Reed but truly would provide us with about every type of receiver a room could have.
I wouldn't mind at all if they use FA to fill one of their top needs at S, RB, OT, maybe Edge - and even if they supplement their WRs with a solid perimeter FA. I only say perimeter as insurance for Watson. If he can't fix his soft tissue problems, he's not gonna have a long career. When I think of a word to describe his first two years it's "injured" and it should be "TDs".

Don't get me wrong, he can take the top off a defense, and if he expands his route tree (and he has started that), he could be a deadly #1 WR. That's a lot of "ifs". But hey, Adams didn't take off until year three.

For the first year since he took Z, Smith, Turner, and Amos - Gluten should have some money to spend. He needs to cut ties with Bakh and Campbell - but those two should represent well over $20 mil in cap savings.

This draft will add to what is already a very good team, or sure looks like it since mid-season 2023 and through the playoffs. And we have a QB who is not afraid to throw it to young players (well, what choice did he have?). These second and third year WRs and TEs have a lot of great experience now, and a lot was learned from early-season mistakes. That's how we all learn after all.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It would be worth it just to witness the wailing and gnashing of teeth from some quarters here. :cool:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

BPA isn't a luxury in Green Bay. It's standard operating procedure. You get in trouble drafting positions..... ie Dix, Savage.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BPA isn't a luxury in Green Bay. It's standard operating procedure. You get in trouble drafting positions..... ie Dix, Savage.
The Packers have a long history of drafting for need early in the draft. I think that's probably true for most teams. They need a S this year. Unless they find one in FA, they'll draft a S with the #25 pick. Taking the BPA should be "standard operating procedure", but it doesn't work out that way.

Dix and Savage, coincidentally safeties, were taken based on need and turned out to be (mostly) busts. On the flip side, Alexander was taken at #18 based on need and turned out to be an All Pro. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

They also need a RB, LT, C, and Edge/OLB. It won't matter that much when they fill these needs with picks 2-4. But basically, picks 1 through 5 will all be based on need.

Some of the picks may well coincide with BPA. But BPA alone won't be the deciding factor in who Gluten picks, especially in rounds 1 through 3.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be worth it just to witness the wailing and gnashing of teeth from some quarters here. :cool:
After all those years of never taking a receiver in the first round, and all the criticism that followed, it would be sorta hilarious if they took one.

Reaction score
Funny you should say that. Across hundreds of Mocks I use various methods of trading up or back, just for fun. In a recent one I did 2 “mini” trade backs which started me at #34 overall and I chose Keon Coleman as he really was arguably the best available athlete imo.

Other than my personal favorite of Malachi Corley in Day 2 of the draft, I’ve never chose a WR before Day3 across hundreds of Mocks and most Mocks I took 0. I just don’t want to cover up a dynamic Group at WR already on board. Although it would push the depth to a nice level in the event anyone missed significant time + I like a staggered season approach at CB and WR to avoid any significant season not having choices on a Rookie deal to keep the Fiscsl “Books” straight. Probably the most excited was Jayden Reed being reunited with his buddy. Although I also chose CB Max Melton with a 3rd Rounder so maybe I was leaning too much trying to reunite family! :laugh:

Imagine the look on Bo Melton I’d pay for that.

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think we're in a better position to do that than we have been in a long time, too. The best imaginable position to be in on Day One of the draft is to already have the team you need, and you're just here to strengthen it. And if we can do that in a year where we're sitting on 11 picks... I'll be doing somersaults in front of the TV all weekend.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have a long history of drafting for need early in the draft. I think that's probably true for most teams.

Plus, even in the best of circumstances, the distinction between need and BPA is at least somewhat subjective. If one of your needs is OT, and there just happens to be an OT sitting there at your spot, the OT does begin to look a little better than the safety that's also available. If your line is staffed, but you badly need a safety, then maybe that safety really is a better player than the tackle, after all.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus, even in the best of circumstances, the distinction between need and BPA is at least somewhat subjective. If one of your needs is OT, and there just happens to be an OT sitting there at your spot, the OT does begin to look a little better than the safety that's also available. If your line is staffed, but you badly need a safety, then maybe that safety really is a better player than the tackle, after all.
Agreed. And this is true especially in the early rounds. And even selecting a BPA, as you note, is subjective. It may be easier to do in later rounds if a guy higher on the team's board slips a round or two.

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have a long history of drafting for need early in the draft. I think that's probably true for most teams. They need a S this year. Unless they find one in FA, they'll draft a S with the #25 pick. Taking the BPA should be "standard operating procedure", but it doesn't work out that way.
I see your point with Haha and Savage but I don't think this is the case this year. The value won't be there. Now I could see them trading down, or if a premium player drops, staying put and drafting at 25, then trading back up to low 1st or high 2nd round to grab a S they like. Cole Bishop to me I could see them grabbing much higher than many are currently projecting.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see your point with Haha and Savage but I don't think this is the case this year. The value won't be there. Now I could see them trading down, or if a premium player drops, staying put and drafting at 25, then trading back up to low 1st or high 2nd round to grab a S they like. Cole Bishop to me I could see them grabbing much higher than many are currently projecting.
Since this thread started, there have been two big FA adds, S McKinney and RB Jacobs. On another thread I said I believe Gluten will use some picks to move up to (around)#15 and take one of the CBs expected to go early - I think there are four of them. One name I've seen who goes top 15 or last part of round 1 is DeJean. I don't think Gluten will wait to see if he drops to 25, and he has the picks to move up.

If he stays put at 25 and DeJean is gone, he'll likely take an OT. The draft is loaded at this position.

There are also a lot of very good WRs who will go in round 1. I think there's less than a 50% chance that Watson ever becomes a #1 WR, in GB or anywhere else. Poker posted an injury summary on Watson and he's missed time to a bum hamstring in 21, 22, and 23. Very concerning trend. So if Odunze and/or Naber make it past the top 10, who knows? Maybe even TE Bowers.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts