Packers might play in London sometime soon....

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
No need for the games in London and no need for a team there. Could you imagine playing in London and then having a road game at Seattle? Its not feasible. As much as I love London, and as much as it is one of my favorite cities to visit.....the NFL needs to drop this nonsense.

D

Deleted member 6794

No need for the games in London and no need for a team there. Could you imagine playing in London and then having a road game at Seattle? Its not feasible. As much as I love London, and as much as it is one of my favorite cities to visit.....the NFL needs to drop this nonsense.

I'm living in Europe but I don't see the need for having games or a team in London.

FYI teams that play at Wembley get a bye the next week though.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't they already play American football in some Euro. places?
See? That's how popular it is. I don't even know if they do it or not.

Let the NFL do it. Then they will see what a big dumb mistake it was.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

If I was a season ticket holder for a team like GB, I would feel ripped off not being able to go to a game overseas. Time off of work, air faire, hotel, food..... nope, I wouldnt make that game. I would want to be compensated in some way for the season tickets to that game.

I`ve got a spare room, I could put you ALL up.......pack you in like sardines...:roflmao:

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I beleive our CEO said we were the worlds team...... cheeseheads in 160 nations.
I doubt they would make season ticket holders pay for a game in London.

I don't mind the idea of the Packers playing overseas. We're already America's team (sorry Cowboy fans). With the additional exposure, we could easily become the Man. United of American football.

Green Bay Packers - The World's Team

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't they already play American football in some Euro. places?
See? That's how popular it is. I don't even know if they do it or not.

24 countries in Europe currently play competitive football with Germany and Austria being the most succesful. The level of competition and attendance is comparable to Division III football.

But don't fool yourself, a lot of people in Europe are interested in the NFL, demonstrated by selling out Wembley Stadium for mostly crappy games over the last seven years.

Once again, I don't want the NFL to play games or even move a team to London though. I know it makes it easier for European fans to attend NFL games, but trust me, the experience isn't even close to the one you get when you attend a game at Lambeau.

I

24 countries in Europe currently play competitive football with Germany and Austria being the most succesful. The level of competition and attendance is comparable to Division III football.

But don't fool yourself, a lot of people in Europe are interested in the NFL, demonstrated by selling out Wembley Stadium for mostly crappy games over the last seven years.

Once again, I don't want the NFL to play games or even move a team to London though. I know it makes it easier for European fans to attend NFL games, but trust me, the experience isn't even close to the one you get when you attend a game at Lambeau.

I have to strongly disagree on this subject. I`ve been to both Lambeau and several games at Wembley. Most Americans I`ve spoken to have been amazed at the knowledge of the English and European football fan have. Yes, those that play the game are at a very low level compared to the U.S., but a lot of this is down to the price of getting health insurance etc, and having access to the latest equipment (price plays a big part here).
I understand that the American fans don`t want the Packers to give up the benefits that go with home games, but if the Packers came to London the stadium would nearly be filled with Packer fans alone ! I`m going to also say as I`ve read on here numerous times that there are American Packer fans on here who have never seen the team live and you live on the same continent !!. I travelled several thousand miles from England especially to see the team play AND paid $200 for the damn ticket and would have paid double !!. We are Packer fans too, and why should We be denied the chance to see the team We support ??
As far as the atmosphere at the Wembley weekend ? British and European fans can party and get excited just as much as you guys, trust me.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mhnessie

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to strongly disagree on this subject. I`ve been to both Lambeau and several games at Wembley. Most Americans I`ve spoken to have been amazed at the knowledge of the English and European football fan have. Yes, those that play the game are at a very low level compared to the U.S., but a lot of this is down to the price of getting health insurance etc, and having access to the latest equipment (price plays a big part here).
I understand that the American fans don`t want the Packers to give up the benefits that go with home games, but if the Packers came to London the stadium would nearly be filled with Packer fans alone ! I`m going to also say as I`ve read on here numerous times that there are American Packer fans on here who have never seen the team live and you live on the same continent !!. I travelled several thousand miles from England especially to see the team play AND paid $200 for the damn ticket and would have paid double !!. We are Packer fans too, and why should We be denied the chance to see the team We support ??
As far as the atmosphere at the Wembley weekend ? British and European fans can party and get excited just as much as you guys, trust me.
You hit that nail on the head Bill. I've travelled to Lambeau Field five times and have seen 2 games at Lambeau Field and this might be more often than many so called "die hard fans" from the US. Does living in Europe makes us 2nd class
fans ? Hopefully not.
I fully agree with the point not to give away a home game for this and as much I understand Mark Murphy this wont happen. So where is the problem if the Packers are playing a road game in London ? It wont happen once per year, depending on the schedule and in case every NFL team would need to do this it might be one or two games in 5 years. So what are we talking about ?
Another point is the fact that it is a business. We are living in the year 2014 and also NFL Football is a global business.
The market in the US for Football is limited, but growing interest from outside the US opens new opportunities for the owners and the NFL. I dont see a team based in London but to me it makes sense to bring the NFL to Europe/London for a couple games every year. I dont like Goodell, who does ? But this strategy makes sense from the perspective of the owners and the NFL.
And like you said - Packers playing in London would be home game for them !

D

Deleted member 6794

Read my post again, I didn't mention anything about European fans not being knowledgeable. If you would have followes the thread more closely you would have realized I'm from Europe (Austria) as well.

I've been to Wembley for four NFL games (wearing my Packers gear for the Bears vs. Bucs game) and travelled to Lambeau for the first time last season. I would be fine with the NFL playing all of their games in the US though as it is an American league after all. Last time I checked the English Premier League doesn't play games at MetLife either although there are a lot of fans in the US as well.

I like the atmosphere at Wembley on game day as well, but the crowd (consisting of fans of all 32 teams from all over Europe) isn't into it as much.

OP
OP
mhnessie

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been to Wembley for four NFL games (wearing my Packers gear for the Bears vs. Bucs game) and travelled to Lambeau for the first time last season. I would be fine with the NFL playing all of their games in the US though as it is an American league after all. Last time I checked the English Premier League doesn't play games at MetLife either although there are a lot of fans in the US as well.
You've got a point there but this decision if the NFL should play in Europe has already been made. Its more about the question if the Packers should play in London too.
And I dont find an argument against as long as Packers dont have to give up a home game.
Anyway, time will tell but I definitely agree with your statement that the Lambeau experience remains unique and unforgettable.:tup:

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be great for my relatives in England to see a Packers game in London.
Every time they come over here to visit, they go to the Packers Pro Shop to pick up new Packers gear and they all wear it the whole time they are here in Upper Michigan.

Like most, I don't want the Packers to give up a home game to do it.

I

Read my post again, I didn't mention anything about European fans not being knowledgeable. If you would have followes the thread more closely you would have realized I'm from Europe (Austria) as well.

I like the atmosphere at Wembley on game day as well, but the crowd (consisting of fans of all 32 teams from all over Europe) isn't into it as much.

My apologies, my comments were not aimed at you personally, if they appeared to be that wasn`t intended. The point you make about the Premier league doesn`t play in the U.S. well that may be true but they do play in other countries, and maybe American interest in SOCCER doesn`t make it a viable option anyway.
I was at the same Bears v Buccs game and enjoyed the game regardless of it being the Bears.
You`d have to agree though that Packer fans would fairly fill the Stadium ourselves and we deserve to see them play as much as anybody.
Regarding a London team ??? I wouldn`t want one as I AM, and always WILL BE a Packer fan.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I`m not asking for a London team, but I want another chance to see MY team play.

I understand. As long as its not a home game for the Pack I don't care. I understand what you're saying. I support Spurs in the EPL. I like that they come to the US once in awhile.....wasn't able to go to Chicago to see them play today tho.

I

It doesn't make any sense at all that they are even thinking of it.
It's the National, not International, Football League.

Again, I`m not asking for a London team, I honestly don`t think it would work anyway but........I WANT to see MY team play in Europe.
Haven`t I read somewhere that the Packers have played outside the U.S. in Canada or possibly Japan before ??

D

Deleted member 6794

The point you make about the Premier league doesn`t play in the U.S. well that may be true but they do play in other countries, and maybe American interest in SOCCER doesn`t make it a viable option anyway.

EPL teams only play preseason games outside of England.

TYou`d have to agree though that Packer fans would fairly fill the Stadium ourselves and we deserve to see them play as much as anybody.

I have no doubt that Packers fans would fill Wembley if they ever played there and I would be there for sure, I juat don't agree that European fans have the right to demand it happening.

D

Deleted member 6794

Haven`t I read somewhere that the Packers have played outside the U.S. in Canada or possibly Japan before ??

The Packers twice played preseason games outside of the US. In 1997, as reigning Super Bowl champions, they defeated the Bills, 35-3, at Toronto and a year later they beat the Chiefs, 27-24, at Tokyo.

I

EPL teams only play preseason games outside of England.

I have no doubt that Packers fans would fill Wembley if they ever played there and I would be there for sure, I juat don't agree that European fans have the right to demand it happening.

We seem to have a slight understanding here. European fans are not demanding anything, we are saying that the NFL has decided that there is a chance that the Packers could play a road game at Wembley and we`d appreciate the chance to see OUR team live. Are you as a fellow European resident(I`m not sure if you are Austrian or an American living in Austria sorry ) saying we have no right to that honour ?? or am I misunderstanding you ?
They are an NFL team based in Green Bay, with fans throughout the U.S. and worldwide, they are not the sole property of the people of Green Bay. We are agreed surely that they are the team we choose to follow, and some of us have travelled there to see them. I`m not demanding anything, I just want a chance to see them play and would welcome them to Wembley.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A team in London is inevitable, capitalism ensures that. So long as the interest keeps growing over here and the NFL has an opportunity to expand their product, a team will be on the horizon for London. It won't be long before there will be a bigger market for a team over here than there is for some of the current teams in the NFL.

D

Deleted member 6794

European fans are not demanding anything, we are saying that the NFL has decided that there is a chance that the Packers could play a road game at Wembley and we`d appreciate the chance to see OUR team live. Are you as a fellow European resident(I`m not sure if you are Austrian or an American living in Austria sorry ) saying we have no right to that honour ?? or am I misunderstanding you ?

Let me put it this way, I'm not a big fan of the NFL playing games in London for various reasons. None of them has anything to do with European NFL fans though.

But, as the NFL has decided to play games at Wembley, I would be excited if the Packers would play a road game there and I would for sure attend it.

BTW I'm Austrian.

D

Deleted member 6794

A team in London is inevitable, capitalism ensures that. So long as the interest keeps growing over here and the NFL has an opportunity to expand their product, a team will be on the horizon for London. It won't be long before there will be a bigger market for a team over here than there is for some of the current teams in the NFL.

A lot of issues would have to be solved before being able to put a team in London. I think most of the talk about it is having leverage getting new stadiums in places in need of it.

Members online

Latest posts