Packers might play in London sometime soon....

D

Deleted member 6794

As mentioned in the article it would have to be a Packers road game as the team won´t give away a game at Lambeau. I don´t expect it to happen in the near future though as teams don´t want to give away home games vs. Green Bay either because of the Cheeseheads travelling well to road games and filling stadiums that normally don´t sell out.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
doubtful...... I see your point Euro guys that are pack fans, but I just don't see the NFL passing up the opportunity to make home land cash. The packers draw a full house at home (duh !!) and even when they play an away team that is unpopular they still pack the house for the other team with packer fans and those that just want to see the packers play maybe for their first time. I honestly think that it is a bad idea to even put a team over in London. That travel would SUCK, and the time difference would too. I understand that the NFL would make some money at a EURO game, but it would not generate the same cash flow for the team and the NFL if it were a game here in the USA. That is one subject that Goodell needs to just drop.....

L7Panda

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think all 32 teams will eventually wind up playing in London, it's a just a matter of likely 1/2 of them (or more) not wanting to give up a home game ... but when you have teams like Jacksonville and Oakland who are ready to give up 3 consecutive years of home games at a time, I guess that may not be an issue. Tampa Bay and Miami are another two teams who could benefit from having one of their 8 home games in London since it seems like their stadiums are 1/2 empty, especially Miami, unless teams from the northern part of the east coast come down.

HaHa'sRightGlove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be a dream, I was thinking about this yesterday actually. I'm going to the Cowboy/Jaguars game in November, and Jaguar's have already signed up for the next two years.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
If I was a season ticket holder for a team like GB, I would feel ripped off not being able to go to a game overseas. Time off of work, air faire, hotel, food..... nope, I wouldnt make that game. I would want to be compensated in some way for the season tickets to that game.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of playing overseas. The travel screws up the week before and after. There is a reason why the Jags and Bills are playing in London....they aren't a draw in the US. The NFL loses less revenue by having teams with low attendance miss home games.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I was a season ticket holder for a team like GB, I would feel ripped off not being able to go to a game overseas. Time off of work, air faire, hotel, food..... nope, I wouldnt make that game. I would want to be compensated in some way for the season tickets to that game.

I doubt they would make season ticket holders pay for a game in London.

I don't mind the idea of the Packers playing overseas. We're already America's team (sorry Cowboy fans). With the additional exposure, we could easily become the Man. United of American football.

Green Bay Packers - The World's Team

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
The team that would make the most sense to me that the Euro fans would like the most would be the new england patriots. They have played in london already and they have a heavy euro following already.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
My thoughts on this are it is inevitable and of course it’s great for fans in Europe (I would expect at least a four page detailed report from buggybill). But I don’t like the disruption in the team’s schedule it would require.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wondering: How long does it take the average Brit to figure out it's legal to catch the ball with your hands?? :)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL will make all teams play over there, whether they pack their stadiums or not. The Giants played there in 2007, Saints in 2008, Patriots in 2009, 49ers vs Broncos in 2010, and the Bears in 2011. All of those teams draw full home stadiums. They would have absolutely no problems sending the Packers.

I would be pissed as a season ticket holder if they took away a home game, but otherwise wouldn't care.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wondering: How long does it take the average Brit to figure out it's legal to catch the ball with your hands?? :)
Probably about the same amount of time it takes Americans to realize that the term 'football' makes more sense for soccer.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has to happen, might be my only opportunity to ever see Rodgers play. Think of that Americans :p

Anyway, Murphy has said they won't give up a game at Lambeau to play in London so giving up a home game isn't a problem.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team that would make the most sense to me that the Euro fans would like the most would be the new england patriots. They have played in london already and they have a heavy euro following already.
I wonder if the name of England in their name as anything to do with it?
Or maybe it's because Billicheat looks like an English Bulldog?

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want our team to have to deal with all the travel, jet lag...

Flights like that take it out of you - some more than others. I'm very much affected by long flights like that - feel hungover for at least a day or two. Last time I flew to the Philippines, it took me 3-4 days to come around - granted that is a much longer flight, but jet lag is jet lag.

The players are young, and their bodies can deal with it better than someone my age, but some of the coaches aren't all that young - no matter how you slice it, it still takes a toll.

No, I don't want our team travelling over there.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doubtful...... I see your point Euro guys that are pack fans, but I just don't see the NFL passing up the opportunity to make home land cash. The packers draw a full house at home (duh !!) and even when they play an away team that is unpopular they still pack the house for the other team with packer fans and those that just want to see the packers play maybe for their first time. I honestly think that it is a bad idea to even put a team over in London. That travel would SUCK, and the time difference would too. I understand that the NFL would make some money at a EURO game, but it would not generate the same cash flow for the team and the NFL if it were a game here in the USA. That is one subject that Goodell needs to just drop.....
Is the NFL ever on the verge of bankruptcy?
Because they sure act like it.

A team in London is not needed. The NFL makes more money from just one game than the state of Rhode Island or the islands of Fiji makes in one year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts