Packers' McCarthy says he'll make changes

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Thats pretty good. I just hope that McCarthy doesnt use Sherman as an excuse as alot of other people have. He's gone now. We need to get over it.

I've listened/watched McCarthy's conferences and he's taken full blame for the poor effort and losses.

We? I don't know where the hell that comes in here. I don't see anyone but you bringing Sherman up over and over again. PF.com finally was Sherman'd out til you started slinging it around again.

We're into the fourth quarter of the season. Whats been done is done. MOVE THE FORK ON ALREADY!

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever happened to LeRoy Butler?
I wonder if he would ever consider taking some sort of coaching position.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Whatever happened to LeRoy Butler?
I wonder if he would ever consider taking some sort of coaching position.

Saw him on the sidelines at some point this past season..

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:
Thats pretty good. I just hope that McCarthy doesnt use Sherman as an excuse as alot of other people have. He's gone now. We need to get over it.

I've listened/watched McCarthy's conferences and he's taken full blame for the poor effort and losses.

We? I don't know where the hell that comes in here. I don't see anyone but you bringing Sherman up over and over again. PF.com finally was Sherman'd out til you started slinging it around again.

We're into the fourth quarter of the season. Whats been done is done. MOVE THE FORK ON ALREADY!
`

Zero2cool, all I said was Im getting tired of McCarthy SAYING they need to get things fixed instead of actually fixing them. Then LT quoted and replied to my post with the dreaded and outdated Sherman excuse. LT brought up Sherman. Not me. You need to read the whole thread.

And LT. What was so wrong with my criticism of McCarthy? Its his job to coach the team isnt it? And he not only has not fixed the problems on the defense, they have gotten worse. Its almost like you took offense to what I said. Why are you so quick to defend McCarthy and deflect the blame to Sherman?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
MidwestFavreFan said:

`

Zero2cool, all I said was Im getting tired of McCarthy SAYING they need to get things fixed instead of actually fixing them. Then LT quoted and replied to my post with the dreaded and outdated Sherman excuse. LT brought up Sherman. Not me. You need to read the whole thread.

And LT. What was so wrong with my criticism of McCarthy? Its his job to coach the team isnt it? And he not only has not fixed the problems on the defense, they have gotten worse. Its almost like you took offense to what I said. Why are you so quick to defend McCarthy and deflect the blame to Sherman?

I did say I agreed and think EVERYONE is mad its not being fixed...the talk is cheap yes...To say Sherman's DRAFTS have no affect on this team is ridiculous..This is the youngest team in the league and that is not MM's fault...
Last year during the season I was one of the biggest Sherman defenders, like lot of people here..He got team to playoffs, etc...But more I looked into it I changed my mind on him..

Maybe that will come with MM, who knows, but I can not blame everything on MM RIGHT NOW.

There is talk about moving around DE and phasing KGB out..thats a change..

Point is he can teach the proper way to do things, and they might be the best ways to do it, might be EXACTLY how WAlsh, or Holmgren would teach it.... but if the PLAYERS can not do it, wont listen and apply those ideas what good is it? So that in a sense is not MM's fault since he did not bring those players in..

Everyone likes to say they are making mistakes cuz of youth, and changes have to be made there..

Well tell me how many mistakes, KGB, Barnett, Harris, Favre, Green have had? Those are not ROOKIES those are very very experinced VETS, and SHOULD not be making mistakes..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Corey Willimas replacing KGB , thats a big change...

coaches have talked to the players and they understand what is going to happen..

interesting quote from KGB

"When they run at me, I don't do that much work, I just stay in position and the play comes at me," Gbaja-Biamila said. "You get tired when you have to chase the play . . . To me running is like a rest opportunity, not that I'm resting.

"It's a rest mentality in that I'm not exerting as much energy because all I have to do is (rely on) more my strength."

~~~~
I can understand what he is talking aobut , but LETTING the play come to him?? Is that what he is taught to do, or shouild he be chasing down the play??

Someone help me out here....this makes no real sense to me at all...

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Point is he can teach the proper way to do things, and they might be the best ways to do it, might be EXACTLY how WAlsh, or Holmgren would teach it.... but if the PLAYERS can not do it, wont listen and apply those ideas what good is it? So that in a sense is not MM's fault since he did not bring those players in..

So you're saying if he cant get the players to listen to him, it is not his fault? You're kidding right?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

So you're saying if he cant get the players to listen to him, it is not his fault? You're kidding right?

I see how you MISUNDERSTOOD my point..You focused just on the NOT LISTENING part and forgot the other points I made..

You are correct tho, if the players do not or cant listen to him, he needs to either change how he does things or get someone who can do it..But THAT was not REALLY my point..

If Mm and staff are teaching the guys EXACTLY the way it is suppose to be done, and no matter what, certain players just can not grasp it, you blame the coach or get rid of the player?

For me the blame should be mostly on the player, but a coach can tweak his teaching ways or SHOULD at least try to tweak it to help players out....but still not compromising what he has in mind for the TEAM...

How many times has it been said Fergy could not understand the playbook when he was drafted? Even Brett during that seaosn had said some players cant understand the play book..If they cant understand that how can they perform?

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Mm and staff are teaching the guys EXACTLY the way it is suppose to be done, and no matter what, certain players just can not grasp it, you blame the coach or get rid of the player?
I blame the coach for not cutting the player. One way or the other MM has to figure it out. No matter what, its the coaches responsibility.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I blame the coach for not cutting the player. One way or the other MM has to figure it out. No matter what, its the coaches responsibility.

:agree: so he isnt cutting players...wonder why then??

Maybe there isnt anyone to replace a cut player? and why isnt there any one to take that spot..

Depth would seem the reason why...

and why isnt there any depth??

:roll: :?:

If you see where I am going, then maybe you can understand my viewpoint along with others that feel the same..

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So were last in the league in defense because we dont have any depth. And that Mike Shermans fault? Sherman the GM has been gone for 2 years and its his fault that were last in defense. Thats laughable.

Thompson is the one that signed Manuel, but I guess thats Shermans fault too? MM is the one that hired Schottenheimer. Is that Shermans fault?

You really need to give up on this Sherman excuse. Im starting to think youre just messing with me.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So were last in the league in defense because we dont have any depth. And that Mike Shermans fault? Sherman the GM has been gone for 2 years and its his fault that were last in defense. Thats laughable.

Thompson is the one that signed Manuel, but I guess thats Shermans fault too? MM is the one that hired Schottenheimer. Is that Shermans fault?

You really need to give up on this Sherman excuse. Im starting to think youre just messing with me.

of course Manuel is not Shermans fault....And of course it isnt Shermans fault how the team performs on game day..Sherman had an impact on this team that is there now like it ir not, but its true..

partial reason for lack of depth

look at 2001 to 2004 ..27 total players drafted and only about 3 players that are really doing anything NOW from those years...

While there look at 2000 Wolfs last real solo draft......there are 4 players JUST from that one draft that are doing something for the team now...

To say Shermans draft has no bearings on this team is just crazy...only 2 maybe 3 players from those drafts are starting on the D...If he would have hit on some more players in those drafts things might be lot different now...

MM can not do anything or make REAL personal changes when the depth is not built up yet...And to build depth take a while...

That is how I see things..

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM can make coaching changes. You can argue that's its perhaps too early to make those changes or perhaps MM doesnt believe that thats the problem and therefore doesnt need to make a change. While I agree that MM's hands are tied as regards the roster, I dont agree that that means he cant make any changes.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
MM can make coaching changes. You can argue that's its perhaps too early to make those changes or perhaps MM doesnt believe that thats the problem and therefore doesnt need to make a change. While I agree that MM's hands are tied as regards the roster, I dont agree that that means he cant make any changes.

He can make plenty of changes with the coaches, but to let them go now isnt the right thing to do..He can also maybe change the way he is calling plays for the O side..but I think he has handed over the control of the D to Sanders, and we will see how the KGB thing works outs.

now I really hope Shot is gone and if he isnt then I will be more then a tad upset

Members online