Packers tried to trade for Jonathan Taylor

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think they plan to run the ball a lot this season and they anticipate not having either Jones or Dillon back next year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprised. Johnny T is not better than Aaron Jones. He was really good, but I don't see the need. Must have been for a really low ball offer. Maybe someone we were cutting anyway?

Must mean we are planning on running the ball a bit this season. I'm cool with that. Take a bit of pressure off Love.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 years younger than Jones who is 28...better?! Not right now but in 2 years i would invest the capital...

Reaction score
Run the ball??!!

I’m just going to bite my tongue it’s been a weird day I don’t need any more stress!

Aaron Jones and Jon Taylor with Dillon as our 3rd would be by far the most dangerous backfield in the NFL.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO it was a lowball offer. IMO they have received offers for Dillon and would have traded him if they acquired Taylor.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Surprised. Johnny T is not better than Aaron Jones. He was really good, but I don't see the need. Must have been for a really low ball offer. Maybe someone we were cutting anyway?

Must mean we are planning on running the ball a bit this season. I'm cool with that. Take a bit of pressure off Love.
Everyone seems to be going towards small fast LB's and really good defensive tackles are hard to come by. Ram the ball down their throat and use play action is the game to play with an inexperienced QB.

Reaction score
1) Jones is still the better overall player, but Taylor is a more explosive pure runner when he’s healthy.

2) This would have been, if it happened, about Dillon, not Jones.
Yeah and ironically that’s how it started in a sense. I’m near positive that Taylor was also squarely in our crosshairs in Round 2 of the 2020, draft but got picked much earlier than our selection of Dillon. He’d already be a Packer if he had made it anywhere near 60 overall imo.

Taylor is 1 year removed from a 2000+ All Pro. Pound for pound he’s a better RB than Aaron Jones, although less a notable injury concern which could devalue him. Taylor is also younger and has less miles. Aaron Jones cracks a top 10 RB in any given year whereas Taylor cracks top 5.

I suspect Taylor wants to be paid commensurate with his production and the Colts would want more than a future late Rounder, neither of which we’d be too excited with. Brian was just doing due diligence and it got blown out of proportion.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think Gute probably explored it as an opportunity to add a blue chip player of a caliber that normally doesn’t his the market. Typically you don’t want to pay running backs, but if you’re going to then you want it to be an elite player and they would be buying ~ age 25-27. If you’re gonna do it, that’s how you do it.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Run the ball??!!

I’m just going to bite my tongue it’s been a weird day I don’t need any more stress!

Aaron Jones and Jon Taylor with Dillon as our 3rd would be by far the most dangerous backfield in the NFL.

3 headed monster
From what I have read, it sounds like Dillon would have been part of the trade for JT.

I'm glad that it didn't happen. I do love JT, but the kind of money and draft assets it would have taken to get him and then lock him in for another 4 years? I just don't see doing that for a RB, even JT.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And it goes through the O line. I don't think we have the O line to play smash mouth or even up the gut consistently especially in short yardage. But we have good backs and will run the ball effectively. imho. Creative play calling inside the 20 will get us there. I am in favor of using Jones more near the goal line though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And it goes through the O line. I don't think we have the O line to play smash mouth or even up the gut consistently especially in short yardage. But we have good backs and will run the ball effectively. imho. Creative play calling inside the 20 will get us there. I am in favor of using Jones more near the goal line though.
I agree about the Packers not being built for smash mouth football. However, I do think our O-Line is better than it seems to be getting credited for. I prefer an OL that is above average at both run and pass blocking, which I think is what we have in GB. All that said, Jonathan Taylor would probably be a very good back for the Packers, but I wouldn't have wanted the Packers giving up the resources it would require to have both him and Jones running the ball.

One article I read did make some sense of it though. Both AJ's might be gone after this season, due to an expiring contract (Dillon) and last year contract with a big cap hit ($17.7M) with Aaron Jones. Had the trade been done, it would have been getting Taylor in advance of potentially needing someone like him in 2024. Maybe had it been Dillon and a day 3 pick, along with a decent reworked contract, might have been worth it. Guessing JT is looking for a lot of guaranteed money, as well as one of the top RB per year deals. I'll take my chances on finding RB's in 2024 and beyond.

Reaction score
There’s only a handful of teams that can boast a substantially better run block grade. (Ravens/Eagles/KC etc) We have 2 players returning from last year that ranked in the top 8 in the NFL. I think it’s an area we are severely underestimated. That doesn’t even factor the problems teams would face with Jon Taylor and Aaron Jones together and they would absolutely, positively punish teams or make them go off balance and over commit. I also believe Rhyan is a really good Run blocking Guard and he’s not even factored here. Our Center is our only weakness and I don’t think he’s as bad as we make him out to be, just a disappointment because he’s not a top 10 Center and that’s what we’re accustomed.

But I strongly disagree about our OL imo. You’re just not used to us focusing on that aspect because who was under Center.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just reported by ESPN, the Packers were one of the teams that were in talks with the Colts for Jonathan Taylor. I take "in talks" to mean more than "just called to ask about"; curious what others think that means cause I gotta be honest, Gute seems to value running backs a little more highly than I like.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38290790/packers-talked-jonathan-taylor-trade-colts-sources-say
Not sure what he is thinking. Is this going to be a pound pound offense? Is the game plan to throw to the backs ala Hornung and Taylor? Is he concerned about being able to punch it in from the 3 yard line? Or is it picking up blitzes?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree about the Packers not being built for smash mouth football. However, I do think our O-Line is better than it seems to be getting credited for. I prefer an OL that is above average at both run and pass blocking, which I think is what we have in GB. All that said, Jonathan Taylor would probably be a very good back for the Packers, but I wouldn't have wanted the Packers giving up the resources it would require to have both him and Jones running the ball.

One article I read did make some sense of it though. Both AJ's might be gone after this season, due to an expiring contract (Dillon) and last year contract with a big cap hit ($17.7M) with Aaron Jones. Had the trade been done, it would have been getting Taylor in advance of potentially needing someone like him in 2024. Maybe had it been Dillon and a day 3 pick, along with a decent reworked contract, might have been worth it. Guessing JT is looking for a lot of guaranteed money, as well as one of the top RB per year deals. I'll take my chances on finding RB's in 2024 and beyond.
Yes, there is talent on the offensive side of the ball. But because of the youth there will be growing pains especially in crunch time.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have an issue trying to trade for JT, but he seems one-dimensional, which means I'm capping what I'm willing to offer in trade--not a receiving threat, not a good pass protector.

Dillion is a better 3rd down back, and he's not a great one. He's ready and willing to block and while not a threat, he at least has decent hands.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes, there is talent on the offensive side of the ball. But because of the youth there will be growing pains especially in crunch time.
I'd say that the offensive line is pretty seasoned, but you are right, the receiving group (TE and WR's) is very green.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There’s only a handful of teams that can boast a substantially better run block grade.
I don't trust any of these grades that you guys find. So yes, I go more with what I see. And GB has not been real good at pounding it for a first down. If I see a lot of pushing D lines off the ball; I'll change my mind. I said that I thought we will have a good running game. It just needs to happen by calling proper plays and keeping the defense a bit confused imho. And having two good and different type backs helps a lot.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both AJ's might be gone after this season, due to an expiring contract (Dillon) and last year contract with a big cap hit ($17.7M) with Aaron Jones.
Dillon might be difficult depending how good he does this year. Aaron Jones has shown that he will re-negotiate his contract if the next year looks out of line. He probably knew that the day he signed his contract. No hard feelings from that guy. Hopefully he is able to continue to play at his accustomed level. And we keep him that long too. Someday it might come to year to year contracts.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Aaron Jones has shown that he will re-negotiate his contract if the next year looks out of line.
The "problem" with Jones, is that the Packers will find themselves with $12.348M of dead cap for Jones next year. So sure, they can keep hoping that Jones will play for a team friendly price, but if he is still performing like a top 10 RB, he's not going to pay for peanuts. So let's say he agrees to sign a 4 year, $10M/season, with $20M guaranteed. The Packers will have him on the books with a dead cap hit of $32.348M, over 4 years. Throw in the non-guaranteed portion of the Contract and now you need to figure out a way to account for $52.348M over 4 years ($13.087M/year).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't trust any of these grades that you guys find. So yes, I go more with what I see. And GB has not been real good at pounding it for a first down. If I see a lot of pushing D lines off the ball; I'll change my mind. I said that I thought we will have a good running game. It just needs to happen by calling proper plays and keeping the defense a bit confused imho. And having two good and different type backs helps a lot.
I assume you watch the other 31 teams as well? Since that is what grades are based on, all 32 teams offensive lines. I do know what you are saying, "based on my eye test, they aren't that great." I say the same thing about our CB's and then I find out that they really aren't as bad as I think.