Packers Hire New Defensive Coordinator: Jeff Hafley, formerly Head Coach, Boston College

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a good question. Does anyone know the pay range for a DC? I'm sure it's gonna range to the low end for a guy like Hafley w no NFL experience, to someone like Spagnola in KC who is very good and seems happy to stay in that role. I don't know the answer.

Now a BC HC making $4mil doesn't surprise me.
I don't know whether he will be a good DC or not. But he does have NFL experience. He's coached on several teams.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At first upon hearing the news of the hire, I was like who, what!? But having read up on this guy, I think it might end up being an excellent hire. Not just change of schemes and philosophy, but everything points to a DC who will put his players in the best position to succeed, minimizing their weaknesses while promoting their strengths.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per H.P. Lovecraft, it's a name that is literally impossible for humans to pronounce. The nearest any human can come is as such: klahl-hloo with each character, including both "h's" clearly annunciated. Good luck!
Try living in Hawaii for a few years, where the native language requires you to pronounce every single letter and the state fish is the humuhumunukunukuapuaʻa.

Which, I'm sure I don't need to explain, is Hawaiian for "triggerfish with a snout like a wild boar".

OUpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I mean a lot of these guys are in pretty solid positions already and they have a history of moving around and up - because they are sought after usually. It seems like every OC, DC, and HC knows a lotto other coaches and/or worked with them at the same place. Are friendships formed? Well I hope so.
I think NIL in the college game is driving coaches to look for NFL jobs as well.
I think he will be a good DC for us, but only time will show that.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think NIL in the college game is driving coaches to look for NFL jobs as well.
It absolutely is pushing coaches away. You now have a college football system where only maybe a dozen teams have a chance to win championships. You're going to see the same 12 teams in the playoffs every single year. Everyone else is the farm system. Not only do schools like BC have to recruit new players, they now have RE-RECRUIT their existing players. It's a rigged game and no wonder guys want out. You're going to see the number of coaches fleeing college go up exponentially over the next few seasons if they don't figure it out.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like it might make learning pronunciation less confusing?
I could see where that would be true for a native speaker, but damn, was it difficult for an American English speaker to get his head wrapped around it. Because to make it worse, ecery vowel has only one sound in Hawaiian - "A" is pronounced something like "ah", "E" is pronounced more like "eh", "I" is pronounced something like a long "E" ("see, be..."), "O" is "oh", and "U" is "uh".

Because each vowel is always only pronounced one way, they have to use combinations of vowels to make a lot of sounds that we just handle by pronouncing vowels differently in different words. For a long "I" sound, you use "ai", for a long "A" sound you use "ei" (but stilldistoinctly pronouncing both letters, albiet very subtly), and about a dozen other combinations like that.

I actualy did get pretty good at it while I was there, so maybe in a roundabout way it actually is an easier language to learn. Because I'm not good with languages. I guess the pronunciations are actually pretty simple to understand; the hard part is teaching your mouth to make those strange sounds, and memorizing how to combine the vowels.

Not to mention, remembering how many syllables there are in words like humuhumunukunukuapuaʻa.

OUpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It absolutely is pushing coaches away. You now have a college football system where only maybe a dozen teams have a chance to win championships. You're going to see the same 12 teams in the playoffs every single year. Everyone else is the farm system. Not only do schools like BC have to recruit new players, they now have RE-RECRUIT their existing players. It's a rigged game and no wonder guys want out. You're going to see the number of coaches fleeing college go up exponentially over the next few seasons if they don't figure it out.
Totally agree and I hate the new system. It is pay for play even if the powers to be don’t want to admit it.
Ohio State spent close to 15 million to land their portal additions this offseason, Tennessee paid an OL with no starting experience 1 million, and Lane Kiffin and Deion Sanders are running their rosters like the NFL.
I love college football but it is being ruined.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Between NIL and the transfer portal madness, I don't know how any coach has the time to even do any coaching anymore. I have slightly mixed feelings, because the transfer portal seems to be helping the Badgers a lot, but I think it's destoying the game overall.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see where that would be true for a native speaker, but damn, was it difficult for an American English speaker to get his head wrapped around it. Because to make it worse, ecery vowel has only one sound in Hawaiian - "A" is pronounced something like "ah", "E" is pronounced more like "eh", "I" is pronounced something like a long "E" ("see, be..."), "O" is "oh", and "U" is "uh".
Oh, I'm sure it's crazy difficult. I'm just saying it could be worse, because at least the vowels don't have different pronunciations like English does. I don't know anything about Hawaiian, but it sounds like if the word was written down, you could look at it and figure out how it was pronounced. Which isn't always the case with English.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NIL really changes the game for these coaches. It will also change the college game. Those powerhouse SEC schools may not be as attractive as schools in the Northeast or the West Coast with big media markets.

Anyway, as far as Hafley - he's got a good pedigree and has coached an entire defense. And apparently it was key that he would take the talent in place and maximize that, rather than force fit guys into a "system". Probably means we'll see JA playing man on an opponent's best receiver rather than sitting back in a prevent zone.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Which isn't always the case with English.
Current English is so difficult because it has adopted words from many other languages. Half the geographic features in Wisconsin are American interpretations of French interpretations of whatever Native dialect they were talking to when they asked for the name. Let alone the immigration influx that added many words and pronunciations. Example the LL in flotilla vs tortilla.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Try living in Hawaii for a few years, where the native language requires you to pronounce every single letter and the state fish is the humuhumunukunukuapuaʻa.

Which, I'm sure I don't need to explain, is Hawaiian for "triggerfish with a snout like a wild boar".

Just call it a huma huma trigger and be done with it.

at least that's what Dr. Hfuhruhurr told me to call it.

I'm pretty sure his true friends refer to him as Brian. I don't call my friends by their last name.
I'm Brian.

Never ever let a chance to reference Monty Python go to waste.

Oh, and "never called me by my name just hillbilly."

Along that vein, him being a buddy of Matt's isn't necessarily an end all/be all. It'll make people nervous, sure, because Barry's hire fell along the same tenuous line ... that McVey coaching tree thing - I get it.
I've heard of reports that they were not really buddies so what is the truth. My guess is they've crossed paths a few times and may have worked under some of the same people but have they ever worked with each other. I'm sure they have mutual friends but like someone else said I doubt they go to each others kids birthday parties. Seems to me it's blown out of proportion.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well you’re right about a top 12 and then everything else.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we got Holmgren's Super Bowl with the 4-3, then switched to the 3-4 to get McCarthy's. Hopefully switching back will yield another one. I'm actually more hopeful about that possibility than I've been in years.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Between NIL and the transfer portal madness, I don't know how any coach has the time to even do any coaching anymore. I have slightly mixed feelings, because the transfer portal seems to be helping the Badgers a lot, but I think it's destoying the game overall.
Not a Badger fan, but if I was I would still consider it ill-gotten gains. IMO, any player who gets massive NIL money should have to pay for their own tuition and the scholarship can go to some non-athlete who needs it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should have just left it at you can just transfer the next season and play instead of waiting the season. But as far as the money goes, with all the money to Big Time coaches make, it was a matter of time before athletes got paid too

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a Badger fan, but if I was I would still consider it ill-gotten gains. IMO, any player who gets massive NIL money should have to pay for their own tuition and the scholarship can go to some non-athlete who needs it.
I like that solution, as a starting point at least. I'd even say that if these students use the transfer portal to jump ship and collect majpr NIL money in the middle of their college careers, the scholarship that's already been paid out gets clawed back and allocated to an academic or special needs scholarship fund - so that the institution as a whole, and the fortiunate athletes, share some of their success with their less-fortunate classmates.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, now these kids can afford their own tutors. Most of these guys will probably only go where the money is and not care about an education, SADLY. We are about to see a whole new level of stupidity.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts