Packers Hire New Defensive Coordinator: Jeff Hafley, formerly Head Coach, Boston College

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Reports are that he and Lafluer are friends. He couldn't have hired Shanahan since he struggles beating him? Just kidding... the guy has to have something...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Initial thoughts on the hire were split.
“He’s a really good defensive coach. Don’t let his track record at BC fool you,” one scout said via text message. Another, however, said, “Man, not a good choice.”
In his debut season in 2020, Hafley helped improve Boston College’s defense improve 52 spots in total defense. During his one season at Ohio State in 2019 as co-defensive coordinator, the Buckeyes moved from 72nd to first nationally in yards allowed per play. He was named 247 Sports’ Coordinator of the Year for his efforts.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding his resume, he moved around in a short time. He got the DC job at Ohio State which shows something. He did so well in one season as DC he got a HC gig in Boston. He elevated the Ohio state defense from the 70s ranking to No. 1 in a single season.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...them&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Justis Mosqueda of Acme Packing Co. would also note that during Hafley’s time in Cleveland, one of his assistant defensive back coaches was Bobby Babich, who the Packers also interviewed, and current Packers safeties coach Ryan Downard was also on that staff.

Thamel adds that Hafley is a “longtime” friend of Matt LaFleur’s and a longtime “admirer” of the Packers’ organization. ...
It is not yet known what style of defense Hafley will run in Green Bay, but for what it’s worth, Boston College did a run a 4-3, as does Salah, who Hafley last coached under on the defensive side of the ball when in the NFL.

“Some or all” of the Packers’ current defensive coaching staff could be retained under Hafley, reported Thamel.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have little choice but to wait and see and hope he is good. I wonder if he brings along any other coaches. I like that I've read he likes to play press and likes a roaming safety. I have wanted a center fielder back there. Although some say that is totally pase. I don't know about that but I would like someone with speed and smarts back there helping to break up passes and maybe get a few picks. I'll be bummed if he wants to keep Campbell instead of drafting a new guy.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2024/01/31/report-packers-hire-boston-college-coach-jeff-hafley-as-defensive-coordinator/72413229007/
Hafley was defensive backs coach in San Francisco under former defensive coordinator and current New York Jets coach Robert Saleh, who is one of LaFleur's best friends. ... Hafley also worked in San Francisco when LaFleur's brother, Mike, was an assistant coach. Packers college scouting director Matt Malaspina also was there with Hafley, so LaFleur might have gotten information from them as well....Hafley also worked under former Packers defensive coordinator Mike Pettine in Cleveland for two seasons (2014-'15). One of Pettine's assistants at the time was Ryan Downard, who is now LaFleur's defensive backs coach.
Hafley's position at Boston College was not secure, according to a source close to the program. He might not have made it past this season where it not for the team going 6-6 and making it to the Fenway Bowl, where the Eagles beat No. 24 SMU, 24-13.

Prior to that victory, BC had lost three straight conference games. The source said Hafley had two years remaining on his contract at roughly $400,000 per year. His 2024 season wasn't shaping up very well either because he was losing key parts of his team to graduation, the source added.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I heard he ran a 4-3 at BC. I wonder if going to a 4-3 from a 3-4 will have big improvement.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding his resume, he moved around in a short time. He got the DC job at Ohio State which shows something. He did so well in one season as DC he got a HC gig in Boston. He elevated the Ohio state defense from the 70s ranking to No. 1 in a single season.
He was co-defensive coordinator at Ohio St, so I hope it was more him than the other guy who took them from #70 to #1.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me it's not "upset," but it's definitely got me nervous. I don't think that's absurd at all, even if you disagree - it carries a possibility of confirmation bias as well as loyalty that can affect decision-making. Not saying thats a guarantee, but if you've ever worked in environments where nepotistic or familiarity-based hiring is normalized, you might not be so quick to denigrate that feeling. And no, this isn't personal bitterness talking, just observation.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For me it's not "upset," but it's definitely got me nervous. I don't think that's absurd at all, even if you disagree - it carries a possibility of confirmation bias as well as loyalty that can affect decision-making. Not saying thats a guarantee, but if you've ever worked in environments where nepotistic or familiarity-based hiring is normalized, you might not be so quick to denigrate that feeling. And no, this isn't personal bitterness talking, just observation.

Hiring under-qualified buddies or family does happen on occasion, but it’s generally rare. In an industry as small as pro football, relationships are going to precede the majority of hires. This is very normal in many industries. Where I work, we always prefer to hire people we already know and it’s worked amazingly well. Hiring guys you don’t know arguably carries more risk as you don’t know how compatible you’ll be, as with Brian Daboll and Wink Martindale.

Overall, it’s silly to me that people get so nervous about something that’s so common and inherently carries more benefits than risks.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hiring under-qualified buddies or family does happen on occasion, but it’s generally rare. In an industry as small as pro football, relationships are going to precede the majority of hires. This is very normal in many industries. Where I work, we always prefer to hire people we already know and it’s worked amazingly well. Hiring guys you don’t know arguably carries more risk as you don’t know how compatible you’ll be, as with Brian Daboll and Wink Martindale.

Overall, it’s silly to me that people get so nervous about something that’s so common and inherently carries more benefits than risks.
I can hear you - but for sure I look differently at the Rich Bisaccia hire (no pre-existing relationship) vs the Joe Barry hire (reportedly "good friends"). I would be more comfortable if MLF had a visible track record of excellent hiring/retention decisions at this level. Maybe he's learning, I don't know, we'll certainly see, and Im not quick on the trigger personally. But many Packers fans, including me, also have held concerns about Aaron Rodgers adopting similar attitudes toward bringing "his guys" along with him - not precisely a hiring process, but analogous in terms of leaning too ******* familiarity - so it's not so far-fetched even in the small industry of the NFL. But we each get two cents on this.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he'll be great, I'm absolutely willing to reserve judgment and see, but I gotta be honest the "good friend of LaFleur" line popping up in these reports has me very, very nervous.
Maybe he's a good choice, but it does reek of nepotism a bit. Is he really a top tier DC candidate or is it about MLF liking to create a coaching clique of his buddies?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can hear you - but for sure I look differently at the Rich Bisaccia hire (no pre-existing relationship) vs the Joe Barry hire (reportedly "good friends"). I would be more comfortable if MLF had a visible track record of excellent hiring/retention decisions at this level. Maybe he's learning, I don't know, we'll certainly see, and Im not quick on the trigger personally. But many Packers fans, including me, also have held concerns about Aaron Rodgers adopting similar attitudes toward bringing "his guys" along with him - not precisely a hiring process, but analogous in terms of leaning too ******* familiarity - so it's not so far-fetched even in the small industry of the NFL. But we each get two cents on this.

I love Rich but to be fair in special team rankings has GB faired better there than defensively really?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I am sorry for being condescending.