Packers Hire New Defensive Coordinator: Jeff Hafley, formerly Head Coach, Boston College

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This makes me wonder if we made the right choice...
This is an article by a disgruntled BC fan. So what? Why would anyone blame him for not wanting to be a farm team for Alabama, Michigan and Texas? College football is a mess and as far as how good BC is or isn't, BC has never been a football powerhouse and never will be.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to say. I thought he was HC at BC for four years, this makes it sound like two. Maybe HC was too big for him, not that DC in the NFL is easy, especially in GB where there have been a series of failures. Expectations will be, should be high. I do understand that there are many more variables to manage in college - NIL, the alum, scouting and recruiting, and on. But again, the NFL isn't exactly forgiving.

No one really seems to know this guy. I haven't read much in the JS about him. Well, let's hope MLF got this pick right. This team is too talented to not expect the very best at all of the coaching positions. And given the high expectations, the pressure will be high, starting..... well right now.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to say. I thought he was HC at BC for four years, this makes it sound like two. Maybe HC was too big for him, not that DC in the NFL is easy, especially in GB where there have been a series of failures. Expectations will be, should be high. I do understand that there are many more variables to manage in college - NIL, the alum, scouting and recruiting, and on. But again, the NFL isn't exactly forgiving.

No one really seems to know this guy. I haven't read much in the JS about him. Well, let's hope MLF got this pick right. This team is too talented to not expect the very best at all of the coaching positions. And given the high expectations, the pressure will be high, starting..... well right now.
Well, he certainly has his chance. And he knows he is not following a long line of great DCs. Whereas Jordan Love knows what his predecessors accomplished.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything he as stated sounds like a guy that found no enjoyment in being a head coach at the collegiate level for the demands placed on him that had nothing to do with x's and o's which seems like he greatly missed.

I'm sure he is not alone in his lack of passion for wanting to deal with NIL.

I'm looking forward even more into seeing what he does with the defense.

And to the person that wrote that article. Sorry, you're Boston College. Historically you are a 6 or 7 win team. Not like he dragged you to the depths of despair.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't know this guy or anything about him when he was picked, but the more I hear and read, and after his press conference, I think it possible that the Packers may have knocked it out of the park with the selection.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything he as stated sounds like a guy that found no enjoyment in being a head coach at the collegiate level for the demands placed on him that had nothing to do with x's and o's which seems like he greatly missed.

And to the person that wrote that article. Sorry, you're Boston College. Historically you are a 6 or 7 win team. Not like he dragged you to the depths of despair.
Yeah the guy that wrote that article seemed over the top in his criticism. Too much of a college coach's job is administivia. Who needs it, especially now with NIL and the transfer portal. Give him chance. New ideas are certainly welcome. Hell, playing within 10 yards of the LOS is welcome.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I think we're going to see more of this. If you're going to deal with pro players, why deal with minor leaguers when you can go to the big leagues.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we're going to see more of this. If you're going to deal with pro players, why deal with minor leaguers when you can go to the big leagues.
I think the bigger deal is the transfer portal being seemingly unlimited. I think most coaches can deal with players getting paid, and yes, some will transfer for more NIL. However, if the transfers are limited to one without sitting, that would make some of this ****show a lot more controlled. Players would have to really think about it before transferring if they only knew they were getting 1 freebie.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score

Being a HC is todays college football is a 24/7 job. Gotta keep up on recruiting, the transfer portal, NIL ect. That is why Nick Saban called it quits.

Bring NFL coach you just focus on coaching.

GB2016

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is very interesting that he left a lot of money on the table. He had 3 years left on his BC contract at around 3.5 million a year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
College football is a mess
Couldn't agree more. Between the Transfer portal and NIL money, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Basically, College Football has declared every player to be a free agent and being able to transfer to whatever school can pay them the most and/or gives them a chance to shine on a proven winner.

The lessor teams are going to need to start hoping for diamonds in the rough and a lot of improvement between years, to players who want to stay at that school.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
It is very interesting that he left a lot of money on the table. He had 3 years left on his BC contract at around 3.5 million a year.
Supposedly he was on the hot seat. He left before he was probably going to be fired mid season coming up.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hafley held his first presser in GB yesterday. Some good takeaways.

He has said he likes to play a lot of zone. Let's hope he gets his guys to execute better than Barry, and not take "zone" to mean "30 yards off the LOS" or as the Onion put it, 20 million light years from the LOS. That's an exaggeration, but not much. It seemed like the perimeter corners were giving up way too much room at the LOS, and almost never playing bump and run. Seems like that should be reversed.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've wondered about that too. When he was first hired, I did a lot of googling, and there have been a number of articles like that over the last year or two. In October of last year, he was really under the gun, but they snapped a really ugly losing streak just in time and the noise died down. But the bottom line is, their defense was very, very disappointing for most of his tenure there, and that's a concerning thing for a coach who's supposed to be our defensive messiah. Even if he is not directly responsible for the defense, you'd kind of hope he'd maybe hand down some of his wisdom and philosophy to the staff.

But the way I look at it, a head coach position at the college level today is a 100-hour a week job, and maybe he just did not have the time and energy to work very closely with the defensive coaches. With this transfer portal ********, and the fact that BC is a really low priority option for premium recruits in the first place, it's probably very difficult to maintain any kind of talent level.

He lost a number of good players through the portal last year, and while he got some transfers back, the talent level does not appear to be the same. It looks as though the players leaving the team were just using BC as a means of improving their chances of catching on with a higher-tier D1 team, while the players coming in were transferring to BC because they weren't getting enough playing time at stronger schools. If that really was the trend, Hafley was always going to struggle to compete in a tough conference.

And, last but not least, maybe jumping up to a head coach gig was just a rung too high on the peter principle ladder. There's no shame in that. There are a lot of excellent coordinators who just never succeed as a head coach, and terrific position coaches who shouldn't have become coordinators. Which is why there was even an open position for Hafley here in Green Bay.

I'm really excited about Hafley. I've found a lot of stuff about him, listened to him on Youtube and podcasts, and everything I've heard from him and read about him tells me he's going to play an aggressive, hard-hitting, harrassing defense, an intelligent defense, similar to what we see in the Niners and the Seattle "Legion of Boom" defense. If Gute can get a couple of the right linebackers to make it work, and strengthen the safety and CB corps a little, I think we're going to see some good things over the next year or two.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has said he likes to play a lot of zone. Let's hope he gets his guys to execute better than Barry, and not take "zone" to mean "30 yards off the LOS"
I thought early reports were he preferred man to man, but believed in tailoring the scheme to the personnel.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought early reports were he preferred man to man, but believed in tailoring the scheme to the personnel.
That's what he often says. He wants his DBs to harass the reciever right from the snap - punch him at the line, get in front of him, get your hands on him, throw off his timing, don't let him do anything he wants to do. Everything he tries to do, make him do someting else instead, so that when the quarterback has to make his decision, the play just isn't what he was expecting it to be, and now he has to throw a perfect ball instead of an easier pass. Frustrate, interfere, anticipate his route and take it away from him every single step of the way.

So even when they're not playing press, they'll be playing aggressively and limiting the WR's options as much as possible.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what he often says. He wants his DBs to harass the reciever right from the snap - punch him at the line, get in front of him, get your hands on him, throw off his timing, don't let him do anything he wants to do. Everything he tries to do, make him do someting else instead, so that when the quarterback has to make his decision, the play just isn't what he was expecting it to be, and now he has to throw a perfect ball instead of an easier pass. Frustrate, interfere, anticipate his route and take it away from him every single step of the way.

So even when they're not playing press, they'll be playing aggressively and limiting the WR's options as much as possible.
Well 13 to both you and rmontro I certainly hope this is true. Especially with athletic corners, disrupt the WR at the LOS or in the first five yards as rmontro notes, and slow them down, even a fraction of a second.

Very possible I misread an article or maybe was thinking of a comment. We know those can all be incorrect sometimes!

I think the CBs are athletic. JA leads that group, I thought Stokes was a fast, athletic player and hope that's true, and Gluten will certainly boost the secondary in the draft or FA. So yeah, get in the receiver's face from the snap.

It's going to be hard to see what Hafley will run until we see it. I never heard of the guy before this. I'm just happy Barry is gone.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very possible I misread an article or maybe was thinking of a comment. We know those can all be incorrect sometimes!
I certainly don't know what he's going to run. I just heard a news story early on saying he favored man to man, and I wondered how that squared with the comments in your article. One thing they were saying about the man to man, was that it might make Jaire Alexander happier.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly don't know what he's going to run. I just heard a news story early on saying he favored man to man, and I wondered how that squared with the comments in your article. One thing they were saying about the man to man, was that it might make Jaire Alexander happier.
Because Jaire likes to talk trash...perfectly viable. Sounds like a Basketball D to me. He is already on my hot seat...lol

Look no further than the English Premier underwear League to find coaches cycling through teams. Incessant jabbing of the english is always flavorful. lol

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you go man to man the safeties have to be prepared for someone to break coverage.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to me that defenses rarely use one type of lineup or strategy consistently. Good example is the 3-4 versus the 4-3. Maybe I don't know what to look for, but I rarely see players lined up exactly like that.

Sort of the same for zone v man. It's certainly possible to do both but that seems prone to breakdowns. My general rule is that talented CBs should be playing man. I'd much rather see JA lined up against the opponents' #1 WR.

The one thing Hafley did say that I liked is that he wants guys attacking the football. Seems kinda obvious. Wouldn't all DCs say that? It is true though that some teams just seem to play faster than others. Maybe it has to do with the athleticism of the team. Maybe it's an individual thing. Micah Parsons always seems to be around the ball carrier.

As long as Hafley shows an ability to adjust during the game and at half time, that D should be fine. Until MLF shook his cage, Barry was unreasonably stubborn in sticking with game plans that weren't working. That needs to change.

Members online

Latest posts