Official Pack vs Niners

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I've read a few sports pundits and plenty of 9ers fans who are saying that the Kaepernick experiment is a bust and it's time to move on from the guy. Since I don't know his salary situation well enough I can't comment on it from that angle.
Here are the details of Kaepernick’s contract according to rotoworld:
6/4/2014: Signed a seven-year, $126.97 million contract. The deal contains $61 million guaranteed, although only $13.073 was guaranteed at signing -- a $12,328,766 signing bonus, Kaepernick's 2014 base salary, and a $100,000 first-year workout bonus. Kaepernick's 2015-2017 base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. Kaepernick is eligible for annual $2 million per-game roster bonuses and offseason workout bonuses of $400,000 in years two through seven. 2015: $12.4 million, 2016: $13.9 million, 2017: $16.5 million, 2018: $17 million, 2019: $18.8 million, 2020: $21 million, 2021: Free Agent
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6530/colin-kaepernick

So contract-wise they can catapult him after this season and incur “only” about an $8.8M cap hit (5 years accelerated signing bonus). Compared to his 2016 salary it’d be a cap savings. Luckily for the 49ers, his 2015-2017 base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. Which is an incentive for them to cut him if their front office thinks “the experiment is a bust”.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here are the details of Kaepernick’s contract according to rotoworld:
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6530/colin-kaepernick

So contract-wise they can catapult him after this season and incur “only” about an $8.8M cap hit (5 years accelerated signing bonus). Compared to his 2016 salary it’d be a cap savings. Luckily for the 49ers, his 2015-2017 base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. Which is an incentive for them to cut him if their front office thinks “the experiment is a bust”.

Actually releasing Karpernick after this season would "only" result in $7.4 million of dead money counting against the cap (the signing bonus can only be prorated for a maximum of five years when the deal is signed). The Niners would save close to $9.4 million in cap space by getting rid of Kaepernick before the start of the 2016 season.

30-30

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It could be culmination of things, starting with a HC who is in way over his head, however it is evident that Kap is not on the same page as the people around him, as he was in years past.

Way too much change around him. This is a guy who was trending down already, and really needed a good year to revitalize his stature and justify his salary. But instead he got a new and inferior coaching staff, new system, a weakened O-line, and a defense that he can no longer rely on to provide good field position and keep the game close.

But Kaepernick really isn't the 49ers' biggest problem. His first two games looked decent, and the Cardinals game was just a perfect storm of bad. The 49ers real problem is their Defense, which just gave up 76 points in back to back games (taking away the two pick-sixes). And yes, the HC looks to be completely out of his depth. It's a little reminiscent of the Singletary hire... position coach plucked out of obscurity and made into the HC. Then they wonder why he struggles.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers injury report:

Out: Bulaga
Doubtful: Goodson, Ryan
Questionable: Adams, Burnett
Probable: Cobb, Datone Jones, Lacy, Neal, Richardson, Ripkowski

D

Deleted member 6794

The Niners have listed TE Vernon Davis as doubtful to play on Sunday with a bunch of guys being probable.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw on ESPN that Vernon Davis will likely miss Sunday's game

AFan77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Niners fan here. I don't think there's any way we win on Sunday. The team is just a mess right now, and the coaching has been atrocious.

I could go on and on about this, but here's a quick breakdown:

Mangini's D:
Against the Steeler's, the niners gave up pass completions of 59, 56, 48, 41, and 35 yards. Most of these were completed with our safeties creeping up into the box to show blitz, and then retreating to cover the deep zone. The problem? Brown and DHB were beating them there, hanging our young corners out to dry. It's possible that the players simply weren't executing the gameplan, but you would think that after you D was burned once, twice, three times deep, that Mangini would adjust. Hell, just park the safeties deep and force Ben to execute the offense 10 yards at a time.

Against the Cards, Mangini was again far too cute. He opted to primarily play our base defense against the Cards 11 personnel. At times, our 270 pound OLB's were not merely dropping into coverage, they were manned up against the slot wr. Brooks versus Fitzgerald isn't going to work. In zone, the players clearly weren't comfortable, guarding "their grass" more than their opponents. Seriously, wrs were catching balls with a 3-5 yard cushion.

The niners D does have some talent. They have a very deep Dline that can stuff the run and collapse the pocket. Their Olb's, when motivated, are good against the run and can also drive OT's into the Qb (but they aren't going to blow by blockers). In other words, Qbs that aren't skittish have plenty of time to throw. In regards to our ILB's Wilhoite is serviceable, and Bowman is great (unfortunately, he doesn't look 100% recovered). Our safeties have been very good in the past, but they have looked terrible in Mangini's crazy schemes. Our corners are very young. They could have talent, but they look lost out there.

BTW if you thought Bennet was bad, you should see how often Brooks jumps offsides.

The Offense:

Under Harbs / Roman, this team was always run first - that hasn't changed. But Roman had the most varied run scheme in the NFL. Geep Chryst now pretty much runs a zone blocking scheme exclusively. The problem here is that the niners have one of the worst OC's, RG's, and RT's in the NFL. The Oline doesn't move as a unit and D's exploit those chasms rather easily. Chryst tries to hide the line by mostly running a 13 personnel (1 back, 3 TE's).

And while Harbaugh tried to incrementally give Kaep more responsibility to allow him to grow as a Qb, this staff has shown zero confidence in him. The mantra around the niners was that they were going to "do what they do well." Apparently that meant hiring a radio host who has stated that "he would rather have a mobile Qb at the sacrifice of accuracy" as the Qb coach. Chryst has also pared down the passing offense to almost nothing. So now we have a predictable offense, no oline, a rb getting hit in the backfield, and a QB with a scaled down playbook and no confidence trying to convert a 3rd and 9.

BTW Hyde is awesome if he actually gets room.

Packers may start out slow after 2 big wins and playing an inferior opponent, but they'll shake it off. SF 17 - GB 41

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Niners fan here. I don't think there's any way we win on Sunday. The team is just a mess right now, and the coaching has been atrocious.

I could go on and on about this, but here's a quick breakdown:

Mangini's D:
Against the Steeler's, the niners gave up pass completions of 59, 56, 48, 41, and 35 yards. Most of these were completed with our safeties creeping up into the box to show blitz, and then retreating to cover the deep zone. The problem? Brown and DHB were beating them there, hanging our young corners out to dry. It's possible that the players simply weren't executing the gameplan, but you would think that after you D was burned once, twice, three times deep, that Mangini would adjust. Hell, just park the safeties deep and force Ben to execute the offense 10 yards at a time.

Against the Cards, Mangini was again far too cute. He opted to primarily play our base defense against the Cards 11 personnel. At times, our 270 pound OLB's were not merely dropping into coverage, they were manned up against the slot wr. Brooks versus Fitzgerald isn't going to work. In zone, the players clearly weren't comfortable, guarding "their grass" more than their opponents. Seriously, wrs were catching balls with a 3-5 yard cushion.

The niners D does have some talent. They have a very deep Dline that can stuff the run and collapse the pocket. Their Olb's, when motivated, are good against the run and can also drive OT's into the Qb (but they aren't going to blow by blockers). In other words, Qbs that aren't skittish have plenty of time to throw. In regards to our ILB's Wilhoite is serviceable, and Bowman is great (unfortunately, he doesn't look 100% recovered). Our safeties have been very good in the past, but they have looked terrible in Mangini's crazy schemes. Our corners are very young. They could have talent, but they look lost out there.

BTW if you thought Bennet was bad, you should see how often Brooks jumps offsides.

The Offense:

Under Harbs / Roman, this team was always run first - that hasn't changed. But Roman had the most varied run scheme in the NFL. Geep Chryst now pretty much runs a zone blocking scheme exclusively. The problem here is that the niners have one of the worst OC's, RG's, and RT's in the NFL. The Oline doesn't move as a unit and D's exploit those chasms rather easily. Chryst tries to hide the line by mostly running a 13 personnel (1 back, 3 TE's).

And while Harbaugh tried to incrementally give Kaep more responsibility to allow him to grow as a Qb, this staff has shown zero confidence in him. The mantra around the niners was that they were going to "do what they do well." Apparently that meant hiring a radio host who has stated that "he would rather have a mobile Qb at the sacrifice of accuracy" as the Qb coach. Chryst has also pared down the passing offense to almost nothing. So now we have a predictable offense, no oline, a rb getting hit in the backfield, and a QB with a scaled down playbook and no confidence trying to convert a 3rd and 9.

BTW Hyde is awesome if he actually gets room.

Packers may start out slow after 2 big wins and playing an inferior opponent, but they'll shake it off. SF 17 - GB 41

A nice rundown AFan77 but as a Packer fan I'm still guarded about this game. No team in the NFL has looked as bad against Kaepernick and the 49ers as the Packers have. Yes I know this is not the same Niner team we have seen in years past, but I don't buy the idea that just because Kaep threw 4 INTs last week that he's going to do it again. I expect the 9ers to go back to what Kaepernick does best: run. Tons of read option with Hyde and him running all day long and use that to open up the passing game. Kaepernick can throw the ball when he doesn't have to go through a progression. The Packers have been vulnerable to it in the past and I'm expecting a double-dose of it come Sunday. Now I do think the Packer defense is better at stopping the run than it was in 2012 and 2013 when SF ran all over them, but why not play to Kaepernick's strengths? He's no pocket passer, so why are they trying to make him what he's not?

Packers exorcised the Demon of Seattle a couple of weeks ago. Time for them to do the same with long-time nemesis SF.

D

Deleted member 6794

A nice rundown AFan77 but as a Packer fan I'm still guarded about this game. No team in the NFL has looked as bad against Kaepernick and the 49ers as the Packers have. Yes I know this is not the same Niner team we have seen in years past, but I don't buy the idea that just because Kaep threw 4 INTs last week that he's going to do it again. I expect the 9ers to go back to what Kaepernick does best: run. Tons of read option with Hyde and him running all day long and use that to open up the passing game. Kaepernick can throw the ball when he doesn't have to go through a progression. The Packers have been vulnerable to it in the past and I'm expecting a double-dose of it come Sunday. Now I do think the Packer defense is better at stopping the run than it was in 2012 and 2013 when SF ran all over them, but why not play to Kaepernick's strengths? He's no pocket passer, so why are they trying to make him what he's not?

Packers exorcised the Demon of Seattle a couple of weeks ago. Time for them to do the same with long-time nemesis SF.

It will be important for the Packers defense to stop the running game and contain Kaepernick so that he has to throw the ball. An early lead would help as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Davante Adams and Morgan Burnett have been downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game vs. the Niners.

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
I don't know why but I am really nervous for this game, We always seem to have problems when playing the 49ers.
I know that they are a completely different team and so are we but at the same time I still have those horrible memories of Kaepernick running all over us.
I think we will win (at least I hope we will) but I'm just really nervous about this game!

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And we are down to a little over 15 hours until the game.

Packers' Revenge Tour 2015
Beat our hated rivals, The Bears
Finally paid the Seahawks back for the fail mary & playoffs
Finally beat Kansas City at Lambeau
Next up, 49ers...

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couple of questions for you:

a) I've read a few sports pundits and plenty of 9ers fans who are saying that the Kaepernick experiment is a bust and it's time to move on from the guy. Since I don't know his salary situation well enough I can't comment on it from that angle. Your take?

b) How's Hyde compared to Gore? Gore was a real bruiser. Hyde looks like a different type of runner to me. Can he carry the load?

a) Honestly I don't know at this point. My think with Kap is he has immense talent. But he has been widly inconsistent outside his first year when he took over for Alex Smith halfway through the season. And his good can be exceptional when he's "on". But his bad can be excruciatingly bad. Like not even back-up material at a FCS program bad. There's no way you have a stat line like he had against the Cards if your susupposedly an above average NFL QB on a bad night. Bad QBs never look THAT bad. But with Kap, its been proven those games are going to pop up from time to time. And you have no idea when. I'm not sure if you rep that out of him or have him evolve from that at this point. Because his track record suggests that it is a consistent pattern.

b) Hyde is a absolute stud. I will ALWAYS have the utmost respect and admiration for Gore. But Hyde brings an explosive element to the running game we haven't had since Rickey Watters was in a Niner uni. Hyde defintely can be a workhouse. He's bigger than Gore and runs with more power than Gore, yet is also more elusive and and has that second gear to run away from people once he breaks free. The kid is truly a unique talent.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Welcome back 757.

Ok, I'm not one to disrespect an opponent's chances just because they've had some off season and now, in season issues. I'm not thrilled about the possibility of the Pack thinking "revenge" because that would be like skating on last years' ice. This isn't the same team that made the Packers look like idiots in the past. This 49'er team is a near-total-rebuild.

While the Pack should win and all, I'd love to see Kaepernick be brought back down to earth for all of the bicep kissing (yeah yeah, I know... Aaron has the belt, et al...) as the Pack were being not just beaten, but humiliated. I'd love to see the Packers actually practice the lost art of 'containment' around the edges; he didn't just beat the Pack with his legs although that was the most obvious and embarrassing -- I'd love to see this guy shut down and shut up completely.

I will be happy with a "W" where Kaepernick is taught a lesson in humility -- even if it's a one point victory. I'd like this guy shut down completely. Know why? Because you never heard the guy singing the praises of an offensive line that for my money was the best in the league. He'd give 'em a short nod, but those guys made him "The Kaep". He should have bought every one of those guys a Porsche.

As an aside, Kaep was born in Fond du Lac, WI. Not far from where Baalke grew up.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome back 757.

I will be happy with a "W" where Kaepernick is taught a lesson in humility -- even if it's a one point victory. I'd like this guy shut down completely. Know why? Because you never heard the guy singing the praises of an offensive line that for my money was the best in the league. He'd give 'em a short nod, but those guys made him "The Kaep". He should have bought every one of those guys a Porsche.

So, so true. That offensive line made Kaepernick. They were the best OL in the NFL bar none.

Sky King

Reaction score
I don't know why but I am really nervous for this game, We always seem to have problems when playing the 49ers.
I know that they are a completely different team and so are we but at the same time I still have those horrible memories of Kaepernick running all over us.
I think we will win (at least I hope we will) but I'm just really nervous about this game!
Whoa there young fella! There's nothing to be nervous about. It's just a game that's truly meant to be enjoyed. R-E-L-A-X and you'll enjoy it far more, win, lose or draw. When you're (legally) old enough me and the Mrs. will buy you glass of suds at the Draft House or Rum Runner, your choice. :tup:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually releasing Karpernick after this season would "only" result in $7.4 million of dead money counting against the cap (the signing bonus can only be prorated for a maximum of five years when the deal is signed). The Niners would save close to $9.4 million in cap space by getting rid of Kaepernick before the start of the 2016 season.

When Kap signed his deal I remember thinking that it was a VERY friendly team deal. If he were to play it all out yes he would make a lot of money but there was very little (for such a big QB contract) in guaranteed money. like WIMM says cutting him after this year will result in a fairly small salary cap acceleration.

In essence this is the kind of contract I would like to see. It as close to an incentive laden prove it or lose it type of deal as you are probably going to get for a young "stud" like Kap. If he plays well he sticks around and gets paid a lot of money. If he doesn't the team can cut him and not be stuck with a huge dead money cap hit.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think saying the 49er's OL made Kaepernick vs. the Packers makes sense. A great OL can spring a RB/QB so he’s not touched for 4-5 yards or so, but beyond that the success belongs to the RB/QB. If you’re a ********* go back and watch the Packers get out-schemed, LBs and DBs bounce off of - or attempt to arm tackle - Kaepernick, or take bad angles. And a dual threat QB has an advantage running the ball.

Even though they lost, I thought the wild card loss to the 9ers at Lambeau showed the Packers had overtaken the 49ers. Remember the Packers ended up with 15 players on IR in 2013, including Bulaga, Finley, and Hayward. For that playoff game Matthews was inactive, and Shields and Neal went out with injuries on first series. Even so, the Packers were a dropped INT by Hyde (with 4 minutes left in a tied game at the 49er 34 yard line) away from winning.
And his good can be exceptional when he's "on". But his bad can be excruciatingly bad.
My questions for 757Niner: If it were up to you, would you cut Kaepernick at seasons end, or would you put up with his inconsistency? How do you view the state of 49er fans generally? Although they appeared in the Super Bowl two seasons ago, it’s been just over 20 years since they won their 5th title. How will the fan base react if last season’s 8-8 becomes the beginning of a rebuilding period, particularly if they do part ways with Kaepernick?

30-30

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding the fan base: 49ers fans are angry. Specifically, they're angry at the owner and the GM. Numerous stories in the local papers about failures in leadership, and the talk shows and forums are full of vitriol for ownership. If the game goes sour today, expect to hear a chorus of boos from the crowd.

Nevertheless, I expect the 49ers to fight like a cornered animal today. These guys are pros and they have pride. Regardless of what's happening around them, they won't just roll over. The Packers have way more talent and should triumph in the end, but you have to be ready to play 4 quarters.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't share the widespread feeling that this one is going to be an easy blow-out for the Packers. The Packers tend to "play down" away from Lambeau even in a win. The season opener at Chicago, last year's games at Miami, Minnesota, Buffalo are cases in point.

The Pack isn't exactly fully loaded for this one either. No Davante Adams, Andrew Quarless, Morgan Burnett, Brian Bulaga besides the long ago loss of Jordy Nelson. And they haven't been able to get out of a game yet this season so far without someone going out or down. There was much criticism of the turf at Levi Stadium at the start of the year so there's another issue to watch for injury.

The Niners may be the proverbial "wounded or cornered animal" that suddenly strikes out and lashes back. They have been humiliated the past two weeks but have a franchise pride and tradition and those games were on the road. They are home for this one; where they dominated a Minnesota team in their opener that has since won two games rather decisively.

I fully expect the Packers to win but suspect that our discussions afterward will be more along the lines of "a win is a win" rather than marveling at a masterpiece.

Reaction score
I'm really excited to see Abby and Guion back. I think Just allowing BJ to rest a few series here n there is gonna improve our overall D. I'm anxious to see both players on the D line on short yardage n goal line scenarios also.

Members online