Official 2023 week 3 pregame thread: Home opener vs the undefeated Saints

Reaction score
I had the misfortune of attending the 27-10 Jet humiliation last year. That was about the worst home performance in a Rodgers-Favre fully played game since 2006. And I had to be there to see it.
Ouch that was a tough one

It would make it all worth while if you witness Jordan Love get a Victory in his first Start at Lambeau. I bet he gets an incredible welcome. This is a game I’d like to see live.
I envy you

Reaction score
Saints do have a good Defense. That said who have they beat? Tannenhill?
Brice Young?
Now Love may not yet be a premier Passer, but I’d take him against either QB, even more so at Lambeau

The Saints Defense is about allowing short stuff and keeping the game in front of them. They don’t blitz much and their QB pressure rate is pedestrian (ours is actually very good thus far) however NO finishes what they started with 7 sacks to our 5.
Saints Run Defense is more normal. Where the Saints excel is in the Redzone as they just stifle teams in that area. They’ve allowed just 1 Passing TD and they force teams to Kick FG.

Other than rushing yards in that 2nd half of last week, our D is surprisingly good overall so far. Our Defense tends to execute better at Pass rush and that might be part the cause for allowing too many Rushing yards. We overcommit at times and lose lane integrity. We need to play more disciplined and balance more run support. The Saints don’t have a superior Rushing threat though, so that balance needs to be delicately adjusted this week.

I think we can force a Turnover or two. As long as Jordan limits INT or fumbles I think we’re going to be in this one pretty good.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saints do have a good Defense. That said who have they beat? Tannenhill?
Brice Young?
Now Love may not yet be a premier Passer, but I’d take him against either QB, even more so at Lambeau

The Saints Defense is about allowing short stuff and keeping the game in front of them. They don’t blitz much and their QB pressure rate is pedestrian (ours is actually very good thus far) however NO finishes what they started with 7 sacks to our 5.
Saints Run Defense is more normal. Where the Saints excel is in the Redzone as they just stifle teams in that area. They’ve allowed just 1 Passing TD and they force teams to Kick FG.

Other than rushing yards, our D is surprisingly good overall so far. Our Defense tends to execute better at Pass rush and that might be part the cause for allowing too many Rushing yards. We need to play more disciplined and balance more run support. The Saints don’t have a superior Rushing threat though, so that balance needs to be delicately adjusted this week.

I think we can force a Turnover or two. As long as Jordan limits INT or fumbles I think we’re going to be in this one pretty good.
Kamara comes back in Week 4 and Jamal is out. That is kind. I thought the Titans O Line would have controlled that game. But like you said they are red zone solid.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Musgrave disappeared in the 2nd half. Maybe because he was staying back to help the left side? I don't know. But I don't think he should disappear. Get a little creative. Roll out. Would love to get Kroft involved also.

Reaction score
The return of #9 is significant.
Regardless of newer players overall, Christian is one of our most experienced WR and has the biggest propensity to make a big play. His speed was underestimated last season

NO will have to put Lattimore, CB1 on him. Watson has been under the radar due his injury and us playing it safe, but they don’t suit him unless he’s 100%.
Lattimore will have his hands full. Watson is 4” taller and 15lb heavier than Lattimore, but with near identical speed and burst. There are very few players Marshon will face this year with the size, speed and raw athleticism of #9. #9 is a physical specimen and I said that long before he blew up the Cowboys last year.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They’ll likely have to bring Safety (Matthieu) help up if they don’t want “Reedster the Speedster” to gash them underneath. If they expect a LB to cover Reed? Good Luck! This isn’t a slow Packers team anymore. It’s stocked with young and fast talent now and it’s built different. Yes we’re still finding our discipline footing, but yes we also finally match up better speed wise as opposed to past seasons.

That leaves some focus off the Running game (relative Saints weakness if there is any) as we can use Reed to draw misdirection away from the play when he’s not involved. We also have a QB who is largely unknown. He’s got a rifle for an arm reminiscent of young Favrey. He’s got elusiveness and above average scrambling ability to move the chains using his feet that’s eerily similar to young Rodgers. If we recall, #12 would silently gash you for 1st Downs peppered throughout games over his first half dozen seasons. Our QB is mobile and not not 1-dimensional. For every time you catch #10 for a sack? He’s just as liable to use his strength/size to shake an arm tackle and exploit you for +10

We also have a healthy, athletic TE with the speed to cause problems fir LB’s . Just as it is with losing a OL and the negative trickle down effect we experienced last week? So it is the reciprocal. The addition of arguably the fastest player on the field in #9 is a trickle up effect.

No more silent count. This is our house and our QB and our Beer!! Get in line

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha s Kraft been targeted yet this season?
I do not believe so, just used sparingly as an inline blocker. I didn't look extremely hard but saw that he has 15 snaps on offense and 11 on ST. He only had 2 offensive snaps in Week 2, so he must have had 13 against the Bears.

Reaction score
They’ll likely have to bring Safety help up if they don’t want “Reedster the Speedster” to gash them underneath. If they expect a LB to cover Reed? Good Luck! This isn’t a slow Packers team anymore. It’s freshly stocked with young and fast talent now and its is built different. We finally match up better speed wise as opposed to past seasons.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I re-watched the Atlanta game. Too many of our players disappeared, especially the veterans. I heard talking-heads mention that this young team just didn't know how to close out a game. Well, what about our veterans? Kenny Clark played great in the beginning but trailed off. Jaire had probably his worst game ever as a Packer. Dillon was pedestrian. I barely remember Campbell's name being mentioned. Up and down the roster, our veterans were not making the plays. They need to lead no matter how tired they get. Lead by example.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And....honestly Sims came into GB and hit the ground running VERY FAST.

Snap counts in our TE room:

Musgrave - 89
Deguara - 38
Kraft - 15
Sims - 14

Reaction score
Aaron Jones practicing, but not Watson or Bahk.

Hopefully Watson didn’t take a setback. He was out there Yesterday. My hope is he is near ready but we’re just bringing extra caution by rotating him in.
We shall see this weekend.

Aaron Jones I’d still the foundation of this team until someone else rises. Look at what happened in MN after they walked Cook. A good, well-rounded RB is still a key component to success, as is evidenced by the departure of Dalvin Cook and his leaving a significant Void in that Offense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Video of Jones running and cutting today….limited participant but still.

Watson after limited yesterday was a did not practice.

I bet we don’t see Watson for yet another week

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I re-watched the Atlanta game. Too many of our players disappeared, especially the veterans. I heard talking-heads mention that this young team just didn't know how to close out a game. Well, what about our veterans? Kenny Clark played great in the beginning but trailed off. Jaire had probably his worst game ever as a Packer. Dillon was pedestrian. I barely remember Campbell's name being mentioned. Up and down the roster, our veterans were not making the plays. They need to lead no matter how tired they get. Lead by example.
All
Aaron Jones practicing, but not Watson or Bahk.

Strange. You would think Jones would be sitting and maybe Watson practicing since the injuries were like a week apart.

Reaction score
Watched the Watson interview today. His day off was scheduled. Watson practiced LP last week on Fri and this week on Wednesday. Tomorrow (Fri) will be a significant sign. If Watson is out again in Practice then there’s a 30% chance he plays. If he’s suited up there’s a 70% chance he plays.

As of Thursday night, I’m about 75% sure Aaron Jones plays.
I’m about 60% Watson suits up

Reaction score
I think the Packers might have more success in the Run game here. The Saints have had some “per carry issues” against the Run thus far.
We might need to commit to running more and allowing our D to rest a little.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watched the Watson interview today. His day off was scheduled. Watson practiced LP last week on Fri and this week on Wednesday. Tomorrow (Fri) will be a significant sign. If Watson is out again in Practice then there’s a 30% chance he plays. If he’s suited up there’s a 70% chance he plays.

As of Thursday night, I’m about 75% sure Aaron Jones plays.
I’m about 60% Watson suits up
This makes me pretty sure you are 50% right or wrong.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Saints have an elite defense. They're incredibly tough and smart. With a depleted offense, this game is going to rest on Joe Barry's defense. If they can shut down the Saints, this should be a win. But my gut feels like this will be a close loss. Hopefully Love shows out in his home debut and wrecks this narrative.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers 23 Saints 17
Packers offense and saints defense both very good so far in the red zone. Our rookie kicker may be in for a big day.

Reaction score
Packers 23 Saints 17
Packers offense and saints defense both very good so far in the red zone. Our rookie kicker may be in for a big day.
Yep. We need a rebound game on Defense. This isn’t some high potency Offense and we’re playing at home. There’s absolutely no excuse we should allow more than 17-20 points area or less.

ClutchLove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always easy to predict XYZ or that ABC will happen - I am more excited to see these young guys play AT HOME and how they will respond honestly

First home start for Love of his career too, so excited to see how he will do