Nfccg duds

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe if they would have drafted Queen and a couple of other pieces..maybe a dl, instead of wasting their first 4 picks on guys that barely played, this team would have been better.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
To the those who think we should have gone for the td instead of a FG towards the end:

Suppose it was successful and we tied the game. Does anyone here REALLY think our defense would keep Brady from leading Tampa right down the field for a last second FG?

And suppose we either failed getting a td or the 2 pt conversion and still trailed. We already KNOW the defense couldn’t get the ball back.

Packers lose either way.
If the Packers tie the game, you're trying to prevent the Bucs from getting into FG range. Let's assume the Bucs get the ball on the 25. So you're essentially trying to stop the Bucs from getting 45-50 yards to get a decent shot at a FG.

By electing to kick the FG, all the Bucs need is to get 20 yards (or two first downs) and the game is over.

It's more than a significant difference.

Also, even if the Packers don't convert on the 4th down play, the Bucs get the ball on the 8 yard line. Big field position difference. Would have likely resulted in them being more conservative as well. Either way you need a touchdown.

Your suggestion is a loser's mentality. The option which gives you the better chance to win the game (in my humble estimation) would have been to go for it on 4th and goal.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers really should stop letting DCs draft players.

Granted Redmond wasn't drafted by us, but he was the 68th Overall Pick by the 49ers in 2016 and certainly hasn't lived up to that billing. (Todd McShay thought he was 1st Round material) He was cut by the 49ers in 2017; went to the Chiefs same year, and was cut again in 2018. He has yet to record an interception in his professional career. He has 2 pass breakups to his name in 3 years with the Packers, 1 in 2019 and 1 in 2020.

PFF Grades

2018 - 66.3 (5 games)
2019 - 56.1 (13 games)
2020 - 57.8 (13 games)

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Granted Redmond wasn't drafted by us, he was the 68th Overall Pick by the 49ers in 2016 he was waived, went to the Chiefs, and was waived again. He has yet to record an interception in his professional career. He has 2 pass breakups to his name in 3 years with the Packers, 1 in 2019 and 1 in 2020.

PFF Grades

2018 - 66.3 (5 games)
2019 - 56.1 (13 games)
2020 - 57.8 (13 games)

So.... why is that Pettine's fault? Seems more like something that should be the front office's responsibility.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying that at all. I get the backend of the roster is not going to be the greatest, but 2019 should have been Redmond's last hurrah for Green Bay. I'm not sure why Vernon Scott and Henry Black weren't given more opportunities to supplant him.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying that at all. I get the backend of the roster is not going to be the greatest, but 2019 should have been Redmond's last hurrah for Green Bay. I'm not sure why Vernon Scott and Henry Black weren't given more opportunities to supplant him.

The coaches see more in practice that what we fans hope might happen. If Redmond was starting, it's cause he's better.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can he be coached up? Can whatever ability he has be better utilized? If not, did the DC recommend that he be cut? Overall, has the DC gotten the best out of the personnel he has?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can he be coached up? Can whatever ability he has be better utilized? If not, did the DC recommend that he be cut? Overall, has the DC gotten the best out of the personnel he has?

Well, unless you think Savage improved by ignoring his DC then I'm guessing the coaches know how to coach (at least the safety coach anyway). I'd also ask what round all those backup safeties were taken in but some on this board just like to blame DCs for GMs getting bad players.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think you have to look at a combination of tape, the stat sheet, and history.

Redmond was a 3rd Round pick and didn't last a year with San Francisco, granted he got hurt in the preseason but once he came back(they drafted Ahkello Witherspoon 66th Overall in 2017) , he was cut. He was like their version of J'Mon Moore on defense.

Never made it on to the field for the Chiefs.

Then the Packers take a whiff, which I'm not mad, he was a 3rd Round pick but still gotta remember what's happened before.

It also says something to me that prior to this season, he has only ONE pass deflection to his name. I get it, he's a backup safety, but 1 deflection, no interceptions, no sacks. He's made some tackles, but for a FS tackles aren't a stat to necessarily celebrate, unless they're tackles for loss.

This is my opinion, but FS is not a particularly hard transition to make from college to the pros. It really all depends on the complexity of the defense the DC is calling but Redmond is a pure cover guy, Pettine like Capers before him never sent him in on a blitz or involved him in blitz packages(feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). All he had to do was either play man or centerfield. As an Armchair DC I'll give you a season and a half to adjust to the speed of the game and get your processing up to par. After that you either got it or you don't and to me it is apparent that Redmond doesn't have it as like King he consistently finds himself out of position.

Last edited:

rdawsoniii

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers tie the game, you're trying to prevent the Bucs from getting into FG range. Let's assume the Bucs get the ball on the 25. So you're essentially trying to stop the Bucs from getting 45-50 yards to get a decent shot at a FG.

By electing to kick the FG, all the Bucs need is to get 20 yards (or two first downs) and the game is over.

It's more than a significant difference.

Also, even if the Packers don't convert on the 4th down play, the Bucs get the ball on the 8 yard line. Big field position difference. Would have likely resulted in them being more conservative as well. Either way you need a touchdown.

Your suggestion is a loser's mentality. The option which gives you the better chance to win the game (in my humble estimation) would have been to go for it on 4th and goal.
My point is that our defense was not going to stop Brady....period. How many times has he led NE downfield at the end of games for a game-winning td or FG? How many times has he picked up a game-securing first down? You really think it wouldn’t have happened yesterday? We already KNOW our defense couldn’t force a punt....and field position had nothing to do with it. Brady would still be throwing on third down even if their drive started on the 8.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
My point is that our defense was not going to stop Brady....period. How many times has he led NE downfield at the end of games for a game-winning td or FG? How many times has he picked up a game-securing first down? You really think it wouldn’t have happened yesterday? We already KNOW our defense couldn’t force a punt....and field position had nothing to do with it. Brady would still be throwing on third down even if their drive started on the 8.
Yeah. I'm shocked the Packers didn't just kneel on 4th down. Would've saved everyone some time. :rolleyes:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Duds: Those who call themselves Packer fans, insist before and after a game that the Packers suck and are going to lose. Then come in here after one of those rare losses and act like Nostradamus.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud: Murphy Bunting holding our receivers in a way the refs couldn't see it.
Dud: Refs not seeing it then finally calling a hold last play of game on an uncatchable pass.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud: Murphy Bunting holding our receivers in a way the refs couldn't see it.
Dud: Refs not seeing it then finally calling a hold last play of game on an uncatchable pass.
I gotta say it. King had a heckofa hold on that guy's shirt. For a few seconds he stretched that shirt. It certainly was not PI but a hold had the same outcome.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I gotta say it. King had a heckofa hold on that guy's shirt. For a few seconds he stretched that shirt. It certainly was not PI but a hold had the same outcome.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is denying the shirt hold and stretch, how could you, it was there for everyone to see. I think what has a lot of Fans, non-Packer fans too, scratching their heads was 3 things. One, the refs were letting the grabbing and tugging go all day. Two, the ball appeared to be way over his head and uncatchable. Three: "Come on man, consider both the first and second point and you are calling THAT to basically end the game?" Also, didn't help that the flag seemed to come out really late.

It also bothered me that the refs didn't seem to huddle up and talk about it, which I have seen during many games. Sometimes the other refs convince the flag thrower to pick it up because they saw it differently.

Never like to blame a loss on a ref call, but it doesn't mean that you shouldn't point out bad or inconsistent calls either.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This was a fun listen. Obviously Chris Simms is not that big of a Brady Fan and definitely a Rodgers fan. Something that jumped out at me was at around the 15:20 minute mark when they are talking about the PI call at the end of the game. "You can see it on the coaches film, ball hits the ground the guy is signaling incomplete like 3 times and then grabs his flag and throws it." Come on man!

Corey Linsley: I don't know what Aaron Rodgers meant by his postgame comments - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These are absolutely the two plays that ultimately made the biggest difference.

Yet, still and all, the Packers had a chance at the end and Lafleur took the ball out of Rodgers' hands and put it into a defense he had no business trusting. That is egregious on so many levels.

MLF had another boneheaded move earlier in the game. He went for 2 way to soon and we ended up chasing those points the rest of the game. Even if Rodgers runs it in late in the fourth we still had to get it in there again just to tie the damn game!

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn it how did I forget Will Redmond as a super dud?

Man, maybe it's just the overall frustration of losing this one getting to me, but .... man in hindsight that dropped interception seems even worse than Hyde or Bostick's plays.

With Hyde, that ball did have some mustard on it when he tried to jump up and snare it, and in ice cold conditions that's not as easy as it seems to catch. Even Bostick, yeah he screwed up, but that ball was wet on an onside kick, and who knows, it's even possible somebody else on the team could have lost it trying to catch it.

This one though.... man you do not have an easier shot at one than that. A floater and just no excuse for dropping it.

A guy like Redmond belongs on someone's practice squad and not on the field in that situation. Were we out of other options there?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was egregious was getting the ball after turnovers and not getting points out of them due to poor play calling, poor reffing, and poor play.

Once again, LaFleur and Rodgers gave up on the run game too soon.

Another situation that bugged me that nobody is talking about is why did we not go into a 2 minute offense near the end of the first half with 2 full minutes and 2 TOs left? What a waste. It was now or never. If you don't try there isn't a next week. If we would have attempted to get into FG range and got those points chances are good that stupid call on Tampa's TD there probably doesn't even occur.