Mike McCarthy

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I try not to watch any of the interviews he does because he seems really nonchalant and always on the defensive when he's asked a tough question. He seems like a pretty intelligent guy but he can't come up with a way to have the offense produce at a high level against the cover 2? I know they were expecting to see a ton of it against New york because they always play Rodgers like that and the Lions did it the week before...yet him and the staff had no answer? Not good.

His basic answer is "we need to do a better job with 1 on 1's and help where help is needed." Uhhh duh!! come on now; any fan sitting in the stands can give you that response. What are you and the staff doing to help the struggling o-line besides stating the obvious? what plays are you drawing up? what blocking scheme do you have to help keep Rodgers upright? Having Jennings back should boost the offense but if Rodgers is still getting plastered what good is Jennings?

I need to see more two tight end sets and more Kuhn. Taylor seems like a pretty good blocker so i'd like to see more of him in dual sets with Finley, or even as a wing back who can go out in routes from the backfield. I'd also like to see us go back to the more traditional West Coast offense because we've gone away from the quick stuff. Those slant routes and hitch routes have to be used more to get the ball out quicker, then you force the defense to play more man and hit them with those double moves that we like to run. If the Vikings play cover 2 then 60% of Rodgers passes should be in the middle of the field to Finley or whoever the slot wr is. I'm tiered of us missing the oppertunity to execute big plays over the middle because everyhing is going to the outside or in the flats. Time to get Finley more involved even if he isn't always catching the ball he has tobe targeted more vs the cover 2. Period.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So you want him to give you specific formations, schemes and such? Which in turn tells the entire league what he will do?

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you want him to give you specific formations, schemes and such? Which in turn tells the entire league what he will do?

Of course not :cautious: I'd like to see this during the game of course. Only a foolish coach would tell you what he had up his sleeve during a press conference. I was speaking figuratively.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He produced the 2nd highest scoring offense in NFL history, won a SB, and developed statistically the best QB in NFL history. Are you really questioning his offensive game plan? Seriously?

As far as his press conferences, they won't make sports center highlights. Sorry. But then neither do BBs.

MM is a different person with the team and with the media.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like McCarthy. And I remember Scooter McLean, Bengston, Infante; and the losing from 1968-1991. We are lucky to have him. But he's got to find someone who can whip the offensive line into a dominating unit.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He produced the 2nd highest scoring offense in NFL history, won a SB, and developed statistically the best QB in NFL history. Are you really questioning his offensive game plan? Seriously?

As far as his press conferences, they won't make sports center highlights. Sorry. But then neither do BBs.

I'm questioning his offensive gameplan against the cover 2, i may have not made this clear enough in my post. So if you ask me if i'm questioning his offensive game plan vs cover 2 defense being the blueprint to give us problems then yes i am...seriously. Whatever he has done isn't working NOW...not two yr's ago or last year.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like McCarthy. And I remember Scooter McLean, Bengston, Infante; and the losing from 1968-1991. We are lucky to have him. But he's got to find someone who can whip the offensive line into a dominating unit.

I like the guy to...i just don't like how stubborn he can be. That's not a good quality for any NFL coach to have.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I need to see more two tight end sets and more Kuhn. Taylor seems like a pretty good blocker so i'd like to see more of him in dual sets with Finley
If its blocking you want, Crabtree is your man. Taylor is Crabtree #2. Plus Crabtree has improved his catching ability. I'd leave Crabs, Taylor, and Kuhn in to block if I wanted full protection. If our line was healthy, I'd say maybe even Dietz-Watson in the backfield, but he's on LG right now

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Won 65.7% of ALL his games with the Packers. Pretty good I would say. Didn't hurt having two HOF QBs to work with. Also much credit has to go to Ted - he finds the bargains that keeps this team on the winning path. Since MM and TT have taken over, Packers have to be one of the most winning-est teams. MM has always seemed to be the good balance between the tyrant type (Holmy) and players coach (Sherman). This last game, however, was a bit troubling - seemed like he let them all go a bit slack. I blame the mustaches (half joking).

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
MM is a great coach, he sticks with his team, blames himself and he likes to say to stay with the basics. I'd blame Clements before McCarthy about the offense.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that a lot of us have quickly forgotten how important Joe Philbin was to this team. It was disgust a bunch during our slow start at the beginning of the season, but now folks are just ranting on McCarthy, Campen, and anyone else.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'd leave Crabs, Taylor, and Kuhn in to block if I wanted full protection. If our line was healthy, I'd say maybe even Dietz-Watson in the backfield, but he's on LG right now
1. If you leave two TEs and a FB in to block that leaves three players out in pass patterns. If the D rushes 5, that leaves 6 defenders to cover 3 receivers.

2. If you're a fan of Crabtree, you may want to find another nickname. :D

3. Who is "Dietz-Watson"?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like is the lack of adjustments made. It used to be that if we didn't do so hot in the first half, coming out after half time the team had a new plan and came out utterly dominant....now, as of late, it seems we are stuck on the same ol' plan as the first half if things are not going the right way........same stuck in the mud game plan.

More so than the adjustments is the poor play calling.....wow...tossing a long pass on 3rd and 1 is a bone head move, we had Kuhn back and we all know that he can still get us a much needed 3 or 4 yards even with a skeptic O line.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Building an offensive line can take a few years. But I think of watching the 9ers a few years ago on MNF with Dilfer as QB behind a horrible offensive line ( maybe the worst in the league ). The poor fellow could barely drop back a step and someone was on his throat. No wonder he retired very quickly. Now a few years later they sit with maybe the best line in the league and it is hard to touch either of their QBs.

Reaction score
The Packers are not executing. When you are getting manhandled in the trenches, you are not going to win many games. There is very little you can do scheming when you have to put so many guys to block. We have learned this season that the Packers have to run the ball to pass protect better. When you go down 17 points on the road, you can't continue to run the ball ineffectively and expect to win. Sooner or later you have to pass. That's what the packers did and they got manhandled by the basic 4 man rush. The cover two is hard to pass against because it is 7 men in coverage which = clogged passing lanes. In order to get them out of this look we have to run the ball effectively or protect better against the 4 man rush. It is as simple as that.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Building an offensive line can take a few years. But I think of watching the 9ers a few years ago on MNF with Dilfer as QB behind a horrible offensive line ( maybe the worst in the league ). The poor fellow could barely drop back a step and someone was on his throat. No wonder he retired very quickly. Now a few years later they sit with maybe the best line in the league and it is hard to touch either of their QBs.

They also haven't won a SB and have a QB controversy. Teams great. But they haven't had the injuries the packers have.

Rodgers needs to release the ball quicker. The line needs to get healthy. The offense will change with Greg back in the line up. I was so so on paying him next season, but we might need to.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. If you leave two TEs and a FB in to block that leaves three players out in pass patterns. If the D rushes 5, that leaves 6 defenders to cover 3 receivers.

2. If you're a fan of Crabtree, you may want to find another nickname. :D

3. Who is "Dietz-Watson"?
doing some research aka google Dietz and Watson is a deli manufacturer. I believe he meant Johnsonville Bratwurst. Honest mistake bro.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Building an offensive line can take a few years.

It also helps if you suck for a few years in a row and get high draft picks. The Packers have (thankfully) been drafting in the bottom third of each round for most of the past decade+.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest complaint on MMis his game time work. Challenges and clock management. But the results speak for themselves. He's a great coach. One point I was in favor of Sean Payton. I wouldn't trade the two now

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Bulaga out this O-line went from average to a major weakness. You can try to hide that schematically all you want but it's going to be exposed against good pass rushing teams no matter what you do. Only thing I agree with you about is giving the offense a more traditional west coast feel with the quick passes and such...that would seem to make sense...but what do I know.

I can't see how Campen can be kept on after this year. Not saying it's all his fault, but it seems that typically offensive linemen brought in here don't develop like they should. Remembering during the Favre years it seemed they could make pretty much anything work with O-linemen. Now the norm is that when an O-lineman gets drafted he will develop into a crap sandwich.

12theTruth

I thought Mike McCarthy had turned the corner last year in regards to being not just a good coach but a very good to great coach. But then then the playoff loss to the Giants and seeing the unreal lack of preparedness of the team. And in 2012 you are seeing the limitations of having a banged up offensive line with a bad position coach is doing to Mike McCarthy's overall success as a head coach. MM lives and dies by the passing game. This year more than ever we see the ugly truth in that. In hindsight, I gave him too much credit. Losing Philbin hurt on offense, but his biggest weakness is his ego and stubborness. His apparent priority of boosting Mason Crosby's confidence over logic last week really takes the cake. Considering the circumstances of the moment, the field, wind conditions, Crosby's **** poor 2012 accuracy, the FG is the LAST thing McCarthy should be considering there.

Members online

Latest posts