MIKE MCCARTHY FIRED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Huh? Who said that? I'm so glad he got fired today, instead of tomorrow. Maybe now the arrogant attitude will go away
What is this arrogant attitude stuff??? I truly don’t understand.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tony Dungy is visibly shook by the McCarthy firing. “You just don’t do that to a SB winning coach in the middle of the season". GTFOOH!

We have to remember, we are dealing with outsiders here with the NFL national media here. They aren't coming from our perspectives as fans, and considering we're a very closed door organization, I don't believe their sources understood how toxic it was getting here. The fallout is not surprising.

The perception will change if we hire the right guy and hit the ground running next season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope this doesn’t happen. All it would show is that the team is controlled by the QB. That’s not good for trying to find a new head coach.
Good point. Of course, that may in fact be the case. It was with Favre and Rodgers is definitely showing signs of ............

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Eric Bienemy tried to throw my friend in front of a car back in college. That’s really all I know about him. :0
There were a bunch of those Colorado players that displayed “Miami” character traits.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Packers did MM a favor by doing this. As it would not feel good to continue to coach knowing you will be gone at the end of the season. Now he can take Christmas off and relax and probably get ready for the Cleveland gig.

H

HardRightEdge

You’re right, under the current org structure where MM, RB, and Gluten report to Murphy.

That’s a lousy org structure. The HC and Russ Ball should report to the GM, and the GM should have the final say on who will be the next HC.
Well, if you think of Murphy as the uber-GM and Gutekunst as the top scouting guy, you had that traditional structure. Murphy came down the ladder to be more hands-on in the football operation. That happens when it is perceived that something is off track and the guy untimately responsible has get down in the weeds to figure out what's wrong. Gutekunst being a first year GM would have been a factor in creating that reporting structure.

With the situation having gone from bad to worse, I doubt Murphy is going to retreat to the ivory tower and simply turn over the keys to the kingdom to Gutekunst.

Whether the new head coach reports to Gutekunst or Murphy remains to be seen and will probably depend on who the new head coach is. Giving an ex-HC with a winning resume power sharing in personnel (a la Seattle, Oakland, et. al.) might not change things much. At the other end of the spectrum, a coordinator with no prior HC experience or a college coach making his first foray in the NFL would not likely get that kind of authority.

In any event, I'd guess Pettine will be retained and the new HC will come from the offensive side of the ball.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow...... McCarthy to the browns makes perfect sense... McCarthy has structure in his methods. They build teams through the draft and keep their guys. That brings stability. Which is exactly what the Browns need...
I came to this conclusion a couple months ago. The losing streak surely sped up the move. But I think it was absolutely inevitable McCarthy had to go to change things up. Green bay had become stagnant. Somehow.....

I Havnt watched the last 3 games. I picked a good time to get busy apparently. Lol. But I'm looking forward to seeing a few things go. Along with McCarthy.

H

HardRightEdge

Per the press release:

"President/CEO Mark Murphy will speak with the media Monday, Dec. 3 at 1:45 p.m.," evidently live at Packers.com.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m from Ohio. I have lots of friends and family who are die hard Cleveland fans. They do not want McCarthy ...they want McDaniels who is a home town guy and much younger and creative than McCarthy. Which is why I want him.

H

HardRightEdge

They had to make a swift decision
The answer lies in the second to last line of the press release:

"We will immediately begin the process of selecting the next head coach of the Green Bay Packers.”

It's not very constructive keeping a HC in place when he and everybody else would know he's out the door as soon a call is placed to a prospect or his agent. And even if it wasn't leaked, it would be bullsh*t to keep him hanging around. If you're gonna do it, get on with it. It's best for all parties concerned.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It needed to be done. I think he should have been gone after the 2015 season. Him being let go now let’s us get a head start looking for a coach and MM get a head start entertaining questions from other teams.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure why this is being looked at a negative thing. The idea that you don't do this to a super bowl winning coach is ridiculous. He was a super bowl what 8 years ago! It wasnt like he won last year. Also why is it better to keep him around when you know he is getting fired. Let both parties move on.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure why this is being looked at a negative thing. The idea that you don't do this to a super bowl winning coach is ridiculous. He was a super bowl what 8 years ago! It wasnt like he won last year. Also why is it better to keep him around when you know he is getting fired. Let both parties move on.
8 years ago is right. Look at how poorly Hundley and the team played and McCarthy was adamant the QB room was where it needed to be. This season is the same only with the multimillion dollar man at QB.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it was time. However, since this season is over for the Packers, I wish they would have done it with more class and waited if not till the season was finished then at least do it on Monday.
For every thing there is a time and a season. When you lose to a 2-9 hot weather team at home in December with it snowing and in a must-win situation, a bold statement must be made. This game was actually worse than the 17-20 score indicates. There was no sense of urgency and they had the look of a team that didn't expect to win. That bold statement was made clear.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go ahead and get on with it. After the loss today seemed obvious what was coming, right after the post game press conference or Monday morning isn’t going to change the new coach search timeline.

I understand making swift decisions and being decisive, and even though I know many fans couldn’t wait to get rid of him, there seems to be a code or way of doing things in the NFL carousel of coaching. I think GBay May have angered football gods with this.

Reaction score
MM is a smart guy, I believe he knew very well this was a viable outcome. I don’t think this caught him by complete surprise

I just hope we stock #12 with weapons with this next regime. This Offense has been robbed in the draft going back a decade now.
If the draft was a teeter totter... our Offense has had its feet dangling in the air far too long

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares? It was bold and decisive and that's what was needed. The Packers could have use a half measure. They went with a full measure.
I care, you can make the decision and give a guy some respect.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad McCarthyy is gone. I believe there's plenty of blame to go around though, as to where this team is at this point. Thompson bears a lot of blame, and quite frankly, I think Rodgers needs to be reigned in regarding technique and staying within the offense, if that's even possible.

Likely that the next head coach is currently coaching in some capacity on another team. They aren't allowed to interview or anything until a coach's season had finished?

I dont have a problem with moving on at this time, not sure it gives them much of a benefit in searching for the next HC though.

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you know the average number of years that a head coach holds that position? I tried to Google it but was unsuccessful.

I have seen Cleveland mentioned as a spot that McCarthy might end up. Any place else?

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finally...

MM gone ... Check
Crosby needs to be gone ....
OLBers need to be replaced ....

Let's see how well our Offense performs now that MM is gone and done calling short throws all day

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I care, you can make the decision and give a guy some respect.
I guess I fail to see in what way he was disrespected. I don't see how being fired 3 hours after a game is any more disrespectful than being fired 18 hours after a game. If anything, they did him a favor by letting him sleep tonight rather than lying awake worrying over what will happen Monday. Nothing is worse than not knowing. If it was me I'd rather know ASAP.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well speculation will abound now on who the holdovers will be on MM's staff that the new guy will keep. I'll say who must follow MM out the door swiftly

1. Ron Zook - I do not ever want to see that buffoon on the sideline coaching our special teams again. Awful on every level, and he needs to go pronto.

2. Joe Whitt - Ruined HHCD, D Randall, Hyde and Heyward and is already ruining Josh Jackson. I want him outta here at seasons end.

3. Mark Lovat - Responsible for all of this teams injuries and bar none the worst S&C coach ever. Kick him outta here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts