MIKE MCCARTHY FIRED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well. If Rodgers lights it up next 4weeks..th4n 5hecase of him wanting mm fired is stronger
Very true. ARod’s heart has not been in it this season. And I blame him for that. He’s paid to produce. Maybe the situation with MM was that bad and it did affect his play. But yeah, the next 4 games will be interesting.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone concerned that doing it like this, they just sent a clear message to all the players and all potential coaches that the QB is more important than YOU!?
Not the QB, WINNING, it's the NFL, Not For Long if your not winning. And not winning with the QB he had was inexcusable. I'm hoping he isn't the last, please get a special teams coach. Oh, and a FB :)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tony Dungy is visibly shook by the McCarthy firing. “You just don’t do that to a SB winning coach in the middle of the season". GTFOOH!
Yeah I saw that. This is a business after all, with no room for sentiment. And MM will be paid very, very well to do nothing next year if he chooses, or if no one hires him. He’s been mentioned for the Cleveland job. Dorsey and Wolf are too smart to hire MM. Ain’t gonna happen.

Northwoods

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well. If Rodgers lights it up next 4weeks..th4n 5hecase of him wanting mm fired is stronger
I hope this doesn’t happen. All it would show is that the team is controlled by the QB. That’s not good for trying to find a new head coach.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. Would have like Pettine as interim, but maybe they want to see him keep coaching up this D for rest of year.
I think Philbin held the title of Assistant Head Coach.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that. This is a business after all, with no room for sentiment. And MM will be paid very, very well to do nothing next year if he chooses, or if no one hires him. He’s been mentioned for the Cleveland job. Dorsey and Wolf are too smart to hire MM. Ain’t gonna happen.
Yes, it will be very telling whether the Browns go with MM or someone else.

Reaction score
For all you bleeding hearts that was calling for MM head, it finally happen and now you call:

Not fair
Should waited until after the season

I don't under understand it.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was actually our CEO who pulled the trigger, but I suspect Gute will be in charge of the next guy and lay down a hard line too though.

The way I saw it, Murphy was either going to announce that MM was gone at the end of season, or possibly fire him before it was up. He probably figured even if winning would do nothing at this point, he still knows Gute and the new HC need to see which of Ted's players are worth keeping going forward. Firing MM may have been the best way to do that as well as letting potential candidates know their dream job of working with Rodgers is now open.
I'm not so sure Gute. will have the power to hire the new HC. Doesn't he only have power over players?

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no way Philbin should even be considered for HC anymore than MM should have been considered to keep the job.

I believe he will only get to serve as interim and then out. Whether it was him or Pettine getting that, it's not going to make a difference.

As to firing MM and not being classy, hey I hate to see the ending come to this. Really was hoping we could move on in a better way, but the snowball turned into an avalanche that was rolling out of control and had to be stopped. Not great optics certainly, but ... Really it was either pull the trigger or announceme he would be gone at the end of the season.

Although who knows, maybe angry callers called into WTMJ and Mark Murphy got worried he needed to show action to his ticket holders.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so sure Gutenberg will have the power to hire the new HC. Doesn't he only have power over players?
You’re right, under the current org structure where MM, RB, and Gluten report to Murphy.

That’s a lousy org structure. The HC and Russ Ball should report to the GM, and the GM should have the final say on who will be the next HC.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so sure Gutenberg will have the power to hire the new HC. Doesn't he only have power over players?

Murphy did put MM under his control at the beginning of this year, but I can't see him keeping that system in place. I believe he will return the structure to the way it was.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
And if he continues to play the way he has, who would want to be the head coach of a grossly overpaid 35 year old stubborn, slow to adapt QB with a growing injury history and the inevitable diminishing skill set. For all of Packernation I truly hope he does light it up for the rest of the year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You’re right, under the current org structure where MM, RB, and Gluten report to Murphy.

That’s a lousy org structure. The HC and Russ Ball should report to the GM, and the GM should have the final say on who will be the next HC.
It maybe fixed now..

BTW.. MM doesn't report to him now

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although who knows, maybe angry callers called into WTMJ and Mark Murphy got worried he needed to show action to his ticket holders.
Can you cited one example of Mark Murphy doing a knee jerk reaction in the last decade as Packer President?

If he listened to angry fans like some of our posters, why were would we be? Some caller to local radio wants Gute fired because he didnt get enough talent this last year. I wonder if any GM would take a job when the last guy was given less than a year to turn a franchise around.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I cant believe they cancelled The Mike McCarthy show like that. The last episode ended on such a cliffhanger...

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we finally have a GM who isn't scared to rattle cages

I didn't think our GM had the authority to fire McCarthy? I'm sure, even if it was a Murphy decision Gute had some input. At least I hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts