MIKE MCCARTHY FIRED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bradshaw was probably drunk on the air again, fox nfl coverage is hard to watch.

Aikman is strange as well, I think joe buck is rubbing off on him after all these years.

These guys are not exactly the pinnacle of sports broadcasters.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/10/15/terry-bradshaw-mike-mccarthy-aaron-rodgers/

Back at the end of 2016 Bradshaw said he'd take McCarthy over Rodgers. It has been clear over time Terry much prefers his era's attitude over today's football guys as he's also been very critical of Steeler successors Mike Tomlin and Ben Roethlisberger. McCarthy seems to have an old school persona about him Bradshaw approves.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wanna thank Mike McCarthy for the 13 years he gave for this team. He came in and cleaned up the mess that Mike Sherman left and brought a Title back to Green Bay but the time was up and it was time to move on.
Feels like the same speech after TT was demoted. :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well speculation will abound now on who the holdovers will be on MM's staff that the new guy will keep. I'll say who must follow MM out the door swiftly

1. Ron Zook - I do not ever want to see that buffoon on the sideline coaching our special teams again. Awful on every level, and he needs to go pronto.

2. Joe Whitt - Ruined HHCD, D Randall, Hyde and Heyward and is already ruining Josh Jackson. I want him outta here at seasons end.

3. Mark Lovat - Responsible for all of this teams injuries and bar none the worst S&C coach ever. Kick him outta here.

I think just about every coach will be gone when the dust finally settles. The new HC will handpick his own staff and really the only thing that will change that might be keeping Pettine and possibly anyone he insists should stay. But it also won't surprise me to just see a complete clean sweep.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I get some fans thinking this was "too quick", "not the way to treat MM" and felt "too knee jerk to the loss today", but I am guessing this was a situation discussed, made and well thought out ahead of time. Point blank, Murphy, perhaps Gute and the powers to be (executive board) had decided that MM was out and that he was given his own rope to dictate when that would be, probably either mathematically eliminated from the playoffs or when the team just looked poorly coached. Today both things lined up and it was time. I understand that to some this felt cold and harsh but IMO it was a pre-made decision that was delivered at a time that benefited the team. Keeping MM around for 4 more games really doesn't do much for the team. Another month of speculation, distractions and bad blood boiling. The 2018 Packer season, as far as extending beyond the regular season (the goal) basically ended today, so why not spend the last month acknowledging change is needed and stop pretending things would get better with or without change?

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In all honesty McCarthy should have been gone after the 2014 season at the latest he got too comfortable and Rodgers pulled his butt out of the fire too many times. Thompson should have been gone in 2013 when it became apparent his dumb philosophy of Only draft and develop wasn't going to work. Capers should have been gone in 2012 nuff said on that one. And Murphy should have been gone in 2015 at the latest for keeping these guys around and cosinging their foolishness. Matthews should have been gone in 2015. We should have kept Hyde gotten rid of Cobb and kept Jordy. And does anybody miss Nick Collins?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
In all honesty McCarthy should have been gone after the 2014 season at the latest he got too comfortable and Rodgers pulled his butt out of the fire too many times. Thompson should have been gone in 2013 when it became apparent his dumb philosophy of Only draft and develop wasn't going to work. Capers should have been gone in 2012 nuff said on that one. And Murphy should have been gone in 2015 at the latest for keeping these guys around and cosinging their foolishness. Matthews should have been gone in 2015. We should have kept Hyde gotten rid of Cobb and kept Jordy.
People in draft room for last few TT ones were fighting with him. They wanted TJ watt. He said no

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In all honesty McCarthy should have been gone after the 2014 season at the latest he got too comfortable and Rodgers pulled his butt out of the fire too many times. Thompson should have been gone in 2013 when it became apparent his dumb philosophy of Only draft and develop wasn't going to work. Capers should have been gone in 2012 nuff said on that one. And Murphy should have been gone in 2015 at the latest for keeping these guys around and cosinging their foolishness. Matthews should have been gone in 2015. We should have kept Hyde gotten rid of Cobb and kept Jordy.
Maybe in hind site yes, but there wasn't nearly the separation of "almost a great team" back during that time, than there is now. With what the Packers had going up until last season, it was easier to just say, "change one coach or a few players and we win the NFCCG and get to the Super Bowl."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
People in draft room for last few TT ones were fighting with him. They wanted TJ watt. He said no
Sadly, I think TT won a few too many of those battles and it has left the Packers a shell of a team that they once were.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Makes sense to me. While Murphy is the president and chief executive officer with the powers, I have to believe Gute is the one being trusted to make most of the actual Football related personnel decisions.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m over my feelings of sadness now that I’ve gotten to digest this a bit. I don’t think it was a cold and unclassy move like others have mentioned. McCarthy is still rich and now gets to enjoy the holidays with his family, go back to the drawing board with some time on his hands to tweak his system, clear his mind and likely have pick of the litter at what HC position he wants next season. He will be a hot commodity imo.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly, I think TT won a few too many of those battles and it has left the Packers a shell of a team that they once were.

Speculating some here, but from what I've heard, TT might be starting to demonstrate some early signs of dementia. I don't know to what degree that may have impacted us the last few years, but it couldn't have helped.

I'd also imagine that's why they wanted to fast track his Packer HOF inauguration while it's still soon enough for him to appreciate it.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speculating some here, but from what I've heard, TT might be starting to demonstrate some early signs of dementia. I don't know to what degree that may have impacted us the last few years, but it couldn't have helped.

I'd also imagine that's why they wanted to fast track his Packer HOF inauguration while it's still soon enough for him to appreciate it.

Who cares. People have been kissing TT’s *** about 10 years too long. I wish he had never darkened the door

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*****.... he built a damned Super bowl team... but good job showing your ignorance.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He “built” a team that backed into the playoffs, got hot and won it all. That’s wonderful. That’s the extent of his resume with Favre and Rodgers as his QB? Yeah.... color me not impressed. Ozzie Newsome did it twice with Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.