Louis Nix III

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McKain's analysis is very revealing and a cause for concern. I think Nix would be a better pick than Hageman if we were going to draft a DL in the 1st round. If he was drafted, I hope that his drop in performance in 2013 is more a matter of injury but this is what worries me the most:

"At the same time, he seemed to develop a bit of a habit of coming up high as his burst lessened. This makes a lot of sense considering that Nix was dealing with injuries his senior year, and it's certainly a cause for concern. Despite the drop off in initial burst, Nix made up for it with his tremendous functional strength, anchor, and leverage."

H

HardRightEdge

I hope he does something disappointing at the Combine to bring his value down to #21, if it's not there already.

He's an NFL-ready big body, something we're going need, likely x 2.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone posted a mock the other day that had him and his teammate dropping to the 2nd round which kind of surprised me but again it was just someones mock.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone posted a mock the other day that had him and his teammate dropping to the 2nd round which kind of surprised me but again it was just someones mock.

I don't see that happening. Not unless his combine sucks. He's a mid to mid-late 1st round pick at this point and the top NT in the draft.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 3-4 nose tackle is arguably the most important position in a 3-4. Louis Nix III is my guess in the first round if he's on the board. Key word on the board.

I also think it makes the most sense for them to go with Nix III and Boyd inside and grab a safety later in the draft or move Hyde over if Clinton-Dix is off the board (most likely).

I've correctly guessed Bulaga, Sherrod and Datone Jones all in the first round, so maybe my + .500 batting average will continue... Not that I'm locking this in as my answer yet.. :inlove:

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 3-4 nose tackle is arguably the most important position in a 3-4. Louis Nix III is my guess in the first round if he's on the board. Key word on the board.

I also think it makes the most sense for them to go with Nix III and Boyd inside and grab a safety later in the draft or move Hyde over if Clinton-Dix is off the board (most likely).

I've correctly guessed Bulaga, Sherrod and Datone Jones all in the first round, so maybe my + .500 batting average will continue... Not that I'm locking this in as my answer yet.. :inlove:

After his combine I'm not sure Clinton-Dix is a guy I want to spend a first round pick on. Of course he could vastly improve his 40 time at his pro-day but 4.58 in the 40 is not a first round safety (we already have a strong safety, we need a free safety).

D

Deleted member 6794

After his combine I'm not sure Clinton-Dix is a guy I want to spend a first round pick on. Of course he could vastly improve his 40 time at his pro-day but 4.58 in the 40 is not a first round safety (we already have a strong safety, we need a free safety).

Jairus Byrd had a 4.60 40-yard time at his pro day. Straight line speed isn´t the perfect measurement for a DB. I´m a little bit worried about his 3 cone drill though.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jairus Byrd had a 4.60 40-yard time at his pro day. Straight line speed isn´t the perfect measurement for a DB. I´m a little bit worried about his 3 cone drill though.

I'm not trying to say they'll definitely be bad pros, just that guys like Byrd are the exception and you don't generally draft a guy that has to be an exception in the first round.

H

HardRightEdge

Nix put up unimpressive Combine numbers, so I'm liking our chances.

On tape he reminds me of Raji with a little less nimbleness but more motor. You don't see this guy get moved backward, he slides pretty good, and he'll get out in pursuit even if he's not Dontari Poe. I'll take it, to anchor this line.

raj34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't want another fat guy. Spending high first round picks on guys that eat up blocks is a waste of resources. Does anybody here know who the starting nose tackle for the 49ers was the past three years?

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't want another fat guy. Spending high first round picks on guys that eat up blocks is a waste of resources. Does anybody here know who the starting nose tackle for the 49ers was the past three years?
Glad that we are spending time on draft evaluation now that TT has once again opted to participate in the "back of the bus" FA activity!

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope we don't get Nix would rather have Raji back than Nix. Just don't think Nix is very good. Even if raja I walks I'd hope for Daniel McCullers in like the fourth round not Nix in the first.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't want him at 21. They way we use nose tackles, it would be a total waste to use a first round pick on one. First rounder on a drain plug. No thanks. We can get that in 4-7.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh, there are a lot of 3-4 teams who are built around their NT. Without a good one you get run on all day long and your linebackers get owned play after play. People who know what they're watching know when the defensive stuff is due to the guy making the tackle and when it's due to someone else who makes the play that someone else gets a stat for, and big guys in the middle do that all the time. If he's as good as they say then he'd be an awesome pick up at 21. Everything on our defense from pass rush to coverage gets better if we can stop the run and force second and long and third and long. Just because it's not glamorous or what some talking head on espn would call him a "playmaker" doesn't mean he's not the best player on the field. See Wilfork, Vince and Ngata, Haloti.